It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:13 AM

So it was money well spent.

#1383 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:14 AM

Indeed. Hate seeing Auburn win.

But good game. Not what I expected with two top 10 offenses and two mediocre defenses, but still a great game!

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1384 dabamus

dabamus

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:16 AM

Well, as a friend of mine said on facebook, that's why you play to the whistle.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Too bad I see him being hit by a parked bus in the near future.

#1385 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:19 AM

Indeed. Hate seeing Auburn win.

But good game. Not what I expected with two top 10 offenses and two mediocre defenses, but still a great game!

As an SEC guy, I don't mind seeing them win. I just know it's almost pointless because more details will likely come out in a year or two, and all these wins will be vacated.

#1386 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:19 AM

Great Game.

Just like I stated earlier... SEC is known for defense. One of the worst d's in the SEC held the "high powered" Oregon offense to 19 points. I will give it up to Oregon's defense. They really came to play tonight and exceeded what I thought (i.e. I originally thought this would be a blowout in favor to Auburn).

5 National Championships in a row for the SEC.

#1387 scuba t

scuba t

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:25 AM

Congrats to Auburn. (cracks open a beer and waits)

#1388 MasterSun1

MasterSun1

Already Guilty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:26 AM

Congratulations to Auburn for winning a close, but ugly game. Too many mistakes for both teams, but ultimately Oregon made a ton more that ended costing them the game. Surprised the refs didn't blow the whistle on that run, but the right call was made.

And using the last timeout was a bonehead call by Chip Kelly. Give up the 3 and have a chance at a kick return with ~7 seconds left or field a squib kick for one Hail Mary. Instead they never even get a chance.

Surprised at the lowing scoring affair, but both defenses played lights out today. However, Auburn deserved to win that game since Oregon kept using a DE to play man-cover a WR or TE.

#1389 munch

munch

la tête de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:42 AM

War Damn Eagle!

#1390 Amblix

Amblix

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

Great game today, that review was intense for everyone watching.

#1391 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

Congratulations to Auburn for winning a close, but ugly game. Too many mistakes for both teams, but ultimately Oregon made a ton more that ended costing them the game. Surprised the refs didn't blow the whistle on that run, but the right call was made.

And using the last timeout was a bonehead call by Chip Kelly. Give up the 3 and have a chance at a kick return with ~7 seconds left or field a squib kick for one Hail Mary. Instead they never even get a chance.

Surprised at the lowing scoring affair, but both defenses played lights out today. However, Auburn deserved to win that game since Oregon kept using a DE to play man-cover a WR or TE.

Too many mistakes??? Oregon played their offensive game like they have all year with run first spread offense. The difference is they hadn't played more than 1 good team all season so they weren't expecting to play a decent/good defense (like I mentioned earlier, the Pac-10 is an offensive league, little to no defense, with only 2 good teams, Oregon and Stanford). Auburn on the other hand played close games all season against good teams (see Bama's blowout of Mich St, LSU's blowout of Texas A&M, Miss St's blowout of Mich, ... you get the drift).

The only bad thing for both teams were some slips that could have a resulted in first downs or more (more of the big plays were in favor of Auburn). Besides that, Oregon could never start the running game that got them to that point (see the 4 stops around goalline). They kept trying for it and it just never got working. As for an extra kickoff, it wouldn't have changed the end result (swift kick, 1 hail mary knockdown, gameover).

As for the last comment, most of the passing for Auburn came from your CB Harris playing too deep on the receivers he guarded. The announcers made plenty comments towards him the whole game by playing lax on WRs.

But the positive is that you return alot of your guys.

#1392 MasterSun1

MasterSun1

Already Guilty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

Too many mistakes???

Auburn had a great defense, but yes, too many mistakes. The interception on a sideline throw to LaMichael James was a bad, high throw that was Thomas' fault. The other interception was a forced turnover on Auburn's part with Fairley's pressure, but DT shouldn't have forced it and needed to either take the sack or throw the ball at the feet of the receiver. Lastly, having the DE Kenny Rowe guarding a TE or WR was arguably the worst defensive play calling I have ever seen.

As for an extra kickoff, it wouldn't have changed the end result (swift kick, 1 hail mary knockdown, gameover).

Anything can happen was long as there is time on the clock and it's a one possession game.

As for the last comment, most of the passing for Auburn came from your CB Harris playing too deep on the receivers he guarded. The announcers made plenty comments towards him the whole game by playing lax on WRs.

The big plays from Auburn's passing was not because of Cliff Harris. He came up with an interception and nearly another one. It was all Kenny Rowe from dropping off and having to guard people he has no business guarding. ESPN highlighted it many times.

Also, I give Fairley all the credit in the world (though he is a dirty player). Thomas made pretty much all the wrong reads on the Zone Read and Triple Option plays which made it easy for Fairley. That and the Oregon's O-line couldn't block him when they needed to.

#1393 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

Do you...want my carrots?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

They really need to start hosting the national championship in a dome. The slips are numerous for both teams.

The problem lies in that the field was only about a week old. You can't lay down grass and expect it to set in that short of a period.

I was surprised to finally see Auburn have a stout defense, but when you have 4 weeks to prepare for one team maybe it's not so surprising. And with both teams I feel as the defense was fairly solid making important stops all throughout the game.

But I don't have much else to say other than War Eagle. This will be an enjoyable year of gloating in Alabama.

Posted Image

SSBB: blue - 4897-5594-5432
MKWii: Jason - 0344-9687-4928

#1394 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

The interception on a sideline throw to LaMichael James was a bad, high throw that was Thomas' fault.

First off, the pass was to Barner, it was catchable, and he tip it. Yes, Thomas overthrew some receivers but it is expected as being a QB. No one is perfect. Cam Newton overthrew receivers as well. A few which would have given them touchdowns.

The other interception was a forced turnover on Auburn's part with Fairley's pressure, but DT shouldn't have forced it and needed to either take the sack or throw the ball at the feet of the receiver.

QBs try to make plays before a sack. It happens for all teams all the time. A mistake... yes... but also a possible big play. Newton did the opposite. He gain 15 yards via a pass when almost sacked in the backfield.

The mistakes you listed could have been avoided but none were as big play as the drop by Smith (Auburn) in the end zone. Another TD avoided was a overthrow by Newton on a receiver who was way behind the secondary. Auburn could have had a 3rd pick which was dropped midfield. If you considering these points, Auburn had worst "mistakes". Personally, I don't consider them mistakes. Everything happens for a reason. The outcome of the game is the outcome... No need for excuses.

Also, I give Fairley all the credit in the world (though he is a dirty player). Thomas made pretty much all the wrong reads on the Zone Read and Triple Option plays which made it easy for Fairley. That and the Oregon's O-line couldn't block him when they needed to.

Correction: The O-Line didn't TRY to block him. The majority of the time he was unblocked. That was just purely crazy for me as he won the Lombardi Award.

But all in all, it was a fun game to watch. Good luck next year.

Now that Auburn helped the SEC win a 5th consecutive championships, are you going to change your stance on realizing that the SEC is the best conference in college football?

EDIT: Glad to see my team ended the season #17 in the AP.

#1395 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

The SEC is clearly the best league. I hate it and would like someone one else to step up as I hate the fucking south even more after moving down here for work, but it's clearly the dominant league.

Sucks even more being a fan of a Big Least team. Wish that fucking league would die already, but unlikely with TCU coming in and looking at adding a couple more teams.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1396 bordjon

bordjon

tastes good on the bun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

best I've seen Dyer play all season. Auburn's D played solid. Cam just wasn't all there though. Auburn has kept fans on the edge of their seats all season long so I guess this game was no different. I'm proud for my undergrad alma mater!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1397 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:28 PM

Stanford promoted Offense Coordinator David Shaw to Head Coach.

http://sports.espn.g...=ESPNUHeadlines

Good move with Luck coming back, the offense shouldn't miss a beat next year.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1398 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:35 PM

With National Signing Day behind us...
Florida State (yay team) is #1 on ESPNU and #2 on both Rivals and Scout. Woo Hoo!!

Biggest shock is what USC was able to pull. Did Kiffin send out prostitute students that pull in these recruits (see Tennessee)? I mean really... who wants to play for a school that they know wont have a post season for a couple years...

#1399 munch

munch

la tête de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:16 PM

They only have one more year left of no postseason. Next year they can go to a bowl.

#1400 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

They only have one more year left of no postseason. Next year they can go to a bowl.

As for now, I thought they still have 2 years no post season (which they are trying to reduce to 1) and a few years (not sure the exact) where they lose 10 scholorships (which they are trying to reduce to 5). Either way, the NCAA supposely is trying to nail Kiffin for the bad recruiting practice at Tennessee (which is about to get sanctions themselves). My guess is they nail his current place at USC.

#1401 munch

munch

la tête de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:15 PM

They got banned for 2 years of postseason, and they served one this past year. The scholarship reduction will begin once the appeal process is done. So, it will be in effect next year.

#1402 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:19 PM

Yeah, they already served one of the 2 years of no postseason this past year. So this year is their last of no post season.

Most recruits redshirt the freshman year, so it won't affect them since they aren't playing this year anyway. So they'd still get their full 4 years with post season possibilities as long as there's no future sanctions added.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1403 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

Rivals Pre-Spring Practice top 25
1. Oklahoma
2. Alabama
3. Oregon
4. LSU
5. Ohio St
6. Stanford
7. Florida State
8. Boise St
9. Okahoma St
10. Nebraska
11. Texas A&M
12. Michigan St
13. South Carolina
14. Virginia Tech
15. Notre Dame
16. Arkansas
17. TCU
18. Wisconsin
19. Arizona St
20. West Virginia
21. Texas
22. Missouri
23. Florida
24. Georgia
25. Mississippi St

http://collegefootba...asp?CID=1187907

#1404 A Happy Panda

A Happy Panda

not as happy as you think

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:41 PM

Silly Notre Dame, you're not supposed to be in ANY top 25!

#1405 tgk2044

tgk2044

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

Silly Notre Dame, you're not supposed to be in ANY top 25!

Apparently too many people listen to lou holshhhhh's prediction every year that ND will be in the national title game
Posted Image

#1406 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

Will be interesting to see how WVU does with the coaching mess.

Bill Stewart is coach for one more year, but the new OC Dana Holgorsen (who was brought in from outside) is head coach in waiting and will take over in 2012. And he fired all the offensive staff sans the WR coach he kept.

Hard to imagine that's not going to cause chemistry problems. But on the plus side, our offense sucked the past 3 years despite having a ton of talent as Jeff Mullen was a terrible OC. And we still have a lot of talent and speed on offense that should be well suited to run the kind of offense Holgorsen ran last year at Oklahoma State.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1407 Chitown021

Chitown021

CAG, I'm back babeeeeee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

Wow, the Irish at #15? I'm a huge fan but that's nuts even to me! Preseason polls are such bunk.
[URL="https://www.playfire.com/Chitown021"]Posted Image[/URL]PSN Gamercards

#1408 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:10 PM

Ohio State at #5? Sure, I could see it if the starting QB, RB, WR, and OG were not suspended the first five games. Granted, there will be guys who can step up in those positions (especially at running back) but, after five games it will take a few games for the team to gel properly.

Notre Dame is always on hyped up in this lists. However, this might not be all hype because the team is making strides plus they are returning a ton of players. I predict continued improvement but, not a BCS bowl.

Edited by evildeadjedi, 16 February 2011 - 11:20 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1409 A Happy Panda

A Happy Panda

not as happy as you think

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:29 AM

Ohio State at #5? Sure, I could see it if the starting QB, RB, WR, and OG were not suspended the first five games. Granted, there will be guys who can step up in those positions (especially at running back) but, after five games it will take a few games for the team to gel properly.

Notre Dame is always on hyped up in this lists. However, this might not be all hype because the team is making strides plus they are returning a ton of players. I predict continued improvement but, not a BCS bowl.

If you saw Ohio State's early season schedule, you'll see why they're ranked so highly. It's all powderpuffs for the first 5 games, except for 1 team (can't remember who) I wanna say it was Miami again.

#1410 tgk2044

tgk2044

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:19 AM

If you saw Ohio State's early season schedule, you'll see why they're ranked so highly. It's all powderpuffs for the first 5 games, except for 1 team (can't remember who) I wanna say it was Miami again.

Miami and Michigan State aren't "powderpuffs", granted it looked that way for MSU in their bowl game...
Posted Image