Dragon Age: Origins - Gen. Discussion & Info

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
dragonage.png

Features

From the makers of Mass Effect™, Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™, and Baldur's Gate™ comes Dragon Age: Origins, an epic tale of violence, lust, and betrayal. The survival of humanity rests in the hands of those chosen by fate. You are a Grey Warden, one of the last of an ancient order of guardians who have defended the lands throughout the centuries. Betrayed by a trusted general in a critical battle, you must hunt down the traitor and bring him to justice. As you fight your way towards the final confrontation with an evil nemesis, you will face monstrous foes and engage in epic quests to unite the disparate peoples of a world at war. A romance with a seductive shapeshifter may hold the key to victory, or she may be a dangerous diversion from the heart of your mission. To be a leader, you must make ruthless decisions and be willing to sacrifice your friends and loved ones for the greater good of mankind.

• Bone-crushing, visceral combat: Battle against massive and terrifying creatures.
  • Full character customization: Sculpt your hero in your own image or fantasy.
  • Complex moral choices: There are no easy choices.
  • A stunning world to explore: This is BioWare's deepest universe to date with over 80 hours of gameplay and more than double the size and scope of Mass Effect.
dragonage0715.jpg

preorder_collectors.png

[quote name='Bioware']We are pleased to announce the contentsof the Dragon Age: Origins Collector's Edition.

The Collector’s Edition is a premium package available in limited quantities featuring exclusive Dragon Age: Origins collectibles including a unique steel case, a cloth map of the world of Dragon Age, a Making-of documentary DVD, a digital version of the Dragon Age: Origins soundtrack, game trailers, wallpapers, strategy tips and a concept art video, plus three exclusive downloadable items that will provide special advantages to the player.

The Collector’s Edition is available for pre-order today at www.eastore.ea.com for an MSRP of $74.99 (console) and $64.99 (PC) in North America. Check with your local retailers for pricing.

As an added bonus, Dragon Age: Origins (both original and Collector’s Edition) includes two special pieces of downloadable content: The Stone Prisoner, as well as a suit of Dragon Age themed armor that can be used in Dragon Age: Origins as well as in the upcoming BioWare Shooter RPG, Mass Effect™ 2 on all available platforms.

With The Stone Prisoner download pack, players will have access to Shale, the mighty stone golem who can become one of the most powerful party members in the game, and comes with its own personal back-story and unique quests for the player to discover. The Stone Prisoner will also include new environments, items and hours of additional gameplay, further deepening the epic Dragon Age experience. The Stone Prisoner is available to original purchasers of new copies of Dragon Age: Origins at no additional cost. The Stone Prisoner can also be purchased separately for $15.

In addition, players who purchase a new copy of Dragon Age: Origins (original or Collector’s Edition) will receive a code to download the Blood Dragon Armor, an exclusive set of themed armor that will give the player additional protection in combat. This armor will be available for use in both Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2.

All gamers who pre-order Dragon Age: Origins will receive the Memory Band, an in-game item that can be equipped to add +1% to all gained Experience Points and which adds one bonus point that players can use to boost their character’s skill set. In addition to the Memory Band, several leading retailers are also offering a bonus Dragon Age: Origins item for a limited time. Players should check with their favorite retailer for additional pre-order item offerings.

Please check out the pre-order page for more details: http://dragonage.bioware.com/preorder.html [/QUOTE]​
Though EA detailed its Dragon Age: Origins Collector's Edition nearly a month ago to retail sites, the company is just now "officially" revealing the package. In doing so, it divulged some interesting details about the digital extras included in all copies of the game. Those buying Dragon Age: Origins (any edition) brand new will receive a free code to download "The Stone Prisoner," along with a "suit of Dragon Age-themed armor that can be used in Dragon Age: Origins as well as in Mass Effect 2."

According to EA's press release, "The Stone Prisoner" will consist of "new environments, items, and hours of additional gameplay," and the titular stone golem that you'll be able to add to your party in-game. For those of you not purchasing the game new, EA is offering "The Stone Prisoner" as a standalone DLC pack for $15 -- a dollar amount that makes the similarly bundled Gears of War 2's Flashback Map Pack price look like milk money. Then again, who can say no to a stone golem? It looks like we're picking up the game new when it launches on November 3.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/12/dragon-age-bonuses-free-in-new-copies-sold-separately-if-you-bu/

Pre-Order Bonuses:

[quote name='kenzo7']Here are the store specific pre-order bonuses (regardless of SE or CE methinks). I find this trend obnoxious, but I enjoy the thought of executives from the stores getting together and arguing about who gets to sell which bonus item.

Amazon: LION'S PAW BOOTS
Adds to armor, dodge, and evading missiles.

Gamestop: FERAL WOLF CHARM
With this charm, hunters claim that they are enchanted on moonlit nights by scantily clad witches deep in the heart of the Korcari Wilds. As if that's not enough, the charm also adds to your armor and increases your health regeneration.

EA Store: BAND OF FIRE
Magical fire is used with great care in the construction of these rings. After a few unfortunate incidents of singed eyebrows and burnt hair, there is some speculation that this is why the Formari often shave their heads.
• Adds to Stamina
• Adds to fire resist
• Adds to spirit resist

[quote name='Draekon']To add to the pre-order bonuses... here's GameCrazy's:

Gamecrazy: Guildmaster's Belt
The guilds of Denerim are despised by the peasants of Ferelden because the guildmasters grow fat off their labors. Quite literally in the case of this belt's former owner, who could’ve stood to lose a pound or two.
• Increase Monetary Gain
• Adds to Cunning
• Increase chance to dodge attacks[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/53109.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/53107.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/53105.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47940.html

Anyone else looking forward to this game?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is possibly my most hyped game, can Bioware do no wrong? I have the CE reserved at gamestop, due to the fact the crazy amount of items you get for preordering

Amazon also has a special pre-order bonus, and the LE there is currently priced at $69.99

Dragon_Age_Origins_LionsPaw._SL75_V218712703_.jpg

Pre-order Bonus
Pre-order today and you'll get The Lion's Paw boots which adds to armor, dodge, and evading missiles. Offer good while supplies last. Must be sold and shipped by Amazon.com to be eligible. Limit one per customer. Access codes will be sent within 10 days after the game releases.

[quote name='Draekon']So is the CE a steelbox or a shitty tin? It's difficult to tell from the picture.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was a steelbook?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Looks like it but they call it a steel case. Steelbook is a brand so, if it was I think they would have specifically stated Steelbook™.[/QUOTE]

True, but judging from the picture you can see that the case splits down the middle (top and bottom of the spine) and it's the same size as a DVD case... :)

Here are the store specific pre-order bonuses (regardless of SE or CE methinks). I find this trend obnoxious, but I enjoy the thought of executives from the stores getting together and arguing about who gets to sell which bonus item.

Amazon: LION'S PAW BOOTS
Adds to armor, dodge, and evading missiles.

Gamestop: FERAL WOLF CHARM
With this charm, hunters claim that they are enchanted on moonlit nights by scantily clad witches deep in the heart of the Korcari Wilds. As if that's not enough, the charm also adds to your armor and increases your health regeneration.

EA Store: BAND OF FIRE
Magical fire is used with great care in the construction of these rings. After a few unfortunate incidents of singed eyebrows and burnt hair, there is some speculation that this is why the Formari often shave their heads.
• Adds to Stamina
• Adds to fire resist
• Adds to spirit resist

To add to the pre-order bonuses... here's GameCrazy's:

Gamecrazy: Guildmaster's Belt
The guilds of Denerim are despised by the peasants of Ferelden because the guildmasters grow fat off their labors. Quite literally in the case of this belt's former owner, who could’ve stood to lose a pound or two.
• Increase Monetary Gain
• Adds to Cunning
• Increase chance to dodge attacks

[quote name='LinkinPrime']The exclusive Mass Effect 2 armor is :drool:
[/QUOTE]

In itself the armor is surprisingly nice! I just don't know how I feel about Dragon Age being in my Mass Effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question about game play if i might. It looks like a hack and slash is that correct. I mean i am sure it will be more complicated then that but basically kind of like the Dark Alliance games. At least thats how it looks to me. Any thoughts?

Somehow, this morning before stumbling into bed, I managed to order Dragon Age Origins CE for PC for $51.96 shipped. Not amazing by itself, but considering that I payed for it with EA Cash Cards I only payed 25.98. I didn't realize it until I was just about to fall asleep, but I somehow managed to get 20% off at the EA Store's error. Wait til tomorrow, I told myself. Reorder Brutal Legend and Mass Effect 2 then and get Left 4 Dead 2 for free, I told myself. Supposedly there was a deal for 20% off on all instock items and seeing their error of including preorder items as well, EA stripped the offer down to almost nothing around 8AM. Stupid me for waiting.

Anyways, my question is: The collector's edition specifies that the armor set is usable for "both Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins" but will that code only work the PC version of Mass Effect 2? I've already ordered Mass Effect for 360 (couldn't really get immersed in the PC version), but I might consider reordering Dragon Age if it wouldn't work.

So, I just preordered the LE of this off Amazon. Got a nice 20% discount due to ECA codes stacking as well, so I'm getting it for $59.99, which is awesome. Anyone been keeping an eye on the character announcement trailers and the like? I'm getting pretty damn excited for this game.

I'm a bit confused, as the Collector's Edition is no longer listed as available for purchase from Amazon. Did they have a limit on the amount or something?

I saw gameplay video at Game Stop the other day and it didn't look all that smooth. Looked like fun but not as smooth as I would have expected. Still might get it.

[quote name='freshzen']I saw gameplay video at Game Stop the other day and it didn't look all that smooth. Looked like fun but not as smooth as I would have expected. Still might get it.[/QUOTE]

The 360 version right? I'd imagine it'd perform better on the PC, but who knows.

Anyone else think the blood is a little ridiculous? You'd think the characters would wipe their faces off now and then.

Seems like as good a place as any to ask this. My biggest turn-off from Fable II was all the "side" crap, like flirting with townspeople and having families that I had to pretend to care about, that ended up screwing me in the game and making me put it down because I hated that part of it so much (of course, this is the part of the game I think Molenayux or however you spell it thought would draw in the "non-gamers).

I like what I've seen of Dragon Age so far, but is it going to have that obligatory side-crap like Fable II had? I don't mind developing skills, etc (though again hated the QTE way Fable II made it), but the family and house aspects didn't add to the story for me and detracted in a big way.

I guess, will this be more like Oblivion or like Fable II?
/tk

[quote name='terpkristin']Seems like as good a place as any to ask this. My biggest turn-off from Fable II was all the "side" crap, like flirting with townspeople and having families that I had to pretend to care about, that ended up screwing me in the game and making me put it down because I hated that part of it so much (of course, this is the part of the game I think Molenayux or however you spell it thought would draw in the "non-gamers).

I like what I've seen of Dragon Age so far, but is it going to have that obligatory side-crap like Fable II had? I don't mind developing skills, etc (though again hated the QTE way Fable II made it), but the family and house aspects didn't add to the story for me and detracted in a big way.

I guess, will this be more like Oblivion or like Fable II?
/tk[/QUOTE]
Well, it's a Bioware game, so it's likely there will be a lot of side quests that you don't necessarily need to do, but should if you want the full game experience.

Also, I feel that I should add that none of the stuff you're complaining about in Fable 2 was necessary, so you made yourself hate it. You didn't have to do any of that.

[quote name='YodaEXE'] Also, I feel that I should add that none of the stuff you're complaining about in Fable 2 was necessary, so you made yourself hate it. You didn't have to do any of that.[/QUOTE]

This is probably true. It "felt" necessary to me (especially the house stuff so I could get $$), so I kinda thought/felt I had to do it and it bored me no end.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

/tk

That is for the PC version, so I'll wait to make sure the 360 version doesn't have a lot of technical problems. This looks hot though. I think I'm going to cancel my Left 4 Dead 2 preorder on EA.com and grab this with that credit I got for half off.

FYI Amazon seems to be sold out of the LE, and word on the net is that GameStop stopped accepting pre-orders for the LE as well. This one might actually be limited.

Good news indeed! Of course that is only one review (and a short one at that), but I have no doubt other reviews will be singing the same praises.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']FYI Amazon seems to be sold out of the LE, and word on the net is that GameStop stopped accepting pre-orders for the LE as well. This one might actually be limited.[/QUOTE]
Wow, that's actually kind of cool. Way to go Bioware/EA on that. I'm glad I got my pre-order for it in when I did.

I was just coming to post that DukeEdwardI.

I was skeptical of this due to EA's involvement, but this looks amazing (I will be getting this on the PC tyvm)

Played this at gencon, looked great. Didn't have much time with it since I was quite busy those days. I will say the PC version looks a ton better though that could be because the PC version was by all accounts done while the 260 version wasn't. And they were showing off the content creator for the PC version, and from the looks of it, the PC version at 10 bucks cheaper, and with the creator is a no brainer if you have a pc that can run it.

Yeah, I'm REALLY glad that there is finally a video like this available. Everything else has been EXTREME!!! trailers and making of docs (apparently there was some stuff like this, but I didn't know about it until after). The game is looking fantastic though. Wish he didn't pause so much as it broke the flow of the action, but I understand that he did so that people know what the hell is going on.

I also found these German Tutorial vids of the basics of Dragon Age (FYI, these are for the PC version):

Dragon Age: Origins Tutorial #1 - Origin Stories (English Subtitles)
Dragon Age: Origins Tutorial #2 - Combat System (English Subtitles)
Dragon Age: Origins Tutorial #3 - Journal (English Subtitles)

EDIT: Just another heads up, you get 250 bonus rewardzone points if you pre-order Dragon Age through Best Buy. 250 bonus points basically equals a $5 gift certificate. You just have to wait about a month before you can use it.

For those that don't know, RewardZone is a free service Best Buy offers. You get a card, they scan it every time you make a purchase, every $250 you spend gets you $5. You can join the Gamer's Club in which you get $5 every time you spend $150 on video game related items.

Pre-Order Dragon Age: Origins and get 250 Bonus Points
(make sure you are logged into your rewardzone account before you click)

ahhh im soo excited for this game already preordered on xbox360, and i may do like fallout 3 and wait till steam does some crazy 50 percent off and get it on pc too. By the time i finish on xbox so any mods will be out it will b worth the double purrchase for 25

bread's done
Back