What games blew your mind the first time you saw/played them?

J7.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
What games just amazed and blew your mind because of how impressive they appeared/were to play the first time you ever played them?

The first time I got my hands on an XBox 360 demo unit and tried CoD2 and King Kong.. that was pretty insane.

//edit: oh, this is the old school forum

Half Life 2
Halo
Fallout 3

I've played games that are as good as those but none that made me stop and think to myself at some point "damn this is amazing".

The first time I played Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver on the original PlayStation I was completely blown away.

I've never had that kind of "holy shit, this is amazing" experience with a game since. It was probably the first time I realized what videogames were capable of.

Donkey Kong Country, I remember when my friend got the video in the mail of the game from Nintendo Power , blew our minds

The first one I can really remember is Super Mario World for the SNES and being able to use that damn cape and to ride yoshi. Before that all I could ever do was run around and jump and use a racoon tail once and awhile to fly for a bit on the NES. The SNES opened a whole new world.

Then it was on to Star Fox for the SNES, that game was really "wow" with the FX chip. :)

Of course A Link to the Past, then probably the next big wow didn't come until Super Mario 64.

[quote name='jenksalot']That robot-rabbit game that was a launch title with the original Playstation. Most recently Bioshock.[/QUOTE]

Jumpin' Flash, I believe- one of those games I always wanted but never got.

Mine are Virtua Fighter and the Holosseum in the arcade- oh, and Final Fantasy 7. I remember opening cinema-> first battles-> first boss -> timed escape -> my total freakout-> explosion -> Me thinking 'that was AWESOME!'

Soul reaver: the game was dark, bloody, and awsome, couldnt help but love it.

Jet set radio- what can i say the everything about this game was awsome.

Mario 64 - seeing mario in 3d was a awesome

Shemnue- didnt know what to expect but after a few hours into the game i was hooked.

Sonic Adventure. It was the first game that I played on the first system I bought with my own money. I was so excited to get my Dreamcast. Controlling Sonic in 3D with these amazing graphics was just mind blowing. It felt like I was free to do whatever I wanted to. My favorite gaming memories are sitting in my basement in the summer of 2001 playing Sonic Adventure, Power Stone, and Phantasy Star Online.

I got the Dreamcast that had Sonic Shuffle packed in with the system, as well as Sonic Adventure. Oddly enough, I think I only played Sonic Shuffle once. It was just so goddamn boring. It's tied with Rainbow Six as my least played Dreamcast game. I didn't have the patience for tatical shooters back then :D

I've been playing awhile so not including PC games or handhelds they are:
Space Invaders for the Atari 2600
Mario Bros. for the NES
Super Mario world for the SNES
GoldenEye for the N64
Metroid Prime for the Gamecube
Quake III Arena for Dreamcast
Soul reaver for PS2
and Motorstorm for the PS3

Double Dragon II - Probably my second video game I ever saw. Just awesome.
Super Mario World - The jump to 16 bit via one of my favorite characters.
Earthbound - This game broke the mold and was polished to perfection. Loved it.
Mario 64/Pilotwings - My first 3d games
Final Fantasy Tactics - Didn't know games like that could exist, loved everything about it
Katamari Damacy - Everything about this game (especially the polish) floored me

Very recently, probably DQIII remix for Super Famicom. I loved the OG DQ, then played Rocket Slime and DQVIII (very slooooooow) and was a bit put off by the whole series. III sucked me back in and I am in love with the DQ series. I'm talking fanboy multiple copies (to keep sealed), buying up strategy guides and toys kind of fanboy. I never do that with other series.

A lot of great games have been mentioned already. A few of mine, some repeats:
Bioshock, just great from opening cinematic to the bitter end.
Eternal Darkness: I've heard some people don't like this game but even thinking about it now gets me excited.
Secret of Mana: I loved that Sprite. I guess not so much the first time for this looking back at OP.
First time, definitely God of War, specifically for me Chains of Olympus cause that's the first one I played. And it has a damn fine first level. Just seeing the original Quake on a Voodoo (remember those?) graphics card was a wow moment.

Super mario Bros./ Duck Hunt - nes
Super mario 2 & 3 -nes
Street Fighter 2 - snes
King of Fighters 95' 98' - arcade
Mortal kombat 1 & 2 - arcade/snes
Donkey Kong Country - snes
Metal Gear Solid series - psx/ps2/ps3
street fighter alpha/ VS series - arcade/psx
Final Fantasy 7 & 8 - psx
Resident Evil 1 & 2 - psx
Grand theft auto 3 - ps2

....so many more but mostly old school.
less and less games have that effect on me now.

Castlevania for the Famicom
Super Castlevania 4 for the snes (the chandelier level was amazing)
Metal Gear Solid 2 for the Ps2
Grand Theft Auto 3 for the Ps2 (Did I just run over that hooker?)

Donkey Kong Country - SNES
NBA Jam - Various
Super Mario World - SNES
Legend of Zelda: A link to the past - SNES
Street Fighter 2 Turbo - various
Chrono Trigger - SNES
Final Fantasy 6 - SNES
Battletoads/Double Dragon - various - single handedly made me fall in love with co-op
Grand Theft Auto 3 - PS2

...I played all these games by the time I was 8 years old other than GTA 3, and some of them remain among my favorites of all time. I had good taste from an early age XD.

For classic games its definitely FFVI. First RPG I ever saw/played, and I was amazed the amount of time one could pour into it. It really launched my love of the genre.

Of modern vintage, definitely Valkyria Chronicles. I spent the first 4-5 hours of that game going "holy fuck, this game is amazing" and spent the rest of it going "wow, I was totally correct in my first impression".

The last Memorable one? Probably FEAR. seemed pretty ground breaking.

Since I'm a car whore. Probably any and all Gran Turismo game up until GT5. Then I'd have to say GRiD.

I guess I have to include Gears of War for it's control system, but they got old and RSV 2 is better.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Intellivision Major League Baseball (especially compared to Atari Home Run)... :p[/QUOTE]

What was Lincoln like in person? :D

Battle Arena Toshinden instantly comes to mind. I bought a PSX after playing it at a Toys R Us. Probably the first "true" 3D fighter for being able to evade and move in and out of the background.

Most any launch DC games like Sonic & Soul Calibur. Heck even Blue Stinger looked good.

NFL 2K on the Dreamcast. The fluidity and smoothness compared to everything that was available at the time was jaw-dropping.

Terminal Velocity / Fury 3 on the PC when I was a kid

Super Mario 64 - A free roaming 3D game that looked so real!

Sonic Adventure - The first level. I remember thinking how realistic the ground textures looked.

A lot of the launch GameCube games at Cube Club back in 2001 looked amazing: Wave Race Blue Storm, Star Wars Rogue Squadron II, and Star Fox Adventures were the ones that stuck out to me the most.

Resident Evil 4 - El Gigante!

Shadow of the Colossus - The sense of vastness, which I love!

I have been impressed with all of the 3D Zelda games. There is something in each one that just blows my mind.

wow, I think I have to represent the PC gaming here.....

hmm

First it was Total Annihilation (OMG build and destroy and LAN games!!!)

Blood(2) (muhahahahaahahaha Kill murder, blood, first taste of FPS)

Next Heroes of Might and Magic (fuck, gotta think, plan, build, armies, map, destroy my opponent!)

Descent (2)(3) ( Holy crap, I'm getting sick, j/k but this game's 3d is just awesome at the time)

There's plenty more but those games were just mind blowing when I first played them, all of them great examples of the genres we have today, all of them on a pc.

Mercenary for the Commodore 64

It was the first game I played on the C64 and it had a HUGE 3d planet to explore with some very interesting factions

The original Metroid. You mean the world scrolls in all 4 directions, and you can backtrack? It was a big advancement over SMB.

There is also the holy trinity of FPSs: Wolf3D, Doom, and Goldeneye.

Graphics wise, I would say Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast.

NFL Fever, yep this game was my favorite game for xbox alongside halo, I m really craving to go down to gamestop and pickup a copy. For 99 cents this game is great.

Edit- come to think of it all those games from microsoft were good, MLB inside pitch 2003 had unreal graphics, i may fix my og xbox right now play it.

Mario 64 - like many others, I got this with my N64. Completely and totally changed gaming forever for me. Blew my fragile little mind.

Final Fantasy VII - this did the same thing, except for the Playstation. I was only a couple of years older than when I got Mario 64, but it really took everything to the next level. The music was just amazing.

Chrono Trigger SNES, I use to make fun of my older brother for playing this stupid boring genre called "RPG's". ohh big deal you stand in battle, cant even control their movement.....boring...just run around...battle...run...battle....zzzzzz. I was bored one after noon , so I turned on the SNES, and decided to play what ever game was in the system at the time, and this case it was Chrono Trigger. HOLY SHIT!! I was hooked and now 14 years later, I am addicted to the RPG genre. Final Fantasy VII blew my mind, graphics, massive game, movie quality cutscenes.

Red Alarm for Virtual Boy. About 5 minutes after playing it on a demo unit at Toys R Us, I bought it and a Virtual Boy. This was after it was discontinued, so I got them both for under $50. Had I played it several months sooner, I probably would have happily paid $99 for the system and $29.99 for the game. I thought the 3D effect was great, much better than the other 3D games I've played (which at the time was only Rad Racer and Orb 3D on the NES).

These games blown me the F#$% away during the first go around.

Super Metroid
Final fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 7
Castlevania SOTN
Mario 64
Metal Gear Solid
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Final Fantasy X (it's kind of dated now but i was blown away)
God of War
Gears of War

Damn near all the Dreamcast launch titles. NFL2K, Sonic Adventure, Power Stone, etc.

Tekken for the PS. Not because of Tekken, but because of the Galaga mini game you played while it loaded.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - The first cutscene with the bridge jump was amazing.

Super Mario 64.

Super Mario 64,
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night,
Metroid Prime,
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess,
God of War,

Many others.

[quote name='dan13l858']These games blown me the F#$% away during the first go around.

Super Metroid
Final fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 7
Castlevania SOTN
Mario 64
Metal Gear Solid
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Final Fantasy X (it's kind of dated now but i was blown away)
God of War
Gears of War[/QUOTE]

This is probally my exact same list. I would probally inject Goldeneye/Perfect dark after Ocarina- but good enough.

[quote name='rumarudrathas']The first Descent game... it was also my first 3d game that I played, period.[/QUOTE]

i second that. descent is the shit.
and also the first time i played doom.
that shit was awesome.

oh and unreal, when i popped that in for the first time i was amazed.

recent ones id have to say anything by valve. i am always blown away, half life 2 is amazing those people are artists. the phsyics, the environments, the characters, the excitement.

Bioshock... well, the demo. After the initial cutscene, when the plane crashes and you are in the water I sat there for at least 30 seconds until I moved the controller and said out loud in amazement "OH! This is the game!"

Super Mario 64
Startropics
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Morrowind (because I never found a rpg so deep as this)
Turok Dinosaur Hunter (my first FPS)
GTA III

Pacman
Super Mario World
Kirby Superstar
Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Banjo Kazooie
Majora's Mask (I got a video from Nintendo and thought the transformations were amazing looking)

Definitely the following:

Bioshock
Fallout 3
Believe it or not, the demo for Force Unleashed blew my mind
Skate
Peggle

EDIT: I almost forgot Left 4 Dead. So amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BTW, if anyone has a copy for trade/sale, PM me!!!!!!!!

bread's done
Back