Photo
- - - - -

Borderlands - Gen. Discussion & Info - OUT NOW (8.0 GS, 8.8 IGN, 88 Metacritic)

• Please log in to reply
499 replies to this topic

#481 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:53 AM

Out of curiosity, is it possible to hit level 50 without doing massive grinding in playthrough 1 (including the DLCs)? I'm currently level 42 and I've finished every mission in the main game, every mission from Zombie Island and am about halfway through General Knoxx (I think, I'm at the part where

Spoiler
). I still have the rest of General Knoxx and all of Robot Revolution to do, and I plan on doing all missions/sidequests. Think I can hit 50?

Have you been doing the little challenges? Like "kill 100 people", etc? You might be able to hit it if you do all of those- otherwise you may need to do PT2 for a minute.
Spoiler

#482 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:19 AM

Out of curiosity, is it possible to hit level 50 without doing massive grinding in playthrough 1 (including the DLCs)? I'm currently level 42 and I've finished every mission in the main game, every mission from Zombie Island and am about halfway through General Knoxx (I think, I'm at the part where

Spoiler
). I still have the rest of General Knoxx and all of Robot Revolution to do, and I plan on doing all missions/sidequests. Think I can hit 50?

You have a good bit of stuff left, you can probably make it with little to no grinding assuming you do everything.

#483 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:46 PM

I got 5 more trophies to go and I'll have my first platinum trophy. I'm on level 46 trying to get to 50. Where's the best place to level up?
Posted Image

#484 Solid Scarecrow

Solid Scarecrow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:59 PM

All right I'm not trying to be a thread crasher but I have Borderlands and I don't really like it. I have problems leveling up and missions seem to hard, am I doing something wrong? I got the game on sale. I love the Fallout games and maybe Im trying to play it to much like Fallout?

#485 DOMINATOR912

DOMINATOR912

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:05 AM

All right I'm not trying to be a thread crasher but I have Borderlands and I don't really like it. I have problems leveling up and missions seem to hard, am I doing something wrong? I got the game on sale. I love the Fallout games and maybe Im trying to play it to much like Fallout?

Usually just because a new mission is available to you, it doesn't mean you're ready to do it. Check what the recommended level is for the mission. If it's more than 2 levels above your current level, you're gonna get spanked.

#486 Narcisstalker

Narcisstalker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:27 AM

Borderlands is most akin to an MMO in terms of how it handles your level in relation to your current quest and the enemies that you're facing. If the quest is tough/impossible, the enemies are more than say 2-3 levels above you, and/or you are seeing skulls then you need to come back later or pray for skilled luck.

You can do things like crystal runs and/or Claptrap SDU runs if you are under-leveled but even then it'll be a costly war of attrition.

#487 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:38 AM

Here's what I do. Select every available mission I can get, from people message boards, etc. Try to do all of them at once when you are in the same geographic area. If you see anything that is green pick it up even if you are not doing that mission. -It will be for another mission and it will save you the trip of running back and forth.

#488 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

^On the "collect 50 of _____" missions, like the brains in the zombie DLC, or the fish, bottles, etc. They only start the counter AFTER the mission has been activated. So don't waste time on them unless you have them in your list.
Spoiler

#489 Supreme0ne

Supreme0ne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

i picked up the GOTY edition when it came out and played it for a few months. really enjoyed the game and played the 4th dlc a bit before i quit. should really go back and finish it
-Insert witty or meaningful quote here.-

#490 DOMINATOR912

DOMINATOR912

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:11 AM

Finished up all missions in all DLCs (except killing Crawmerax, a couple of Circle of Duty rounds, and all the Underdome crap) and only got up to level 46 (maybe halfway to 47). Is there a good spot in playthrough 1 where I can grind out the last few levels for the platinum or do I pretty much have to start playthrough 2?

#491 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:38 AM

Finished up all missions in all DLCs (except killing Crawmerax, a couple of Circle of Duty rounds, and all the Underdome crap) and only got up to level 46 (maybe halfway to 47). Is there a good spot in playthrough 1 where I can grind out the last few levels for the platinum or do I pretty much have to start playthrough 2?

Definitely kill Crawmerax, him and his minions will give plenty of experience. I think I've posted the easy way to kill him solo once or twice in this thread. Just look back a few pages. The only thing is you need to find an Orion sniper rifle.

Circle of Duty can be pretty difficult if you do it alone, but when you walk in turn towards your right or left and you'll see pillars in the corner. They don't seem to have any collision with the character, so you can clip right through them, but they stop bullets. This is really useful when the jetpack guys come and you're doing it alone. Just remember you have to step out of them to fire because they will stop your bullets as well.

Underdome rounds give no experience and I don't believe they help weapon proficiencies either. Also, the larger challenges are enough to make you hate the game.

The best spot to get XP in the main game is probably the Eden Primatory run leading up to the vault. The larger aliens are worth 12,000 XP each. If you are a hunter, re-spec your skill tree to max out the trespass skill and you can roll through this in no time as they are all shields and little health. If you're any other class, use the best shock weapon you can get your hands on.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#492 nakanenui

nakanenui

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

I hated the Moxxi DLC. Had to use the 2 controller, weaker character method.

I wasted hours trying to level in the Claptrap Revolution DLC on playthrough 2. Do not try grinding in this DLC. General Knoxx was way easier to grind xp. For instance, on playthrough 2 you can get in the vehicle (with the homing missiles) and go to the map with the huge bullet (Northernmost? map) and just kill the huge spider things from the safety of the freeway (stay out of their range) for like 13k xp per guy. They respawn after a short while so you can farm them easy enough. Also, you can kill Crawmerax minions for easy xp (youtube has some video on where to hide, safe spots, and which weapons work good). I was using a Siren character with max points in the xp skill (get +20% xp per kill). If you have a soldier he has a mod you can find that can give up to +25% xp (I only found a +24% for my non-main). If you do not mind split screen you can use your main as Player 1, your non-main as Player 2, and use their passive skills while killing things with your main. And when/if your non-main character dies, it is only money so not really a penalty.
NowPlaying: BF3, RFG, Disgaea3
Latest Plat: Lego HP 1-4

#493 DOMINATOR912

DOMINATOR912

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:34 PM

From what I read, even using the ledge trick, you need to be at least 60-61 to kill Crawmerax solo. Is it possible to take him out using a level 46 soldier?

EDIT: Looked up the Orion sniper, and I've never seen anything even remotely close to that anywhere in the game. Seems like everything I need to kill Crawmerax is maybe 5-10 levels above where I'm at.

Edited by DOMINATOR912, 14 October 2011 - 04:47 PM.

#494 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:52 PM

From what I read, even using the ledge trick, you need to be at least 60-61 to kill Crawmerax solo. Is it possible to take him out using a level 46 soldier?

EDIT: Looked up the Orion sniper, and I've never seen anything even remotely close to that anywhere in the game. Seems like everything I need to kill Crawmerax is maybe 5-10 levels above where I'm at.

I'm not sure but I thought Crawmerax scales 2 levels above whatever you currently are. So I don't know if it really gets any easier with high levels. You can use a second player in the other semi-safe spot to coax him to turn around to substitute for not having an Orion. It's just the Orion is needed for a true solo kill the easy way.

Pop a turret at the top of the elevator to buy you time to get to the safe spot. Use the shock on the turret to take care of the maggots. They are fast and can run into you which launches you off the cliff.

#495 hufferstl

hufferstl

Get your symbols kid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:20 PM

If anyone can help me kill Clawmerax(read kill clawmerax for me), I would let you have all the loot that you want. Please someone help me.

The old bridge used to be called the new bridge.

card.png

#496 DOMINATOR912

DOMINATOR912

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:00 PM

I'm not sure but I thought Crawmerax scales 2 levels above whatever you currently are. So I don't know if it really gets any easier with high levels. You can use a second player in the other semi-safe spot to coax him to turn around to substitute for not having an Orion. It's just the Orion is needed for a true solo kill the easy way.

Pop a turret at the top of the elevator to buy you time to get to the safe spot. Use the shock on the turret to take care of the maggots. They are fast and can run into you which launches you off the cliff.

It scales 2 levels above you, but it has a minimum level of 61, same as his minions. Anywho, I said screw it and gave playthrough 2 a shot. XP there is really the way to go. Did all missions up until the point you meet Shep and got nearly a full level worth of xp. I figure at this rate I should be 50 by the time I get to New Haven.

#497 nakanenui

nakanenui

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

yeah on Playthrough 2, do the missions as it gives you much more xp than killing stuff. Until you get to certain enemies that is.
NowPlaying: BF3, RFG, Disgaea3
Latest Plat: Lego HP 1-4

#498 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

Once you beat play through 2 every enemy will scale to you. Keep that in mind if you have any little side quests left.

#499 DOMINATOR912

DOMINATOR912

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

Once you beat play through 2 every enemy will scale to you. Keep that in mind if you have any little side quests left.

I'll probably never finish playthrough 2. I've never been one to play through a game more than once. At this point I'm just trying to get to 50 so I can get the platinum and move on to another game. I hope Borderlands 2 is more like the Claptrap DLC than anything else (more funny moments, less arena fight garbage).

UPDATE: Got level 50 just as I got the mission to go kill Krom (doing every subquest available up to this point).

Edited by DOMINATOR912, 15 October 2011 - 10:19 PM.

#500 hufferstl

hufferstl

Get your symbols kid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:15 PM

I still need Clawmerax help if anyone wants to help me out. You can keep all the loot.

The old bridge used to be called the new bridge.

card.png