Photo
- - - - -

Goozex has a New update you can now trade your UMD,DVD,HDDVD,Blu-ray

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#31 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

Seems like it would be easy enough for them to just program the matching system so that it wouldn't match up people with the same mailing address to prevent people sending games to themselves or a family member/roommate to get the points.

But scammers will always scam. It would be just as easy to do it with a friend with a different address on games in low demand where you can list them and they request them etc. to get you the points. Hell one wouldn't even have to ship it, just have the friend leave feed back after a few days.

Point being, scammers will always find a way, so those kind of policies do suck as they just end up annoying people who aren't scamming like YodaEXE in this case.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#32 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:03 PM

Seems like it would be easy enough for them to just program the matching system so that it wouldn't match up people with the same mailing address to prevent people sending games to themselves or a family member/roommate to get the points.

But scammers will always scam. It would be just as easy to do it with a friend with a different address on games in low demand where you can list them and they request them etc. to get you the points. Hell one wouldn't even have to ship it, just have the friend leave feed back after a few days.

Point being, scammers will always find a way, so those kind of policies do suck as they just end up annoying people who aren't scamming like YodaEXE in this case.

Yeah, but what is that really going to accomplish? All you'd really be doing is transferring points from one account to the other...and paying $1 (1 token) to do so. Unless I'm missing something, this is your scenario.

Friend A - Lists low-demand/low-availability 500 point game
Friend B - Requests game, gets matched up with Friend A
Friend B - Spends 500 points and 1 trading token to "receive" game
Friend A - Earns 500 points

What is there to really be gained from this practice? The points are only transferred from Friend B to Friend A. It's not like they're multiplied. I had suggested to Goozex a long time ago that they implement some kind of "gifting points" feature. The reason was, I had a buddy who had 150 points left and 0 trading tokens, and said he doubted he'd use Goozex again. So, my hope was he could just give me the remainder of his points, but they wouldn't do it out of fear of "scammers".

The only thing I could see people abusing is the free bonus they give you when you first sign up, by making multiple accounts and getting it multiple times. But doing that 100 points at a time seems like such small potatoes to waste all that effort scamming.

#33 Duddy07

Duddy07

Its how you play the game

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:23 PM

Got matched to receive Dukes of Hazzard Season 5 & 6 and James Bond Ultimate Collection Vol 1-4 yesterday. :bouncy:
Posted Image

#34 KingofOldSchool

KingofOldSchool

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:41 PM

The only thing I could see people abusing is the free bonus they give you when you first sign up, by making multiple accounts and getting it multiple times. But doing that 100 points at a time seems like such small potatoes to waste all that effort scamming.

Multiple accounts = being able to get more than one hand in the game request or offer pool, that would come in handy especially with more in demand games. Could always be used to trade multiple copies of a game without having to wait.

It's just more problems for Goozex than what it's worth.
Posted Image

http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=272112

Sign up under me a receive FREE X-Box 360 games. You can get CoD: Black Ops, Rock Band 3, Fable 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and MORE!

#35 ajh2298

ajh2298

2009 Stanley Cup Champs

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:24 PM

I wish there was an option to put a comment next to the items you list. I have all 5 of the Harry Potter HD-DVD's and I want to list them but I would like to point out they dont include the original covers but high quality color photocopies of them.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

#36 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:35 PM

What is there to really be gained from this practice? The points are only transferred from Friend B to Friend A.

Well the thing is the friends account would really be your second account, so it would be a way to get rid of low demand games no one else wanted (i.e. stuff they couldn't trade after listing for a long time) and get your points for them in your second account to use to request something.

The other benefit would be being able to list the game multiple times under your fake accounts to send it to someone else eventually (or another fake account under a different name/address) and multiply points to different accounts that way by "trading" it multiple times.

I wouldn't think it worth the effort. I just end up tossing discs and recycling cases of old games I don't want to keep around and have no luck trading or selling. Or give them to a friend if they have any interest in it.

But some people will do anything they can to scam. And my point really was simply that not allowing accounts to different names at the same address doesn't make it that much harder for scammers to set up fake accounts and trade games around to themselves to build up points across their accounts.

Edited by dmaul1114, 18 August 2009 - 08:48 PM.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#37 zenintrude

zenintrude

habitual line stepper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:01 PM

I wish there was an option to put a comment next to the items you list. I have all 5 of the Harry Potter HD-DVD's and I want to list them but I would like to point out they dont include the original covers but high quality color photocopies of them.

These must be listed as "Disc Only" copies... while "high quality color photocopies" may be fine for you, they will not be fine for someone who wants a complete item. You will receive negative feedback if you try to list them as complete and the person is particular about their items (as they have every right to be).

YOU'RE GOING TO A NIGHTMARE PROM!

my trade list... lots of games for most systems

#38 johnnyrocker360

johnnyrocker360

BROTHERRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

100 points per dvd that's good enough for me. i've got a shit ton to offload.
Blarg

Posted Image

#39 ajh2298

ajh2298

2009 Stanley Cup Champs

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:53 PM

These must be listed as "Disc Only" copies... while "high quality color photocopies" may be fine for you, they will not be fine for someone who wants a complete item. You will receive negative feedback if you try to list them as complete and the person is particular about their items (as they have every right to be).

I am not saying I was going to list them as "complete" I know they are now considered "disc-only" but I would just be able to put a comment next to them, maybe to seperate them from the other disc-only copies. If I list them as "disc-only" but plan on sending out the case and any inside insert why cant I say that to a potential trading partner?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

#40 Bobster823

Bobster823

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:59 PM

I have a season of Scrubs on its way for 200 points! And the site is not going slow anymore(for awhile now, actually)

#41 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

Well the thing is the friends account would really be your second account, so it would be a way to get rid of low demand games no one else wanted (i.e. stuff they couldn't trade after listing for a long time) and get your points for them in your second account to use to request something.

The other benefit would be being able to list the game multiple times under your fake accounts to send it to someone else eventually (or another fake account under a different name/address) and multiply points to different accounts that way by "trading" it multiple times.

I wouldn't think it worth the effort. I just end up tossing discs and recycling cases of old games I don't want to keep around and have no luck trading or selling. Or give them to a friend if they have any interest in it.

But some people will do anything they can to scam. And my point really was simply that not allowing accounts to different names at the same address doesn't make it that much harder for scammers to set up fake accounts and trade games around to themselves to build up points across their accounts.

you still need to buy the points first

#42 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:12 PM

you still need to buy the points first

Yeah, guess I had a brain fart and didn't think of that. You'd have to buy points on the other accounts or build them up through legitimate trades. So there's really no point to it.

But in that case there's really no point to not allowing multiple accounts to different names at the same address since you have that same issue there. Unless I'm just having another brain fart, I really don't see how you could really scam the system in that way either since you'd still have to build up points in your other account some how.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#43 unicron129

unicron129

Devourer of Worlds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:46 PM

it could boost your feedback and/or you could sign up for your account over and over again to get the free trade in credit + 100 points.

Edited by Pookymeister, 19 August 2009 - 12:57 AM.

#44 maccabee72

maccabee72

Hook 'em

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:53 PM

This is great! I've been hoping they'd do this for a while now. I had 4 of my movies I put up today already come up with requests.
Posted Image

#45 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:16 PM

it could boost your feedback and/or you could sign up for your account over and over again to get the free trade in credit + 100 points.

Yeah, that's what I figured. There are basically 3 reason to not allow multiple accounts.

1. Abusing the free credit + 100 points and getting an endless amount of old games without putting anything back into the system...which would destroy the system very quickly.

2. As KingOfOldSchool mentioned, people could use it to manipulate the queues. And the queues are unstable enough as it is. I've already experienced numerous times where games are listed as being "requested", but then I find out the people requesting them don't have enough points/tokens anyway. It just becomes a huge clusterfuck.

3. My initial point that if Goozex were to believe that two accounts in the same household were for two different people, they'd probably ask for your payment information when you sign up, and keep it on file. This would hurt their business as it would turn a lot of people off. Why would they hurt themselves just so two roommates could benefit?

#46 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:35 PM

3. My initial point that if Goozex were to believe that two accounts in the same household were for two different people, they'd probably ask for your payment information when you sign up, and keep it on file. This would hurt their business as it would turn a lot of people off. Why would they hurt themselves just so two roommates could benefit?

They could just do it for same address cases--i.e. have an additional sign up step that requires both people to prove their identity by providing credit card info etc.

But that's probably just too much work for Goozex for the number of people it affects who don't have another option (like using their work mailing address or whatever).

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#47 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:52 PM

Way too much work for too little reward. Even now there are assholes that use public libraries to set up fake accounts and flood the system with fake offers that keep some of us from getting games that we've been waiting to get.

Use a PO Box if you really want to get back on the service. If not, stop bitching about it. Why did you even come in this thread if you've been permabanned?

I don't go on the Wii threads and bitch (or gloat) about how I don't have a Wii.

As for movies, this looks like a great way to bolster my Blu-Ray collection.

#48 zenintrude

zenintrude

habitual line stepper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:13 AM

I am not saying I was going to list them as "complete" I know they are now considered "disc-only" but I would just be able to put a comment next to them, maybe to seperate them from the other disc-only copies. If I list them as "disc-only" but plan on sending out the case and any inside insert why cant I say that to a potential trading partner?

You can send the person a message regarding this when you get the option to trade with them... I suppose you could let them know then, but there's no real benefit to it.

You only gain 1 trade credit (no 100 point bonus) from referrals now. I suppose this is to curb that practice.

YOU'RE GOING TO A NIGHTMARE PROM!

my trade list... lots of games for most systems

#49 Pookymeister

Pookymeister

I like almonds

• Super Moderators

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:58 AM

Already sending out 3 blu-rays after putting a bunch in the system this afternoon. Looks like i need to buy more tokens now...

#50 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:50 AM

Already sending out 3 blu-rays after putting a bunch in the system this afternoon. Looks like i need to buy more tokens now...

i am thinking of buying 120 tokens for 60

#51 WhiskyBR

WhiskyBR

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:01 AM

First movie going out tomorrow for 200 points. I think that is really the threshold for movies, at around $3.50 to ship the things, 100 points is barely worth it.

#52 rushisrighton

rushisrighton

Jimi Hendrix's apprentice

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:09 AM

I hit my ques early and loaded up my haves/wants right away. I'm sending out full metal jacket blue & I've allready had 3 requests accepted, goozex is sweet!

#53 Kerig

Kerig

Brown Thursday = $149 Zelda 3DSXL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:18 AM

Shipping & Scam Clarification:

WhiskyBR: I just shipped out Nightmare on Elm St. 2-disc DVD complete (6oz) for $2.27 1st Class including Delivery Confirmation. You're either using the Goozex shipping which adds a fee, or paying too much at the Post Office. Use Paypal shipping instead. Here's the Goozex thread with the link to the back door to Paypal Shipping.

I'm matched for 6 DVDs (none are "just movies" except the Boondock Saints Steelbook), there's a serious case of "I need more points!" going around Goozex right now, and it's hard to sell more games to get points for DVDs when everyone is restricted. Now's the time for those with tons of unused points to reap the harvest.

As for the scamtalk: I was thinking about what a queue scam could be before reading follow-up posts, and no one mentioned the most diabolical one:

queue-jumping: Using fake accounts, not to request the game, but to OFFER the game. If the scam-scum is 5th in line, and he sets up 4 fake accounts to OFFER the game, that will take #1-4 out of the line for a few days, jumping them to #1 in line for the next legitimate offer. If Goozex still does the double-timout, you're looking at 52 hours of jump time. Worst part is, the scammer doesn't need any points to buy-in, since any zero can offer any game and time-out without penalty...

:3ds: 1607-3007-9618

cag%20kerig.png

#54 KingofOldSchool

KingofOldSchool

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

i am thinking of buying 120 tokens for 60

Same here.

I think I've gotten more movies on here in the last two days than I've gotten games in the last six months.
Posted Image

http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=272112

Sign up under me a receive FREE X-Box 360 games. You can get CoD: Black Ops, Rock Band 3, Fable 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and MORE!

#55 nikkai

nikkai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:55 PM

No one wants standard def =/

#56 jscme

jscme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:08 PM

I don't think I've read the biggest scam I think that could take place by creating multiple accounts. It goes along with building up the feedback score. Correct me if I am wrong, but when a new user starts trading they can not have more than one or two outgoing discs at any one time, right? Once you have a certain number of successful trades behind your belt, you can trade an unlimited amount of games. So if you create a few fake accounts you can "trade" obscure 100 point games in order to get your rating up and then list a bunch of highly wanted 1000 point games. Since you get your points right away, you can then use them on other games and never send out the games that were listed.

I have to imagine that this method throws up some extreme red flags at Goozex HQ as they would just need to monitor the frequency and point count of new members who are sending out and receiving games that no one else wants.

...and on topic: My wife is going to kill me soon. Last month I was obsessed with going to Big Lots for cheap dvds and now I am using all my extra points to pick up dvds from goozex. We are already out of shelf space!

#57 jscme

jscme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

Also, I have a standard def tv and usually just get standard def, but I usually also only get tv shows or kids shows/movies for my son.

#58 techstar25

techstar25

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:10 PM

I have a stack of kids DVDs that they don't watch anymore. Elmo, Veggie Tales, Wonder Pets. They all seem to be worth 100 points. I'll list them. Maybe somebody wants them.

What's cool about Goozex is that it's free to list, unlike ebay, and you don't have to keep re-listing them, like Craigslist.

#59 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:38 PM

What's cool about Goozex is that it's free to list, unlike ebay, and you don't have to keep re-listing them, like Craigslist.

Yep the convenience is my favorite thing about Goozex.

I just don't have the time, patience or motivation to deal with selling things on eBay or Craigslist with any regularity, so I stick with Goozex even if I could possibly get more value selling it.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#60 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

i am getting like 10 + Blu-rays