Official (2014-2015) College Football Thread Florida State#1

• Please log in to reply
2998 replies to this topic

#2641 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

What a joke. Michigan loses and doesn't drop, Oregon State gets blown out and doesn't drop, UCLA gets blown out and goes up a spot! The Powers-That-Be are doing everything they can to keep the non-AQ schools out of the BCS picture.

It is strange isn't it? I know Michigan has lost against quality teams and all (45-3 combined record) but I really didn't expect them to remain where they were, the computers kept them there as the human polls placed the Wolverines at 23 and 24. It appears the opposite was true with the two teams out West. The human polls placed Oregon St. at 15 and 17 and both have UCLA at 16.

If I get over other two remaining where they were before, I still have trouble understanding how the Bruins move UP after a loss. UCLA is right in front of Kent St. though so if they lose and Kent St. wins, the MAC should have their first BCS team. I think that's the only way a non-AQ school gets in this year. Boise St. still has to play a decent Nevada team but that probably won't be enough to get there and neither will a N. Illinois victory over Kent St.

Many of the teams that still have a game left to play are too far ahead of the Golden Flashes to help them by losing (Alabama, Georgia, Kansas St., Stanford, Oklahoma, and maybe Nebraska). A Florida St. loss would probably help the cause but that isn't likely to come against a 6-6 Georgia Tech team. What could really screw Kent St. is a Texas victory that moves the Longhorns in front of the Golden Flashes. Kent St. needs to win and for Stanford to beat UCLA, a Longhorn loss would be nice insurance too.
-Trying to think of something creative.-

#2642 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

The problem with the two Non-AQ schools this year is that they're living up to the stereotype held by their doubters that they play absolute crap competition and come up short against better talent.

Kent State has a good win over Rutgers, but they also got blown out by Kentucky. The same Kentucky that is 2-10 and only has one other victory over FCS school Samford (who has a 2-9 record). It really hurts the perception of the team when your one loss is an old fashioned beat down at the hands of the second-worst team in one of the premier football conferences.

Northern Illinois' loss isn't nearly as bad, a one point loss to Iowa in the very first game of the season. However, that Iowa team is now 4-8 and turned out to not be very good.

I'm not saying I agree with the way all this works, but I can see why they're getting the short end of the stick here.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#2643 munch

munch

la tĂȘte de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

The problem with the two Non-AQ schools this year is that they're living up to the stereotype held by their doubters that they play absolute crap competition and come up short against better talent.

Kent State has a good win over Rutgers, but they also got blown out by Kentucky. The same Kentucky that is 2-10 and only has one other victory over FCS school Samford (who has a 2-9 record). It really hurts the perception of the team when your one loss is an old fashioned beat down at the hands of the second-worst team in one of the premier football conferences.

Northern Illinois' loss isn't nearly as bad, a one point loss to Iowa in the very first game of the season. However, that Iowa team is now 4-8 and turned out to not be very good.

I'm not saying I agree with the way all this works, but I can see why they're getting the short end of the stick here.

I know this isn't your main point, but Kentucky was the worst in the SEC and it isn't close.

#2644 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Yeah that Kentucky loss is really killing Kent St. Without their win over Rutgers, I doubt they'd even be in this conversation. The first step is in their hands however if they can't beat N.Illinois, the placement of the other teams doesn't matter. If they do manage to make it in, they will be a HUGE underdog. Especially against a team like Florida.

#2645 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

I know this isn't your main point, but Kentucky was the worst in the SEC and it isn't close.

Kentucky and Auburn have close records, 2-10 versus 3-9. There's not much to compare them on, but:

Auburn's best win: 31-28 OT W over 8-4 Louisiana-Monroe

Kentucky's best win: 47-14 W over 11-1 Kent State

Seems pretty close to me.

Are you an Auburn fan?
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#2646 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Yeah I kind of hope Kent state loses. They'd get curb stomped in a BCS bowl so it just makes for an unwatchable game. They're not Utah, Boise or TCU of recent years who beat good teams and were legit BCS Bowl caliber teams.

#2647 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

Yeah I kind of hope Kent state loses. They'd get curb stomped in a BCS bowl so it just makes for an unwatchable game. They're not Utah, Boise or TCU of recent years who beat good teams and were legit BCS Bowl caliber teams.

Kent State is better than people give them credit for. In all likelihood they'll end up playing the winner of FSU/GTech, assuming they end up ranked in the Top 16. Having seen Kent State play in person, I can assure you their team speed is on par with top level BCS teams but their DLine is very small. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave FSU a game and they might very well beat GTech (again not saying much).
Xecutioner
CML

#2648 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

Maybe, but the record suggest otherwise. Curb stomped by an awful Kentucky team, beating an overrated Rutgers team (only ranked because the Big Least is awful) being the only remotely decent win.

Would rather them get left out and just have the crappy Big Least champ against the ACC winner in the Orange Bowl that no one cares about anyway. Kent getting in shifts the crappy Big Least champ somewhere else and ruins another BCS bowl.

Which is a shame as there are a pretty large number of solid 1 and 2 loss teams from major conferences this year so there could be some really good matchups otherwise.

#2649 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

Maybe, but the record suggest otherwise. Curb stomped by an awful Kentucky team, beating an overrated Rutgers team (only ranked because the Big Least is awful) being the only remotely decent win.

Would rather them get left out and just have the crappy Big Least champ against the ACC winner in the Orange Bowl that no one cares about anyway. Kent getting in shifts the crappy Big Least champ somewhere else and ruins another BCS bowl.

Which is a shame as there are a pretty large number of solid 1 and 2 loss teams from major conferences this year so there could be some really good matchups otherwise.

An interesting take on things, especially coming from a WVU fan. The "Big Least" has done quite well in BCS bowl games especially when compared to the ACC, but to each his own. IMO Kent State would give FSU or GTech a good game. As a Rutgers fan I would prefer for RU to play FSU in the Orange Bowl rather than facing an SEC team in the Sugar Bowl. Miami or NOLA is good either way as long as RU wins on Thursday.
Xecutioner
CML

#2650 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

WVU did well in BCS bowl games. Only other Big East team to win post 2004 when Miami, BC and VT bolted was Louiville in 2006 over a mediocre Wake Forest team. Otherwise the Big East champs have gotten embarrassed in BCS bowls.

Conference was a joke, and I'm happy as hell to be out of it. More fun watching us go 7-5 (assuming we don't choke against Kansas) than the Big 12 than the 10-2, 9-3 seasons we were having in the Big East with maybe only one big out of conference game to really look forward to each year. Hard to get excited about playing someone like Rutgers who we beat 17 straight times through last year. With the Big Least schedule no wins were big and all losses blew as they were upsets to teams we should beat everytime. I can get a lot more excited playing teams like Texas, Oklahoma, K-State etc. even if it means we're going to take more losses (which it does).

But yes, the ACC was even worse over that span. That's why I like the Orange Bowl just being the Big Least champ vs. the ACC champ. Get the two champs from leagues no one cares about in one game, and let the other BCS match ups be big time teams from the real power conferences.

Kent State would probably beat GT as they're terrible. But I don't see them beating FSU and FSU would steam roll Kent State.

#2651 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

WVU did well in BCS bowl games. Only other Big East team to win post 2004 when Miami, BC and VT bolted was Louiville in 2006 over a mediocre Wake Forest team. Otherwise the Big East champs have gotten embarrassed in BCS bowls.

Conference was a joke, and I'm happy as hell to be out of it. More fun watching us go 7-5 (assuming we don't choke against Kansas) than the Big 12 than the 10-2, 9-3 seasons we were having in the Big East with maybe only one big out of conference game to really look forward to each year. Hard to get excited about playing someone like Rutgers who we beat 17 straight times through last year. With the Big Least schedule no wins were big and all losses blew as they were upsets to teams we should beat everytime. I can get a lot more excited playing teams like Texas, Oklahoma, K-State etc. even if it means we're going to take more losses (which it does).

But yes, the ACC was even worse over that span. That's why I like the Orange Bowl just being the Big Least champ vs. the ACC champ. Get the two champs from leagues no one cares about in one game, and let the other BCS match ups be big time teams from the real power conferences.

Kent State would probably beat GT as they're terrible. But I don't see them beating FSU and FSU would steam roll Kent State.

If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe an ACC team, besides VTech, has won a BCS bowl game since 2000. So yeah the ACC has been God awful. I would like to see Kent State get in there and steal an at large bid from Oklahoma. I like rooting for the smaller conference teams. Plus, how do you know that Kent State is not the next TCU, Utah or Boise State?
Xecutioner
CML

#2652 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

They could be the next TCU etc. But to be so they need to schedule and beat real teams in the regular season. That's how those teams earned their BCS bids.

It's moot anyway. The BCS is gone after next year. Mid-majors will never make the 4-team playoff, and not one will give a crap about the "access bowls" as they're calling them now after the playoff starts other than fans of the teams playing in them anyway.

#2653 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

I'm good with the idea of Kent St. making it into a BCS bowl, even if they do get their clock cleaned. I'm glad there are a lot of good teams from the big conferences that will be playing in the non-BCS bowls as it will make some of those games more appealing to me as a fan. Back in the day the bowls were all about matching up teams that rarely, if ever competed against each other. I'm not saying I like the idea of tons of bowl games just for the sake of getting a bunch of 6-6 teams to play in the postseason but I also don't like how a huge amount of the bowl game focus is solely on the BCS bowls. In a perfect world there would remain a middle ground so I like the fact that there could be some really good games between quality teams in some of the non-BCS bowls. If Kent St. getting in helps make that happen then I'm all for it.

#2654 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

They could be the next TCU etc. But to be so they need to schedule and beat real teams in the regular season. That's how those teams earned their BCS bids.

It's moot anyway. The BCS is gone after next year. Mid-majors will never make the 4-team playoff, and not one will give a crap about the "access bowls" as they're calling them now after the playoff starts other than fans of the teams playing in them anyway.

Totally agree. I think the new system will be worse than the BCS for mid major teams. Heck, I'm sure at least 2 of the seats each year will be filled by SEC teams, since half the country thinks they are the only ones who play "real" football. There is no perfect system but baby steps.

On a slight tangent, if the 4 super-conferences ever come into existence, they (the powers that be) can implement a real playoff system. The top fourteen teams from the 4 super conferences and two at large bids, can compete in a sixteen team playoff to determine the best team in the country.
Xecutioner
CML

#2655 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

There is no perfect system but baby steps.

I believe that the 16 team model that I posted about before would be as close as we could get. All 11 FBS conference champions plus five at-large bids for the top 5 non-conference champions. Every single team from every conference gets a chance and it's a whopping 4 extra games for any given team (assuming they get to the championship game).

I'm starting to think that it's not really the extra games that the presidents, conference commissioners, and athletic directors are really concerned about. I'm more inclined to believe that the friction against a true full blown playoff is due to the fact that it would make all other bowl games plummet in popularity and decrease the revenues for teams that don't make it into the 16 team playoff.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

#2656 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

I believe that the 16 team model that I posted about before would be as close as we could get. All 11 FBS conference champions plus five at-large bids for the top 5 non-conference champions. Every single team from every conference gets a chance and it's a whopping 4 extra games for any given team (assuming they get to the championship game).

I'm starting to think that it's not really the extra games that the presidents, conference commissioners, and athletic directors are really concerned about. I'm more inclined to believe that the friction against a true full blown playoff is due to the fact that it would make all other bowl games plummet in popularity and decrease the revenues for teams that don't make it into the 16 team playoff.

The big boys have no interest in sharing any of the real revenue with mid majors. At best you get 2 at large bids. 1 for ND and 1 for a mid major. It's all about making the most money for the power conferences. They hold the keys to the kingdom and there is no way they relinquish that power.

#2657 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

Meh, I think the best model is to just get to four 16 team leagues. Take the champs and then two at larges form those leagues for a six team playoff. Two highest ranked champs get first round byes. Keeps a lot of importance on the regular season as you can't lose many games, and doesn't water it down with small conference teams that will never win it all anyway.

Make that the new BCS division (or whatever you want to call it), left out teams can be a new D1 and do what ever kind of post season they want, drop down to FCS etc.

#2658 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

WVU did well in BCS bowl games.

They potentially won't play in one again.

BCS is still there. It is still the ones determining who those 4 are. Mid-majors not making the "playoff" shows that it still isn't a playoff.

We as fans deal with the fact that even with this new system, a real champ is still not determined. FBS is the only sport that doesn't have a 16+ playoff to determine a true champion.

#2659 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

http://espn.go.com/c...rts-source-said

Tulane joining the Big East in all sports.

From twitter reports, the Big East almost dissolved yesterday. Came up two votes short--with DePaul and Marquette being the only two basketball only members who voted against dissolution.

ACC also met to try to get a vote for a grant of rights (schools give conference their TV rights for set amount of time like in Big 12 to add stability), but couldn't get support. Also wasn't support for inviting UCONN. Schools divided over UCONN/Louisville as UMD replacement apparently.

Big 12 expansion committee had a meeting yesterday, but haven't seen any reports of leaks from that.

Again, just twitter reports so take it all with a grain of salt of course.

#2660 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

http://espn.go.com/c...rts-source-said

Tulane joining the Big East in all sports.

From twitter reports, the Big East almost dissolved yesterday. Came up two votes short--with DePaul and Marquette being the only two basketball only members who voted against dissolution.

ACC also met to try to get a vote for a grant of rights (schools give conference their TV rights for set amount of time like in Big 12 to add stability), but couldn't get support. Also wasn't support for inviting UCONN. Schools divided over UCONN/Louisville as UMD replacement apparently.

Big 12 expansion committee had a meeting yesterday, but haven't seen any reports of leaks from that.

Again, just twitter reports so take it all with a grain of salt of course.

ECU is also joining the Big East in the event Navy decides to join the ACC.
Xecutioner
CML

#2661 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Yep, was just coming back to post that some ESPN reporters (McMurphy, Katz etc.) tweeting that ECU is in for football only.

Edit: ESPN article updated with ECU.

http://espn.go.com/c...ll-sources-said

Edited by dmaul1114, 27 November 2012 - 05:55 PM.

#2662 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

They potentially won't play in one again.

BCS is still there. It is still the ones determining who those 4 are. Mid-majors not making the "playoff" shows that it still isn't a playoff.

We as fans deal with the fact that even with this new system, a real champ is still not determined. FBS is the only sport that doesn't have a 16+ playoff to determine a true champion.

Actually the new playoff system is better than the current system but not by much. At least we get to see some good games between the power conferences and determine a "true" champion. The mid majors will always be outside looking in even if they were to expand to a 16 team playoff. At the end of the day it's always about money and power, something the mid majors do not have.
Xecutioner
CML

#2663 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Thing is TCU and Utah are in power conferences. So it's really just BYU and Boise to worry about in terms of mid majors who legitimately have shown they belong in the top tier.

No other mid majors are, or ever will be, national title caliber teams anyway. Or at least it's very unlikely going forward with all the shifting around.

So hopefully those two end up in the Pac or Big 12 when all this shifting around is said and done.

#2664 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

All it takes is a good year and a wealthy donor to step up and invest in the program (not *all*, but near impossible to breed success without these). Part of why I'm in favor of the MAC champion making a BCS game and getting the money and national exposure that goes with it. I'm 80% certain that if NIU and KSU scheduled Iowa and Kentucky at the end of the season they'd both be 12-0 now with the growth that these teams have shown over the year.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#2665 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

I just don't care about these piddly little schools. It works in basketball where you can have a huge tournament over 3 weeks.

It doesn't work with 120 teams in football IMO. Schedules end up too unbalanced, and you just can't have the huge tournament to sort it all out like the can in basketball.

And its just much harder for small schools to compete in football than in basketball. Basketball one or two great players can lead a team and make a tourney run. Football requires a lot more top level talent with 11 starters on both sides of the ball and need for depth in back ups.

I just want to watch the big time programs play each other. Get the have nots out of the mix. If I was a fan of one of these small schools, I'd rather them be in a lower division where they actually have a chance of competing for a title.

Make D1 more like the NFL. 64 Teams max. No games against lower division teams. Put the conference champs and a couple at larges in a playoff. And finally have a true champion decided on the field.

Even better, make it affiliated with the NFL and have the league chip in some money since they're basically getting a free minor league right now. Same with the NBA. Stop wasting state and school money on athletics instead of academics when the pro leagues are benefiting from not having to run their own minor league system like MLB does.

Edited by dmaul1114, 27 November 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#2666 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Even better, make it affiliated with the NFL and have the league chip in some money since they're basically getting a free minor league right now. Same with the NBA. Stop wasting state and school money on athletics instead of academics when the pro leagues are benefiting from not having to run their own minor league system like MLB does.

Agreed.
Xecutioner
CML

#2667 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

Man, is the Big East desperate at this point. Some facts about Tulane that Brett McMurphy just tweeted:

Tulane's last bowl game: 2002; last NCAA trip 1995; this year's home football actual attendance vs. SMU 2,119

They really should have just voted to disband and have the basketball only schools raid the A-10 and make a strong basketball league. Have the football schools end up in ACC or Big 12 for the top couple and the rest back somewhere like CUSA where they belong.

No way they survive by adding loser programs with no fan support. Just delaying the inevitable.

#2668 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Man, is the Big East desperate at this point. Some facts about Tulane that Brett McMurphy just tweeted:

Tulane's last bowl game: 2002; last NCAA trip 1995; this year's home football actual attendance vs. SMU 2,119

They really should have just voted to disband and have the basketball only schools raid the A-10 and make a strong basketball league. Have the football schools end up in ACC or Big 12 for the top couple and the rest back somewhere like CUSA where they belong.

No way they survive by adding loser programs with no fan support. Just delaying the inevitable.

The Big East is still negotiating a TV deal. I assume NBCSports will not sign a basketball only league. So they have no choice but to keep the league alive. Their best chance is to pit NBCSports against ESPN and hope one of them overbids for a diminished product. At this point if UConn leaves the BBall schools don't have much to offer. You have to figure the BIG12 grabs Louisville and Cincinnati and that's it for the Big East. They probably lose the Garden to the ACC, for their conference tournament, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the other leagues (maybe B1G) makes a play for Barclay's Center. The TV money in NY is outrageous and most of these schools have a healthy alumni base in the tri-state area.

Having said all of that, I do think adding ECU was a good move on their part. They have a very solid fanbase.
Xecutioner
CML

#2669 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

They aren't getting any kind of TV deal until the realignment stuff halts and NBC knows what they're getting.

With all the rumors of the Big 10 and SEC and Big 12 possibly ripping apart the ACC, any TV deal negotiations are going to be on hiatus until things calm down.

ECU is a good add, and a team that should have been added to the Big East long ago.

After the 2004 raid they never should have added Marquette and DePaul as basketball only schools. They should have immediately went to 12 football programs and gotten teams like ECU, Memphis etc. that they have now. The league would have been much more stable in that case.

But the Big East is just in limbo right now. No one's grabbing their schools other than maybe the ACC. The Big 12 isn't going to go after teams like Cincy or L'ville until they're sure the ACC is going to survive. If the Big 10 does grab UVA and GT as rumored, they're going to pounce on the ACC big time and try to get big time programs like FSU and Clemson.

If that fails, only then do they think about teams like Cincy, Lousiville, BYU etc.

#2670 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

They aren't getting any kind of TV deal until the realignment stuff halts and NBC knows what they're getting.

With all the rumors of the Big 10 and SEC and Big 12 possibly ripping apart the ACC, any TV deal negotiations are going to be on hiatus until things calm down.

ECU is a good add, and a team that should have been added to the Big East long ago.

After the 2004 raid they never should have added Marquette and DePaul as basketball only schools. They should have immediately went to 12 football programs and gotten teams like ECU, Memphis etc. that they have now. The league would have been much more stable in that case.

But the Big East is just in limbo right now. No one's grabbing their schools other than maybe the ACC. The Big 12 isn't going to go after teams like Cincy or L'ville until they're sure the ACC is going to survive. If the Big 10 does grab UVA and GT as rumored, they're going to pounce on the ACC big time and try to get big time programs like FSU and Clemson.

If that fails, only then do they think about teams like Cincy, Lousiville, BYU etc.

Their contract with ESPN is up at the end of this season so they are getting a new TV deal no matter what. Someone will pay for their product. The question is who and for how much.
Xecutioner
CML