Half-Minute Hero - An RPG in 30 second chunks - 2 Demos Out Now - October 13

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/02/13/joystiq-hands-on-hero-for-30sec/

Joystiq's impressions of the Japanese version:
hero3055frnf.jpg

Ever heard of 15 minutes of fame? Sure you have. But what about 30 seconds of being a hero? We've reported a bit on this oddly-named RPG known as Hero for 30sec (Yuusha 30), but its unique concept on short bursts of gameplay had left us baffled. How does this work? How does this translate into an engaging RPG experience? These were questions we've been wondering for quite some time now.

However, after having played it for ourselves this afternoon, we finally understand what the game is trying to achieve. Or, should we say, what one-fourth of the game is trying to achieve as Hero 30 still contains three other heroes and individual play-styles. The overall experience of the demo we've tried out is a refreshing, fast-paced take on the traditional J-RPG genre. If you like RPG exploration, but want to cut out the fat of boring random encounters and grinding, then this game might be for you.

If you've ever found yourself in the crowd that complains about how boring RPGs are because of endless grinding and annoying random battles, then you'll find no fault with this RPG. While Hero 30 does have both these elements, everything happens so fast that the tedium of these stat-gaining exercises becomes limited. How does that make sense? It will soon, keep reading.

hero30fvnefve.jpg

This is how it works. You're brought to a strange land with an old-school, explorable world map (pictured above). Your little hero is then tasked to travel this land and save it from an evil overlord. Now, you may notice that 30-second timer at the top of the screen; this timer will countdown while you're on the world map. The objective of the game is to reach the overlord's lair and kill the bad guy before the timer runs out. If you don't make it, it's game over.

So how am I going to do all that in 30 seconds, you ask? Well, in truth, you're not limited to 30 seconds; you can extend time. The game does this in several ways. For example, in areas where there are friendlies like towns or castles, the timer will freeze. This allows you to freely talk to characters or buy items. Players can also buy back a full 30-second timer from Goddess statues in towns.

hero30t325tfd.jpg

Speaking of buying stuff, you can buy equipment from stores in town or buy health back. You can replace your old sword or armor for better ones. The game auto-equips all goods so there is no messing around with menus whatsoever. That's the best part of this game: everything is automatic, even the manner in how you collect gold to pay for these items.

Yes, that means battles are automatic too. As your hero explores the world map, he'll encounter random beasts. The game then transitions to a battle screen like a traditional J-RPG, but unlike the tradition, these battles are automatically and swiftly played out by the AI. This, of course, sounds like it takes away an aspect of control from the player, but this really only just helps speed up the process. Your character is only capable of one thing anyway, and that's attack. The only influence on battles the player has is the option to flee, which can be done by holding down the X button.

Everything in battle is automated: from the damage you deal, to the damage you receive. And because of this, everything happens lightning fast. Leveling up is done in an instant, too. My stage results indicated that I reached level 20 in under four minutes. Since everything is all about speed, dying doesn't net a game over; it instead sets your character back to the beginning of the map with the timer still running and your attained level intact. Since you don't have much control over battles, the game makes up for it by giving you infinite retries until the timer runs out.

hero30mfrnrnf.jpg

With almost everything in the game automated, the focus of the difficulty zones-in on utilizing limited resources smartly while racing the clock. You've only got so much time to collect gold to pay off the Goddess for more time (which the price thereof goes up by 100 after each purchase). This is necessary as it's impossible to take out the final boss without spending time "grinding" to get to a higher level. Overall, this micro-RPG is really breaking the mold here. We think you should definitely give this game a try. If you have a Japanese PSN account, you can download the demo off the Store right now.
http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009...o-may-be-psn-exclusive-demo-coming-in-august/

The game may be going the route of Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! and going PSN exclusive, which would make sense for this kind of game. Also, there should an English demo coming in August so you can try it out yourselves.

Rolento will be happy about the news of potential PSN exclusivity, at least. ;)

Sweet.

The best part about these demos is that they're small enough to download directly to my PSP. I don't have to do the USB shuffle.

I'll try it out tonight.

damn... next week? I gotta save some of my cash, but I'll get this def. if the file size is small enough I'll prob get the DD version if there is such a thing.

Just got this today and it's a lot of fun. I've only played through Hero 30 VII, but it's nice to be able to carry equipment between stages now.

YOU > EVIL

God damn this game is the tits. I'm only up to Level V (played about 30 minutes total) but I am having a blast. I don't quite understand how the target times are achieved - the fastest I can do a level is about 90 seconds and some of the target times are 1/3 of that! Great concept for a game - every RPG fan (which I'm not really) should give this a try.

looking to this game hope i can get it for 20-ish. Too many games on sales or clearance this month, next month and next next month, lol

I made it to Level XV yesterday and my play time is about an hour and a half. It is still very fun. I have a feeling I'll be going back to the levels to try and get better times and be more efficient. I haven't quite gotten the feel for leveling up equipment and weapons yet (I've just been buying the stuff at the stores) but as far as I can tell this is the stuff you are allowed to carry over from mission to mission (not backwards in time though). I will be playing a TON over the next week since I'll be on vacation.

40 bucks for the d/l version? Are you serious? I thought 30 was steep for the UMD... guess I'll just have to wait for a UMD sale... give me a break guys.

This game is so very good. I haven't been adicted to a game like this in a long time. I finished it up in 3 days, putting about 12 hours into it. Loved every minute.

[quote name='Saint Noir']40 bucks for the d/l version? Are you serious? I thought 30 was steep for the UMD... guess I'll just have to wait for a UMD sale... give me a break guys.[/QUOTE]
It's $29.99 on PSN.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's $29.99 on PSN.[/QUOTE]

Good to see that the release was wrong. Still wish d/l versions weren't as high as new UMDs.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Good to see that the release was wrong. Still wish d/l versions weren't as high as new UMDs.[/QUOTE]Downloads cannot be priced lower than UMDs/retail versions because retailers who sell the UMD will get angry at the publisher/Sony. It's kind of like if a store's biggest competitor priced their games half off of them, causing them to have tiny profit margins or no profit margins, along with struggling to push out stock. It's why PS Video Store, Xbox 360 game downloads, PS3 game downloads, and PSP game downloads are priced about the same as the disc. Only way they can price cheap is if there's no retail version.

Anyway, I bought the PSN version of the game. I somewhat liked the demo, but not the biggest fan. So far, I'm really loving it. Really different and refreshing RPG.

I am so addicted. I hope this is the start of a franchise. I just figured out that there are different paths you can take depending on how you finish a level (I'm a little slow) and I have yet to try any mode other than hero. I'm up to XXV.

Sounds very interesting. It might be the first game I purchase for my PSP!

(I have two games...but they were free.)

[quote name='javeryh']I am so addicted. I hope this is the start of a franchise. I just figured out that there are different paths you can take depending on how you finish a level (I'm a little slow) and I have yet to try any mode other than hero. I'm up to XXV.[/QUOTE]

In the Hero 30 mode there are about 50 levels when you count all the alternate paths you can take.

Is there ever a point where you can go back in time but keep your equipment/weapons? I don't see how achieving some of the target times is possible unless you can skip leveling up.

It is definitely one of the best games on PSP - I'm not sure why there is no hype. This is why the PSP struggles - they have great games that work perfectly on a handheld (Exit, Everyday Shooter, HSG, etc.) and they don't get promoted but they shove GTA down our throats when most everyone would rather play that on a proper console.

[quote name='javeryh']Is there ever a point where you can go back in time but keep your equipment/weapons? I don't see how achieving some of the target times is possible unless you can skip leveling up.[/QUOTE]

No you can't. You'd be surprised at how underleveled you can beat the bosses when you have an herb with you. The target times don't get you anything in the game besides self satisfaction, though. They may unlock a title or two, but besides that, nothing.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']No you can't. You'd be surprised at how underleveled you can beat the bosses when you have an herb with you. The target times don't get you anything in the game besides self satisfaction, though. They may unlock a title or two, but besides that, nothing.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I just tried Hero 30 II a bunch of times to get the title for beating it under 30 seconds and I had to be extremely efficient by using the dash button and leaving just enough HP to beat the boss. I got it in like 28:XX after 3 or 4 times of 32:XX. I really like the challenge. PSP Game of the Year, IMO, and I haven't even touched Princess 30 and Evil Lord 30 yet.

I just finished Hero 30 XXX. It was great from start to finish. Is there an easy way to tell which levels have the branching paths? I only found one and I want to play all of the levels. Should I consult a FAQ or is there an easy in-game way to tell? I don't want to know how, I just want to know which levels (I like figuring them out on my own).

I guess I'll start on Princess 30 and Evil Lord 30 now...

You would probably be better off just looking at an FAQ.

I enjoyed EvilLord30 a lot, especially for the great writing. Princess30 and Knight30 definitely aren't as good as the first two, but it picks up at the end.

Is it worth the 30 dollar pricetag, plus how much of gameplay do you get out of it?

I am thinking of picking this up, but for 30 dollars I'm kind of iffy about this.

Enjoyed what I played while on my trip. I finished Princess 30 and am a little under halfway through Hero 30. I really don't like Evil Lord 30.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Is it worth the 30 dollar pricetag, plus how much of gameplay do you get out of it?

I am thinking of picking this up, but for 30 dollars I'm kind of iffy about this.[/QUOTE]
Same thoughts here as well. Love this game with pretty much the same thoughts about Hero 30 and Evil Lord 30 as everyone else. If I decide to get this game it'll be more towards Christmas or later though.

bread's done
Back