Best Buy PMing Used prices @ GS & GC for New

xxDOYLExx

CAGiversary!
Saw this sign at my local BB in West Jordan Utah. Anyone else seen this?
3795712726_c7e0575710.jpg

Haven't seen this, but I'm going to check out my Best Buy this week.

Actually thinking about this, this is not a bad move for Best Buy at least in my neck of the woods. Generally they only have new release stuff, so they will maybe be giving $5 off their retail price.

Holy shit. Anyone seen this sign at any LA location??? I'll pricematch a shitload of games if so. And try to combine it with the coupon discounts.

It will probably be market dependent. In major metro areas I don't see this happening, but like I said i will check out my Best Buy this week. My local store is 287.

[quote name='oscargrouch']Haven't seen this, but I'm going to check out my Best Buy this week.

Actually thinking about this, this is not a bad move for Best Buy at least in my neck of the woods. Generally they only have new release stuff, so they will maybe be giving $5 off their retail price.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing - except for older stuff (which BB has marked down anyway), GS charges nearly the new price on their used items.

So basically the amount of traffic it'll drive will more than make up for the few dollars lost per title (with the obvious hope that the shopper "buy something else while they're here")

Interesting to see, if it catches on, if it drives the price of used down (at which point they'd have to cancel it b/c it'd no longer be economically feasible, and an endless cycle would begin). It'd drive down TIV's though, so it could theoretically just blow away the used market...

but I'm babbling.

Yes but imagine getting this to work with the Edge card discount and the weekly coupons. 25% off all used games this week...

Sure it would no doubt take a lot of work and be extreme YMMV, but could potentially be worth it.

There is no way this is going to be rolled out nationwide, too complicated or they are going to require some sort of ad as opposed to printout of the website. If it was rolled out nationwide this will be abused...

[quote name='karkyco']Yes but imagine getting this to work with the Edge card discount and the weekly coupons. 25% off all used games this week...

Sure it would no doubt take a lot of work and be extreme YMMV, but could potentially be worth it.[/QUOTE]

I'd be shocked if that worked. I'm sure the language of the offer would include something about it being the regular used price. It could potentially work with used deals of the week however, but probably not % off coupons. No harm in trying though.

I hope this spreads.

The best part is the games will actually be new not "new but some employee opened it, took it home, played it, got grease stains on the manual, and its been sitting in a sleeve for a month"

Hope this come to my area, would be awesome to get new games for $5 off. At least it pays for tax and I get a factory sealed game.

not happening at my BB. Wouldn't be a great idea for them to do it since there's like 4 Gamestop around it and there will probably be used copies of every game they sell to get pricematched. I'm just not sure how smart of a decision this is. They should just start selling used games in store instead of only on ebay. I wouldn't mind buying used games at Best Buy as long as the prices are decent and they game Gamers Club, which would be an insane combo. But thats just wishful thinking.

I'm gonna check this out tomorrow, but I doubt it's happening at mine. There are two other GameStops in the same mall as the BB, as well as one across the street. Got my fingers crossed, though.

There has to be a catch. For PM, BB requires some sort of printout. Perhaps a copy of the GS web site showing the game you want to buy would suffice.

Would love for this to be at my store, but I doubt it.

It seems like areas that have aggressive Used Markets near the store. No Game Crazy stores here, so...

Jordan Landing store, I assume?

I'll have to stop and check the Sandy store on my way home from work tomorrow to see if they've got signs for it as well.

[quote name='saturnotaku']There has to be a catch. For PM, BB requires some sort of printout. Perhaps a copy of the GS web site showing the game you want to buy would suffice.[/QUOTE]

Actually BB only requires employees to make a phone call to the store that has the product you want to PM. Its just if you have a printout handy, sometimes the employees are too lazy to call and theyll match it for you, even though their policy requires the employee to call to check if its in stock. But my stores not doing this anyways. Sadface.

This is definitely nothing to get worked up about. Used games go for... what... three to five bucks cheaper? That's not really much of a deal, nor is it even really much of a sale price. That's basically what you can get ALL new games for on their initial release. Especially if you pre-order them from Target with the $5 card deal. -Shrug-

[quote name='bvharris']The best part is the games will actually be new not "new but some employee opened it, took it home, played it, got grease stains on the manual, and its been sitting in a sleeve for a month"[/QUOTE]

Does GameStop still have an official policy that permits employees to "check-out" games? 15 years ago I worked for Software, Etc. and we had a log book and everything. We could check-out not only the cartridge games (SNES and Genesis) but also computer software that was on floppy disk.

I remember during my interview the manager asked if I had picked up Tie Fighter yet. I told him no. He said don't worry about, I'll make you a copy. I said cool. He said, you're hired. He was fired like 3 days later by corporate.

[quote name='Springheeled Jack']This is definitely nothing to get worked up about. Used games go for... what... three to five bucks cheaper? That's not really much of a deal, nor is it even really much of a sale price. That's basically what you can get ALL new games for on their initial release. Especially if you pre-order them from Target with the $5 card deal. -Shrug-[/QUOTE]

Indeed. I don't know why everyone is acting like this is a HUGE deal.

at 1st glance i thought it said new for new and I was like WTF, but new for used seems pretty sweet and I would definitely jump on this if it's in my neighborhood. BB definitely needs to expand this in to more markets if it's limited.

[quote name='Springheeled Jack']This is definitely nothing to get worked up about. Used games go for... what... three to five bucks cheaper? That's not really much of a deal, nor is it even really much of a sale price. That's basically what you can get ALL new games for on their initial release. Especially if you pre-order them from Target with the $5 card deal. -Shrug-[/QUOTE]

It's not but is it,

lots of people dont want to deal with GS
some people may live closer to a BB than GS
I personally come across BB GC's more than GS
If GS is out of stock on something you may be able to get it new at the used price.
competition between companies is usually good for the buyer.
GS may introduce new incentives to get back customers that they may lose to BB

Now if they would only match amazon. This isn't that grate of a deal however a few bucks saved is worth atleast checking out. I don't buy used unless all I can find is the used game and if this comes to my area I will be PMing. It is always nice to save a few bucks and like I said now if they would only PM amazon on things.

[quote name='saturnotaku']There has to be a catch. For PM, BB requires some sort of printout. Perhaps a copy of the GS web site showing the game you want to buy would suffice.[/QUOTE]

You would actually get a better deal if the requirements were to bring in a printout of the website. The company sites now seem to have better deals that are not in store and the store do not seem to price match their own site. Just ask gamestop, walmart and fye. None of them will price match their own site. Kinda odd isn't it?

I don't think it's YMMV, it's just not implemented in all stores yet. If you look on the bottom right hand corner of the sign, you see tiny writing.. this is usually a sign number from corporate (we'll get a memo saying to display soandso sign with sign number CR-5421, for example). If that's the case, we may start seeing this in all stores.

I hope.

It seems like if all they required was a printout, some crafty photo-shopper could take a screenshot of the page, throw a new lower price on the game, and try to get it price-matched. =P

But as for this, I'll continue buying used at Gamestop. I like my local Gamestop, and I like to support them.

[quote name='thelonepig']Jordan Landing store, I assume?

I'll have to stop and check the Sandy store on my way home from work tomorrow to see if they've got signs for it as well.[/QUOTE]

yes, it is the Jordan Landing Store.

[quote name='Venkman']I will gladly pay more for a new game than a used one from Gamestapo.[/QUOTE]

Good for you. Everyone else will continue to use the coupons and EDGE, save more money, and be able to buy more games. Most CAGs don't let petty, childish hatred for a corporation get in their way of saving money.

Game$top...cwutididthar?

This kind of shocks me because when I worked at Best Buy they would micro manage their margins like crazy. Hell, even the summer after the Wii was released I had a manager who refused to let us sell Wii's unless we could talk to customer and attach accessories and games then pull out the "I think we might've just received some" card. As a former retail person I'm all too familiar with the concept of using loss leaders to bring in customers, but if they're just doing this for any game they're eroding either most or all of their margin.

The hope is to make Best Buy their retail destination, but to take full advantage of this you're going to have to invest time into going to another retail store. For a typical consumer I can't imagine they're going to waste so much time for so little reward. They'll have to go into Gamestop or Game Crazy, find a used game they want, call or drive to the local Best Buy and see if they have the same title, hassle with the employee to price match, wait for them to approve or call the other store and then purchase the title. I have 2 Gamestop stores within 5 minutes of the same Best Buy and I'd just go ahead and buy the used game instead of going through all that hassle for a typical $5 in savings.

Whatever, I don't care. I the majority of my game shopping on Amazon now.

[quote name='hbk1313']Until a CAG actually buys something at BB using this offer all the speculation is moot.[/QUOTE]

I hope to try it soon, I willkeep you posted, cant find anything I want yet

[quote name='omyard']This kind of shocks me because when I worked at Best Buy they would micro manage their margins like crazy. Hell, even the summer after the Wii was released I had a manager who refused to let us sell Wii's unless we could talk to customer and attach accessories and games then pull out the "I think we might've just received some" card. As a former retail person I'm all too familiar with the concept of using loss leaders to bring in customers, but if they're just doing this for any game they're eroding either most or all of their margin.

The hope is to make Best Buy their retail destination, but to take full advantage of this you're going to have to invest time into going to another retail store. For a typical consumer I can't imagine they're going to waste so much time for so little reward. They'll have to go into Gamestop or Game Crazy, find a used game they want, call or drive to the local Best Buy and see if they have the same title, hassle with the employee to price match, wait for them to approve or call the other store and then purchase the title. I have 2 Gamestop stores within 5 minutes of the same Best Buy and I'd just go ahead and buy the used game instead of going through all that hassle for a typical $5 in savings.

Whatever, I don't care. I the majority of my game shopping on Amazon now.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I have much that is more evil than that first paragraph. As a longtime Best Buy customer, I think hearing that caused me to die a little inside. . .

bread's done
Back