Rock Revolution $5 at GameStop

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 Stealthcat

Stealthcat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:51 AM

I laughed out loud at Best Buy today when I showed my brother this game for $5. Konami is funny, they tried to make this to compete with GH and RB, tried suing Activision because they weren't smart enough to license songs to appeal to American gamers, then turn around and team up with them to make the Guitar Hero Arcade game.

#62 nnthomas

nnthomas

meeble meeble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:56 AM

I went to GS today to look for a particular Gamecube game, so I figured I'd get this. I saw it on the shelf and I flaked so bad. I just couldn't urge myself to get it. :lol
Posted Image

#63 Rollobobo

Rollobobo

EAT SHIITAKE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:25 AM

Not even worth it...PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#64 FaintDeftone

FaintDeftone

Zelda Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:28 AM

I might buy it just for the hell of it. I love these games and I might get it just for the achievement points and for collections sake.

#65 Z(+)DIAC

Z(+)DIAC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:38 AM

Hahah, this thread couldn't have been bumped at a better time...

http://www.joystiq.c...l-not-worth-it/
Posted Image

#66 sstcrush

sstcrush

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:42 AM

Sneak King was the shit!!

all the BK games were worth it, and i got the set at $5, the drum sticks are worth it <3

Posted Image

Posted Image

#67 xGunCrazyx

xGunCrazyx

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:35 PM

Was at the mall today, picked up a copy
I'm sure it's bad, but for $5 I can hardly pass up any game :-P
Posted Image

#68 FaintDeftone

FaintDeftone

Zelda Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:04 AM

I picked it up today and played it a bit. Anybody who says this game is absolute garbage simply hasn't played it, period.

Now don't get me wrong, yes the game sucks, but as a guitar game it is very competent. The note charts are decent, the game functions just fine, and some of the covers of the crappier songs actually make them sound better. The graphics are decent, it has a nice freestyle mode and recorder (which alone makes it worth the 5 bucks to me) and it offers a decent challenge.

However, some of the challenges are flat out bullshit. The poison note challenges are stupid as hell; they pretty much make you play a song while putting notes you CAN'T play on the highway and if you hit 5 of them within one song, you're done. When I play these games, I want to hit every color I see so my brain is trained to hit those colors! It is so frustrating because you basically have to memorize the song in order to get through it so you know which colors not to hit. STUPID!

The drums suck in this game too. I'm using the GHWT set and it functions fine, but the kick pedal being in the middle of the highway without that bar like GH/RB has makes it completely awful to play. I guess if you re-learn how to play drums through this game then you might be okay but I HATE that orange kick note in the center of the screen like that.

Overall the game is certainly worth 5 bones and isn't awful, but it certainly isn't good.

#69 Guest_crazy blain_*

Guest_crazy blain_*

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:16 AM

I picked it up today and played it a bit. Anybody who says this game is absolute garbage simply hasn't played it, period.

Now don't get me wrong, yes the game sucks, but as a guitar game it is very competent. The note charts are decent, the game functions just fine, and some of the covers of the crappier songs actually make them sound better. The graphics are decent, it has a nice freestyle mode and recorder (which alone makes it worth the 5 bucks to me) and it offers a decent challenge.

However, some of the challenges are flat out bullshit. The poison note challenges are stupid as hell; they pretty much make you play a song while putting notes you CAN'T play on the highway and if you hit 5 of them within one song, you're done. When I play these games, I want to hit every color I see so my brain is trained to hit those colors! It is so frustrating because you basically have to memorize the song in order to get through it so you know which colors not to hit. STUPID!

The drums suck in this game too. I'm using the GHWT set and it functions fine, but the kick pedal being in the middle of the highway without that bar like GH/RB has makes it completely awful to play. I guess if you re-learn how to play drums through this game then you might be okay but I HATE that orange kick note in the center of the screen like that.

Overall the game is certainly worth 5 bones and isn't awful, but it certainly isn't good.

Yes you've convinced me this game isn't awful

#70 Gothic Walrus

Gothic Walrus

Goo Goo G'Joob.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:24 AM

I've played it, and I'll call it complete garbage.

I've got a friend who buys EVERY music game, regardless of quality. This is the only title he's ever traded in - we were never going to play it again and, even at $10 from Target, he felt like he'd been ripped off.

ah, a voice of logic in the form of a walrus

#71 Predator Ranger

Predator Ranger

Admiral Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:47 AM

I've played it, and I'll call it complete garbage.

I'm with the walrus on this.
Posted Image

#72 VaultDweller13

VaultDweller13

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:00 AM

Well I'll agree with you. I just picked it up today and from what I've played it's not completely terrible like people say. No one is saying that this game is as good as Guitar Hero or Rock Band or that it doesn't have many annoying aspects, but for $5 it's decent.
Posted Image

#73 loc0bob

loc0bob

10 Year CAGiversay April 2014!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:09 AM

I don't understand why everybody is rippin on this game....its the greatest game to grace our greenish brown earth since ET on Atari.
Currently Playing
PS3 - MLB 13 (Go Cubs!), PES 2014, Gran Turismo 6
PS4 - Killzone - SF (MP)
X360 - TW 2014
XB1 - Titanfall, Angry Birds : SW
Recently Beat - Wolfenstein - TNO, Killzone - SF, Fable Anniversary, Splinter Cell - BL, Resident Evil Revelations, MGS GZ

#74 arthritisarty

arthritisarty

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:17 AM

I don't understand why everybody is rippin on this game....its the greatest game to grace our greenish brown earth since ET on Atari.

Oh that's really clever of you isn't it?
That surely was hilarious of you!

Great Job!

#75 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

ill get it when BB puts it on a managers clearance for $2.

that way I can get some decent cases out of it.

#76 mightymek

mightymek

Welcome to the Gutter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:03 PM

I might pick it up. $5 is hard to pass for any game, like some said earlier, but I like the music games a lot, so even it's not good, it can't be THAT bad...

Edited by mightymek, 13 August 2009 - 01:30 AM.

13374.png

Scars of Life is back in 2013. As heard on the UFC!
New album A HEART STILL BEATS is out now!  Be sure to check us out on iTunes: http://itunes.apple....-life/id6136926

#77 Vendetta_x360

Vendetta_x360

♥ 정수연

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:08 PM

eh i might bite for 360 collection purposes.

Vendetta%20x360.jpg

:3ds: FC: 4957-3481-3976 (PM me if you add so I can add you!)

Currently Playing:  :360: Red Dead, Ghosts :xb1: Watch Dogs

Recently Completed: Wolf Among Us, Walking Dead S2

#78 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Church of Falcon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

I almost bit, yesterday, but I was worried it was awful because we still haven't sold any at work yet... and now I see that it's horrible so I'm glad I didn't waste the 5.

#79 Shadowguitar

Shadowguitar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

Though it's almost certainly going to be a terrible mistake, I'm going to pick this up before I head up to NY. At least I'll get a good laugh out of it... hopefully.

#80 malfuncti0n

malfuncti0n

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:51 PM

i picked it up. i only own guitars and as a guitar game this game isn't too shabby. definitely worth $5 for the guitar career alone. it's a nice break from guitar hero, really. i like the graphics better than guitar hero as well.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#81 Gothic Walrus

Gothic Walrus

Goo Goo G'Joob.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

Though it's almost certainly going to be a terrible mistake, I'm going to pick this up before I head up to NY. At least I'll get a good laugh out of it... hopefully.

The game does have a few redeeming values - it has Finger Eleven's "Paralyzer" (which neither Guitar Hero or Rock Band have, so far), and the cover is actually pretty good.

One song, however, doesn't justify the rest of the game. Three engineering students weren't able to figure out how the World Tour drums mapped to the Rock Revolution screen, and their version of star power/overdrive is still a complete mystery to me - it took forever to get, lasted for about a second when activated, and had no discernible effect on our score, meter placement, or anything else.

If you have Rock Band or Guitar Hero, you really don't have a reason to own the game unless you're curious enough to drop the $5 and inflict the game on yourself, especially since most of the soundtrack is either on disc or available as DLC for one or both of the more popular franchises.

ah, a voice of logic in the form of a walrus

#82 Zbornak

Zbornak

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:19 AM

I picked it up, and it's not bad. It's definitely a lot harder than RB or GH - I actually failed one of the first songs on Medium due to a fast alternating section. The game is rather generic, without much in the way of style, although the challenges are a nice addition. You not only have to play the songs normally, but there are specific challenges like playing a song that increases in difficulty as you get further along, or avoiding certain black notes. These are optional though, as you can progress through the career without completing them.