SONY PS3 SLIM Thread, AVAILABLE NOW $299, SHARE YOUR STORIES

• Please log in to reply
1031 replies to this topic

#91 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:57 AM

I'm not so sure about that. I'm showing Saturn running from 1994 to 2000 in Japan. I dont have exact hardware numbers, but I have top 100 software from 1996 forward and Saturn murders N64. Maybe they were just really hardcore :)

For example.
1996:   Titles in top 100 - Units
Sega Saturn 33 8655960
Nintendo 64 4 1642921

1997: Titles in top 100 - Units
Sega Saturn 20 4398103
Nintendo 64 8 2330510

#92 Paco

Paco

GO TEAM GIRTH!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:23 AM

I'm not so sure about that. I'm showing Saturn running from 1994 to 2000 in Japan. I dont have exact hardware numbers, but I have top 100 software from 1996 forward and Saturn murders N64. Maybe they were just really hardcore :)

For example.

1996:   Titles in top 100 - Units
Sega Saturn 33 8655960
Nintendo 64 4 1642921

1997: Titles in top 100 - Units
Sega Saturn 20 4398103
Nintendo 64 8 2330510

To be fair the saturn DID have a lot of those hentai games..........
If you can't KOF with the best
Than Street Fight With The Rest

#93 Barnolde

Barnolde

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:35 AM

You can buy a 80GB PS3, then upgrade your HDD to a 320GB, then buy Uncharted and Pain separately, all for the price for the 160GB model.

80GB PS3 - $300
320GB HDD - $60
Uncharted - $30
Pain - $10

#94 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:46 AM

2 things you're forgetting:
#1 - Taxes
#2 - Convenience for the ignorant/lazy
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#95 rmb

rmb

old enough to be your dad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:14 AM

Considering the fact that more U.S. households have 360's than a PS3, it only makes sence that with this drop the PS3 will outsell the 360 this holiday season. If they can't do it this year they might as well give up.

#96 mis0

mis0

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:31 AM

I thought the PS3 dropped in price ages ago? I got my 160 GB for $388 shipped. :D

[mis0's tradelist]

#97 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:51 AM

That's assuming that the Slim is the same as the standard PS3 model , aside from being smaller. Word going around seemed to imply that the slim would either lose USB ports and/or loose wi-fi functionality out of the box (ie , make it just like the 360). If either of those end up being true , then those that pick up an older unit at the new price would make out better than someone who picks up a slim at that price.

As for me , I really don't care whether it ends up being a slim model or not , $299 is a price I can live with for the PS3 , now I just need to wait for the drop itself (and to finally get around to getting an HDTV to use with it , as well as my 360).

Right now(and apparently until next January)Target has an ACER LCD monitor that will work with the PS3. It has ports for VGA, HDMI and one other input method(which eludes me right now).

It's only $189, which is even cheap enough for me. However, it's only a 21" model, but that's more than enough for me.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#98 gbpackers94

gbpackers94

Julius, Ph.D.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:19 AM

I don't think PS3 should have a price drop. It's a shame that a 360 with 20 GB is the same price as 80 GB PS3. The PS3 is obviously the superior hardware. It may not be the better experience but it at least the thing isn't a piece of ****.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#99 darkpice

darkpice

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:32 AM

wow. if this price drop happens before the end of the month on amazon, people that still have there $75 console coupon will be very happy with a $225 ps3.
Retail Store Hustler

#100 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:57 AM

I don't think PS3 should have a price drop. It's a shame that a 360 with 20 GB is the same price as 80 GB PS3. The PS3 is obviously the superior hardware. It may not be the better experience but it at least the thing isn't a piece of ****.

Could you wipe your nose, it's got something brown on it. I mean, I know the 360 has a hell of a problem, but SO DID THE PS2(DRE, disc scratching, other problems) and people still bought the shit out of that atrociously flawed piece of hardware.

Personally, I think Sony NEEDS to drop the price and SOON. It was overpriced when it launched and it's STILL overpriced now. If not for having cheap credit in spades and having just sold a shitload of last gen games when I did for the price I did, I would've never bought my PS3 at all.

Four hundred to six hundred bucks is just too fuckin' much for a game console. Nintendo had the right idea this gen. Keep it simple, keep it cheap, sell like crazy. Hopefully, both MS and Sony paid attention and know that they don't need all the fancy bells and whistles next gen and to keep the price reasonable if they wanna make sales.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#101 mdmola

mdmola

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:14 AM

Right now(and apparently until next January)Target has an ACER LCD monitor that will work with the PS3. It has ports for VGA, HDMI and one other input method(which eludes me right now).

It's only $189, which is even cheap enough for me. However, it's only a 21" model, but that's more than enough for me.

Go to www.newegg.com and search under the monitors. You'll find something much better for that price =]

#102 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:16 AM

I just checked other news sites (mostly via Gametab) and it doesn't look like anyone else has picked this up yet. Being the internet, I'm surprised it hasn't spread like wildfire.

:3ds: 2363-5670-6657
My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

#103 Colgol

Colgol

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:27 AM

Well, IMO clearly this is also the confirmation on an upcomming slim version of PS3.

Colgol/anders
"Doh"

colgol.jpg

#104 KingDox

KingDox

Scream My Name

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:30 AM

I just checked other news sites (mostly via Gametab) and it doesn't look like anyone else has picked this up yet. Being the internet, I'm surprised it hasn't spread like wildfire.

Its the weekend, the bloggers are too lazy to pick it up. Once Monday rolls around this will blow up.

#105 dumlaox

dumlaox

Eat, Work, Game, Sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:40 AM

It is the weekend. Give it till tomorrow for Kotaku to get it then Monday for everyone else. That's what happened to the post about the new install sizes for the new NXE, at least.

I already have my PS3 (20GB model) but I do have a friend that's been waiting for a price drop before he gets it for his family. Once we have a solid date for this, I'm pretty sure he'd be happy about it and get it sooner than he originally planned. Thanks again, Oswald, for the post.

One thing I'm wondering about, and I apologize if this would be the wrong place to bring this up, would be the new price for the remaining 60GB Xbox 360 models. We already have pics showing the 120GB price drop and pics showing the new Arcade boxes that omit the Pro version. If/When the Elite drops to $300, Microsoft will want to price the Pro version to move out as quickly as possible and depending on the price given by either Microsoft or retailers, it could offset any sales boosts Sony would have with this current price drop.

14610.png

#106 silverwolf0

silverwolf0

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:45 AM

I am sure there are many anti-Sony fanboys posting on here that don't care if the PS3 drops to $299, $199, or even $99. They will still continue to complain about something. I wish I could just reach out and smack them all at once with a broomstick for every dumb reason they give or for every lie they make. It's like watching a townhall for health care reform in a red state. At least the taint is a bit lighter here as opposed to trying to read non-deleted comments on N4G.

I do believe this story to be true, and I really had no idea FYE actually sold consoles. The FYE at my local mall has eliminated games altogether. I've read too many rumors and leaks about the PS3 slim to not believe that it will come out and a price drop is in the works to move older PS3 models, considering they already had tangible price drops for the 80GB to $380 and the 160GB to $450 at Newegg some time ago. I highly doubt the PS3 slim would be a gimped version of the original, considering the PS2 slim wasn't gimped and Sony has a reputation to keep up. They may be price-conscious, but not trying to look like the local Wal-Mart branded goods.

The inclusion of PS2 support for the PS3 was probably just a bad business decision early on that they have rectified since their PS2 platform is still very healthy and still selling like hotcakes. I don't think the original removal of the emotion engine chip and CPU was done for cost savings at all. The PS2 slim had been $129 for the longest time and now $99 for quite a while now, so anyone who really cares enough to play the great games of last generation would have already bought one or owned one by now. It's even cheaper than a DS or a PSP.

#107 Brian9824

Brian9824

CAG-Obsessed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:01 PM

Good. I've been waiting for the PS3 to drop in price so as soon as this goes live i'll snag one. Hopefully we get more news on how many games the backwards compatibility will cover.

#108 Brian9824

Brian9824

CAG-Obsessed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:05 PM

Could you wipe your nose, it's got something brown on it. I mean, I know the 360 has a hell of a problem, but SO DID THE PS2(DRE, disc scratching, other problems) and people still bought the shit out of that atrociously flawed piece of hardware.

Personally, I think Sony NEEDS to drop the price and SOON. It was overpriced when it launched and it's STILL overpriced now. If not for having cheap credit in spades and having just sold a shitload of last gen games when I did for the price I did, I would've never bought my PS3 at all.

Four hundred to six hundred bucks is just too fuckin' much for a game console. Nintendo had the right idea this gen. Keep it simple, keep it cheap, sell like crazy. Hopefully, both MS and Sony paid attention and know that they don't need all the fancy bells and whistles next gen and to keep the price reasonable if they wanna make sales.

Honestly i had a launch PS2 that was picked up day one w/ 0 problems that died about 2 years ago after heavy use. I've already gone thru one 360 console with RROD. So yeah, i can understand where he is coming from.

I'm just glad i paid retail for it and bought it from Costco as they have a lifetime warranty. They will continue to replace it for free if it ever breaks again.

#109 Frogurt.man

Frogurt.man

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:07 PM

Hopefully we get more news on how many games the backwards compatibility will cover.

When was the PS3 backwards compatibility confirmed?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#110 gravel

gravel

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:36 PM

My two local FYEs don't carry games anymore, so I guess if I want one(I'm still on the fence, the only exclusive out right now that I really want to play is Infamous) I'll have to wait for this to spread to other retailers.

#111 MaxBiaggi3

MaxBiaggi3

Designated Bad Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:46 PM

The most I've ever paid for any new console is $200. I paid that for my original PS2, my original Xbox and my 360 Arcade, so I'm not about to start paying $300 for a phat PS3 when details on the new slim model will likely come out soon.

If it's important to you to own a console early in its lifecycle, you're welcome to pay $300+ for the privilege, but I've got a big enough backlog of last gen games to keep me occupied until this hardware generation's asking price reaches the $200 threshold.

#112 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:51 PM

I wonder if any retailer would price match this add.
Posted Image

#113 Cage017

Cage017

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:15 PM

I don't know about other retailers, but at Target we have a video playing on multiple screens in a continuous loop convincing people to buy Blu-Ray. Seeing as how the 360 doesn't have Blu-Ray, people are going to go for this new priced PS3 fast. And it occured to me that the whole idea of the PS2 slim could be to a) take up less room on top of your PS3 so b) Sony wouldn't need to add an app for BC. Maybe this PS3 slim is merely some rumor after all.

Speaking of BC, my copy of RE3 plays better on my PS1 than it does on my PS2. I was curious if the PS3 uses the same chip/hardware to play PS1 games as the PS2 or if it's new hardware all together.

#114 PenguinoMF

PenguinoMF

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:36 PM

C'mon Amazon follow FYE by the end of the month. I got that $75 off console coupon burning a hole in my pocket. My luck they will lower the price the first week of September. I know they don't price match after purchase any more but I will be fighting for it.

#115 Charybdis

Charybdis

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:44 PM

I saw the sign up with the new prices a few days ago (wednesday, I think) at the FYE in the Mall of America while I was in Minnesota. I didn't think anything of it, I haven't been keeping up with the prices since I've had one for a while.

#116 Ryukahn

Ryukahn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:45 PM

Fantastic news!:applause:

#117 tenma

tenma

He Shot First

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:47 PM

I got my sealed uncharted 160bg bundle last december for $300 on craigslist! I'm suprised all the people "holding out" on here for the past 3 years that havent found their own deals till now. maybe i got lucky i only searched for a week for that deal...

Well, I've been looking forward to a price drop not so a new console can be purchased more easily, but so the used prices fall even more. If so many of the great games weren't multi-plat I probably would've bought a PS3 by now.
Posted Image[U]

#118 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:26 PM

Go buy a PS3 now so we can get some more love from the Game Devs :D
Tell your friends.

#119 flameofdoom666

flameofdoom666

3D Dot Game Link!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:37 PM

It has been al ong time coming.

Honestly- I will only bite if a slim PS3 is 300, with PS2 compatibility.

#120 BigBizzee

BigBizzee

I feel asleep....

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

I suppose that's the key question right now - how much will the PS3 slim cost (assuming it is real)?

Should people still be waiting?