Trade-in $50 worth of games at GS, Free Edge and Game Informer Sub

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:42 PM

I'll keep it simple and concise for once. It's NOT fuckin' free if you still have to pay for it, either with credit you could be getting due to one promo or another or if some generous soul(like I've been a couple of times)lets you use their Edge card while in the store for a purchase or trade bump. /concise answer

The only way this bullshit discount card would be worth it is if it applied to EVERYTHING in the store and not just their used, shit condition stuff.

The only good part about it now is that it adds 10% to CASH trades, which reduces the amount they penalize you for taking cash over credit by 50%(normally 20%).

Otherwise, the card is useless and only worth about 1/3 of what they charge for it. If GS could take Game Informer and shove it up their ass and only charge what EB Games used to for the EDGE card($5), THEN it'd be great.

You must have bad gamestops. In my local stores the edge card works on the 'used, shit condition stuff' (which I refuse to buy) AND the 'used, good condition stuff' which I do buy.

Do they have a section labeled 'shit condition stuff' or is it all mixed in with the rest of it?

#32 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:14 PM

You must have bad gamestops. In my local stores the edge card works on the 'used, shit condition stuff' (which I refuse to buy) AND the 'used, good condition stuff' which I do buy.

Oddly enough my GS has good condition stuff too! Like the last b2g1 where I got mint vesperia, uncharted and valkyria chronicles. Maybe it was all in my mind and they implanted those thoughts =)

It's also funny to note that, correct me if I'm wrong, gamestop doesn't actively try to rip manuals and water damage cases. I think they come like that from other people?! My word, amazing. :roll:/sarcasm

#33 BionicCommando

BionicCommando

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:28 PM

Oddly enough my GS has good condition stuff too! Like the last b2g1 where I got mint vesperia, uncharted and valkyria chronicles. Maybe it was all in my mind and they implanted those thoughts =)

It's also funny to note that, correct me if I'm wrong, gamestop doesn't actively try to rip manuals and water damage cases. I think they come like that from other people?! My word, amazing. :roll:/sarcasm

you've obviously never been in a GS back room and witnessed the "use games dunk tanks"

#34 projectionist

projectionist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

Here's how it works, everyone:

The only time an EDGE Card is genuinely free is if you have brought in $150 or more in trades.

If you've brought in, say $200 in trades, it's actually costing you not to have the card, because of the 10% boost @ the cost of $15/yr.

In other words, if you plan to trade/buy used games at a total value of $150 or more in a 12 month span (13 if you buy on the first of the month, hehe), EDGE is worth it. Anything short of that, and you're losing value (depending on how much the Game Informer issues mean to you).

#35 GuardianE

GuardianE

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

Are you guys honestly that stupid? If you trade in $50 worth of games, you get a FREE Game Informer subscription and Edge Card. Or. you could trade in $50 worth of games and get $50. If you don't get the subscription your not going to be gettin $65 dollars for your trades, your only going to get $50. If you want to go do Amazon's deal then go do that, don't post in here like a complete moron as if this doesn't qualify as a deal/promotion.

Please don't tell me your all not that stupid?

Thanks OP.

Yeah, basically no one is bothering to read the OP and are assuming they already know about the bonus.

I'll keep it simple and concise for once. It's NOT fuckin' free if you still have to pay for it, either with credit you could be getting due to one promo or another or if some generous soul(like I've been a couple of times)lets you use their Edge card while in the store for a purchase or trade bump. /concise answer

The only way this bullshit discount card would be worth it is if it applied to EVERYTHING in the store and not just their used, shit condition stuff.

The only good part about it now is that it adds 10% to CASH trades, which reduces the amount they penalize you for taking cash over credit by 50%(normally 20%).

Otherwise, the card is useless and only worth about 1/3 of what they charge for it. If GS could take Game Informer and shove it up their ass and only charge what EB Games used to for the EDGE card($5), THEN it'd be great.

Posts like this and the general Gamestop thread crapping is completely irrelevant here. I've personally saved $600 with my Edge card through flips and promotions. Real savings. Not Gamestop salesman pitch savings.

So whatever. I'd recommend people read the OP a second time and actually try to understand why the thing is free. You wouldn't be gettin the bonus credit without buying the Edge card because the promotion wouldn't work.
My name is in your Resident Evil 5 manual. ;)

#36 CaoPi

CaoPi

KOEI fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:27 PM

Why trade in $50 worth of goods, when you can buy the edge card with subscription for $35 lesser? It doesn't take a genius to figure out the math.

MY TRADE LIST ------ (pictures included)

#37 Tsukento

Tsukento

King of Pirates

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:28 PM

Hm.

-Trade in an ass load of games I'd probably get more for on eBay, Craigslist or here with the hope that I get $50 worth of what's basically pretend money and lose some of it

or

-Pay $15 without any extra hassles

All for a discount card that only proves useful for cheap games during heavy discount promotions and a subscription to an ad-infested, shitty magazine.

Decisions...decisions...

#38 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:34 PM

Hm.

-Trade in an ass load of games I'd probably get more for on eBay, Craigslist or here with the hope that I get $50 worth of what's basically pretend money and lose some of it

or

-Pay $15 without any extra hassles

All for a discount card that only proves useful for cheap games during heavy discount promotions and a subscription to an ad-infested, shitty magazine.

Decisions...decisions...

And if you can't get more for your games somewhere else? What then? Ah, the point emerges.

#39 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:17 PM

Posts like this and the general Gamestop thread crapping is completely irrelevant here. I've personally saved $600 with my Edge card through flips and promotions. Real savings. Not Gamestop salesman pitch savings.

Well, considering that I ONLY step foot in Gamestop if A) they have a decent coupon or promo that I can exploit and I have some cheap credit to burn through or B) when they drop a guide or three to a penny to see if I can score a copy, buying the EDGE card/mag subscription makes no sense for me.

Although, since I was flipping cheap games from the Hollywood Video sale last fall when Gamestop had the tiered trade bonus around the same time, it WAS worth it and I DID pay for it with some of the '10% bonus credit' I got because of the EDGE card.

But otherwise in a year where there's shitty promos and there's no sale where I can get super cheap games to flip to them (AND I can check TIV's from the Gamestop trade value thread), then the EDGE/mag subscription is useless.

Do they have a section labeled 'shit condition stuff' or is it all mixed in with the rest of it?

Considering the fact it took sifting through 6 copies of the one game the one time I went to buy something before I found a mint/complete one, I think my local GS stores always took in the worst condition crap.

What's funnier is they probably charged the original owners a refurb fee for trading them in such poor shape, but never 'sent them off' like they're supposed to after charging a fee on them.

At my local stores it's all mixed in with the rest though. :-#

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#40 GuardianE

GuardianE

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

Well, considering that I ONLY step foot in Gamestop if A) they have a decent coupon or promo that I can exploit and I have some cheap credit to burn through or B) when they drop a guide or three to a penny to see if I can score a copy, buying the EDGE card/mag subscription makes no sense for me.

Although, since I was flipping cheap games from the Hollywood Video sale last fall when Gamestop had the tiered trade bonus around the same time, it WAS worth it and I DID pay for it with some of the '10% bonus credit' I got because of the EDGE card.

That's pretty much the most negative way possible to say that the EDGE card can be incredibly valuable.

I don't care what most people do with their EDGE cards. We're CAGs. We shop intelligently. At least, if we live up to our name.

An EDGE card, especially when flipping, is an invaluable tool that uninformed people scoff at because they don't see the big picture. You only step into Gamestop when you had a coupon and credit to burn? Me too. So what? That doesn't devalue the EDGE card at all. In fact, it makes those coupons all the more enticing. I just find it ironic that you bash a company that's allowing you to take advantage of it. I have no problems with Gamestop because I get heavily reduced priced games from there... especially with the EDGE card... why would I bash them when they pretty much give me free games? It seems like misdirected anger.
My name is in your Resident Evil 5 manual. ;)

#41 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

I really can't explain it, though it's due to a number of points.

1) Same trade value whether or not you have everything mint/complete or it looks like it's been chewed on by a dog or kid. Not mailing out games they charge refurb fees on(tested this one myself).

2) Horrible sales most times(buy 2, get 1, why no BOGO?)

3) Charging 3x what the stupid EDGE card is worth and tossing in a shitty magazine to try and justify the $15 charge by saying 'look, you get this shitrag for a year for the $15 too' If it wasn't 90% fuckin' ads, it might be tolerable to read. Charge $5 like EB used to, shove the mag.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image