Photo
- - - - -

Official (2014-2015) College Football Thread Florida State#1

• Please log in to reply
2998 replies to this topic

#2341 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:05 AM

I don't see an 1 loss SEC team getting in over an unbeaten Oregon or Big 12 team. They'd definitely get in over those teams if those teams also had 1 loss.

But if they're unbeaten they'd be ahead of the SEC team in the human polls, and probably in the computer part of the BCS too as they'd all have pretty tough schedules. I mean 6 out of 10 Big 12 teams are ranked in the Coach's poll currently.

Just no way unbeaten major conference teams get left out in favor of 1 loss teams. With equal records the SEC champ definitely gets in most years (though Auburn did get left out in 2004). But the bias isn't such that they'd get in over unbeaten Pac 10/Big 12 champs.

I'm not saying I like it, but if a 1-loss Florida or South Carolina beats #1 Alabama (who remains undefeated at that point) in the SEC Championship game I guarantee you will hear all the talking heads go on an on about "the SEC gauntlet" and the poll voters will eat it all up.

Have you forgotten last year already? A 1-loss Big 12 team was snubbed in favor of a 1-loss SEC team, a 1-loss SEC team that already lost to the other team who was going to the national title game. Let's not pretend that an undefeated Pac-12 and Big-12 team will suddenly make the SEC favoritism, which they've earned, go away.

My guess is that the Pac-12 team would get the shaft, since beating USC twice doesn't look as impressive as it would have for Oregon and Oregon State just wouldn't get as much love in the polls.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#2342 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

I wouldn't bet on a one loss SEC East team being left out of the championship game just because Oregon and a Big 12 team are undefeated.

Not that I agree with it, but still.

That would require Oregon or a Big 12 team going undefeated. Oregon has to beat @USC, Stanford, and @Oregon State could play the spoiler. If they make that, they then most likely face USC again.

As for the Big 12...
- West Virginia will lose. Offense can only carry them so far. No defense will be their downfall.
- Kansas State. I am not sold on.

The rest of the undefeated teams...
- The SEC can only have 1.
- ND's road sees 3 more ranked teams. This week's matchup against Stanford should show how real ND is this season.
- Big East team. Too low ranked to move up. My guess Louisville should end undefeated.
- Louisana Tech. They are a midmajor. Forget about it.

So in all... My guess is an undefeated SEC team will be facing the best 1 loss team.

#2343 A Happy Panda

A Happy Panda

not as happy as you think

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

That would require Oregon or a Big 12 team going undefeated. Oregon has to beat @USC, Stanford, and @Oregon State could play the spoiler. If they make that, they then most likely face USC again.

As for the Big 12...
- West Virginia will lose. Offense can only carry them so far. No defense will be their downfall.
- Kansas State. I am not sold on.

The rest of the undefeated teams...
- The SEC can only have 1.
- ND's road sees 3 more ranked teams. This week's matchup against Stanford should show how real ND is this season.
- Big East team. Too low ranked to move up. My guess Louisville should end undefeated.
- Louisana Tech. They are a midmajor. Forget about it.

So in all... My guess is an undefeated SEC team will be facing the best 1 loss team.

As a very long Oregon fan, the only "threats" I see left on the schedule are USC and ASU. I'll be worried about OSU if they continue to surprise folks, but for now, I'm not sold.

ASU on the road on a Thursday is not something I welcome considering what happened in 2007. But if we can get by that, and if we get by it easily, I'll feel better about USC. I only really see ASU as a "threat" because of a particular terrible moment in '07, bad mojo.

But, my friends have been talking about it since before the season started and pretty much the consensus was that USC is/was our only threat in the Pac-12. Despite some of their inconsistent play, they still are still the only team we think can beat Oregon. USC could lose every game leading up to that showdown and I still wouldn't be surprised if we lost. USC WILL step up to play us in the Coliseum. I was there last year in person to watch Oregon completely blow the first half and come up with too little too late in the second half. I know it's not the same time, but it's still USC. No one wants to play them.

You also give Stanford way too much credit, they're not a real test for ND. Not to use transitive property too much, but Stanford BARELY beat AZ in a game they had no business winning, and got bounced by UW in Seattle. Oregon TROUNCED both teams.

#2344 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

Have you forgotten last year already? A 1-loss Big 12 team was snubbed in favor of a 1-loss SEC team, a 1-loss SEC team that already lost to the other team who was going to the national title game. Let's not pretend that an undefeated Pac-12 and Big-12 team will suddenly make the SEC favoritism, which they've earned, go away.

I already agreed that the SEC champ would 100% get over a Big 12/Pac 12 champ with an equal record.

But there's no way a 12-1 SEC champ gets in over a 13-0 Pac 12 champ or a 12-0 Big 12 champ.

That just won't happen. No major conference champ has ran the table and gotten snubbed by a 1 loss team in the history of the BCS. The pollsters aren't going to vote a 1 loss SEC team ahead of unbeaten Oregon or WVU/K-State, and they'd be behind in the computers as well due to the loss and strength of schedule being pretty comparable as the Big 12 and Pac 12 are both pretty strong this year.

As for what teams can run the table, it's still too early to know.

Alabama has the best shot. But they're not invincible.

WVU I agree is a bit of a long shot due to the lack of defense. My season prediction was 10-2--but that was factoring a loss at Texas. So I think 11-1 is a good bet now. 12-0 requires the defense to improve. Good news is the run defense is ok (Texas only got like 135 on the ground), and other than OK State and Oklahoma they're mostly done with pass heavy teams.

K-State I'm not totally sold on either. I don't know that they can outscore WVU. They're defense may slow us down some, but they're a run heavy team and our run defense is ok. I think they can beat everyone else in the Big 12 though since they've already beat OK State.

Oregon has a good chance of winning out since they have a decent defense to go with their offense for once. But still have a tough slate remaining.

ND I'm not sold on at all. They're overrated from beating some big name Big 10 teams who frankly just aren't very good this year. Stanford, USC and Oklahoma will give us a better sense of how good they are. I think they probably drop 2 out of 3 of those.

Big East is irrelevant, but I don't think anyone wins out. I think Cincy, Rutgers, Louisville will beat each other up and they'll all have at least one loss.

#2345 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

But there's no way a 12-1 SEC champ gets in over a 13-0 Pac 12 champ or a 12-0 Big 12 champ.

That just won't happen. No major conference champ has ran the table and gotten snubbed by a 1 loss team in the history of the BCS. The pollsters aren't going to vote a 1 loss SEC team ahead of unbeaten Oregon or WVU/K-State, and they'd be behind in the computers as well due to the loss and strength of schedule being pretty comparable as the Big 12 and Pac 12 are both pretty strong this year.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that things should be as you wrote, but I'm not confident that it's anywhere near as definite at that.

If poll voters are trying to pick a #2 team at the end of conference championship week and they're looking at 12-1 Florida who just beat a previously 12-0 #1 Alabama in the SEC Championship Game against 13-0 Oregon who just beat a 10-3 USC that wasn't as good as everyone thought for the second time, I don't think it's really as clear as you and I both would like it to be. Especially if Oregon didn't absolutely destroy USC in both meetings and if USC doesn't win all of their other games with serious style points.

Lots of those poll voters do not watch all the games, but I guarantee you that they will watch HOURS of Kirk Herbstreit and his ESPN buddies going on and on about how the SEC is the most dominant conference and how winning the SEC championship should basically be a push button ticket to the national title game.

I can only hope it would be 12-0 Big 12 champ versus 13-0 Pac-12 champ if the SEC champion is 12-1, but I definitely wouldn't bet good money on it given what we've seen over the last few years.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#2346 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

...there's no way a 12-1 SEC champ gets in over a 13-0 Pac 12 champ or a 12-0 Big 12 champ...

I agree wholeheartedly.

...As for what teams can run the table, it's still too early to know...

One team you forgot to mention that actually has a real shot at finishing without a loss is Ohio. The Bobcats hail from the lowly MAC so I don't expect crazy amounts of BCS love but with the hardest part of their schedule behind them and a potential conference title game, they have a real chance of getting to 13-0.
-Trying to think of something creative.-

#2347 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

Again, just no way a 1 loss team gets in over major conference unbeaten teams. Just no way pollsters vote them up, and definitely no way they're higher in the computer rankings.

I didn't forget Ohio, just didn't bother mentioning them since they're a MAC team. Hell, I wouldn't have mentioned the Big East teams if not for WVU having been stuck in there for a long time. :D

#2348 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

K State took care of Iowa State. Hope WVU does same with Texas Tech up next and sets up the huge game next week.

#2349 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

OU crushing Texas isn't doing much for West Virginia.

#2350 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

Does make that win look less impressive. But no biggie if we keep winning. Will just make OU's trip to Morgantown in November even bigger if they're rolling and only have the 1 loss still at that point.

#2351 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

Yeah, the Sooners are giving the Longhorns a Red River Railing!

#2352 A Happy Panda

A Happy Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

Don't get me wrong, I agree that things should be as you wrote, but I'm not confident that it's anywhere near as definite at that.

If poll voters are trying to pick a #2 team at the end of conference championship week and they're looking at 12-1 Florida who just beat a previously 12-0 #1 Alabama in the SEC Championship Game against 13-0 Oregon who just beat a 10-3 USC that wasn't as good as everyone thought for the second time, I don't think it's really as clear as you and I both would like it to be. Especially if Oregon didn't absolutely destroy USC in both meetings and if USC doesn't win all of their other games with serious style points.

Lots of those poll voters do not watch all the games, but I guarantee you that they will watch HOURS of Kirk Herbstreit and his ESPN buddies going on and on about how the SEC is the most dominant conference and how winning the SEC championship should basically be a push button ticket to the national title game.

I can only hope it would be 12-0 Big 12 champ versus 13-0 Pac-12 champ if the SEC champion is 12-1, but I definitely wouldn't bet good money on it given what we've seen over the last few years.

Herbstreit is a big proponent of the Pac-12 and Oregon. He's given us more love than any other analyst the past couple of years. Also to be honest, the past 6 years, it is a push button ticket to the title game if you do win the SEC. I hate the attitude the SEC fans have, but they have history on their side.

#2353 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

WVU is sucking. Defense struggling, offense not clicking as well as usual, terrible decision to go for it in fourth down on the 18 instead of kicking the field goal etc.

#2354 Chitown021

Chitown021

CAG, I'm back babeeeeee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

Notre Dame is trailing for the first time all season. We'll see how they respond. They've had a couple turnovers now (fumble in the endzone to give Stanford the lead). Shades of 2011. I hope they don't go into the tank because of it.

EDIT: D'oh! Botched snap on the FG attempt after a nice drive....
[URL="https://www.playfire.com/Chitown021"]Posted Image[/URL]PSN Gamercards

#2355 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

Just an awful, embarrassing performance. WVU will lose at least two or three more. No defense and now teams have game film on how to slow the offense.

#2356 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

Notre Dame just escaped with one. Looked like the ball was clearly touching the plane and even if not it was fumbled and recovered in the end zone by a Stanford player.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

#2357 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

Notre Dame just escaped with one. Looked like the ball was clearly touching the plane and even if not it was fumbled and recovered in the end zone by a Stanford player.

Make up for the "Bush push" many moons ago?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2358 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

Make up for the "Bush push" many moons ago?

I was thinking that too, that call could have easily given ND a loss today.
I suppose it's better for my Wolverines (BCS wise) that they won though.

Wow, last week's game between WV and Texas looked a lot better before both of them got absolutely pasted today. KState won again though so the Big 12 still has a team that will be in the AP top 5.

#2359 Chitown021

Chitown021

CAG, I'm back babeeeeee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:08 AM

Wow what a nutty day in college football. I know there have been some things said about Texas Tech being a much improved defense this year but I never expected them to hold West Virginia to 14 pts! I also didn't expect Texas to get totally romped in the Red River Shootout. Oklahoma seems to be playing pissed off since they lost to Kansas State. Not a good thing since Notre Dame has to play them in a couple weeks.

Also speaking of Notre Dame I think we did get a gift today and yes, that makes up for the "Bush Push" non-call :). I was shocked they didn't overturn it after the replay. The only thing I could think of was that they blew the play dead before the RB twisted around and broke the play although if that were the case then they couldn't review the play.

To me that seemed to be what happened . Notre Dame got the initial push, had him stopped, the ref came running in signaling no TD, the Irish went nuts, and then the back laid across the goal line.

I though Kelly was a puss for not going for the TD in regulation. They had time, just tell the QB to take a quick look and if nothing is there launch it into the stands out the back of the endzone. I really thought Stanford had the momentum and would beat us if the game went into OT.

#2360 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:47 AM

Well LSU just beat S.Carolina.

I'd project top 5 to be:
  • Alabama
  • Oregon
  • Florida
  • K.State
  • N.Dame

#2361 Chitown021

Chitown021

CAG, I'm back babeeeeee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

Well LSU just beat S.Carolina.

I'd project top 5 to be:

• Alabama
  • Oregon
  • Florida
  • K.State
  • N.Dame

I agree except I think Notre Dame should jump Kansas State based on the quality of the win. They both won but Notre Dame had the more challenging opponent. Next week, assuming they both won, they should switch back because WVU is/will be ranked but BYU isn't/won't be.

#2362 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:00 AM

ND did have a more challenging opponent but they also won in overtime on what most would consider a controversial decision by the replay official. I agree that K.State would deserve to be above them if they both win next week. My thoughts are that K.State stays ahead right now, especially because they play W.Virginia next week. If they lose, they drop. If they win, their position is made valid. If Florida takes out S.Carolina next week, they will be firmly in third.

#2363 A Happy Panda

A Happy Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:24 AM

ND did have a more challenging opponent but they also won in overtime on what most would consider a wrong decision by the replay official. I agree that K.State would deserve to be above them if they both win next week. My thoughts are that K.State stays ahead right now, especially because they play W.Virginia next week. If they lose, they drop. If they win, their position is made valid. If Florida takes out S.Carolina next week, they will be firmly in third.

Fixed it for you.

Seriously, Stanford got screwed.

#2364 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:29 AM

I agree that was a touchdown, but Stanford still had to score again, which wasn't a guarantee to happen.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#2365 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:37 AM

Fixed it for you.

Seriously, Stanford got screwed.

LOL...that edit does make it more plain doesn't it?;)

#2366 A Happy Panda

A Happy Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

I agree that was a touchdown, but Stanford still had to score again, which wasn't a guarantee to happen.

Right, but they were wrongly denied the chance to win the game.

Pac-12 officiating continues to be laughably bad. I speak as a long, long time fan of Oregon and proponent of the Pac-12 (generally)

#2367 Chitown021

Chitown021

CAG, I'm back babeeeeee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

Right, but they were wrongly denied the chance to win the game.

Pac-12 officiating continues to be laughably bad. I speak as a long, long time fan of Oregon and proponent of the Pac-12 (generally)

Did Stanford get screwed on the call? Yes. Sometimes that's what happens when a game is that close on the end. Yeah it's unfortunate but at the same time they should not have let the game go to overtime. They should have scored more points in regulation and won it there. Don't miss the chip shot FG in the first quarter. Or they should have stopped ND from scoring a TD on their OT possession. They has us backed up and in a third and long before Rees converted the 1st down. Stop us there and we're kicking a long FG with a so/so kicker. Don't clobber Goldson to get a roughing penalty and extend our drive. Or maybe you try something besides four straight running plays right up the middle. The point is they had MANY opportunities to change the outcome of this game but didn't. Saying Stanford was screwed out of a chance to win the game is simply not true.

I said the same thing about the "Bush Push" game a few years back. At first I was pissed because we got screwed but then again it was our own fault that it came down to a controversial goal line play. A few plays before that we had USC in a 4th and 10 but then we let Leinert get a long pass completion down the sideline to keep the game going. Notre Dame stops them there and there's no such thing as the "Bush Push" play.

Edited by Chitown021, 14 October 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#2368 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

AP Top 25 has been published:
(undefeated teams in italics)
  • Alabama 6-0
  • Oregon 6-0
  • Florida 6-0
  • K.State 6-0
  • N.Dame 6-0
  • LSU 6-1
  • Ohio St. 7-0
  • Oregon St. 6-0
  • S. Carolina 6-1
  • Oklahoma 4-1
  • USC 5-1
  • Florida St. 6-1
  • Georgia 5-1
  • Clemson 5-1
  • Miss. St. 6-0
  • Louisville 6-0
  • W. Viginia 5-1
  • Texas Tech 5-1
  • Rutgers 6-0
  • Texas A&M 5-1
  • Cincinnati 5-0
  • Stanford 4-2
  • Michigan 4-2
  • Boise St. 5-1
  • Ohio 7-0

Edited by chuckie88, 14 October 2012 - 08:50 PM.
Added undefeated italics

#2369 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

BS that Texas Tech is behind WVU. Even worse in the coaches poll where WVU is 15 and TT 20

#2370 A Happy Panda

A Happy Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:39 PM

Saying Stanford was screwed out of a chance to win the game is simply not true.

That's actually an insane thing to say. Did the refs blow the call? Yes, you even say it yourself. Was Stanford then wrongly denied the chance to win the game? Yes. Every team in every game has a million chances to win or close out a game, but those points in time are moot. This one particular call on this one particular play cost Stanford the chance to win the game.