New SMB Wii free collector's upgrade at GS

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#31 arthritisarty

arthritisarty

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:53 AM

Well GS used deal of the week is Z:TP for $29.99 and with edge discount it comes to $25.50 (yes, they take the 10% off of the $45 price), so there you go. Then again, thats for a used copy and not quite $20 like you requested but still =P

Complete fail!

#32 blackwaltz34

blackwaltz34

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:01 AM

im iffy on this. nintendo rarely has collectors editions of their games....sometimes theyll do a pre-order bonus though.

#33 CoffeeEdge

CoffeeEdge

Resident Communaut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:06 AM

Bullshit. Yeah, Gamestop lands exclusive in-game content all the time, but not for Nintendo games, especially not fuckin Super Mario. I'll believe it when I see a listing on Gamestop.com or a press release from Nintendo.

that and downloadable content.

Pfft. Would you say the same of any expansion pack? Nobody bitched about Brood War, man. But that is totally off-topic so Fuck that line of discussion.

Hate to inject logic, but collector's editions are made for making more money. If Nintendo made a collector's edition why have GS sell it free?

Hate to inject better research and logic than yours, but Far Cry 2 says "hi." Google it, if you don't know.

Yeah, they're to make money, no shit. But it's obviously worth it to Gamestop to have this exclusive content shit (in case you didn't read, this isn't "Collector's Edition" as in lots of feelie bonuses in a big fancy box, but instead is supposedly just extra exclusive in-game content on the disc), because even though the game is the same price as everywhere else, it gives people incentive to buy it from them, rather than Best Buy or Walmart.
Hi...

DID SOMEBODY SAY "TOOT"?!?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image I WILL MOTHERF--KING BAN THE F--KING SHIT OUT OF YOU Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 ShinAkuma

ShinAkuma

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:09 AM

I could be mistaken, but I think this is definately a possibility because Amazon lists a Collector Edition for Metroid Prime Trilogy at near MSRP ($46.99). Gamestop has it too, but also with a small art book at $49.99. One Nintendo game getting a CE is enough for me to consider another might be true.

#35 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:18 AM

Some of you seriously make me laugh with your hatred for a store.

Well, I don't hate GS, but I can't blame people if they do. I've witnessed at least twice them trying to sell extra "insurance" for games to foreigners who don't understand what they're buying--you know, in case the game gets scratched or somethin'. If I got taken by that scam, I'd probably hate them too.

Anyway, all this exclusive stuff that GS gets is to convince people to pay full price for the game on day 1 (even though people can go to Amazon, or other place, and get it for cheaper w/o sales tax).

#36 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:19 AM

I've seen that happen at every store that has ever sold game protection plans.

#37 lmz00

lmz00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:34 AM

I didn't realize Nintendo was in the "collector's / limited edition" game now

This certainly isn't new. I remember when Zelda 64 came out, those that pre-ordered got gold cartridges.

#38 InFlames215

InFlames215

DEATH TO FALSE METAL

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:39 AM

I could be mistaken, but I think this is definately a possibility because Amazon lists a Collector Edition for Metroid Prime Trilogy at near MSRP ($46.99). Gamestop has it too, but also with a small art book at $49.99. One Nintendo game getting a CE is enough for me to consider another might be true.

I believe all copies of the game have the art book. HOWEVER, you do get a shirt from Gamestop (a pretty stupid-ass looking shirt, but still). Both Amazon and Gamestop come with a poster.

I bet the Gamestop employee was just confused. There won't be a CE version of this game, they will maybe offer preorder goodies with it (perhaps downloadable content, or whatever). A CE is almost always not exclusive to just one retailer, but preorder goodies are.

#39 Rocko

Rocko

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:56 AM

Damn, is this game really as multiplayer oriented as people are saying in this thread? I was under the impression that you could play multiplayer and have it be unique, but that it was also a fun single player platformer. :/

#40 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:08 AM

Damn, is this game really as multiplayer oriented as people are saying in this thread? I was under the impression that you could play multiplayer and have it be unique, but that it was also a fun single player platformer. :/

It'll be a lot like how Four Swords/Adventures worked... it'll be playable alone but will likely be more fun with more people. If you watch some of the videos, even with multiple players, it looks like the stages could easily be enjoyed by a single player. Good alone, better with friends.

But I'm just baffled as to why they made a multiplayer centric game without online play. I mean, it's just beyond stupid. This is almost as stupid as forcing people to use GBAs/link cables to play Four Swords Adventures...

On the other hand, I would sure love some classic 2D Mario platforming...:-k

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#41 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:34 AM

I believe all copies of the game have the art book. HOWEVER, you do get a shirt from Gamestop (a pretty stupid-ass looking shirt, but still). Both Amazon and Gamestop come with a poster.

I bet the Gamestop employee was just confused. There won't be a CE version of this game, they will maybe offer preorder goodies with it (perhaps downloadable content, or whatever). A CE is almost always not exclusive to just one retailer, but preorder goodies are.

Well gamestop got exclusive Bioshock Le as well as the upcoming Assassin Creed 2 LE. And if you remember Target got exclusive Mario Golf content with different package.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#42 Nohbdy

Nohbdy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

Game isn't worth it entirely for the sole fact that it lacks a level editor.

What the hell, seriously?

#43 rodieremix

rodieremix

Parapsychologist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:48 AM

I'm thinking it'll be like GameStop's exclusive edition of "The Conduit" with different package art and a code for a piece of DLC.

#44 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

Nintendo only makes 1 version of games they release (not including Platinum Hits editions and tweaked versions of games). So...I'm not believing this for a second.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#45 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:18 AM

An entire 3 pages of nothing but speculation. Let's save some space and close this down, please, until something is confirmed.

#46 adamantypants

adamantypants

Comrade Sack

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:26 AM

^I'm with you there. As much as I enjoy letting Gamestop hold on to some of my money for a long time, I'll hold off on this until I see something official.

#47 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:35 PM

If this actually happens it would be a first. I suspect this means that they will have some bonus item you get with your pre-order, but an actual "collectors edition"? I doubt it.

Crunchewy.png

#48 turls

turls

Clouds: no, Sunshine: yes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:01 PM

Are you serious? 1st party Wii games take FOREVER to go down in price. Find me Twilight Princess for $19.99, and that's a launch title developed for last generation hardware.

Unless Wario is the star, then it drops like everything else.

#49 jkanownik

jkanownik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:18 PM

I'd bet it's real and it's one of two things:

http://www.gamestop....roduct_id=31121

http://ign64.ign.com.../zeldagold.html

And in case it' not clear from those links the CE will be the same price as the regular, just made in limited quantities.
Posted Image

AC: 4682-1344-1734 (Leenie - Home)

#50 Warlock82

Warlock82

Never pet a burning dog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

Yeah, this sounds bogus to me. I think the last time Nintendo did anything resembling a Collector's Edition it was for Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask (which only really offered the holo-lithic covers and gold carts). They definately do pre-order bonuses all the time, but that's something distinctly different.

P.S. - I'm not sure if you can really count Zelda: Collector's Edition despite the name. It was a promotional disk - not a CE version of a non-CE title. So that's not quite the same thing as what this would be.

#51 AdultLink

AdultLink

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

What people forget is that Nintendo made good games back then.
Posted Image Posted Image

#52 squishface

squishface

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:59 PM

Yeah, this sounds bogus to me. I think the last time Nintendo did anything resembling a Collector's Edition it was for Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask (which only really offered the holo-lithic covers and gold carts). They definately do pre-order bonuses all the time, but that's something distinctly different.

P.S. - I'm not sure if you can really count Zelda: Collector's Edition despite the name. It was a promotional disk - not a CE version of a non-CE title. So that's not quite the same thing as what this would be.

I'm still looking for that disc and it is STILL $30 after all these years. Who was it that said nintendo games drop in price? Even though the gc is dead this game is still holding value.

The gba mario is 32.99 :shock:
"I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to!"

#53 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:24 PM

It'll be a lot like how Four Swords/Adventures worked... it'll be playable alone but will likely be more fun with more people. If you watch some of the videos, even with multiple players, it looks like the stages could easily be enjoyed by a single player. Good alone, better with friends.

On the other hand, I would sure love some classic 2D Mario platforming...:-k

I'm just really unclear on this game. I mean if it's all multiplayer centric-if you always have all these characters on screen, then it's NOT classic Super Mario Bros :(

I really wish this was at least optionally a true, single player Super Mario, like New DS :( (and maybe it is, but doesn't seem like it from the preiviews I've watched.)

Edited by shrike4242, 10 August 2009 - 09:37 PM.

Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#54 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:24 PM

Posted Image

Target exclusive Mario Golf. It was just a code on every copy but now that the wii is online they could easily make it an exclusive.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#55 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

If it's just a code, won't it circulate on the Internet eventually; or is it a physical difference with the disk?

#56 Gohan

Gohan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

I'm just really unclear on this game. I mean if it's all multiplayer centric-if you always have all these characters on screen, then it's NOT classic Super Mario Bros :(

I really wish this was at least optionally a true, single player Super Mario, like New DS :( (and maybe it is, but doesn't seem like it from the preiviews I've watched.)

You can play the entire game with only Mario on screen.

#57 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:46 PM

I really wish this was at least optionally a true, single player Super Mario, like New DS :( (and maybe it is, but doesn't seem like it from the preiviews I've watched.

My impression has been that it is played either single or multiplayer, not one or the other. Why couldn't it be played single player? I'm looking more forward to this game then Super Mario Galaxy 2 or really more then pretty much anything else.

Crunchewy.png

#58 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:27 PM

I thought it was going to be like Super Mario Bros Deluxe for GBC: you can play through by yourself or cooperatively with other players on the screen simultaneously.

#59 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:14 PM

You can play the entire game with only Mario on screen.

Oh, okay-that and the Super Mario Bros. Deluxe comparison bodes well :)

Thanks guys! If that's the case, this probably becomes a must buy for me :bouncy:

:lol: My Wii's library may end up consisting of:
Super Mario Galaxy
New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Galaxy 2
...and that's it :lol:
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#60 Warlock82

Warlock82

Never pet a burning dog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

Yes, you can definately play it single player.