PS3 blinking red light... FIXED

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#31 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

have there been any ps3 deaths with the 80gb bc models? ive been doing what i can to clear it out of dust but i get that feeling i could clean it better by opening it up. also when you send in a bc console to get repaired and get a refurb is it still the same kind of system like if you send in a 60gb you will get another 60gb jut not yours?

#32 x3x1x

x3x1x

So fresh and so clean

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:45 PM

Fuck! This just happened to me. I really hope that youtube video up there works.

#33 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

Fuck! This just happened to me. I really hope that youtube video up there works.

Double you tee eff man...
Metaly was right, first Randy, them me, now you... Sony is remotely destroying PS3s right before the slim's launch.:lol:

#34 x3x1x

x3x1x

So fresh and so clean

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

Metaly was right, first Randy, them me, now you... Sony is remotely destroying PS3s right before the slim's launch.:lol:

That is some strategy they got there to get people to adopt.

#35 EDiddy0042

EDiddy0042

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:04 PM

have there been any ps3 deaths with the 80gb bc models? ive been doing what i can to clear it out of dust but i get that feeling i could clean it better by opening it up. also when you send in a bc console to get repaired and get a refurb is it still the same kind of system like if you send in a 60gb you will get another 60gb jut not yours?

I have not heard of this occurring with any systems other than the 60's, so as far as I know you are safe. And I believe that's how the refurb system works, although don't hold me to it as I've never done it.
Posted Image

#36 blitz6speed

blitz6speed

Broken 360 D-Pad...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:25 AM

I have not heard of this occurring with any systems other than the 60's, so as far as I know you are safe. And I believe that's how the refurb system works, although don't hold me to it as I've never done it.

I had 2 80 gig MGS4 bundles YLOD on me. Happened to my brothers 40 gig also.

#37 Magus8472

Magus8472

The Sudden Stop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:31 AM

There's no guarantee the refurb will be the same model, though it typically is.
Posted Image

#38 NamPaehc

NamPaehc

!Anihc Ni Hsan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:13 AM

Mine broke too on Monday night. Gotta get a heat gun to borrow or something, main thing I need to see if this works.

>>>Saw this on the PS boards while digging up info.

Posted Image

Edited by NamPaehc, 27 August 2009 - 05:42 AM.

2ic4l5j.jpg

#39 jonlubbe

jonlubbe

...For Great Justice!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:18 PM

The one that i got fixed by sony back in may died on me in July, now I am on my third PS3 and feeling a little paranoid about using it. Right now i am seriously considering getting a slim and selling off my old 60g. (still have a pstwo slim for BC)

Does that seem like a reasonable fear/solution?

#40 StrandedBrit

StrandedBrit

Invaders Must Die

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

The one that i got fixed by sony back in may died on me in July, now I am on my third PS3 and feeling a little paranoid about using it. Right now i am seriously considering getting a slim and selling off my old 60g. (still have a pstwo slim for BC)

That's what I did.

My original 60 gave up the ghost after 13 months. It's replacement died within the 3 month 'warranty' they give with the repair. The replacement went straight to ebay and got me a 80GB non/bc phatty. Never needed BC tbh, loss of 2 usb spots I'm living with. It's a lot quieter and runs less hot. I'm presuming the slims are even better.
Posted Image

#41 EDiddy0042

EDiddy0042

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:39 PM

If you have the PS2 for BC, then I don't see why you wouldn't do that. You would be getting a brand new system that would hopefully have all the kinks worked out and would have no issues. My only reason for keeping my 60 is that I don't have a PS2 and I still play a decent amount of PS2 games that I own and I occassionally go out and buy one or two older classics that I missed playing before. So I would say that after two glitched systems, your fear is reasonable and the solution would work out no matter how you looked at it.
Posted Image

#42 x3x1x

x3x1x

So fresh and so clean

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:56 PM

Going to try and repair my YLOD 60gb tonight using the "Gilksy fix" that can be found online. I'll report back with my results. Most likely though, if it does work I'm gonna give it to GS for $150 and pick up a slim because the early models are obviously flawed.

#43 NamPaehc

NamPaehc

!Anihc Ni Hsan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:03 AM

Gilksy's info worked for me. At least... I got it to boot, haven't tried any games. Was a little nervous because it was so quiet. Thought the fan might not be in right but it is working.

There wasn't much dust inside which was confusing. My room is fairly dusty so I figured that was the issue. I now think it was the sorry gunk Sony put on the GPU/CPU, plus bad ventilation on my part. Hopefully this new compound works better and I will take better care of where I leave my PS3 so it gets more cool air.

This was a refurbished 60GB. Went out once long ago, shipped it in and they sent it back fixed under warrenty. Then there was an issue with it back when GTA4 came out (the freezing fiasco). They offered to repair it even out of warranty then. Sent me a different refurbished 60GB that I have now. Think that was "Aprilish" of '08. No free repair this time...

Also I picked up my heat gun at Harbour Freight Tools. Had a cheap little $20 one online. But when I got there, they were on sell for $9. Only gets up to 572 degrees on low but it did the job fine. Also there is another one that gets a bit hotter, same price, but was out of stock at my location.

2ic4l5j.jpg

#44 EDiddy0042

EDiddy0042

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:03 PM

Gilksy's info worked for me. At least... I got it to boot, haven't tried any games. Was a little nervous because it was so quiet. Thought the fan might not be in right but it is working.

There wasn't much dust inside which was confusing. My room is fairly dusty so I figured that was the issue. I now think it was the sorry gunk Sony put on the GPU/CPU, plus bad ventilation on my part. Hopefully this new compound works better and I will take better care of where I leave my PS3 so it gets more cool air.

This was a refurbished 60GB. Went out once long ago, shipped it in and they sent it back fixed under warrenty. Then there was an issue with it back when GTA4 came out (the freezing fiasco). They offered to repair it even out of warranty then. Sent me a different refurbished 60GB that I have now. Think that was "Aprilish" of '08. No free repair this time...

Also I picked up my heat gun at Harbour Freight Tools. Had a cheap little $20 one online. But when I got there, they were on sell for $9. Only gets up to 572 degrees on low but it did the job fine. Also there is another one that gets a bit hotter, same price, but was out of stock at my location.

I noticed the difference in noise as well- when I first fixed mine, it was eerily quiet. And the heat adhesive that Sony used must've been made of bubblegum or something, because my cpu and gpu had almost nothing on them but a transparent coating.
Posted Image

#45 x3x1x

x3x1x

So fresh and so clean

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:50 PM

So I was able to fix my YLOD last night. Unfortunately, I managed to screw up something with the BD drive because it would take and eject discs, but they wouldn't show up in the XMB. Pretty sure it's because I accidentally broke the little flap that clamps down the connector ribbon. Then, when I was testing that out, I turned the system off without ejecting the disc first and the system didn't recognize it as in so I had to find another way to get it out. So I had the bright idea to open the BD drive myself since it was out anyway to get the disc out, which turns out is a BAD IDEA. It messes up the hinges that take the disc in, and I haven't found any good info on how to fix that yet.

So yeah, YLOD is fixable but be careful when handling the motherboard and the ribbon clamps on it.

#46 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:04 AM

So I was able to fix my YLOD last night. Unfortunately, I managed to screw up something with the BD drive because it would take and eject discs, but they wouldn't show up in the XMB. Pretty sure it's because I accidentally broke the little flap that clamps down the connector ribbon. Then, when I was testing that out, I turned the system off without ejecting the disc first and the system didn't recognize it as in so I had to find another way to get it out. So I had the bright idea to open the BD drive myself since it was out anyway to get the disc out, which turns out is a BAD IDEA. It messes up the hinges that take the disc in, and I haven't found any good info on how to fix that yet.

So yeah, YLOD is fixable but be careful when handling the motherboard and the ribbon clamps on it.

ahh the old ribbon fiasco, I was very careful with that in years past when I had to fix DRE's back in the day (Phat Ps2), like I was disarming a bomb
Posted Image

#47 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:39 AM

I hesitate to mention it, but I thought I broke my blu ray drive too.
When I was taking the screws out of the box I kept them in, one slipped out of my hand and I thought it went inside my PS3 (it just hit the PS3 and bounced on the floor), so I figured "Hold the loose parts and flip it upside down." I didn't realize the blu ray drive wasn't screwed down so out flopped the blu ray drive and the cable popped out. Luckily I pushed it in, pushed the clip down, and everything was fine.:lol:

Sucks you fixed it only to break it.

#48 NamPaehc

NamPaehc

!Anihc Ni Hsan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:15 AM

yeah the blu ray connection clip is fragile . it snaps on but not as firm as all the others on mine.

2ic4l5j.jpg

#49 xeex

xeex

To each his urn.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:24 AM

My 60GB lasted from July, 2007 to September, 2009. Got the YLOD on Wednesday.

Finally got around to fixing it today using the Gilksy videos, and it's working again. I've kind of lost my faith in the hardware, though, and don't expect this fix to last too long (hopefully through Uncharted 2).

#50 blitz6speed

blitz6speed

Broken 360 D-Pad...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:33 AM

My 60GB lasted from July, 2007 to September, 2009. Got the YLOD on Wednesday.

Finally got around to fixing it today using the Gilksy videos, and it's working again. I've kind of lost my faith in the hardware, though, and don't expect this fix to last too long (hopefully through Uncharted 2).

i would do a full backup, de-activate accounts, and trade it into gamestop while you have a working system. I believe they give you 150 for any ps3 towards a slim. I got tired of defective ps3s from sony back and forth (i was on my 6th refurb) and got a slim myself and its been wonderful.

#51 EDiddy0042

EDiddy0042

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

I wish everyone else could've had the same luck as I did with fixing their systems. I'm almost two months in on my home-fixed one and it is running as good as day one.
Posted Image

#52 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:55 PM

All this talk has me afraid of the future on my console (80gig MGS4). I opted and got the 2 yr. extended warranty from walmart. So I got just under two years to return it no questions asked. However my ps3 gets too much daily use out of it. Really tempted to just deactivate all my accounts while I can, trade it in for a slim. Hopefully get $200 store credit and throw my old HDD in the new slim. What'd ya think guys???

I got waaay too much $$$ in gameshares to be lost.
Posted Image

#53 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:02 PM

You won't be able to just install the old hdd in a new system and be good to go. Installing any hdd in the ps3, regardless if it has been in a previous ps3, requires you to reformat the hdd.

#54 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:48 AM

You won't be able to just install the old hdd in a new system and be good to go. Installing any hdd in the ps3, regardless if it has been in a previous ps3, requires you to reformat the hdd.

yeah i understand that thanx. just meant throwing my 320hdd in the slim rather than keeping the 120.
Posted Image

#55 NamPaehc

NamPaehc

!Anihc Ni Hsan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:55 AM

Is there any way this could be tied to the harddrive? I could hear mine spinning away in there, didn't notice that before.

2ic4l5j.jpg

#56 motorcitydice

motorcitydice

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:08 PM

Seriously thinking of trying to fix it myself. Got the YLOD yesterday and I don't have the extra cash to send it in to get a refurbished unit.
Posted Imagehttp://us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/visit/profiles/HonoluluBoo

#57 Ecofreak

Ecofreak

That's Ah Bingo!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:15 PM

Seriously thinking of trying to fix it myself. Got the YLOD yesterday and I don't have the extra cash to send it in to get a refurbished unit.

Give it a shot since you really don't have anything to lose. Even if you break it more, it'll still cost $150 for Sony to repair it so there's really no disincentive not to try. Just make sure you get a good heat gun and be careful!
[thread=49233]Trade List[/thread]

#58 EDiddy0042

EDiddy0042

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:06 PM

Give it a shot since you really don't have anything to lose. Even if you break it more, it'll still cost $150 for Sony to repair it so there's really no disincentive not to try. Just make sure you get a good heat gun and be careful!

Agreed. The heat gun is absolutely essential in the process, as you need to get the board heated up enough.

Also, for the heat adhesive, I would like to recommend using arctic silver 5. You can get a tube at radioshack for roughly $5.00. That is the brand that I used and 2 1/2 months later my 60 gb is still running great.
Posted Image

#59 motorcitydice

motorcitydice

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:51 PM

I repaired it myself with no problems at all... just a few differences to the hardware that was on the YouTube video. Thanks OP, this really encouraged me to DIY.

I wrote a pretty detailed write up on my experience in my CAG blog. Be sure to check them out!

Part 1: The diagnosis
http://www.cheapassg...log.php?b=10730

Part 2: The solution
http://www.cheapassg...log.php?b=10811

If you need me, I'll be probably be playing my freshly repaired PS3. :D
Posted Imagehttp://us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/visit/profiles/HonoluluBoo

#60 EDiddy0042

EDiddy0042

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:58 PM

I repaired it myself with no problems at all... just a few differences to the hardware that was on the YouTube video. Thanks OP, this really encouraged me to DIY.

I wrote a pretty detailed write up on my experience in my CAG blog. Be sure to check them out!

Part 1: The diagnosis
http://www.cheapassg...log.php?b=10730

Part 2: The solution
http://www.cheapassg...log.php?b=10811

If you need me, I'll be probably be playing my freshly repaired PS3. :D

Congrats on the fix! Keep us posted on how it holds up.
Posted Image