Best Buy PMing Used prices @ GS & GC for New

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#31 NegativeZero

NegativeZero

CAGtastic!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:12 PM

This is definitely nothing to get worked up about. Used games go for... what... three to five bucks cheaper? That's not really much of a deal, nor is it even really much of a sale price. That's basically what you can get ALL new games for on their initial release. Especially if you pre-order them from Target with the $5 card deal. -Shrug-

It's not but is it,

lots of people dont want to deal with GS
some people may live closer to a BB than GS
I personally come across BB GC's more than GS
If GS is out of stock on something you may be able to get it new at the used price.
competition between companies is usually good for the buyer.
GS may introduce new incentives to get back customers that they may lose to BB

http://zerofigures.wordpress.com

"He should have those magic b!tches all over his jock" - CheapyD, CagCast #168

#32 Deadpool

Deadpool

I club baby seals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:14 PM

This is great news for developers! More cash in hand.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#33 NvaderJim

NvaderJim

Game Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

I usually only buy used with the coupons. Looks like Ill be sticking to GS.

#34 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:32 PM

Now if they would only match amazon. This isn't that grate of a deal however a few bucks saved is worth atleast checking out. I don't buy used unless all I can find is the used game and if this comes to my area I will be PMing. It is always nice to save a few bucks and like I said now if they would only PM amazon on things.
Posted Image

#35 squishface

squishface

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:34 PM

There has to be a catch. For PM, BB requires some sort of printout. Perhaps a copy of the GS web site showing the game you want to buy would suffice.

You would actually get a better deal if the requirements were to bring in a printout of the website. The company sites now seem to have better deals that are not in store and the store do not seem to price match their own site. Just ask gamestop, walmart and fye. None of them will price match their own site. Kinda odd isn't it?
"I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to!"

#36 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:36 PM

Wow that would be awesome... I know there would be use for this. The Shitty $5 savings is just not worth it.
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#37 Venkman

Venkman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:39 PM

I will gladly pay more for a new game than a used one from Gamestapo.

#38 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

I don't think it's YMMV, it's just not implemented in all stores yet. If you look on the bottom right hand corner of the sign, you see tiny writing.. this is usually a sign number from corporate (we'll get a memo saying to display soandso sign with sign number CR-5421, for example). If that's the case, we may start seeing this in all stores.

I hope.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#39 Rodster

Rodster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:12 PM

:lol: :applause:

#40 Rouzhokuu

Rouzhokuu

Bio-Shocked!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:21 PM

There has to be a catch. For PM, BB requires some sort of printout. Perhaps a copy of the GS web site showing the game you want to buy would suffice.

It seems like if all they required was a printout, some crafty photo-shopper could take a screenshot of the page, throw a new lower price on the game, and try to get it price-matched. =P

But as for this, I'll continue buying used at Gamestop. I like my local Gamestop, and I like to support them.

#41 xxDOYLExx

xxDOYLExx

I Swallowed A Bug

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

Jordan Landing store, I assume?

I'll have to stop and check the Sandy store on my way home from work tomorrow to see if they've got signs for it as well.

yes, it is the Jordan Landing Store.

#42 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:35 PM

Good for you. Everyone else will continue to use the coupons and EDGE, save more money, and be able to buy more games. Most CAGs don't let petty, childish hatred for a corporation get in their way of saving money.

Game$top...cwutididthar?

#43 hbk1313

hbk1313

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:43 PM

Until a CAG actually buys something at BB using this offer all the speculation is moot.

#44 omyard

omyard

dreaming neon black

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:49 PM

This kind of shocks me because when I worked at Best Buy they would micro manage their margins like crazy. Hell, even the summer after the Wii was released I had a manager who refused to let us sell Wii's unless we could talk to customer and attach accessories and games then pull out the "I think we might've just received some" card. As a former retail person I'm all too familiar with the concept of using loss leaders to bring in customers, but if they're just doing this for any game they're eroding either most or all of their margin.

The hope is to make Best Buy their retail destination, but to take full advantage of this you're going to have to invest time into going to another retail store. For a typical consumer I can't imagine they're going to waste so much time for so little reward. They'll have to go into Gamestop or Game Crazy, find a used game they want, call or drive to the local Best Buy and see if they have the same title, hassle with the employee to price match, wait for them to approve or call the other store and then purchase the title. I have 2 Gamestop stores within 5 minutes of the same Best Buy and I'd just go ahead and buy the used game instead of going through all that hassle for a typical $5 in savings.

Whatever, I don't care. I the majority of my game shopping on Amazon now.

#45 xxDOYLExx

xxDOYLExx

I Swallowed A Bug

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:02 PM

Until a CAG actually buys something at BB using this offer all the speculation is moot.

I hope to try it soon, I willkeep you posted, cant find anything I want yet

#46 BigSexy7947

BigSexy7947

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:17 PM

If this goes through, it would be a bloody good deal!

#47 BigSexy7947

BigSexy7947

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

Although, i wonder if they only price-match the games that are in ads of gamecrazy and Gamestop

#48 Stryffe2004

Stryffe2004

Overlord of the Obvious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:19 PM

This kind of shocks me because when I worked at Best Buy they would micro manage their margins like crazy. Hell, even the summer after the Wii was released I had a manager who refused to let us sell Wii's unless we could talk to customer and attach accessories and games then pull out the "I think we might've just received some" card. As a former retail person I'm all too familiar with the concept of using loss leaders to bring in customers, but if they're just doing this for any game they're eroding either most or all of their margin.

The hope is to make Best Buy their retail destination, but to take full advantage of this you're going to have to invest time into going to another retail store. For a typical consumer I can't imagine they're going to waste so much time for so little reward. They'll have to go into Gamestop or Game Crazy, find a used game they want, call or drive to the local Best Buy and see if they have the same title, hassle with the employee to price match, wait for them to approve or call the other store and then purchase the title. I have 2 Gamestop stores within 5 minutes of the same Best Buy and I'd just go ahead and buy the used game instead of going through all that hassle for a typical $5 in savings.

I'm not sure I have much that is more evil than that first paragraph. As a longtime Best Buy customer, I think hearing that caused me to die a little inside. . .
Posted Image

#49 EcchiBoi

EcchiBoi

Backlogged CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:32 PM

It's not but is it,

lots of people dont want to deal with GS
some people may live closer to a BB than GS
I personally come across BB GC's more than GS
If GS is out of stock on something you may be able to get it new at the used price.
competition between companies is usually good for the buyer.
GS may introduce new incentives to get back customers that they may lose to BB

^^ This is truth.
In addition if you have BB RewardZone you get 2% back in points ($20 certificate for 1000p) and on top of that, if you are enrolled in the RZ Gamers Club you get another 6.6% return in points ($10 cert for $150 spent in games) and on top of that, if you have the BB RewardZone Mastercard you get another 4% when you shop at BB ($20 cert for $500 spent).

For example, if I spent $500 on games in a single year (no CAG will spend this much right? but this is just a rounded # for example):

$500 spent on games at BB - I get in gift cert:
-----------------------------------------
$10 for standard RZ (2% points)
$30 from Gamers Club ($10 per $150)
$20 from the RZ Mastercard (@ 4% points)
-----------------------------------------
That's $60 per $500 spent or 12% savings on top of the price match.

Plus buying new SUPPORTS DEVELOPERS!!!
My Backlog Discussion Thread, My XBL DLC Trade List, My PSN DLC Trade List

#50 Zimmy

Zimmy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:37 PM

I think its brilliant.
Most of the time Gamestop is charging $5 off of retail for their new used games.
That is no skin off of Best Buy's nose.
Anything that will force Gamestop to lower their used game prices is a good thing.
Posted Image

#51 bkjohns1

bkjohns1

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:38 PM

When I bought a PS2 several years back at a Best Buy (should be Worst Sale), an employee was harassing me about the system because that was all I was buying at the time. I should have shoved the box into his chest and told him I was going to Toys 'R Us across the parking lot.

An incentive in addition to save $5 or more on price match would be able to get the instruction manual and cover art in an original case without the ugly stickers (in other words a complete game) as opposed to disc only from somebody "fencing their stolen goods" or the ever popular "I only keep the disc and throw everything else away because it takes up space and I like my discs scratched up."

I do all my new shopping on Amazon or Froogle.com and my used shopping on E-Bay or Amazon.

Rarely do I ever enter a Best Buy or GameStop.

#52 Royale

Royale

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:40 PM

Hey! That's my local Best Buy. Load up the kids honey, we're goin' shopping!

#53 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:44 PM

I'm sure this is a test market, like they're doing with the trade-ins.

I'd love to see the restrictions list on what they'll PM, and my guess it'll follow the rules they normally do for a PM, they need some proof. As GS & GC don't put out print ads very often, it'll be something they don't do often if they're going to require a print ad for proof.

Web site printouts can be Photoshopped, though for the BB's in my area, they have Internet access at the register at customer service, so they could go to GS.com and look up the prices, as well as call. GC would require a call since I don't think their site posts used prices.

I'm curious to see if this dies in the test market or goes nation-wide. I might give a little business to BB from GS/GC over it, since it does give developers money from the new sale versus used.

I think its brilliant.
Most of the time Gamestop is charging $5 off of retail for their new used games.
That is no skin off of Best Buy's nose.
Anything that will force Gamestop to lower their used game prices is a good thing.

I'm sure that they're getting equivalent margins on their games, though I'm sure BB knows they can get someone in the store to buy something else that they'd get in additional revenue that GS wouldn't have seen.

#54 tbolt30

tbolt30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:01 PM

Any Cincy people seen this around the best buys?

#55 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:08 PM

Hey! That's my local Best Buy. Load up the kids honey, we're goin' shopping!

Get on your Sunday Best kids, we're going to Sears Best Buy!

#56 123pop

123pop

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

This will be very good for selling the games on ebay. Ebay buyers will pay tons more for the same working game that's just sealed.

#57 EXStrike

EXStrike

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

Looks like I'm stopping by Best Buy on the way home.

#58 2n2

2n2

Pro game backlog builder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

But as for this, I'll continue buying used at Gamestop. I like my local Gamestop, and I like to support them.

:( Part of the problem.

Heh, now I know how to tease them if I ever I buy a system there. I'll just play dumb and ask for a the system and have a list of accessories I "need" to get with it, and when they're about to ring it up, decide only to get the system.

#59 iclash

iclash

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:12 PM

Saw this sign at my local BB in West Jordan Utah. Anyone else seen this?Posted Image

I live in West Jordan, I'll have to check this out. You are not my neighbor are you?

#60 spectralpulse

spectralpulse

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:19 PM

Yup, i saw it in the same store a couple days ago, Was right in front of the isle almost knocked it down. I didnt really bother reading it though. If anything this shows how ridiculously overpriced used games are. You only save about 5-10 bucks on used. But this is a great deal. Too bad they don't have Sacred 2 in stock.