Photo
- - - - -

Official (2014-2015) College Football Thread Florida State#1

• Please log in to reply
2989 replies to this topic

#2251 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:21 AM

I didn't say they'd still be the top league, just a very strong basketball league. Which you agreed with by putting them third. Also don't forget Villanova. St Johns will likely do well with Lavin there. Memphis is coming in, as is Temple. And they'll get someone like Xavier to replace ND.

Still a strong league. But I'd agree with your league rankings.

Edited by dmaul1114, 13 September 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#2252 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:29 AM

That weakened it, but it still ended up stronger in conference RPI than the ACC some years. Mainly WVU carrying the league (3 BCS bowl wins post first ACC raid), but Louisville was a top 10 team for a couple years before Petrino bolted. Cincy had those back to back BCS years, including the one undefeated regular season as well.

But with WVU gone, and Pitt and Cuse as well (programs with a lot of history, despite being down recently) the league was finished as a legit BCS level football conference.

I am well aware of the numbers but once those 3 schools walked out the door no one took us seriously. Perception is everything and ESPN has been trashing the Big East for a long time. Being Cinderella is cool and all, but you never get to go to the "big bowl". WVU IMO is as good as any top teams in the country. I wish them all the best in the BIG12 and I think they'll surprise a lot of people.

Now with respect to BBall, what's left of the Big East is not that good. Outside of UConn, Lville, GTown and Nova the rest of the league leaves a lot to be desired. I guess Marquette is decent enough, they remind me of Pitt from the early 00's but that's about it.
Xecutioner
CML

#2253 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:42 AM

The ACC won't go after UCONN or anyone else until ND becomes a full football member as it would just make uneven divisions. Not to mention the addition of ND and the new $50 million exit fee makes the conference incredibly stable. There's no reason to throw a wrench into it until ND becomes a full member and they need another team to even the divisions.

Also, despite whatever homer b.s. Mike Golic and the other Irish faithful want to spread, that "Notre Dame will never give up its independence" crap won't stay true forever. They might want to fight it to the end but they're slowly giving in with the 5 game guaranteed scheduling arrangement. When the BCS contract ends and we get a better idea of how playoff teams are selected, I wouldn't be surprised if ND becomes a full member and joins ACC football.

Personally, the thing about this that irritates me is that ND gets dibs on ACC bowl slots if they are eligible yet they aren't a league team. I think that's unfair to the other schools considering - if I understand correctly - there are certain circumstances that ND could get a bowl over a team with a better record.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#2254 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

Yep. The thing was they had to be within 1 win of an ACC team to take the bowl slot, so they can indeed have a worse record and steal a slot.

They had a similar deal with the Big East. Sucked and screwed WVU out of the Gator Bowl a time or two in the past. So I'm very glad they went to the ACC and not the Big 12. The Big 12 doesn't need ND to get good bowls as they have plenty of big time teams already. The Big East needed them as they really only had Miami in the past (before VT and WVU rose) and especially after Miami and VT left. The ACC needs them to some degree as they've been weak in football, and a lot of there team's fans have been bad about not traveling to bowl games which has got them a lot of flack.

But it still sucks when a partial member can still bowl slots from teams with better records.

#2255 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

I'm kind of curious if there's any behind the scenes arrangement or understanding that prevents Notre Dame from having to play all of the less competitive football schools in the same year. For example, I can't imagine they would be too happy if their 5 game schedule for a year was: Duke, Wake Forrest, Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia. Certain 5 game combinations would definitely hurt their strength of schedule, especially when those teams are having years that are even worse than usual.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#2256 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

I'm kind of curious if there's any behind the scenes arrangement or understanding that prevents Notre Dame from having to play all of the less competitive football schools in the same year. For example, I can't imagine they would be too happy if their 5 game schedule for a year was: Duke, Wake Forrest, Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia. Certain 5 game combinations would definitely hurt their strength of schedule, especially when those teams are having years that are even worse than usual.

I'm not certain but I was under the impression that ND's bowl elegibility (even for BCS) was based on number of wins not quality of wins. So I don't think they'll have a problem with that schedule. Afterall, the last few years they have played Navy, Syracuse, Pitt, BC, WF, MD and Air Force. Not exactly what I would call a killer schedule.

Edited by kill3r7, 13 September 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#2257 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

A weak schedule would still hurt them in terms of at large BCS bids and selection into the 4 team playoff starting in 2014 since schedule strength is a factor the selection committee will consider.

#2258 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

ESPN is blowing this Tennessee/Florida game way out of proportion.

Tennessee is BACK!
Spoiler
And they're taking on FLORIDA.
Spoiler
The battle between these teams used to decide the SEC East race and one of these teams would be putting their hat into the National Championship race!
Spoiler

2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

#2259 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

It's just a boring early season week without any big games since Arkansas shit the bed last week and ruined the one anticipated game this week. So they have to find something to hype. :D

Stanford-USC is the only other match up of ranked teams, and with the east coast bias in sports coverage they aren't going to hype that one over the SEC matchup.

Oops, forgot about Mich St-ND until they just started talking about it on College Gameday. Surprised they haven't hyped that more.

Edited by dmaul1114, 15 September 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#2260 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

Ugh, LT is having an awful day and the defense looks like they're hungover. :bomb:
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

#2261 Viol8tor

Viol8tor

Go Lakers!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

Matt Barkley and the rest of the USC seniors are 0-3 against Stanford, so it will be a meaningful game for us to get a win today.

Fight On :wave:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#2262 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

52-0 Shutout on Wake. Next weekend I find out if we most likely are going to the National Championship. Bring on Clemson!

#2263 gbpackers94

gbpackers94

Julius, Ph.D.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

Louisville styling on UNC, up 36-7 at the half. Teddy Bridgewater already has 218 yards and 3 TDs.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2264 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:22 AM

Matt Barkley and the rest of the USC seniors are 0-3 against Stanford, so it will be a meaningful game for us to get a win today.

Fight On :wave:

0-4.

4th and 40 is about all that needs to be written about that last drive.

#2265 Viol8tor

Viol8tor

Go Lakers!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:25 AM

Well that was fun while it lasted. All they can do now is win the Pac-12, see what happens from there.

Barkley got man handled all game long, O line was disgusting. Cant believe the loss of Khaled Holmes was that drastic.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#2266 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:37 AM

WVU did what they needed to against James Madison, dominate early so they could rest people. And still got Geno Smith his Heisman stats with 411 yards and 5 TDs on 34-39 passing. Has 9 TDs and 9 incompletions through 2 games.

With USC's loss, and Barkley's struggles, WVU will move up a spot and Smith will be on top the Heisman watch lists.

#2267 JJSP

JJSP

Beyond economical repair.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:03 AM

Forgive me for not following much college football, but are the defenses honestly as atrocious as the scores would suggest? There's got to be some reason why teams can run up the score to 50+ points over and over that extends beyond "oh, they're just a good team".

#2268 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

Forgive me for not following much college football, but are the defenses honestly as atrocious as the scores would suggest? There's got to be some reason why teams can run up the score to 50+ points over and over that extends beyond "oh, they're just a good team".

That mostly happens the first couple weeks of the season when a lot of teams have scheduled cupcake opponents. Once conference games begin, competition is more prevalent.

#2269 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

I've been a regular CAG user for a while now and never noticed this thread. Nice to find a place here for college football fans, I can't believe I didn't notice it until now. As a born and bred Michigan fan transplanted to the heart of the SEC, I can't help but love the college game. I've always loved the community aspect of CAG and look forward to checking in during the season.

UL Monroe shows up in another exciting finish and that just-short-comeback by UNC was pretty crazy too. A couple of actual upsets today with USC and VT both going down. USC just didn't seem to have an answer for the Stanford ground game and defensive pressure. I didn't get to see any of the VT game but Pitt, what happened there?

Speaking of not having an answer, the Notre Dame vs MSU game sure wasn't much of a contest. I'm hoping/worried that next week my Wolverines will show their true level of potential. I'm glad we beat UMass by 50 and all but I was hoping that this might be the one game this season where Robinson wouldn't throw an INT...but a pick 6, c'mon!#-o
-Trying to think of something creative.-

#2270 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

As noted above, a lot of early season games are tune ups against smaller conference and lower division teams.

But also, the types of offense are very different than in the pro. Lots of teams run hurry up, spread offenses and through the ball a ton. So that leads to having a lot more plays per game, more yardage and points from throwing more etc.

That's particularly true of some Big 12 and Pac 12 teams. A lot of the Big 10 and SEC teams run more typical pro style offense, and you get more lower scoring, defense dominated games in those leagues once they start playing each other and not patsies. ACC is a mix of pro style offense teams and spread teams, but leans more toward the former I think.

In any case, the offense is one of many reasons I like college football more than the NFL. I don't like lower scoring, defense dominated football at all. I prefer shootouts.

#2271 Chitown021

Chitown021

Blackhawks headed to the finals!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

Wow, I was really impressed with the Irish defense. I know Michigan State's offense in not that great but I haven't seen the Irish have that great of a pass rush for years!

Glad to see Stanford beat USC. Love to see those a-holes get put in their place.
[URL="https://www.playfire.com/Chitown021"]Posted Image[/URL]PSN Gamercards

#2272 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

Yeah, I despise ND, but Brian Kelly is a great coach and has them moving in the right direction for sure.

#2273 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:50 AM

Some good games coming up this weekend.

• Mizzou and Michigan need to have good games against S.Carolina and Notre Dame if they want to stay on the current National radar.
  • How will the K-State/Oklahoma game shake out and how will USC respond after last week in their game against California.
  • I'm also interested in the FSU vs Clemson matchup.
Anyone else have other games of note this weekend?

#2274 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

Boise St-BYU tonight and Oregon-Arizona Saturday are the only two other semi-notable matchups.

WVU-Maryland is always a big game for me since I grew up a huge WVU fan and did my undergrad there, and did my grad school at UMD. But that shouldn't be much of game as UMD is pretty terrible. Still a bit more of a test for WVU's offense than the first two patsies though as they have a decent defense.

#2275 Chitown021

Chitown021

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, I despise ND, but Brian Kelly is a great coach and has them moving in the right direction for sure.

That's understandable, I know Notre Dame is basically the Yankees off college football. Either you love em' or you hate em'. This is the week we find out if Kansas State is a contender or pretender. Bill Snyder has done very well in the Big 12 but "big game" Bob Stoops has his number. If K-State can pressure Landry Jones they have a chance. That dude seems to pull a Cutler and completely fold when things start to go wrong.

#2276 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

Boise St-BYU tonight and Oregon-Arizona Saturday are the only two other semi-notable matchups...

I had forgotten that the BSU vs BYU game was this weekend, you're right that could get interesting. We'll see if Arizona can hold up under the relentess nature of Oregon, another one to keep an eye on.

That's understandable, I know Notre Dame is basically the Yankees off college football. Either you love em' or you hate em'. This is the week we find out if Kansas State is a contender or pretender. Bill Snyder has done very well in the Big 12 but "big game" Bob Stoops has his number. If K-State can pressure Landry Jones they have a chance. That dude seems to pull a Cutler and completely fold when things start to go wrong.

I am very worried about my Wolverines trying to withstand the defensive pressure of N.Dame if it's anything like what they brought to MSU last week. Like you, I feel that if K-St. can get some pressure on OK's QB they've got a shot.

#2277 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

Glad I decided to play games instead of watch the 7-6 snooze fest last night.

#2278 Chitown021

Chitown021

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

I am very worried about my Wolverines trying to withstand the defensive pressure of N.Dame if it's anything like what they brought to MSU last week. Like you, I feel that if K-St. can get some pressure on OK's QB they've got a shot.

We owe you guys for that miracle comeback win last year. That game was such an emotional rollercoaster. First we were dead, then we score late and it looked like we'd win, then Michigan rips our hearts out with a last second touchdown.

#2279 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:22 PM

Glad I decided to play games instead of watch the 7-6 snooze fest last night.

That was NOT a game for offense, who would have thought that Boise St. would win with only one touchdown...
A touchdown scored by a NOSE TACKLE!

We owe you guys for that miracle comeback win last year. That game was such an emotional rollercoaster. First we were dead, then we score late and it looked like we'd win, then Michigan rips our hearts out with a last second touchdown.

ND at UofM 2011 was INSANE, no question one of the most exciting games I've seen. Watching that 4th quarter was a heart attack waiting to happen (28 of 35 Michigan points!). I really thought that the Wolverines were going to try a field goal to force overtime but instead a TD with 2 seconds left, just IN-SANE! I really hope both teams play well tomorrow in a close contest. It would great for both school's programs and gain some national attention.

Edited by chuckie88, 21 September 2012 - 09:23 PM.
Added Boise comment

#2280 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

Need to watch the WVU game since I missed it for a music festival but DVR'd it. Looks like they didn't play all that well since they only beat UMD 31-21. At least Geno Smith got decent numbers to stay at the top of the Heisman watch lists most likely, with 338 yards and 3 TDs. Big game for Tavon Auston with 13 catches for 179 yards and the 3 TDs.

Looks like Oklahoma is overrated again. Big 12 title looks to be between KSU, Texas and WVU. WVU plays at Texas in 2 weeks, and gets KSU at home on Oct. 20th.