Wii Internet Channel - New Update + Free!

BlueLobstah

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
It appears Nintendo has now made the internet channel free, in addition to Opera (finally) updating the flash version to what appears to be 9. Additionally if you paid for it previously, between October and December you will have the ability to download 1 500 point NES title for free.

I bought the Wii on day 1, and got the channel for free. I wonder if I will qualify for the free 500 point NES game. If I do.... I think I'll get Kid Icarus... or something.

I am not holding my breath- BUT since Nintendo's online is all over the place... maybe it will just be free for anyone who had the channel before today. One can hope!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is confirmed worldwide. The Internet Channel is free- with an update for those who already had it.

Details about the free 500 Wii Point NES game will be announced before the end of October.

[quote name='erectiontown']are they going to do that "help people get online" program here like they're doing abroad?[/QUOTE]

One can hope......

Yes, but more importantly than your free game is this:

On top of this, the Internet Channel has just been updated to support upgraded features of the Adobe Flash standard.

That's BIG news, if you ask me. Getting the browser to support recent Flash versions opens up the 'all in one' entertainment center possibilities a great deal. I use the browser every day to stream video and this will allow for a higher quality image and a choice of sites to visit for online TV.

Just noticed this as well when I turned the Wii on to try out Guitar Hero 5. Also had to do another update for the game to work. Nice to see the upgrade finally come.

Well, I tried out Hulu and it didn't work. Sure sucks, I don't want PlayOn. :/
I read that the browser now uses Flash Lite 3.1, which is apparently the features of Flash 8, so many things won't work.

[quote name='Jmclark']Well, I tried out Hulu and it didn't work. Sure sucks, I don't want PlayOn. :/[/QUOTE]

Hulu not working may be unrelated to the new flash version. I never tried using it previously, but Hulu is known for blocking tv-based access (media-pcs, PS3, etc.).

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Hulu not working may be unrelated to the new flash version. I never tried using it previously, but Hulu is known for blocking tv-based access (media-pcs, PS3, etc.).[/QUOTE]

Well before it was because of the outdated Flash 7. Even if Hulu has somehow disabled it on the Wii, many other Flash 9 sites don't work on the Wii.

It's cool that they are effectively giving our points back, for those who purchased it. My kids appreciate that move, as do I. What to get? Maybe Kirby's Adventure. Not sure yet.

Yeah, the browser is crappy (well, I haven't tried the updated version yet), but it still has come in handy a few times. No way was it worth money, but for free it's not a bad thing to have. They never should have charged for it, but at least they are making up for it by giving our points back. I'm wondering if they are just going to give us 500 points, or are they going to make us choose a specific NES game? We'll find out.

This would be awesome if there was a Hulu work around.

Does anyone know if you can watch MLB.com using it? Now that it's free, I may have to download this and check it out when I have some time.

bout time.. it should of always been free

edit- im getting am error message when i try to dl

Last edited by a moderator:
I was surprised to see the blue flashing light this morning that there was a message while I was eating breakfast and even more surprised that it was actually something worthwhile. Don't know how much I'll use the browser, but it is nice to have. I kind of wanted it before but it seemed like kind of a waste with a computer 10 steps from where the Wii is set up.

It sucks that Hulu doesn't work. Are there any sites with streaming TV shows that do work? Half the time when I turn the TV on there's nothing but garbage on TV.

From what it says, everyone who bought it will be credited. At least that's how I read it. We'll find out at the end of October.

Looks like it'll support Flash 9 content so long as it's using ActionScript 2 or lower.

[quote name='"Flash Lite 3 FAQ"']Flash Lite 3 broadcasts itself as a Flash 9 compatible player and will play back SWF content created with Flash 9 (Flash CS4 Professional) as long as it does not use ActionScript 3.[/quote]

You can watch TV shows/cartoons (he-man, voltron, thundercats) and movies on youtube, there are some movie companies uploading them now like MGM. That works on the wii I know that. I didn't get any flash update messages.

[quote name='crunchewy']From what it says, everyone who bought it will be credited. At least that's how I read it. We'll find out at the end of October.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by 'bought'?

I have the channel free because I owned the system at launch. Is that considdered bought?

Does Nintendo have a way to seperate people who actually spent points on it and those who got it when it was free?

I may be looking too far into this.....

I seem to recall that it said that if you had previously *purchased* it, you get the credit. Or to look at it another way - you *are* going to get your money back, just as much as you paid for it. ;^) EDIT: why should they give you 500 points back if you didn't spend 500 points on it? Maybe they can't tell, though. I guess you'll find out.

My official position on the new browser is this: I LURVES IT!

Faster loading time. More streaming multimedia options. Clearer resolution of streaming video.

Thank you, Nintendo, for hearing the wishes of a humble guy from southern Ontario.

[quote name='crunchewy']I seem to recall that it said that if you had previously *purchased* it, you get the credit. Or to look at it another way - you *are* going to get your money back, just as much as you paid for it. ;^) EDIT: why should they give you 500 points back if you didn't spend 500 points on it? Maybe they can't tell, though. I guess you'll find out.[/QUOTE]

Sure they can tell - you really don't think that Nintendo doesn't have records of who purchased what, when? At the very least, I'd imagine they have the dates of purchase recorded, and if they've got that they know who paid, given that the browser was sold during a particular period. Cutoff before they began charging, cutoff after it went free, and everyone left is the ones who get the credit.

bread's done
Back