Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Borderlands - Gen. Discussion & Info - OUT NOW (8.0 GS, 8.8 IGN, 88 Metacritic)

• Please log in to reply
499 replies to this topic

#451 Teh Nitwit

Teh Nitwit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:02 PM

Yea- the bosses in the first games were disappointing as hell. Their difficulty was completely based around how much you had leveled up before getting to them.

It wasn't just the bosses that were like this. All damage was scaled according to the difference in levels. I really hope that they remove that in the sequel. I would prefer if my lev 69 character took normal damage from level 5 opponents (who would still have sucky weapons and do minor damage). Using levels to scale damage IMO only unbalances the game, making it either too easy or too hard (Bone Head anyone?).

#452 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

It wasn't just the bosses that were like this. All damage was scaled according to the difference in levels. I really hope that they remove that in the sequel. I would prefer if my lev 69 character took normal damage from level 5 opponents (who would still have sucky weapons and do minor damage). Using levels to scale damage IMO only unbalances the game, making it either too easy or too hard (Bone Head anyone?).

Yeah and was it just me or were the boss drops generally disappointing as well? I can only think of a few boss drops that it was actually worth it to use...

#453 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:13 PM

Was the bone cutter the one with the nice semi automatic scoped shot? I used that one for a while. My brother's coop partner used Sledge's shotgun for most of the game.
Spoiler

#454 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:37 PM

Would like to have better Voip in sequel and more varied quests that did not fall into the categories of fetch or collect 90% of the time.

#455 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Church of Falcon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:38 PM

I liked the scaling damage and never had problems with any of the bosses (outside of Crawmerax). I do agree with the boss drops being sucky sometimes, though.

#456 AdmrlBalls

AdmrlBalls

Beefcake pantyhose

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

Using levels to scale damage IMO only unbalances the game, making it either too easy or too hard (Bone Head anyone?).

Exactly. I almost quit playing this game early on when I encountered Bone Head because I was only a Level 8 or so and he was impossible to defeat no matter what I did. I quickly figured out that leveling up first made the game a whole heck of a lot easier.

Can't wait for Borderlands 2...

AdmrlBalls.png

#457 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

Supposedly first Borderlands 2 details from Game Informer.

- Co-op will probably be 4 players
- Vehicles will have variety
- One vehicle: Bandit Technical
- One vehicle will have four seats
- Eridium – enhance weapons
- Eridium is a form of currency
- Salvador: Gunzerker, can dual-wield with any weapon
- Vault Hunters from the first game will be NPCs
- Bandits can access their own type of weaponry
- Unique styling, color, personality for each manufacturer
- Custom decals/enhancements for weapons
- More responsive enemies, more varied, better AI, improvement so that they interact with each other better
- NPCs will also be improved, will move around more
- Interacting dialogue for players
- Skill tree will be similar to the first game (3 branch system)
- Claptrap seems to be returning
- Apparently there won’t be any old weapons
- Story missions won’t be static
- Some pickups will provide temporary buffs

http://gamingeverything.com/?p=7216

#458 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Church of Falcon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:08 PM

It kind of bothers me that my Soldier will supposedly be an NPC in the second game, but then again I'm kind of okay with it as long as they don't kill him off. Also, "Gunzerker"? I like the sound of that, it makes me think that we may get some blended Vault Hunters. What would the others be, though?

#459 praxus07

praxus07

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:14 AM

OK, just finished my first game and got a few questions...

What's the benefit of selecting that Second runthrough? I've just completed the main game once, why run it again?

On my first runthrough character I'm playing whichever dlc it is that centers on T-Bone Junction. Why is it that every time I end my current game I end up back in T-Bone Junction? I left off in the prison, but when I loaded my game again I'm suddenly back in T-Bone.

And I thought all the first runthrough claptrap rescues gave you backpack slots as a reward? The prison one gave me a grenade mod, and I ended up switching off the game before it saved. Is that not a slot upgrade reward for that mission??

And I'm currently at level 40. When does the decent gear start dropping? I'm using a level 18-20ish SMG and rifle because nothing at all has dropped with better stats in 20 levels. These two are worth about 10k each, with 100k gear dropping that's complete crap compared to these two items.
Praxus_07.png

#460 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:35 PM

The enemy levels are higher on the second playthrough so they drop better gear. You can go back and forth from the 1st and 2nd playthrough as much as you want.

Whenever you reload your game, you start at one of the big respawn points (one that you also teleport to/from), all the DLCs only have one of these, so in every DLC you start back at the beginning.

I can't quite remember if the DLC Claptraps are all the same, but I do remember that the drops are sometimes randomized so if you reload your game and do it again you have a chance of getting the backpack SDU.
Posted Image
Games Completed '08 (32) - '09 (43) - '10 (48) - '11 (43) -'12 (15)
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#461 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:46 PM

OK, just finished my first game and got a few questions...

What's the benefit of selecting that Second runthrough? I've just completed the main game once, why run it again?

On my first runthrough character I'm playing whichever dlc it is that centers on T-Bone Junction. Why is it that every time I end my current game I end up back in T-Bone Junction? I left off in the prison, but when I loaded my game again I'm suddenly back in T-Bone.

And I thought all the first runthrough claptrap rescues gave you backpack slots as a reward? The prison one gave me a grenade mod, and I ended up switching off the game before it saved. Is that not a slot upgrade reward for that mission??

And I'm currently at level 40. When does the decent gear start dropping? I'm using a level 18-20ish SMG and rifle because nothing at all has dropped with better stats in 20 levels. These two are worth about 10k each, with 100k gear dropping that's complete crap compared to these two items.

Second playthrough will have tougher enemies and higher level loot.

That's the way all of the expansions work, you end up at the initial teleport location every time you exit the game and come back. It is a bit annoying.

I don't believe you get extra slots from the DLC claptraps. I think the maximum is somewhere around 40, maybe 42?

I'd say your best bet for better gear will be when you get to Crawmerax in the T-Bone Junction DLC. You can post up on the left crack where he can't get to you (check youtube so you know what I'm talking about) and you can just create a new character and play split screen and use the extra character to coax him into turning around so you can shoot his back until you get an Orion (sniper rifle that ricochets, once you have it you can ricochet the shots onto his back by shooting a pillar beside/behind him).

If you can't beat him, then your next best bet would be New Haven chest farming on your second playthrough. There are tons of videos out there explaining what to do, so just check youtube.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#462 praxus07

praxus07

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:31 AM

Did some more reading, and apparently 42 is max for guaranteed backpack slots. You can get more doing the claptrap rescues in the DLC's, but it's random wether you get the upgrade or a grenade mod. So I ran the claptrap rescue two more times, which was a major pain since you always spawn back at t-bone, and still have not gotten the backpack upgrade. Think I might just say the heck with it and not bother.
Praxus_07.png

#463 Miami_13

Miami_13

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:44 AM

Picked up Borderlands about 2 weeks ago to tie me over before Resistance 3 and really like it a lot. Being late to the party none of my friends play it anyone and I know people say it's much more fun playing co-op. Anyone want to add me, feel free....PSN: Miami_13

Also is the DLC worth it? I'm quite tempted to get at least the General Knoxx for the level cap.

#464 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:26 AM

Picked up the complete pack for $15 during the PSN sale and am just now getting around to playing it, add me for coop.

Guardian_owl.png

#465 MrRosales

MrRosales

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:43 PM

Yea I'm looking to finally beat this game from start to finish and I'd rather do it in Co-Op with 2-4 people preferably ones that have a mic. If anyone is up for it add me

PSN is MrRosales
Posted Image

#466 nakanenui

nakanenui

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:01 AM

Is it just me or is the Claptrap Revolution DLC collectible trophies a total PITA? Oil cans and Bobbleheads drop so infrequently that I have already spent a good 9 hours farming MINAC and maybe got half the requirement. The things one will do for 100% trophy list... need to move on and let it go I guess.
NowPlaying: BF3, RFG, Disgaea3
Latest Plat: Lego HP 1-4

#467 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:22 AM

I got them by leaving my PS3 on over night during the boss battle. There's a safe place to hide, all the kamikazes blow up and have a chance at dropping stuff.
Posted Image
Games Completed '08 (32) - '09 (43) - '10 (48) - '11 (43) -'12 (15)
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#468 JG5253

JG5253

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:20 AM

Yea I'm looking to finally beat this game from start to finish and I'd rather do it in Co-Op with 2-4 people preferably ones that have a mic. If anyone is up for it add me

PSN is MrRosales

I'll add you. I've been wanting to finish the game also

#469 MrRosales

MrRosales

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:14 AM

I'll add you. I've been wanting to finish the game also

Just put your from CAG when and IF you do
Posted Image

#470 Foxx

Foxx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:16 AM

Hey guys I'm thinking about getting this game + the DLC. You think its worth it for about $10?

lobster-dog20-1.jpg

#471 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:49 AM

Hey guys I'm thinking about getting this game + the DLC. You think its worth it for about $10?

This game was worth $60, day one.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#472 JG5253

JG5253

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:47 AM

Just put your from CAG when and IF you do

Alright I'll add you right now.

#473 Foxx

Foxx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:53 AM

Alright guys if you feel like playing together feel free to add my PSN: Fakehound. I'll be at the beginning of the game though so you might not exactly want to xD

lobster-dog20-1.jpg

#474 JG5253

JG5253

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:57 AM

Alright guys if you feel like playing together feel free to add my PSN: Fakehound. I'll be at the beginning of the game though so you might not exactly want to xD

I'll add you. My level is in the High 20s though

#475 nakanenui

nakanenui

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:38 PM

I just killed defeated GK. I think I made a mistake when I first came to T-Bone Junction by selecting my 2nd playthrough. So I am at level 58 trying to get to 61 and it is taking a long time. I am going to try to finish off all the quests for the 'completionist' trophy working my way to the crawmerax quest. If anyone wants to help kill the crawfish (which is damn near impossible for me to solo, even with splitscreen 2nd controller), feel free to add me (with a CAG message in the request) so I can finish off this DLC.

I might just have to leave my PS3 on for a few hours then on the MINAC battle just to get the however many oil cans and bobbleheads I need (I wish they would have a counter or something).
NowPlaying: BF3, RFG, Disgaea3
Latest Plat: Lego HP 1-4

#476 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:27 PM

I just killed defeated GK. I think I made a mistake when I first came to T-Bone Junction by selecting my 2nd playthrough. So I am at level 58 trying to get to 61 and it is taking a long time. I am going to try to finish off all the quests for the 'completionist' trophy working my way to the crawmerax quest. If anyone wants to help kill the crawfish (which is damn near impossible for me to solo, even with splitscreen 2nd controller), feel free to add me (with a CAG message in the request) so I can finish off this DLC.

I might just have to leave my PS3 on for a few hours then on the MINAC battle just to get the however many oil cans and bobbleheads I need (I wish they would have a counter or something).

One of the best places to level the
Spoiler
, just run through there multiple times with a shock weapon or anything if you have a Hunter and maxed out the Trespass (bypass enemy shields) skill. The big enemies are worth a ton of XP.

How to kill Crawmerax solo:

Spoiler

2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

#477 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:02 PM

I got Borderlands and all the DLC when it was on sale on the PSN. I'm currently working on my first playthrough and on the DLC now. Already finished zombie, tried underdome, and now on General Knox.

I was thinking of getting this game on Xbox 360 to play with a friend who only has it on Xbox 360. Going to hope for a deal on Borderlands Game of the Year Edition for 360 like at Gamestop several months ago for $19.99. I'm still kicking myself for not getting such a cheap copy.

#478 Jmclark

Jmclark

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

I borrowed this game from a friend a while ago, platinumed it with another friend during that time. Bought my own copy a few weeks ago for $15 (and then bought General Knoxx DLC last night for $10), and I'm so glad I did. I have two characters I'm working on solo right now, but that I'd love to use to play with someone. They are:

Level 54 soldier (working on General Knoxx DLC, only a few missions in)
Level 20 berserker

Hit me up on PSN if you're close in level and want someone to play with.

#479 DOMINATOR912

DOMINATOR912

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:52 AM

Out of curiosity, is it possible to hit level 50 without doing massive grinding in playthrough 1 (including the DLCs)? I'm currently level 42 and I've finished every mission in the main game, every mission from Zombie Island and am about halfway through General Knoxx (I think, I'm at the part where
Spoiler
). I still have the rest of General Knoxx and all of Robot Revolution to do, and I plan on doing all missions/sidequests. Think I can hit 50?

#480 surak

surak

Pickle Inspector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:00 AM

On a second playthrough at Level 69, my wife and I beat Crawmerax yesterday when either the game glitched or Crawmerax made a very dumb move. It fell down the canyon and got stuck. Unfortunately, our characters couldn't go down to where Crawmerax was for loot, but a Scorpio turret worked fine being dropped down there.

I can see how it would be fairly easy to kill Crawmerax in solo, though potentially tedious, by whittling away at it using a Siren with max Phasewalk duration and regen plus a big shield with very fast recharge.