Trine PC - Pre-order lowered to $19.99

tr00p

CAGiversary!
Amazon just lowered the price for the PC version of Trine from $29.99 to $19.99.

Trine is a very creative and good looking "puzzle platformer" game from Southpeak Interactive that has you control multiple fantasy characters with different abilities. The game is similar to the classic Lost Vikings, but physics-based.

This is a pre-order shipping September 8th. It has an automatic price guarantee, though this was the expected price for the new retail version, anyway. The price of the console versions was already $19.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Trine-Pc/dp/B002I7KJ5O/

MetaCritic Reviews (avg. 80/100)
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/trine

41AIdaFyX8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

959287_20090706_embed014.jpg

959287_20090706_embed044.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting on the PSN version. But if I was an early adopter, I would never buy a game from this developer and let them go out of business. Very shady business to try and sell for 39.99 on PC, then drop it almost the day of release to 29.99 and now see it should have been 19.99 for everyone all along.

Does the retail one have activation? It's supposed to be good, it's 2D which is awesome, and $20 is fine...but does it have activation at retail?

[quote name='aznguyen316']any plans to be on XBLA? I've only heard about this via PC/steam[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's got three separate publishers for the three platforms, and for some reason they've had a harder time with the Xbox one.

Note too that the price may be different. I doubt anything "shady" is going on as per that one person above-if you've got three different publishers putting out the game on each of the current gen platforms, it makes sense they may react to each other, as originally the Playstation one was the cheapest, but now the PC one I guess is matching the price.

[quote name='nightmare452']Waiting on the PSN version. But if I was an early adopter, I would never buy a game from this developer and let them go out of business. Very shady business to try and sell for 39.99 on PC, then drop it almost the day of release to 29.99 and now see it should have been 19.99 for everyone all along.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, shit. I hate it when publishers lower prices.

[quote name='nightmare452']Waiting on the PSN version. But if I was an early adopter, I would never buy a game from this developer and let them go out of business. Very shady business to try and sell for 39.99 on PC, then drop it almost the day of release to 29.99 and now see it should have been 19.99 for everyone all along.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I got burned on Wolfenstein in the same way; never buying another PC game on release day again.

The game isn't even out yet. You won't be charge the higher price because they haven't charged you anything.

[quote name='_heretic']Yeah, shit. I hate it when publishers lower prices.[/QUOTE]
You hate when game price drops??? You prefer to pay the higher price?

Did I just enter into the twilight zone?

[quote name='_heretic']Yeah, shit. I hate it when publishers lower prices.
iy.gif
[/QUOTE]
Yea I hate unexpected price drops too, that leaves us hanging if we just purchased a day earlier.

Check the URL, this is EXPENSIVEassgamer.com :D

(Actually that thought amuses me-a site where people try to spend as much as possible per game)

By now I'd probably pick this version up if I could actually run it properly (when I played the demo I had to set it to the lowest graphical settings just to get it to run smoothly), but alas I still have to wait for the PSN version. While the demo was fun, I'm almost starting not to care anymore.

How dare they follow supply and demand and drop to a price point at which people are willing to buy. Have you been so conditioned by the $60 standardized game pricing that you can't understand why a developer would lower the price, even before it hits the shelves? Should they have kept the price at $39.99, rather than lowering it?

it's been $19.99, other retailers, such as newegg have had that price. I don't think is a drop, rather the publisher price set may have been confusing since so many different publishers are attached to each platform for trine

Maybe this is actually a FOURTH publisher! :lol:

Anyone know about activation though? I'd probably preorder now if it's clean.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Check the URL, this is EXPENSIVEassgamer.com :D

(Actually that thought amuses me-a site where people try to spend as much as possible per game)[/QUOTE]

HA! Just go to the Steam forums and look at the posts of people who bought the Interplay games at Steam instead of GOG! Now that is amusing! :lol:

I too am curious about the DRM/activation for this game.

[quote name='msdmoney']How dare they follow supply and demand and drop to a price point at which people are willing to buy. Have you been so conditioned by the $60 standardized game pricing that you can't understand why a developer would lower the price, even before it hits the shelves? Should they have kept the price at $39.99, rather than lowering it?[/QUOTE]
It's getting to the point where games are holding no value in this economy. If people see games dropping $20 after two weeks (becoming very popular), they will stop buying altogether until they're satisfied they won't get screwed on the price. Also, if a game drops radically it shows a no vote of confidence in the product, indicating that it's a bad game. When this happens with a great game like Batman, it shows that retailers are just competing to move units regardless of demand.

On a side note, Activision believes they're recession-proof and are in for one hell of a rude awakening with the price-gouging that is MW2.

Activision HAS to be in trouble, but they don't know it yet. They dumped games like Wet, Brutal Legend, and Ghostbusters...for a bunch of crappy sequel games that come with $100 hunks of plastic.

I'm hoping and going to be laughing hysterically at them if they fail hard.

And I'm equally hoping the games they dumped do okay (assuming they all end up solid-and from the looks of things they are). Ghostbusters looks cool, Wet looks kick-ass (and I love Bethesda's marketing on their web site!) and Brutal Legend, while not really my thing in terms of the heavy metal stuff, will probably still be good.

[quote name='msdmoney']How dare they follow supply and demand and drop to a price point at which people are willing to buy. Have you been so conditioned by the $60 standardized game pricing that you can't understand why a developer would lower the price, even before it hits the shelves? Should they have kept the price at $39.99, rather than lowering it?[/QUOTE]

My initial complain wasn't that price drops are bad or unexpected (love them), its that if a company decides and announces their new game will be 39.99 on PC and 19.99 on PSN months before release, thats not fair to PC gamers. Anyone who preordered the PC downloadable version had to pay the 39.99 price (Steam had the PC preorder on "sale" 25% off price, thus making it 29.99). Game came out, and a couple of days later was 'officially' lowered by the publisher/developer cause of fan outrage. All this time, the PSN was supposed to be 19.99 all along. Now, they are finally matching the original PSN announced price, I just believe its shady buisness what they did with the price fluctuation to loyal PC gamers. PC gamers should have had this at 19.99 all along, the same as the PSN users.

Well...it is weird, and I can TOTALLY understand the frustration, but I just don't think it's shady or planned. It might be if it was the same publisher, but it's not. It was probably a reaction to the Playstation publisher's price point. I think the Xbox one was going to run more (once it's actually finished), but I'm kind of guessing it might come out for the same price point too though.

The PC one on Steam actually has the least-bad activation though, and MAYBE, hopefully the retail one will be clean.

It's definitely worth 19.99. I really loved Trine. I was considering preordering the game on Steam after enjoying the demo. Luckily, I didn't do that and bought it immediately upon noticing the 19.99 price on Steam. If you're unsure, at least try the demo.

Other sites had Trine for $19.99 from the start (Gamestop, Newegg) does that mean a universal drop is imminent?
Referring to the digital version..

bread's done
Back