Turtle Beach Ear Force X4 $150 @ Buy.com

[quote name='Scorch']I still don't understand what's so special about these headphones.[/QUOTE]

They're overpriced so people automatically think they're great.

They are also pretty much the only wireless headset that works with 360....

Anyways i ordered a pair of these using the 50% off accessory coupon from amazon. Think i paid $30 out of pocket and traded in a dozen crappy games i've had for 2+ years and couldn't sell so I can't complain. Hopefully they arrive soon.

[quote name='omyard']They're overpriced so people automatically think they're great.[/QUOTE]

That's what I figured. I understand they're headsets, and wireless.. but the wired headset plugs into a wireless controller.. so..

The only headset that I would approve of for that price is a Bose headset, which I already have. Granted, there's no mic for XBox Live, but that could be a blessing.

When I was a game tester, the company I worked for had us use these for sound. In my opinion, these were some of the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever worn. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a pair, let alone $150.

[quote name='Scorch']That's what I figured. I understand they're headsets, and wireless.. but the wired headset plugs into a wireless controller.. so..

The only headset that I would approve of for that price is a Bose headset, which I already have. Granted, there's no mic for XBox Live, but that could be a blessing.[/QUOTE]
Not that I think these things are great or even a deal, but I really think you are confusing headset with headphones. The headset plugs into the controller and you hear people talking. These allow you to hear the game as well as people talking so you don't disturb everyone in your house with loud gameplay.

2nd, saying this is overpriced (which I likely agree with) but not a Bose headset. :roll:

[quote name='Brian9824']They are also pretty much the only wireless headset that works with 360....

Anyways i ordered a pair of these using the 50% off accessory coupon from amazon. Think i paid $30 out of pocket and traded in a dozen crappy games i've had for 2+ years and couldn't sell so I can't complain. Hopefully they arrive soon.[/QUOTE]

X3's are wireless as well

I actually paid 12.99 for mine. And here is how.

Amazon trade in $50 and get 50 % 0ff

So, my amazon price was 159.99 (right now they bumped it to 166.99)

- 80.00 (50% off deal)
- 51.00 (trade in amount)
- 16.00 (ECA 10% discount, sign up it will save u money)
--------------------------------------------------------
12.99 (final price)

I think I remember from a CAGcast long ago that both Cheapy and Wombat used these headphones and had nothing but positive things to say about them (except maybe for the price).

There were multiple Cagcasts where both of them applauded these left and right.

I nearly went out and dropped the cash to pick them up - still might! A good deal on eBay is around $110-$120 with free shipping, check there first.

[quote name='Scorch']That's what I figured. I understand they're headsets, and wireless.. but the wired headset plugs into a wireless controller.. so..

The only headset that I would approve of for that price is a Bose headset, which I already have. Granted, there's no mic for XBox Live, but that could be a blessing.[/QUOTE]

even then bose headset is kinda crappy.

I have the X4 and love them. They're comfortable (although that trait will always vary from person to person) and the 5.1 sound works extremely well. I was quite surprised at how good they are.

[quote name='Scorch']I still don't understand what's so special about these headphones.[/QUOTE]

1. Wireless Dolby 5.1 sound
2. Integrated Xbox Live chat (plugs into controller). You can adjust the volume independently, and it's mixed in with the game sound. When you wear a regular XBL headset, you've got something blocking one of your ears, so you basically lose a lot of what makes surround sound so good!
3. Comfortable (subjective)

My only complaint is that there is some slight hiss which is apparently caused by plasma tv interference. Still, I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

The headphones are nice. But $150 is definitely not worth it. If they were useable with more than the 360 (no mic with computer usage), then I'd reconsider...But being a longtime owner (4 days), and having paid full retail price (-$3.42)....I can tell you that these headphones are definitely nice but weren't worth $150.

Really, it's up to you...If you're willing to spend $150 for headphones and a mic for the 360, go ahead...These are definitely the best choice.

Well, it looks like I'm in the minority here. My main complaint with the headphones was that the ear pieces were not large enough to properly cup my ears like they should. They seemed to press down on the edges of my ears which left them feeling very irritated and sweaty once I removed the headset.

Take into account that I have mid to large size ears (not huge, but I'd say they are bigger than normal), and I was wearing the headset for 4 - 5 hours straight three times a day, seven days a week, for two months. It's pretty easy for a headset to get uncomfortable in those conditions. Man, I hated crunch time.

The X4's are fantastic.

Anyone who's going to scoff at them and mention Bose in the same sentence probably won't notice a difference anyway.

Pretty much every serious A/V forum on the spacewebs agree: Bose is trash.

i want these so bad, but they are too pricey. You can buy a basic surround sound system for the same amount and more than one person can enjoy it that way. But I understand why people want this as well.
151l1259.jpg

Really interested in picking these up but does anybody know if there's any headsets up there like this that works with the 360 AND PS3? I know it's probably too good to be true but one can always dream right? :D

I've heard many good things about these headsets, but even at this discounted price I can't justify a purchase.

These headsets are pretty nice. I stop using my surround sound and instead use these headsets most of the time.

Great when you don't want little ears to hear mature language when playing titles like COD4 or WaW.

Thanks for the heads up OP. But I'm still holding out until they go under $100. I imagine they will at holiday time. Or if they come out with X5's eventually.

$139 at Best Buy, if you can find them in stock.
They have stopped stocking them.
I've got mine hooked up directly to my Stereo Receiver's Optical Output connection. So I can watch all of my 5.1 sources with these (blu ray, hd-dvd, dish hd, 360).
So far, I like em.
A little hiss. But very little.

So are there any 5.1 headphones people recommend instead of these, I'm just looking for 5.1 and don't care about the chat function, wireless would be nice. Here is what I found on Amazon, most of these compatible with the 50% off code.

Beyerdynamic MMX 300 PC Gaming Premium Digital Headset with Microphone (too expensive for me, not sure what that analog allows connections for)

Ear Force X4 Dolby Digital Wireless (Headphones) (Not sure if its worth the cost above the X3 or X1)

Sennheiser PC 350 Gaming Headset (look like may be PC only, though Amazon lists them as PS2)

Ear Force X3 Headset: Chat + Wireless Game Audio, for Xbox 360 (don't know how good they are compared to X4)

Creative Labs 51EF0210AA003 Fatal1ty USB Gaming Headset with Sound Blaster X-Fi Technology (Black)

Ear Force P21 Gaming Headset for PlayStation 3 (Not out till mid August)

TekNmotion Pulsar SX PC Gaming Headphone (Supposedly these will work with PS3 dont know how... maybe through its "The Pulsar SX supports both 7.1 channel virtual surround sound using a USB 2.0 connector and 2.1 channel stereo sound using a standard 3.5-millimeter audio plug."
Pretty awesome for only $60.)

Ear Force X1 Stereo Headset with Chat (looks nice and cheap)

These are not eligible for the 50% off but they really seem like they might be better than others above for gaming on consoles including the X4.

TRITTON AXPRO True 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound Gaming Headset for XBOX, PS3 and PC Gaming.

Tritton AX360 True 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound Gaming Headset

[quote name='CheapyD']1. Wireless Dolby 5.1 sound
2. Integrated Xbox Live chat (plugs into controller). You can adjust the volume independently, and it's mixed in with the game sound. When you wear a regular XBL headset, you've got something blocking one of your ears, so you basically lose a lot of what makes surround sound so good!
3. Comfortable (subjective)

My only complaint is that there is some slight hiss which is apparently caused by plasma tv interference. Still, I'm very satisfied with the purchase.[/QUOTE]

It is also caused by having your headphones and receiver in the sunlight, because they used IR waves which are also emitted by sun. So, try to keep it in a dark place.

I have the X3 model I got cheap thanks to some gift cards and i like them a lot. But if im going to shell out alot more for some really good ones I would rather get the MLG headset.

[quote name='DarkBruce85']I have the X3 model I got cheap thanks to some gift cards and i like them a lot. But if im going to shell out alot more for some really good ones I would rather get the MLG headset.[/QUOTE]

Dont Get the MLG Headset, i personally have the x3's and got them @ $20 outta pocket thanks to some sponsors, but even x1's are alright if your just play gamebattles or being a pub*

you can use these with any 5.1 source, but the chat mic only will work with a 360. I have had these for about 6 months, and with a dolby digital movie it sound fairly convincing. There is always a slight hiss but for me I usually have it so loud I can't hear it anyway. I mostly use these for watching movies in bed. Worth if for 150 or less.

How bad is the plasma interference on the x4's? I'm considering picking them up once I receive my 50% Amazon code, but my TV is a Samsung plasma, and given some of the reviews I'm hesitant to take the plunge.

I got these when they were 140 at amazon in January and hated them. There is always a hissing no matter where I would sit or how many new batteries I threw at it. I even have an LCD and not a plasma. Also when playing any game with guns the speakers sounded terrible. Plugging in the mic added to the amount of hissing. I sold them about two months later. If I get another set I'll probably get the tritton ax pros. I've read a lot of good things about that pair.

FYI, these headphones will NOT accept DTS Master Audio. I tried out a Blu ray with it, and I got no sound at all. So far, that's the only format that hasn't worked.

[quote name='J7.']Are you selling 2 pairs?[/QUOTE]
I have a 3rd pair for the same price. For your 5th and 6th ear. :)

Bought these last year and even before they even got to my house I had ordered Astros set. Stupid friend's just convinced me to burn more money. I thought I could sell or trade but no one wants.

[quote name='Brian9824']They are also pretty much the only wireless headset that works with 360....

Anyways i ordered a pair of these using the 50% off accessory coupon from amazon. Think i paid $30 out of pocket and traded in a dozen crappy games i've had for 2+ years and couldn't sell so I can't complain. Hopefully they arrive soon.[/QUOTE]

How did you get the 50% off an accessory coupon?

[quote name='J7.']So are there any 5.1 headphones people recommend instead of these, I'm just looking for 5.1 and don't care about the chat function, wireless would be nice. Here is what I found on Amazon, most of these compatible with the 50% off code.

Beyerdynamic MMX 300 PC Gaming Premium Digital Headset with Microphone (too expensive for me, not sure what that analog allows connections for)

Ear Force X4 Dolby Digital Wireless (Headphones) (Not sure if its worth the cost above the X3 or X1)

Sennheiser PC 350 Gaming Headset (look like may be PC only, though Amazon lists them as PS2)

Ear Force X3 Headset: Chat + Wireless Game Audio, for Xbox 360 (don't know how good they are compared to X4)

Creative Labs 51EF0210AA003 Fatal1ty USB Gaming Headset with Sound Blaster X-Fi Technology (Black)

Ear Force P21 Gaming Headset for PlayStation 3 (Not out till mid August)

TekNmotion Pulsar SX PC Gaming Headphone (Supposedly these will work with PS3 dont know how... maybe through its "The Pulsar SX supports both 7.1 channel virtual surround sound using a USB 2.0 connector and 2.1 channel stereo sound using a standard 3.5-millimeter audio plug."
Pretty awesome for only $60.)

Ear Force X1 Stereo Headset with Chat (looks nice and cheap)

These are not eligible for the 50% off but they really seem like they might be better than others above for gaming on consoles including the X4.

TRITTON AXPRO True 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound Gaming Headset for XBOX, PS3 and PC Gaming.

Tritton AX360 True 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound Gaming Headset[/QUOTE]

All of the good headsets you can purchase aren't 5.1 (Dolby or 5 speakers + Subwoofer), they are old-fashioned two-channel headphones. High quality sound, but two-channel nonetheless.

You buy a receiver with Dolby Headphone technology. It uses an algorithm and processes a two-channel source into surround sound.

The last time I checked (it was at least a year ago), the receivers with this feature were $500+.

[quote name='pjb16']Not that I think these things are great or even a deal, but I really think you are confusing headset with headphones. The headset plugs into the controller and you hear people talking. These allow you to hear the game as well as people talking so you don't disturb everyone in your house with loud gameplay.

2nd, saying this is overpriced (which I likely agree with) but not a Bose headset. :roll:[/QUOTE]

lol agreed, to say this is overpriced and not bose wow :applause:
Anywho I have a X3 I recieved last year as a bday present from my gf. It's great, has nice features, and I use it all the time. Only complaint is the battery but than again I get around 5-7 hours of use each day... around hour 6 my ears get slightly sore. Extremely comfy muffs =)

I got mine and no real complaints aside from the fact I didn't have right cable to use DVI w/ these. Just ordered the cable for $10 off amazon which will solve that issue.

Comfort wise they are great no complaints. I get a slight hissing too which from what I hear is typical for all headphones of this type, the hiss is only noticeable when there is no sound coming thru them such as in the xbox live menu. Once you are in the game the hissing is not noticeable at all.

Pros:
^Quick set up. Takes only a few minutes to be up and running.
^5.1 sound.
^Sound quality is actually quite good.
^The 5.1 can be awesome in some games (COD4). It's nice to know where the shooting is really coming from, and where all the action is.
^Wireless.
^Somewhat ok price at $140 (best buy).
^Chat volume and Game volume have seperate control.
^Can hear your own voice (helps to prevent you from yelling in games). Although it has been dialed down from the X3's.
^Optical Digital input, WITH passthrough output as well. And it included an Optical cable. If hooked up properly, can be used for anything (Blu Ray, TV, HD-DVD, xbox, ps3, etc).
^Comfortable Cloth swivel ear cups.
^Microphone is detachable. And there is Less hiss when it's detached.
^Bass Boost is nice for watching movies.
^Auto Off feature. Automatically turn off if no sound is detected after more than a few minutes.

CONS:
*5.1 is Not as awesome as I was hoping. It can be great in some games. But sometimes the distinction between front speakers and back speakers isn't as obvious as I would hope. Better for games than Movies.
*Hiss. Gets worse when the volume is turned up. Not noticeable in loud scenes, but is in quiet ones. Still, not a deal breaker for me.
*More hiss with Plasma TV's.
*Over the ear headphones tend to make your ears a bit too warm after a while.
*I noticed while playing RockBand that there is just the slightest Lagg that made me miss more notes than normal. Typical of wireless technology.
*Can not handle DTS Master audio format (From some Blu Ray movies).
*If I want to listen to MUSIC, Use something else. These sound very nice, but not great. Music should not be listened to with HISS.
*Line-of-site wireless. Put your hands over the transmitters, and you lose all sound. Not that you would do this intentionally, but it just shows how important it is that you are in line of site. Actually I guess it could be a nice "Muting" feature.
*For chatting with the XBOX, you need to be WIRED to the controller.
*People have had problems with the Mic not working after a while. I noticed with mine, that I need to turn on the phones, and connect to my 360 controller, BEFORE turning on the 360. Otherwise, they sometimes don't Pair properly.

I also got these from Amazon using the 50% off coupon+ESA discount. These are GREAT, if you want no hiss (I have a Plasma TV also) set up the receiver at EYE LEVEL, make sure you face the receiver when playing, bam no hiss at all. I sit bout 8 feet away from TV, and Receiver is about 12 inches from my TV on a table

So all the X series give game audio through the headphones, right? I hate having to play at night with no sound as to not disturb anyone D;.

And to get the game audio to come through the headphones you just have to plug it into the 360 controller, and not the console, correct?

I'm thinking of just getting the X1. Are there any significant differences between the X1 and X4?

Oh so you have to plug in a USB to the console to actually get game audio with the X1?

Then the X3 sounds better right now since it's wireless...

[quote name='Aysion']Oh so you have to plug in a USB to the console to actually get game audio with the X1?

Then the X3 sounds better right now since it's wireless...[/QUOTE]

a friend of mine has the X1, and the mess of wires is really annoying. there's wires for every connection, including the power for the headphones, although that might be better if you don't wanna drop a lot of money on AAA batteries all the time.

bread's done
Back