Official (2014-2015) College Football Thread Florida State#1

• Please log in to reply
2992 replies to this topic

#2521 Chitown021

Chitown021

CAG, I'm back babeeeeee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:07 AM

I still think Oregon is getting way too much credit for not playing anyone to this point in the human polls. I mean yeah, they beat USC, but they still gave up 50+ pts. Had USC not gotten behind by a couple scores right off the bat they probably would have kept up with a team that could not get a stop. It was a repeat of WVU - Baylor. As much as I am a Notre Dame fan they deserve to drop with the squeaker against Pittsburgh and their schedule looking weaker by the moment.

Unless a couple teams ahead of us lose we won't get the chance to play for the title but if we end up in a BCS bowl that's cool with me. Coming into the season I was just looking for progress. I thought 8-4 would have been a huge success so having the chance to go undefeated is just gravy!
[URL="https://www.playfire.com/Chitown021"]Posted Image[/URL]PSN Gamercards

#2522 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:31 AM

It's me :D Join us next year...

...South Carolina with 2 losses and without their 60% offense/runningback is the BCS's #8 team. It is just laughable. 4 spots different from their AP counterpart. I can't remember a year where the BCS poll was this far off from the AP on a consistent basis.

As for my team, the computer rankings only see how bad the other ACC teams (not named Clemson) are and they penalize both of us, even though we win by good margins. At least both of us get statement games against SEC "top" opponents at the end of the season.

Hopefully, I will be joining the pick 'em next year. I knew nothing about it this season, in fact until this year I didn't realize CAG had any sports related threads.

I think that a large part of why the BCS rankings are so different from the AP rankings is the lack of Ohio St./Penn St. from the BCS equation. The Buckeyes are 10-0 and ranked fifth in the AP and while Penn St. isn't ranked they're probably still garnering a few votes from the AP voters. The fact that OSU and their record isn't even being considered in the BCS is part of the reason it's different, the other part is that there's still a month to go in the season. The BCS computer portion adjusts its formulas as it goes along, consequently it becomes more like it is intended to be with more data at the season's end.

I'm guessing by your comments that your team is Florida St. If so, then yes they are getting railed by the computer portion. It didn't help that they were idle last week but the computers just can't get over that loss to NC St. If the Seminoles had won that one I'd guess that they would be ranked ahead of N.Dame and maybe even Oregon right now. They still have a good shot at a BCS bowl though. As I've said before, more wins ALWAYS help in the BCS rankings. Because of that the conference title game can only help them, assuming they play in and win it of course. A victory over Florida will also give them a nice push with the computers also.

I still think Oregon is getting way too much credit for not playing anyone to this point in the human polls. I mean yeah, they beat USC, but they still gave up 50+ pts. Had USC not gotten behind by a couple scores right off the bat they probably would have kept up with a team that could not get a stop...

Unless a couple teams ahead of us lose we won't get the chance to play for the title but if we end up in a BCS bowl that's cool with me. Coming into the season I was just looking for progress. I thought 8-4 would have been a huge success so having the chance to go undefeated is just gravy!

Oregon certainly does play a different brand of football. They have an unbelievable offense but sometimes play as if they expect the opposing team to score at least three or more touchdowns. Almost as if the mentality is "sure, you'll score but we'll score more".

While I don't think it will be the title game unless two of the teams above them lose a game, I think Notre Dame has an excellent chance to play in a BCS bowl. Even if they finish with one loss to USC, they'll still get selected for a BCS bowl game. If they lose to anyone else however it will be up in the air.

For the BCS bowls (including title game), I'd bank on 2 SEC, 1 Big 12, 1 Pac 12, 1 ACC, 1 Big 10, 1 Big East, and Notre Dame. That leaves two more spots which I think will go to second teams from the Big 12, Pac 12, or ACC. If FSU and Clemson finish with only one loss, they could both go. Oklahoma could get in as well as the Pac 12 title game loser. I don't think there's any chance of the Big 10 and Big East getting a second team in at all.
-Trying to think of something creative.-

#2523 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

ND will almost definitely be in a BCS bowl. Even if they lose to USC, an 11-1 ND team will got as an BCS at large. Especially since there aren't any mid majors like Boise with a shot at a BCS game this year.

But yeah, no way they jump K-State or Oregon if they both win out. Pollsters aren't going to jump them over them just because they're ND. They know that would look bad. People who think that will happen are just as stupid as people who though the pollsters would jump Oklahoma State over LSU to avoid a rematch in the title game. You almost never see change among the top five in the human polls after the halfway point or so of the season other than when a team loses. It looks fishy to change order late in the game if all the teams keep when you've been voting the teams in a certain order several weeks in a row.

#2524 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

Ugh, a blowout would have been easier to watch than that.

On a brighter note, after tonight, I'm pretty sure the big money boosters are ready to start playing hardball about the coaching staff.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#2525 A Happy Panda

A Happy Panda

not as happy as you think

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

ND will almost definitely be in a BCS bowl. Even if they lose to USC, an 11-1 ND team will got as an BCS at large. Especially since there aren't any mid majors like Boise with a shot at a BCS game this year.

But yeah, no way they jump K-State or Oregon if they both win out. Pollsters aren't going to jump them over them just because they're ND. They know that would look bad. People who think that will happen are just as stupid as people who though the pollsters would jump Oklahoma State over LSU to avoid a rematch in the title game. You almost never see change among the top five in the human polls after the halfway point or so of the season other than when a team loses. It looks fishy to change order late in the game if all the teams keep when you've been voting the teams in a certain order several weeks in a row.

Notre Dame just has to place in the top 8 of the BCS and they get an automatic BCS berth.

#2526 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

Ugh, a blowout would have been easier to watch than that.

On a brighter note, after tonight, I'm pretty sure the big money boosters are ready to start playing hardball about the coaching staff.

Your defense really showed up and made it a good game.

#2527 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

Today's notable games.

#1 Alabama vs. #15 Texas A&M
#2 K State @ TCU
#3 Oregon @ Cal
#4 Notre Dame at BC
#7 LSU @ #21 Miss State
#11 Oregon State @ #14 Stanford

Fairly bland set of games with only 3 matches between BCS top 25 teams. Bama vs. A&M could be interesting since LSU showed their defense is far from invincible. But since it's in Tuscaloosa probably not much chance of an upset. Don't see any of the other in the top 4 even having close games.

#2528 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

I know it's extremely early, but A&M is giving Alabama way more than they can handle right now.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#2529 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

A lot of unexpected games so far. Louisville is crushed by the Orange, TTU beats 1-9 KU in overtime, and Florida beats U-LaLa on a blocked punt returned for a TD in the closing seconds of the 4th. Crazy day.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#2530 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

It looks like Alabama is about to go down unless they can pull of a small miracle with 8 minutes and change left.

#2531 Superstar

Superstar

CAG Superstar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:50 PM

lol @WVU

#2532 RealDeals

RealDeals

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

Bang bang the witch is dead! Bye bye bama!
http://t3.gstatic.co...4wtuy3FpqqoZSRA

Originally Posted by the4thnobleman Posted Image
I need power to come back on! I still need to spend $10 or so to get my $20. Stupid hurricane Sandy Vagina!

Posted Image

#2533 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

A Saban coached team loses on a penalty. He might kill a couple players in practice this week.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

#2534 RealDeals

RealDeals

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

THAT much closer to an Notre Dame NCG. Guy can hope...
http://t3.gstatic.co...4wtuy3FpqqoZSRA

Originally Posted by the4thnobleman Posted Image
I need power to come back on! I still need to spend $10 or so to get my $20. Stupid hurricane Sandy Vagina!

Posted Image

#2535 A Happy Panda

A Happy Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

GASP, the title of this thread will no longer read "Alabama #1"

#2536 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

Sad part is Alanama will probably still make the bcs title game. Which is why college football is such a joke.

#2537 A Happy Panda

A Happy Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:11 AM

Sad part is Alanama will probably still make the bcs title game. Which is why college football is such a joke.

Not without help from ND and KSU, even then they still have to win the SEC.

#2538 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

lol @WVU

:-( we suck!

#2539 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Yeah, WVU is awful.

When the defense is not sucking (which isn't often) they're giving up kickoff returns for touchdowns, and fucking up punts for TDs (bad snap ran back for TD last week, muffed punt set OK State inside the then yesterday).

Glad to see Bama go down. And yes, they aren't getting into the title game unless at least two of the unbeatens (KSU, ND, Oregon) lose. No way any one loss teams jump any of those.

KSU and Oregon will play for the title unless one or both of them loses. ND is next in line. If two (or all three) of those lose, then it will be a crap shoot sorting out one loss teams.

#2540 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Oregan? Where is that? ;)

#2541 Chitown021

Chitown021

CAG, I'm back babeeeeee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Thanks you Johnny Football for pulling off the upset of the year! :)

At least ONE former Big 12 team showed they can play in the SEC (Mizzou, where U at?)
[URL="https://www.playfire.com/Chitown021"]Posted Image[/URL]PSN Gamercards

#2542 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

http://espn.go.com/c...ge-football/bcs

New BCS are out, here are the key stats for the top 5.

1. Kansas State: .9674; Harris- 2; Coach's-2; Computer Avg-2
2. Oregon: .9497; Harris- 1; Coach's-1; Computer Avg-4
3. Notre Dame: .9396; Harris- 3; Coach's-3; Computer Avg-1
4. Alabama: .8534 ; Harris- 4; Coach's-5; Computer Avg-5
5. Georgia: .8328; Harris- 4: Coach's-4: Computer Avg- 6

K State is in great shape if they win out as they're almost .02 up on Oregon despite being #2 in the human polls. And they have Baylor and Texas left, so no crappy team to pull down their computer numbers.

Oregon and ND are close, but being #1 in both human polls should keep them in the title game if they win out, and they have more games and tougher games left as well so they at the least shouldn't lose anything in computer rankings where as Wake may pull ND's down a tad.

And we see from Bama and UGA's score that the earlier worries some had that a 1 loss SEC team could get in over an unbeaten Oregon or K State or ND were unfounded. Too much penalty in the equation for a loss for that to happen.

Edited by dmaul1114, 12 November 2012 - 03:35 AM.

#2543 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

So let me get this...
FSU pulls out a win away against VT AWAY and drops 2 spots in the AP. UF needed a block punt for a touchdown to escape ULL at HOME and stays at #7. Yeah I got it. :roll:

BCS... SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! I thought you guys said there was no bias. 6 teams in the top 10 (with 3 of them having 2 losses; see one of the 1 loss teams above).

#2544 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

Oh Alabama, why do you play with my heart like this?

At this point, (and it kills me to say this) I almost want to see ND sneak into the championship game just for history's sake.

I think that the current big three undefeateds will all stay that way through the end but I think Oregon might have the biggest test left against Oregon State. We'll see.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#2545 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:28 AM

Opus, I think Florida should have dropped too but it won't matter in the long run since FSU plays Florida and can work it out.

Oh Alabama, why do you play with my heart like this?

Two national titles in the last three years. I can see how that would wear on a person.

Edited by blindinglights, 12 November 2012 - 04:57 PM.

2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

#2546 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:35 AM

I wanted a third, so sue me.

I would've been more okay with a loss to Florida or LSU. Against Texas A&M?! Preposterous.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#2547 A Happy Panda

A Happy Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

I wanted a third, so sue me.

I would've been more okay with a loss to Florida or LSU. Against Texas A&M?! Preposterous.

Dat spread...

#2548 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

So let me get this...
FSU pulls out a win away against VT AWAY and drops 2 spots in the AP. UF needed a block punt for a touchdown to escape ULL at HOME and stays at #7. Yeah I got it. :roll:

BCS... SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! I thought you guys said there was no bias. 6 teams in the top 10 (with 3 of them having 2 losses; see one of the 1 loss teams above).

Regarding BCS bias, I have always stated the opposite.

Human polls (as varied as they can be) still count for two thirds of the BCS rankings...Human beings also create and implement the various computer formulas...With regards to if it is a biased system, of course it is. Any ranking system based on human opinions will be, despite all efforts...

Regarding FSU and Florida. As much as you hate that the computers are hating on the Seminoles while showing love to the Gators, it's better for you than if they were hating on both teams. It benefits Florida St. for Florida to be ranked as high as possible when they play. I still think it's possible for FSU and Clemson to end up in a BCS bowl if both finish with only one loss. In the eyes of the computers, a win over Florida will count for as much (if not more) than an ACC title.

Somewhat unrelated but I wondered, do you guys have a college basketball thread going here on CAG as well? I've come to like having a bit of college sports mixed in with my gaming threads.
-Trying to think of something creative.-

#2549 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Someone change the damn thread title. Oregon.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#2550 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Posted Image