Trade-in $50 worth of games at GS, Free Edge and Game Informer Sub

Justin_Scott

CAG Veteran
If you trade in 50 dollars worth of games at GameStop right now, You can get a subscription to game informer free along with their "edge card". They have a promotion where you get an additional 20% towards the purchase of anything new. When they scan the magazine for the membership it counts as a "new" item. So, 50 in trades plus 20% and the instant 10% edge bump up brings the card cost to zero.

Just a heads up if anyone is interested in getting the magazine free, the card also can help out for those games you cant find new anymore.

Oh, and this is at all gamestops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not true (at least for me)

I went into GS a couple of weeks ago and traded in $99 worth of games.

She said "I'm going to give you a free Edge Card w/ Game Informer."
I said "Ok, but it's free right?" (I wanted to make sure it was)
"Yeah" She says.

Ok, she sets my card up, gives me my (long) receipt.

Now, I don't look at my receipt until I'm walking back to my car. I see the grand total is $85. "Did she charge me for something?" I thought. The Edge Card was the last thing on the receipt, that's when I knew she charged me for it.

So, I went in and told them. They said sorry there's nothing we can do since you used the card already (she used it when I traded it in).

So, YMMV on this on just look at the receipt carefully and make sure that it is indeed free.

Or I could trade in $60 at Amazon and get an additional $30. Hmmm let me think. Which is the better deal? ;)

haha, well some stuff does trade in for more. Its the ps2 and gamecube games that really get the shaft there from what I have noticed.

[quote name='dxbrbnk']Not true (at least for me)

"Yeah" She says.

Now, I don't look at my receipt until I'm walking back to my car. I see the grand total is $85. "Did she charge me for something?" I thought. The Edge Card was the last thing on the receipt, that's when I knew she charged me for it.

So, I went in and told them. They said sorry there's nothing we can do since you used the card already (she used it when I traded it in).

So, YMMV on this on just look at the receipt carefully and make sure that it is indeed free.[/QUOTE]

The promotion I am talking about just started this past Sunday. However, it still sounds like You had a lying cashier at your gamestop, sorry to hear that man. The one I have here in Midlothian actually has people who know what they are doing and will actually be honest when other stores have better prices. (ie. Target's new DS price this week)

You wouldn't receive the bonus credit at all. So it actually is free, seeing as how the magazine is counting as a "new" item. It's actually a loop hole in their register system. It is suppose to be a promotion for trying to sell New games, not magazines. Also, if you are trading in anything above 50, you end up getting more money for your trades plus a free edge card. No new item, no bonus credit.

Spending credit isn't "free" in my book, though that appears to be part of the spiel when the trade value is over a certain threshold. I've been given this line a few times when renewal time comes around. I understand quotas are a fact of retail employment, but don't assume I can't do basic subtraction in my head.

This ranks up there with the practice of sneaking refurb fees in.

Generally, Kojubat You are 100% correct. However, if there is no new item being bought when You trade in Your games...there is NO bonus credit added to the trade...so lets break this down using math, lets say you trade-in 60 bucks worth of games...not buying anything that day. You will get 60 bucks in Store credit. However, if you get the edge card on top of that 60, you would get 20% extra for the "new" item (ie Gameinformer mag) plus the instant 10 percent with the card. So 10% of 60 = 6 dollars. 6x3 = 18. You end up with a Free edge card, gameinformer sub a 3 bucks extra added to Your trade.

This is generally NOT the case at gs, but is a loophole you can exploit while this current trade buy new promo is active. Once this promo ends, you would be spending out of pocket thus making this entire topic mute.

I dont get all the thread crappers. Its a good deal if you need a renewal on your edge card.

Compared to Amazon, the base values at GS are about the same. If you abuse the deals though, you can make a lot more with GS. Hell, I just bought NCAA for $35 and traded it in for $42 towards madden, stacked the 25% off coupon and then cancelled the madden preorder. I got an extra $7 in credit + 25% off 2 games, and all I had to do was look online to see which store had NCAA used in my area.

AntiCommie,

Thank You! That is my point there is always ways around their promos and such to actually benefit in the end. It just takes a little wit and patience.

Anyways, smart on the ncaa madden reserve cancel. Good thinking.

This thread title is pretty misleading. GS is not running a "free" Edge card promo with $50 trade-in. It has always been the case that, if you trade in enough games, the extra 10% from Edge will cover the cost of the card. Not exactly a a deal.

[quote name='Cindaddy']This thread title is pretty misleading. GS is not running a "free" Edge card promo with $50 trade-in. It has always been the case that, if you trade in enough games, the extra 10% from Edge will cover the cost of the card. Not exactly a a deal.[/QUOTE]

While You are correct, this is a deal because it is exploiting the current trade in offer towards new item purchases which is a limited time thing. Generally, you would need to trade in 150 bucks worth of games to cover the cost of the edge card (not including any trade in promos) 10% of 150 = 15..which is the usual cost of the edge card.

So, yes it is not an official gamestop sale per say, but it is an exploit of the system, one in which I assumed would be self-explanatory for everyone who uses these boards and understands how to exploit offers to get the maximum benefit for themselves.

I do, however, apologize for any confusion the topic may have caused. However, the topic title is still accurate and not misleading. If you trade in 50 dollars in games, you get an edge card free.

Edge Card = 14.99
trade-in towards new promo = 20%
instant edge bump up = 10%
10% of 50 = 5 dollars
5x3= 15
free edge.

[quote name='Justin_Scott']The promotion I am talking about just started this past Sunday. However, it still sounds like You had a lying cashier at your gamestop, sorry to hear that man. The one I have here in Midlothian actually has people who know what they are doing and will actually be honest when other stores have better prices. (ie. Target's new DS price this week)[/QUOTE]

Is this really a promotion or just mathematical gimmick?

Do you get the extra 30% (20% + Edge) + 1 yr Edge Membership or they apply the 30% bonus toward an Edge Card? If it's the 2nd one, who's lying here?

Are you guys honestly that stupid? If you trade in $50 worth of games, you get a FREE Game Informer subscription and Edge Card. Or. you could trade in $50 worth of games and get $50. If you don't get the subscription your not going to be gettin $65 dollars for your trades, your only going to get $50. If you want to go do Amazon's deal then go do that, don't post in here like a complete moron as if this doesn't qualify as a deal/promotion.

Please don't tell me your all not that stupid?

Thanks OP.

[quote name='Justin_Scott']You wouldn't receive the bonus credit at all. So it actually is free, seeing as how the magazine is counting as a "new" item. It's actually a loop hole in their register system. It is suppose to be a promotion for trying to sell New games, not magazines. Also, if you are trading in anything above 50, you end up getting more money for your trades plus a free edge card. No new item, no bonus credit.[/QUOTE]

Exactly... it's pretty much trade in $50 worth of GAMES (not consoles or accessories) and you get either a new $10 game for free (20% more on your trade-in = $10) or a free G.I. sub (20% more on trade-in + 10% edge = $15)

Friend of mine went back on Monday or Tuesday and was told about this deal out of the blue by an employee while trading stuff in, saw the 15 dollar charge on the receipt, and managed to get a refund for that while keeping the card, though to be fair we had no idea how this was actually supposed to work at the time. Whoops!

Rawr gamestop blows op is dumb this isn't a deal!

Joking! Not bad if you have some stuff to trade in and need an edge card/renewal since they aren't running any great promotions right now. The GS hate amazes me since it's one of the more popular stores on cag.

[quote name='dxbrbnk']Not true (at least for me)

"Yeah" She says.

So, YMMV on this on just look at the receipt carefully and make sure that it is indeed free.[/QUOTE]
That's quite illegal. You should have taken it to the manager, district manager, or corporate (if you needed to). At the very least they'd have to refund the price of the card (as in Psybuster's friend's case).

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe']Are you guys honestly that stupid? If you trade in $50 worth of games, you get a FREE Game Informer subscription and Edge Card. Or. you could trade in $50 worth of games and get $50. If you don't get the subscription your not going to be gettin $65 dollars for your trades, your only going to get $50. If you want to go do Amazon's deal then go do that, don't post in here like a complete moron as if this doesn't qualify as a deal/promotion.

Thanks OP.[/QUOTE]

Winner Winner, one of the better posts in this thread.

Don't understand the hate on Gamestop, no one forces you to trade in games there. And Op nice find if someone doesnt already have an edge I recommend doing this trade. If you work the trade in deals right at gamestop you can get into some pretty decent credit values with edge and thats what being a cag is about. But if your a lazy bitching ass gamer than just complain to yourself and trade one game in for nothing but we dont want to hear about it. Because most of us know how to maximize our trade ins and get some pretty decent credit amounts.

[quote name='Guerrilla']That's quite illegal. You should have taken it to the manager, district manager, or corporate (if you needed to). At the very least they'd have to refund the price of the card (as in Psybuster's friend's case).[/QUOTE]

I guess they could cancel the transaction and re do it and then give you 94 dollars in credit you should get then.

I really depends on how they word it and not what you think they said.

I know the gamestops I been to are very careful on how they word it, pretty much saying you will come out on top, but not stating it free of cost.

[quote name='Denbo32']I guess they could cancel the transaction and re do it and then give you 94 dollars in credit you should get then.

I really depends on how they word it and not what you think they said.

I know the gamestops I been to are very careful on how they word it, pretty much saying you will come out on top, but not stating it free of cost.[/QUOTE]

Never mind how they "worded" it. Even if what they did is technically legal, it's still hugely dishonest and bordering on a scam, and any competent store manager would make things right rather than risk losing a customer over $15 that should have been his anyway.

[quote name='jewsdidwtc']Never mind how they "worded" it. Even if what they did is technically legal, it's still hugely dishonest and bordering on a scam, and any competent store manager would make things right rather than risk losing a customer over $15 that should have been his anyway.[/QUOTE]
Sorry for off-topic but I'm wondering how Cheapy let you get away with that username. Maybe you should keep your religious, political or whatever views to yourself.

I understand the math, but technically, it's not free. That would be like saying on a normal day, you can trade in $150 worth of games and you get a free Edge card. The math adds up, so it's free, right? Well, it is credit that you normally wouldn't be getting, but I don't exactly count spending credit as free, unless if it was an Edge exclusive deal.

Also, if you don't have an Edge card, you can still trade in $50 worth of games, buy something new, and get $10 extra. If you were looking into getting something new anyway, this would probably be better so you wouldn't have to spend anything extra.

[quote name='cdul']I understand the math, but technically, it's not free. [/QUOTE]

But it's not something you can always do either.

this is so not a deal. :D:D

when i worked at gamestop, we used to pull this trick with buy2get1 sales, if people were buying 45.99-54.99 used games, we'd tell them the discount card was free, technically it was, the 10% off cancelled out the price of the magazine sub, so it looked like the customer didn't pay anything at all. This was when the sub was only 9.99 though too, it didn't work so well when they bumped it to 14.99

I'll keep it simple and concise for once. It's NOT fuckin' free if you still have to pay for it, either with credit you could be getting due to one promo or another or if some generous soul(like I've been a couple of times)lets you use their Edge card while in the store for a purchase or trade bump. /concise answer

The only way this bullshit discount card would be worth it is if it applied to EVERYTHING in the store and not just their used, shit condition stuff.

The only good part about it now is that it adds 10% to CASH trades, which reduces the amount they penalize you for taking cash over credit by 50%(normally 20%).

Otherwise, the card is useless and only worth about 1/3 of what they charge for it. If GS could take Game Informer and shove it up their ass and only charge what EB Games used to for the EDGE card($5), THEN it'd be great.

I actually went and got my Edge card during the tiered trade offer and just brought it up to 50%, then the cred more than covered than covered the card/magazine. Game Informer isn't the greatest mag, but it's always something to rread when I get bored.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'll keep it simple and concise for once. It's NOT fuckin' free if you still have to pay for it, either with credit you could be getting due to one promo or another or if some generous soul(like I've been a couple of times)lets you use their Edge card while in the store for a purchase or trade bump. /concise answer

The only way this bullshit discount card would be worth it is if it applied to EVERYTHING in the store and not just their used, shit condition stuff.

The only good part about it now is that it adds 10% to CASH trades, which reduces the amount they penalize you for taking cash over credit by 50%(normally 20%).

Otherwise, the card is useless and only worth about 1/3 of what they charge for it. If GS could take Game Informer and shove it up their ass and only charge what EB Games used to for the EDGE card($5), THEN it'd be great.[/QUOTE]

You must have bad gamestops. In my local stores the edge card works on the 'used, shit condition stuff' (which I refuse to buy) AND the 'used, good condition stuff' which I do buy.

Do they have a section labeled 'shit condition stuff' or is it all mixed in with the rest of it?

[quote name='yourlefthand']You must have bad gamestops. In my local stores the edge card works on the 'used, shit condition stuff' (which I refuse to buy) AND the 'used, good condition stuff' which I do buy.[/QUOTE]

Oddly enough my GS has good condition stuff too! Like the last b2g1 where I got mint vesperia, uncharted and valkyria chronicles. Maybe it was all in my mind and they implanted those thoughts =)

It's also funny to note that, correct me if I'm wrong, gamestop doesn't actively try to rip manuals and water damage cases. I think they come like that from other people?! My word, amazing. :roll:/sarcasm

[quote name='Vortextk']Oddly enough my GS has good condition stuff too! Like the last b2g1 where I got mint vesperia, uncharted and valkyria chronicles. Maybe it was all in my mind and they implanted those thoughts =)

It's also funny to note that, correct me if I'm wrong, gamestop doesn't actively try to rip manuals and water damage cases. I think they come like that from other people?! My word, amazing. :roll:/sarcasm[/QUOTE]

you've obviously never been in a GS back room and witnessed the "use games dunk tanks"

Here's how it works, everyone:

The only time an EDGE Card is genuinely free is if you have brought in $150 or more in trades.

If you've brought in, say $200 in trades, it's actually costing you not to have the card, because of the 10% boost @ the cost of $15/yr.

In other words, if you plan to trade/buy used games at a total value of $150 or more in a 12 month span (13 if you buy on the first of the month, hehe), EDGE is worth it. Anything short of that, and you're losing value (depending on how much the Game Informer issues mean to you).

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe']Are you guys honestly that stupid? If you trade in $50 worth of games, you get a FREE Game Informer subscription and Edge Card. Or. you could trade in $50 worth of games and get $50. If you don't get the subscription your not going to be gettin $65 dollars for your trades, your only going to get $50. If you want to go do Amazon's deal then go do that, don't post in here like a complete moron as if this doesn't qualify as a deal/promotion.

Thanks OP.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, basically no one is bothering to read the OP and are assuming they already know about the bonus.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'll keep it simple and concise for once. It's NOT fuckin' free if you still have to pay for it, either with credit you could be getting due to one promo or another or if some generous soul(like I've been a couple of times)lets you use their Edge card while in the store for a purchase or trade bump. /concise answer

Otherwise, the card is useless and only worth about 1/3 of what they charge for it. If GS could take Game Informer and shove it up their ass and only charge what EB Games used to for the EDGE card($5), THEN it'd be great.[/QUOTE]

Posts like this and the general Gamestop thread crapping is completely irrelevant here. I've personally saved $600 with my Edge card through flips and promotions. Real savings. Not Gamestop salesman pitch savings.

So whatever. I'd recommend people read the OP a second time and actually try to understand why the thing is free. You wouldn't be gettin the bonus credit without buying the Edge card because the promotion wouldn't work.

Why trade in $50 worth of goods, when you can buy the edge card with subscription for $35 lesser? It doesn't take a genius to figure out the math.

Hm.

-Trade in an ass load of games I'd probably get more for on eBay, Craigslist or here with the hope that I get $50 worth of what's basically pretend money and lose some of it

or

-Pay $15 without any extra hassles

All for a discount card that only proves useful for cheap games during heavy discount promotions and a subscription to an ad-infested, shitty magazine.

Decisions...decisions...

[quote name='Tsukento']Hm.

-Trade in an ass load of games I'd probably get more for on eBay, Craigslist or here with the hope that I get $50 worth of what's basically pretend money and lose some of it

or

-Pay $15 without any extra hassles

All for a discount card that only proves useful for cheap games during heavy discount promotions and a subscription to an ad-infested, shitty magazine.

Decisions...decisions...[/QUOTE]

And if you can't get more for your games somewhere else? What then? Ah, the point emerges.

[quote name='GuardianE']
Posts like this and the general Gamestop thread crapping is completely irrelevant here. I've personally saved $600 with my Edge card through flips and promotions. Real savings. Not Gamestop salesman pitch savings.[/QUOTE]

Well, considering that I ONLY step foot in Gamestop if A) they have a decent coupon or promo that I can exploit and I have some cheap credit to burn through or B) when they drop a guide or three to a penny to see if I can score a copy, buying the EDGE card/mag subscription makes no sense for me.

Although, since I was flipping cheap games from the Hollywood Video sale last fall when Gamestop had the tiered trade bonus around the same time, it WAS worth it and I DID pay for it with some of the '10% bonus credit' I got because of the EDGE card.

But otherwise in a year where there's shitty promos and there's no sale where I can get super cheap games to flip to them (AND I can check TIV's from the Gamestop trade value thread), then the EDGE/mag subscription is useless.

[quote name='yourlefthand']You must have bad gamestops. In my local stores the edge card works on the 'used, shit condition stuff' (which I refuse to buy) AND the 'used, good condition stuff' which I do buy.

Do they have a section labeled 'shit condition stuff' or is it all mixed in with the rest of it?[/QUOTE]

Considering the fact it took sifting through 6 copies of the one game the one time I went to buy something before I found a mint/complete one, I think my local GS stores always took in the worst condition crap.

What's funnier is they probably charged the original owners a refurb fee for trading them in such poor shape, but never 'sent them off' like they're supposed to after charging a fee on them.

At my local stores it's all mixed in with the rest though. :whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Well, considering that I ONLY step foot in Gamestop if A) they have a decent coupon or promo that I can exploit and I have some cheap credit to burn through or B) when they drop a guide or three to a penny to see if I can score a copy, buying the EDGE card/mag subscription makes no sense for me.

Although, since I was flipping cheap games from the Hollywood Video sale last fall when Gamestop had the tiered trade bonus around the same time, it WAS worth it and I DID pay for it with some of the '10% bonus credit' I got because of the EDGE card.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much the most negative way possible to say that the EDGE card can be incredibly valuable.

I don't care what most people do with their EDGE cards. We're CAGs. We shop intelligently. At least, if we live up to our name.

An EDGE card, especially when flipping, is an invaluable tool that uninformed people scoff at because they don't see the big picture. You only step into Gamestop when you had a coupon and credit to burn? Me too. So what? That doesn't devalue the EDGE card at all. In fact, it makes those coupons all the more enticing. I just find it ironic that you bash a company that's allowing you to take advantage of it. I have no problems with Gamestop because I get heavily reduced priced games from there... especially with the EDGE card... why would I bash them when they pretty much give me free games? It seems like misdirected anger.

I really can't explain it, though it's due to a number of points.

1) Same trade value whether or not you have everything mint/complete or it looks like it's been chewed on by a dog or kid. Not mailing out games they charge refurb fees on(tested this one myself).

2) Horrible sales most times(buy 2, get 1, why no BOGO?)

3) Charging 3x what the stupid EDGE card is worth and tossing in a shitty magazine to try and justify the $15 charge by saying 'look, you get this shitrag for a year for the $15 too' If it wasn't 90% fuckin' ads, it might be tolerable to read. Charge $5 like EB used to, shove the mag.

bread's done
Back