Starting August 1, Democrats **** us over again.

Because that +1.25% really breaks you.

Sorry kids, but 8+ years of irresponsible tax cuts are coming back to bite you in the ass.

~HotShotX

yeah, id love to have 6.25%. its a big jump and a sales tax like this is going to hurt poor and middle class families more than anyone else. still, out here in california were damn near 10% in a lot of counties, so just be glad youre not out here.

[quote name='HotShotX']Because that +1.25% really breaks you.

Sorry kids, but 8+ years of irresponsible tax cuts are coming back to bite you in the ass.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

you say irresponsible tax cuts, i say irresponsible spending, but the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I know there are other states who have had the pleasure of paying higher taxes than Massachusetts, but that's not the point of this thread. It's the fact that taxes are being raised AGAIN, and by a particular party.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']yeah, id love to have 6.25%. its a big jump and a sales tax like this is going to hurt poor and middle class families more than anyone else. still, out here in california were damn near 10% in a lot of counties, so just be glad youre not out here.

you say irresponsible tax cuts, i say irresponsible spending, but the truth is somewhere in the middle.[/QUOTE]

True, but one came before the other. :)

[quote name='Nintendonly']I know there are other states who have had the pleasure of paying higher taxes than Massachusetts, but that's not the point of this thread. It's the fact that taxes are being raised AGAIN, and by a particular party.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter so much as to who does it as it does the fact that it NEEDS to be done. You CANNOT run the budget into the ground like it was and just expect it to recover if you reduce spending.

~HotShotX

North Carolina's is nearly 8% and might be 10% next year. So, you have no room to complain.

BTW, Democrats have been in control here a LONG, LONG time. They just keep raising taxes here.

Still a low % and still not being taxed on food and clothes.

Maybe the OP is trying to make a joke. As if there would be a Mass. Republican. Haven't seen one of those for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingBroly']North Carolina's is nearly 8% and might be 10% next year. So, you have no room to complain.[/quote]
Well gee whiz tar hell, if they just keep raising taxes ever chance you get but you're still under 8%, they must be upping it by what, .015% per go round?

The horror!

BTW, Democrats have been in control here a LONG, LONG time. They just keep raising taxes here.
Hmmm. This *is* the state that gave us Jesse Helms. In the US Senate, the NC offerings have a remarkable pattern of D-R-D-R-D-R for awhile now (we'll discount that whole Dixie Democrat racist thing that skews the numbers before then). On the state side, the Dems seem to own the Governor's mansion pretty much outright. And both state houses. Huh. Wouldn't have guessed. Lived there 3 years and I *NEVER* would have guessed the Dems even split time in charge in NC. Must have been my bubble existence in Fayetteville.

Learn something new every day.

edit: If you haven't noticed by now, it's supposed to be heel. Whoopsie!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='homeland']Still a low % and still not being taxed on food and clothes.

Maybe the OP is trying to make a joke. As if there would be a Mass. Republican. Haven't seen one of those for a while.[/QUOTE]Mitt Romney was right before Deval Patrick, you know...

[quote name='Nintendonly']Mitt Romney was right before Deval Patrick, you know...[/QUOTE]

Mitt is as much as a Bay Stater as a Hillary is a New Yorker. I grew up in Mass. I know the history of Republican Governors.

[quote name='mykevermin']As bad as it is, things ain't as fucked up as they are in CA. Cal State has had two tuition increases this year: 10% and 20%.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/22/MN7018STJC.DTL&tsp=1

fuck.[/QUOTE]
Preach on, brotha' Myke. I was approved for transfer in February, and I'm still waiting on a registration date because they don't know if they'll be allowing everyone in. Long Beach and Domiguez Hills both closed their transfers, and Fullerton's taking them in as small groups because they don't know if they'll have the teachers or the classes to support the influx of students.

Might actually end up wasting ANOTHER year at the CC taking blowoff classes because I've taken everything transferable.

[quote name='JJSP']State has no money. State needs money. State raises taxes.

Welcome to America.[/QUOTE]

A bit simplistic. I would prefer this:

state has lots of money
politicians like to pay off favored groups with state money to help themselves get reelected
politicians run out of other people's money to spend
politicians need more money to buy reelection with
state raises taxes to get more money, except on politicians' favored constituencies

[quote name='kube00']Bitch some more I got 8% here[/QUOTE]

You're my hero.

Really, this thread only exists because people don't realize that actions have consequences.

YOU MEAN WE GOTTA PAY FOR THIS SHIT!?!?!?!?

[quote name='mykevermin']You're my hero.

Really, this thread only exists because people don't realize that actions have consequences.

YOU MEAN WE GOTTA PAY FOR THIS SHIT!?!?!?!?[/QUOTE]

If only we could get the politicians to stop shitting everywhere they go...

man, we're still at 5.5% but I bet it'll be raised this year somehow...

I know local county taxes are raising... because the state is actually stealing funds from the counties to pay for it's deficit.

Woah... only a 25% increase in one type of tax? Oh shit... makes my state (California) and it's tax increases look like peanuts. Just so we can quit the bitching throw another 25% on that and you'll be on par with Ca.

California had better emerge from this mess as a shining beacon of why the gov't shouldn't have such a heavy hand in every activity of it's population.

I just drive to New Hampshire for big purchases. 'Necessities' like groceries, clothes, shoes, and American flags are tax free in Massachusetts.

MN has a 6.5% sales tax on everything short of groceries and some clothing. There's also a .25% tax in Hennepin County (to build the new Twins Ballpark) and an additional .25% tax in the 5 county "metro area" to support mass transit.
All in all, an effective sales tax rate of 7% isn't all that bad. Where we really get nailed is state fees (vehicle registration, license tabs, etc...) that are significantly higher than those of neighbooring states.

[quote name='nasum']MN has a 6.5% sales tax on everything short of groceries and some clothing. There's also a .25% tax in Hennepin County (to build the new Twins Ballpark) and an additional .25% tax in the 5 county "metro area" to support mass transit.
All in all, an effective sales tax rate of 7% isn't all that bad. Where we really get nailed is state fees (vehicle registration, license tabs, etc...) that are significantly higher than those of neighbooring states.[/QUOTE]
They actually just raised it here, so its 6.875% state, and I think 7.75% in Minneapolis.

[quote name='dafoomie']I just drive to New Hampshire for big purchases. 'Necessities' like groceries, clothes, shoes, and American flags are tax free in Massachusetts.[/QUOTE]

Wtf? We get taxed on clothes and shoes here in Cali. I'd love to not be taxed on those.

It varies in Texas...

Austin sits at 8.25% ;)

To whomever said Florida doesn't have a sales tax... uh, perhaps you live in the boonies or something but when I lived in Orlando it was 6.25% iirc. Florida (and Texas) don't have state income taxes, so that might be what you're thinking of.

[quote name='mykevermin']You're my hero.

YOU MEAN WE GOTTA PAY FOR THIS SHIT!?!?!?!?[/QUOTE]
That's the thing though: more often than not, we're paying for bullshit.

Yeah, that's still a pretty low sales tax. And pretty much every state is having budget issues and raising taxes, furloughing and laying off state employees etc. etc. Not just democratic states.

The economic crises has just hit state budgets hard.

For quite a while. Got fed up with the site and had no time for boards in general for a few months while I was finishing up my Ph D. That's out of the way so I'm back to boards for the time being albeit in a more limited sense and doing my damnedest to not get into long debates etc.

Now just to find some time to actually play some games!

Makes me wonder how long Oregon will continue with no state sales tax.

Hell, Oregon residents don't pay sales tax for most things (basically everything except gas and restaurants) in Washington state either.

[quote name='elprincipe']A bit simplistic. I would prefer this:

state has lots of money
politicians like to pay off favored groups with state money to help themselves get reelected
politicians run out of other people's money to spend
politicians need more money to buy reelection with
state raises taxes to get more money, except on politicians' favored constituencies[/QUOTE]

Like the Bush tax cuts?

OP, you have it better than people in many other states right now. As said earlier in the thread, Illinois is a mess. Chicago is over 10% and surrounding towns are on the cusp of that. The state budget is a fucking disaster. All kinds of state funded/subsidized programs are getting shut down. I qualified for a good amount of state grant money for school this year, but the money wasn't there to be allocated. No MAP grant for me. :bomb: They were more than happy to loan me the difference though.

Education is the most powerful tool an individual can have in attaining some level of success in this country. It's pretty sucky that government incompetence is serving to be yet another obstacle for people trying to get a degree.

[quote name='neschamp']Education is the most powerful tool an individual can have in attaining some level of success in this country. It's pretty sucky that government incompetence is serving to be yet another obstacle for people trying to get a degree.[/QUOTE]

lack of free money for school =\= government imcompetence

[quote name='perdition(troy']lack of free money for school =\= government imcompetence[/QUOTE]

Actually, those two things are in direct correlation. The lawmakers in Illinois have been notoriously inept with budgeting the tax money brought in each year. (Corruption is a huge issue here as well.) They spout off about the emphasis they want to put on social services and education. It doesn't really amount to anything.

What are the first things they look to downsize when trying to "fix" their budget? Social services and schools. As a result of the bullshit budget cuts, after school programs that keep kids off the streets in bad neighborhoods have been shut down. Counseling centers for families and students are greatly restricted. Sizeable chunks of money are lopped off public schools operating budgets. Available grant money disappears for the year. I could go on and on. Illinois is right up there with California as far as stupid ass spending goes.

You want an example of the thing they spend otherwise useful tax money on instead? Removing that douchebag Blagojevich's name from all the Illinois toll plazas. I don't even want to imagine how much that all cost.

[quote name='Cheese']Like the Bush tax cuts?[/QUOTE]

Yes, at least partially. Just like most programs or policy changes proposed by Republicans and Democrats.

bread's done
Back