Photo
- - - - -

Official (2014-2015) College Football Thread Florida State#1

• Please log in to reply
2989 replies to this topic

#2671 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

Of course. But not until this expansion stuff dies down. I don't look for them to get a new deal (assuming the survive at all) before this summer at the earliest.

My guess, if any thing major happens it goes down as follows.

Big 10 goes to 16. Mostly likely with UVA and GT. UVA is consistently mentioned in the rumors out there, GT sometimes swapped with UNC or UCONN (that seems far fetched to me).

That happens then the SEC goes to 16 with VT and NC State.

Big 12 then goes to 16 with some combination of six remaining ACC schools, and maybe Louisville and/or BYU mixed in depending on what happens with ACC leftovers potentially merging with Big East leftovers for more of a basketball centered league.

Not saying anything else happens. But if it does, that's my best guess on how things go down based on all the rumors and "insider" info out there on forums and twitter.

#2672 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

I agree that it would be nice to somehow involve the NFL/NBA in the monetary support of major college athletics in order to allow funds to be spent on academics although I'm not really sure how it would work out. As for the Big East, I think the conference might as well throw in the towel. Tulane is an absolutely worthless addition when it comes to major college football, ECU is a better choice but really won't make much of a difference. I feel like they belong in the second tier we are referring to.

I also have to agree (albeit somewhat reluctantly) that the 120something teams in FBS (D1-A) need to split into two groups, there is such a divide in the landscape of the college game now that it doesn't make any sense not to. The GAP (in resources, financial support, and on-field product) is just too great to ignore. I'm not sure how it shakes out however. Obviously; the Big Ten, SEC, and Pac 12 will still be around but I could see both the Big 12 and ACC sticking it out also. I say this because I'm not sure that there is a hard and fast number of schools that make the cut. 64 teams works out well on paper and all but realistically there might be a different numbered result, especially at first.

I say this because there are simply more teams than 64 that would probably make the cut. If we assume that all current members of the Big Ten (including the new pair), SEC, Pac 12, Big 12, and ACC remain in this top tier that already adds up to 61 teams. Adding N.Dame only leaves you two more teams if you'd like to arrive exactly at 64. The previously mentioned Boise St. and BYU would fit the bill. That leaves out any worthy additions from the Big East and some might also argue for the three service academies to be included. If those three are added along with Louisville, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh we arrive at 70 teams making the cut.

If all of the teams are required to join a conference (for real, not half-assed N.Dame style), I could see it happening with the Big Ten and SEC at 16 schools, the Pac 12 at 14, and the Big 12 and ACC at 12 schools each. Or the simpler 14 schools in each conference could also happen with 70 teams and five conferences. If some schools remain as independents the numbers are all different though. We will have to wait and see what happens but I feel that there are between 66 (current big 5 conferences plus ND, Boise, BYU, Louisville, and Cinci.) and 72 (the 66 plus the service academies and 3 oddballs, teams like Syracuse, Hawaii, Fresno St., and Nevada off the top of my head).
-Trying to think of something creative.-

#2673 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

The ACC is the one that could potentially get raided, especially if FSU and Clemson leave for the SEC or BIG12. Keep in mind FSU along with Maryland voted against raising the exit fee. This fact will play a big role in the lawsuit that just got underway. I'm sure they'll settle but if they don't it could have great ramifications on college sports. From a legal standpoint it's a very interesting lawsuit, since Maryland has always voted against the implementation of an exit fee and being a state institution it brings into question whether a corporation (ACC) can impose a tariff on the state.

Anyhow, there's a decent chance UVA and UNC(highly doubtful) would join B1G. The 64 teams would simply come from the SEC, B1G, PAC12 and BIG12. The rest are going to be left out there hanging in the wind, which isn't all that different from what's happening now. The level of play in these conferences would be significantly better and I doubt we'll see many undefeated teams. There will always be a couple of at large bids to appease the masses going to the schools outside the 4 superconferences.
Xecutioner
CML

#2674 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:09 AM

Great comment on the ACC vs Maryland lawsuit. I would not have thought of it that way (corporation vs the state) without that insight. It is very interesting indeed.

#2675 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

Louisville to ACC. Color me surprised.
Xecutioner
CML

#2676 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Not surprised. ACC had little choice but to get off their academic high horse and invite Louisville to sure up the football side of things. UCONN would have been a terrible add. They fit he academic profile of the league, but honestly who cares about that when we're talking about sports conferences.

UCONN football is terrible, especially with Edsall gone. Who knows if UCONN basketball will remain a power now that Calhoun is gone. With Louisville they get a solid football program and an elite basketball program.

From what I'm reading ESPN (who has the ACC tv deal) put a lot of pressure on them to take Louisville rather than UCONN. The ACC apparently voted on both yesterday and couldn't get the votes for either, but did in the 7am conference call this morning after ESPN stepped in and pressured them as they saw that only a strong football addition had any chance of keeping teams like FSU and Clemson from leaving--since they were both struggling in the BCS rankings this year with teams with more losses ahead of them due to weak conference SoS.

Fate of the ACC is really in the hands of the Big 10 though. With how much more money per school their TV deal is, any ACC school would jump at an invite. So if they go after some combo of UVA/GT/UNC to get to 16 more dominoes will fall.

The ACC really screwed themselves by inviting good academic schools that are medicore to weak in football like BC, Pitt, and Syracuse. They'd have been in much better shape if they invited schools like Louisville and WVU from the start. Football strength of schedule would be stronger. They'd have programs with rabid fanbases that get big ratings on ESPN and got more in their TV deal etc. Now they're stuck with a basketball heavy league, and TV deal that's around $15-16 million per school when the other power leagues are over $20 million and increasing, and are thus very vulnerable to poaching. They're very likely to pretty much end up as the Big East as they lose more teams and replace them with Big East teams and are left with just them and the schools they have like Wake that no one wants.

#2677 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

I guess the other presidents finally convinced the North Carolina schools that improving the football was necessary.

Apparently, Cincinnati is still making a large campaign to be added over Louisville or UConn. They offer a larger television market, but Louisville's large investment in their sports programs seems to be giving it the edge.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#2678 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

Cincy, UCONN and USF will be next in line if (more like when) the ACC loses more schools.

Welcome to the Big Least 2.0. But no need for you to worry as VT is likely in the SEC if that happens.

#2679 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Not surprised. ACC had little choice but to get off their academic high horse and invite Louisville to sure up the football side of things. UCONN would have been a terrible add. They fit he academic profile of the league, but honestly who cares about that when we're talking about sports conferences.

UCONN football is terrible, especially with Edsall gone. Who knows if UCONN basketball will remain a power now that Calhoun is gone. With Louisville they get a solid football program and an elite basketball program.

From what I'm reading ESPN (who has the ACC tv deal) put a lot of pressure on them to take Louisville rather than UCONN. The ACC apparently voted on both yesterday and couldn't get the votes for either, but did in the 7am conference call this morning after ESPN stepped in and pressured them as they saw that only a strong football addition had any chance of keeping teams like FSU and Clemson from leaving--since they were both struggling in the BCS rankings this year with teams with more losses ahead of them due to weak conference SoS.

Fate of the ACC is really in the hands of the Big 10 though. With how much more money per school their TV deal is, any ACC school would jump at an invite. So if they go after some combo of UVA/GT/UNC to get to 16 more dominoes will fall.

The ACC really screwed themselves by inviting good academic schools that are medicore to weak in football like BC, Pitt, and Syracuse. They'd have been in much better shape if they invited schools like Louisville and WVU from the start. Football strength of schedule would be stronger. They'd have programs with rabid fanbases that get big ratings on ESPN and got more in their TV deal etc. Now they're stuck with a basketball heavy league, and TV deal that's around $15-16 million per school when the other power leagues are over $20 million and increasing, and are thus very vulnerable to poaching. They're very likely to pretty much end up as the Big East as they lose more teams and replace them with Big East teams and are left with just them and the schools they have like Wake that no one wants.

IMO as long as BC keeps voting against UCONN they won't make it into the ACC. I do believe ESPN played a part in choosing Louisville over UCONN, who IMO would have been the better "fit" not based on their football profile but based on their location, TV market and academics. If the ACC was willing to compromise their academics, why not accept WVU 2 years ago?
Xecutioner
CML

#2680 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Good move by the ACC to add the Cardinals to their roster. As that article points out, they are a genuine step up from Maryland athletically for the conference. When considered along with the N.Dame deal, the ACC is moving more towards sticking around. Stick a fork in the Big East with regards to being a major college football conference. The MAC, MWC, and maybe even the WAC will be stronger football conferences.

#2681 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

IMO as long as BC keeps voting against UCONN they won't make it into the ACC. I do believe ESPN played a part in choosing Louisville over UCONN, who IMO would have been the better "fit" not based on their football profile but based on their location, TV market and academics. If the ACC was willing to compromise their academics, why not accept WVU 2 years ago?

If they lose more schools they won't have much choice but to add UCONN. There aren't many decent options left. No school will leave a power conference for the ACC so all they can do regional is take Big East schools.

They weren't willing to compromise on academics before as they were arrogant and didn't think any of their schools would leave, and they thought they could get a TV deal on par with the other leagues.

They were wrong. They can't get that kind of money as football drives things and it's a terrible football program. FSU and Miami are the only marquee elite programs and Miami has been down for a long time and FSU is still working their way back from being down. And money drives everything and they got a slap in the face on that front when UMD, a founding member, bolted for more money from the Big 10.

They're hoping adding Louisville will at least appease FSU and Clemson and Miami who have been unhappy at the addition of basketball schools that water down their SoS and hurt them in the BCS rankings. But it won't have any impact on the schools the Big 10 may be targeting. If the Big 10 wants UVA/GT etc. they get them. The ACC is just hoping they can sure up the league and stop others from bolting for the SEC and Big 12 if that happens.

#2682 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

Cincy, UCONN and USF will be next in line if (more like when) the ACC loses more schools.

Welcome to the Big Least 2.0. But no need for you to worry as VT is likely in the SEC if that happens.

Ditto.
Xecutioner
CML

#2683 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Interesting tidbit from the ESPN.com article.
http://espn.go.com/c...als-source-says

The ACC also considered UConn and Cincinnati for membership. However, sources told ESPN the league only wanted Louisville because there is a sense among league presidents that the ACC can add more schools at a later date if the ACC lost any other schools.

They're definitely planning for losing more schools and looks like UCONN and Cincy are next in line as replacements.

#2684 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

Damn Mark Stoops is leaving us. He is a great defensive coordinator. He will be missed. Good luck to him at Kentucky.

#2685 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

Opus, what is your take on Jimbo Fisher? I've read on more than a few Seminole message boards that fans are not happy with him as head coach despite his record and recruiting.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#2686 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

Opus, what is your take on Jimbo Fisher? I've read on more than a few Seminole message boards that fans are not happy with him as head coach despite his record and recruiting.

I am not sold on him. Our QB is 6'5 240lbs and real quick with his legs yet Fisher refuses to use him in run plays. Last guy that was this big and quick he and his team won a National Championship i.e. Cam Newton. When Chris Thompson went down, we put in Devonta Freeman (a back who proved he couldn't do it hence losing his starting gig from a year ago) over the big physical young back James Wilder Jr. Fisher doesn't have the killer instinct that other coaches display. It cost us the NC State game with his relaxed playcalling. I guess I just expected more based on his success at LSU.

As for recruiting, it was still going to be great no matter who our coach is. FSU has tradition and is a nationally known program. Kids want to come just for the name alone. We had great recruits even at the end of Bowden's career (as we were losing).

#2687 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:01 AM

Your take on Fisher is similar to an FSU fan that know, he also said that he was hoping for more. I also agree with you that losing Mark Stoops could be a blow. He's done good things with his defenses, we'll see how he does with the Kentucky job. At least he doesn't have to deal with a fan base used to winning on the gridiron!:lol:

#2688 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:48 AM

Kent State goes down 44-37 in 2OT, ending their BCS hopes.

Hoping K State and Oklahoma win tomorrow. Two Big 12 teams in BCS bowl means more $$$ for WVU since the conference bowl money gets split up among the 10 teams.

On the realignment front, some more buzz picking up about UVA and GT to the Big 10 with some tweets from some TV reporters etc.

UCLA up 24-17 on Stanford late in the 3rd in the Pac 12 title game.

#2689 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

Yep, the Golden Flashes couldn't quite get it done. Because they were only ranked 21, N.Illinois probably won't make it to 16 even with the win. Sucks for the MAC for sure. Stanford pulled out the victory to head to the Rose Bowl so UCLA will drop though.

#2690 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

OU held on to beat TCU. Now for K-State to take care of Texas so the Big 12 likely gets two BCS bids--which comes out to around $1 million extra per team in the league.

WVU is rolling Kansas as expected, 35-7 at the half. First team since 2007 to have two receivers with over 100 catches on the year. Hopefully Bailey wins the Biletnikoff--his stats are far better than the other two finalists. But USC hype will probably get it Lee.

#2691 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

I'm gonna puke if Alabama wins this game. Unlike most, I don't hate the SEC, but Fuck Alabama. So sick of them.

#2692 Chitown021

Chitown021

CAG, I'm back babeeeeee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

I'm gonna puke if Alabama wins this game. Unlike most, I don't hate the SEC, but Fuck Alabama. So sick of them.

Wow, hell of a game but Murray made a horrible decision on that last throw. Poor clock management. You gotta throw it into the endzone with no timeouts left!

Why not spike it and take a couple shots at it?
[URL="https://www.playfire.com/Chitown021"]Posted Image[/URL]PSN Gamercards

#2693 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:47 AM

Murray was trying to throw to the receiver in the endzone, ball got tipped.

But yeah, awful decision by Richt to not signal in to spike the ball and have a couple shots at it.

Looks like K-State is going to pull it out and get the Big 12 two BCS bids. Wisconsin is rolling Nebraska, and FSU rolling as expected.

#2694 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Shame WVU had no defense this year which cost the offensive studs any chance at being Heisman finalists. If they'd pulled out a couple more game's at least Geno Smith would be going to NY.

4,004 yds, 71.4% completion rate, 40 Tds to 6 ints. 164.6 rating.

Not to mention Tavon Austin who's probably the best all around player in college football.

110 receptions, 1,259 yards, 12 tds
598 rushing yards, 3 tds
164 punt return yards, 1 td
738 kick off return yards, 1 td

Stedman Bailey is right up there too and should win the Biletnikoff if it goes on stats

106 receptions, 1,501 yards, 23 tds.

#2695 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

http://blogs.ajc.com...gia_tech_sports

GT's president denies any talks of leaving the ACC. Of course we know denials aren't any more meaningful than rumors when it comes to this realignment stuff. Just have to wait and see.

#2696 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

http://blogs.ajc.com...gia_tech_sports

GT's president denies any talks of leaving the ACC. Of course we know denials aren't any more meaningful than rumors when it comes to this realignment stuff. Just have to wait and see.

The word on the street (rumor) is that UVA and GT are B1G bound. I doubt B1G goes to 16 without at least poaching UNC. IMO if the objective is to kill/raid the ACC then you go for UNC.
Xecutioner
CML

#2697 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Agreed. If they don't get UNC it was just the case that UNC said no. Or that they plan on going bigger. Some rumor they may go up to 20. I don't see how that would work really though. I guess maybe with some pod system and having some kind of conference playoff. i.e. the last week of games aren't set in advance so you can match up the 4 pod winners in semi finals before the conference title game.

That said, I'm not sure the B1G has the goal of killing the ACC. They just want to get to 16 with teams that fit their academic profile and bring new markets for the B1G network. GT brings the Atlanta market as another big city that would start offering the Big Ten Network on basic cable. UVA gets them presence in Virginia.

If the four power leagues want to kill off the ACC, then it will be a joint effort with the B1G taking more, the SEC probably grabbing VT and NC State (or UNC) and the Big 12 probably taking six.

#2698 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Looks like the Pinstripe Bowl for WVU

What a disappointing season :-(

#2699 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

Looks like the Pinstripe Bowl for WVU

What a disappointing season :-(

Hey at least you play/beat PITT.
Xecutioner
CML

#2700 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Yeah, very disappointing year.

Would be kind of nice to play Pitt though as the season is weird without the Backyard brawl. Hope they end up in the Big 12 if the ACC does get picked apart.

But I would still prefer the Holiday Bowl against a Pac 12 team. Opponent we haven't played recently (if ever), San Diego is a better location for the team--nicer reward than a cold weather bowl game in NYC in Dec. etc.