- - - - -

Official (2014-2015) College Football Thread Florida State#1

• Please log in to reply
2992 replies to this topic

#2701 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

Yeah, very disappointing year.

Would be kind of nice to play Pitt though as the season is weird without the Backyard brawl. Hope they end up in the Big 12 if the ACC does get picked apart.

But I would still prefer the Holiday Bowl against a Pac 12 team. Opponent we haven't played recently (if ever), San Diego is a better location for the team--nicer reward than a cold weather bowl game in NYC in Dec. etc.

I agree but I have already put in for my pinstripe tickets so I'll be there to see us destroy Pitt!

#2702 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Dang, may not be a sure thing for the Big 12 to get two BCS bids.

Boise or NIU has a decent chance of jumping to 16 and getting an auto at large fro being in the top 16 and higher ranked than the Big East champ. They're at 20 and 21 currently and will almost definitely jump UCLA, Texas, and Nebraska. And they'll definitely jump Kent State who they beat.

Maybe some chance Nebraska doesn't fall that far from 12, but unlikely giving how bad they lost to a 5 loss Wisconsin team.

#2703 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

My thoughts on GT, reposted from another site:

GT is a horrible geographic fit even if the B1G does pick up UVa. I would much rather see the league not pick up GT for the sake of hitting 16 and wait a year or two to see how things shake out with the ACC pillaging to see if they can convince UNC to jump ship (admittedly, not much better). If we're going to reach into the realm of the improbable, hell, Vandy is a better located school, but there's no chance they're leaving the SEC.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#2704 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

My guess is other ACC teams will wait and see what happens with the UMD lawsuit and what type of buyout they end up actually paying.

If they get hit with the full $50 million, the ACC may survive. If it gets chopped down, others may jump.

I think it will get chopped down. Hard for the ACC to argue that UMD leaving did that kind of damage to the league when they added Louisville right away and the commissioner said "the league has never been stronger." Kind of takes the teeth out of saying UMD leaving did much financial damage to the league. UMD also has some leverage in that they (along with FSU) voted against the increased buyout.

So I expect it will get cut way down. Just like A&M and Missouri (and Nebraska and Colorado before) paid way less than the contracted buyout to leave the Big 12, WVU, Pitt and Syracuse got out of the Big East 27 month waiting period etc.

Geography just doesn't matter than much anymore. See WVU in the Big 12, Boise, San Diego State, Houston, SMU, Tulsa etc. in the Big East. The travel just isn't that big a deal. If say Michigan is going to fly to games in Nebraska or Iowa, not really much different to fly to Atlanta if GT joins in terms of travel fatigue for players. Money is moot as adding a huge market like Atlanta for the BTN (again, doesn't matter if no one watches--the B1G really figured out a good racket with starting a cable network) will more than pay for the increased travel. Using WVU as an example, sure travel costs jumped. But the Big 12 payout is $20 million per year, where as they usually got around $6 million from the Big East. Even with only getting a 50% share this year (goes up each year, 100% in 5th year in league) the increased revenue more than covers travel costs.

#2705 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

Losing a CHARTER member is a major loss for the ACC, even if the fine stays at $50 million. I think FSU, GT and Clemson would be the first to leave if given a chance. I think the ACC is done though. Ever since they added Miami, BC and VT the league has gone completely downhill in almost all sports.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#2706 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

Losing a CHARTER member is a major loss for the ACC, even if the fine stays at $50 million. I think FSU, GT and Clemson would be the first to leave if given a chance. I think the ACC is done though. Ever since they added Miami, BC and VT the league has gone completely downhill in almost all sports.

The ACC started all of this shit when they raped the BE and took VT, BC and Miami from us!

They deserve to burn.

#2707 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

My guess is other ACC teams will wait and see what happens with the UMD lawsuit and what type of buyout they end up actually paying.

If they get hit with the full $50 million, the ACC may survive. If it gets chopped down, others may jump.

I think it will get chopped down. Hard for the ACC to argue that UMD leaving did that kind of damage to the league when they added Louisville right away and the commissioner said "the league has never been stronger." Kind of takes the teeth out of saying UMD leaving did much financial damage to the league. UMD also has some leverage in that they (along with FSU) voted against the increased buyout.

So I expect it will get cut way down. Just like A&M and Missouri (and Nebraska and Colorado before) paid way less than the contracted buyout to leave the Big 12, WVU, Pitt and Syracuse got out of the Big East 27 month waiting period etc.

Geography just doesn't matter than much anymore. See WVU in the Big 12, Boise, San Diego State, Houston, SMU, Tulsa etc. in the Big East. The travel just isn't that big a deal. If say Michigan is going to fly to games in Nebraska or Iowa, not really much different to fly to Atlanta if GT joins in terms of travel fatigue for players. Money is moot as adding a huge market like Atlanta for the BTN (again, doesn't matter if no one watches--the B1G really figured out a good racket with starting a cable network) will more than pay for the increased travel. Using WVU as an example, sure travel costs jumped. But the Big 12 payout is $20 million per year, where as they usually got around $6 million from the Big East. Even with only getting a 50% share this year (goes up each year, 100% in 5th year in league) the increased revenue more than covers travel costs.

I don't believe the ACC has a chance in hell of winning the suit and they know this. The ACC will have no choice but to settle. UMD is a state school (for all intents and purposes it is the state of Maryland) and the ACC is a private corporation. As you so eloquentily stated above, UMD has always voted against the implementation of an exit fee on legal grounds. Thus, the legal question becomes whether a private corporation can implement a tariff/tax against the state, when the state has refused to subject itself to such a tax? Many attorneys, myself included, believe the answer to be no.

The next step in the lawsuitis a change of venue/jurisdiction from North Carolina to Maryland, at which point the two parties will sit at the table and start negotiating a settlement because no Maryland Judge will rule in the ACC's favor.
Xecutioner
CML

#2708 Prepster

Prepster

The Bulls are Back!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

So I know its just the AP poll, but NIU came in at 16th, so I can pray and hope they make it into the orange bowl still. Apparently Louisville is projected to get the bowl invite.

Can someone care to explain how Louisville would get the bowl invite over NIU even if they aren't ranked higher than NIU?

Chi-Town Forever baby!

Posted Image

#2709 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

So I know its just the AP poll, but NIU came in at 16th, so I can pray and hope they make it into the orange bowl still. Apparently Louisville is projected to get the bowl invite.

Can someone care to explain how Louisville would get the bowl invite over NIU even if they aren't ranked higher than NIU?

Louisville gets an auto bid as the Big East champion so they'll play in the Sugar Bowl against FL. If NIU comes in 16th in the BCS standing they'll be going to the Orange Bowl.

As a Rutgers fan this makes Thursday nights debacle even worse.
Xecutioner
CML

#2710 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

Louisville is the Big East Champion. The Big East Champion automatically gets one of the at-large BCS bowls.

NIU at #16 will not make the BCS.

Championship is set. Notre Dame vs Alabama.
Rose is set. Stanford vs Wisconsin.
Sugar. Florida vs ???
Fiesta. Kansas St vs ???
Orange. FSU vs ???

Louisville gets one of the ???. Probably Orange.
Oregon gets one of the ???. Probably Fiesta.

The last one will either be Oklahoma or Clemson. Book it!

#2711 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

Man I like OU v UF, KSU v Oregon and U of L v FSU

Three great match ups in my mind

#2712 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

NIU at 16 HAS to get a BCS bid.

There's a rule that if an non AQ team finishes in the top 16 AND is ranked higher than one of the AQ league champs, the have to receive an at large bid. The bowls have no choice. It was something they put in place a few years ago when congress was threatening to get involved over teams like Utah getting left out etc.

And they will be ranked higher than Louisville, so if they finish 16th, they will be playing FSU in the Orange Bowl (since that's the BCS bowl that has the last at large selection this year).

KSU vs. Oregon in the fiesta will be the match up I look forward to the most. Was really hoping that would end up being the title game this year.

Some coaching news:

NC State hired NIU's coach.

Skip Holtz fired by USF.

Cincy's Butch Jones is interviewing at Purdue.

Jimbo Fisher rumored to interview for Tennessee. Gruden said no.

Haven't heard much lately on the searches at Auburn or Arkansas (since Miles turned them down to stay at LSU).

#2713 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

This is part of why no one takes you seriously.

NC State hiring NIU's coach right now is in poor taste and poor timing when they still have an outside shot at a BCS bowl and will be playing in a bowl regardless. NCAA should really institute a rule disallowing hires of coaches who still have games to play that season, or just do a blanket ban on all coaching hires until after the NCG.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#2714 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

NC State hiring NIU's coach right now is in poor taste and poor timing when they still have an outside shot at a BCS bowl and will be playing in a bowl regardless. NCAA should really institute a rule disallowing hires of coaches who still have games to play that season, or just do a blanket ban on all coaching hires until after the NCG.

Agreed. The only problem with waiting is the impact it will have on recruiting and getting the coaching staff together.
Xecutioner
CML

#2715 Prepster

Prepster

The Bulls are Back!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I should have googled it, but I just kept hearing Louisville was projected to play in the Orange Bowl.

And the news about NIU's coach leaving for NC State immediately is a joke. NCAA really should stop that from happening until after the bowl games are over with.

Chi-Town Forever baby!

Posted Image

#2716 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

Well thank you. Let's see how things play out tonight ;)

#2717 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

What? If NIU isn't in the top 16 then of course they won't make it. There is no way that NIU ranked at #16 does not make a BCS game. No "waiting to see how things play out" required, it's in the BCS rules on the official website.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png

#2718 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Don't try to reason with that dumbass.

#2719 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

http://sportsillustr...t2_a2&eref=sihp

NIU is BCS bound.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png

#2720 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

Good, Fuck Oklahoma.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#2721 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

Louisville is the Big East Champion. The Big East Champion automatically gets one of the at-large BCS bowls.

The last one will either be Oklahoma or Clemson. Book it!

Quoting this so we all can laugh.

#2722 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

Lame crop of BCS games.

FSU will kill NIU and Florida will kill Louisville. Rose bowl will probably bee lame too unless Wisconsin's running game goes off again.

Fiesta is only one I'm looking forward to. National title game should be good, but I despise both teams so I have no real interest in watching.

WVU got hosed too. Not only stuck in the Pinstripe Bowl, but against Syracuse instead of reviving the Backyard Brawl with Pitt. :bomb:

#2723 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:28 AM

Kirk Herbstreit, you are a massive asshole. Plenty of fuel to fire up NIU after his embarrassing rant during the selection show. I think NIU can make a game of it, but losing their coach is really going to hurt.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png

#2724 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:30 AM

Hopefully NIU getting in will make some of the big boys that got left up get more riled up and push to get to four 16 team conferences and lock everyone else out of the playoff.

I loathe FSU, but they'll destroy NIU.

#2725 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

I hope they try and the FBS gets brought down in a massive antitrust lawsuit.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png

#2726 RealDeals

RealDeals

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

Purely off statistics and how much his team has overachieved, Jordan Lynch should atleast be invited for the Heisman ceremony. http://espn.go.com/c...42/jordan-lynch
http://t3.gstatic.co...4wtuy3FpqqoZSRA

Originally Posted by the4thnobleman Posted Image
I need power to come back on! I still need to spend $10 or so to get my $20. Stupid hurricane Sandy Vagina!

Posted Image

#2727 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:02 AM

Congrats boys.

When that rule was put into place, teams like Boise St, TCU, and Utah beat good AQ schools. NIU hasn't done that. They survived Army by a 1pt and were beat by 4-8 Iowa. They beat Kent St who was slaughtered by 2-10 Kentucky. Do these guys stand any chance against 12-1 FSU.... No way. Luckily Fisher calls off the dogs at a certain point or this would be extremely ugly.

The other BCS games... more of the same; games that will be over by half. The only good out of it is Oregon finally gets their hands on Kansas State (who backed out of their game this year).

#2728 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

I was away for a few days so I missed the whole N.Illinois getting into the BCS thing. I'm glad they made it in. I think they have a better chance against Florida St. than Louisville does against Florida but losing the Husky headman could really screw them. The Fiesta bowl could be a good "what if?" type game and might be fun to watch.

I like my Wolverines chances against S.Carolina in the Outback bowl, they would have had a tough time with Georgia in the Capital One bowl so Nebraska may have done them a favor by forgetting to bring their defense against Wisconsin.

As for the Big Ten getting Georgia Tech., I'd love to be able watch Michigan more (I live in Atlanta) but I'd hope the Yellowjackets joined in tandem with the Tarheels.
-Trying to think of something creative.-

#2729 Prepster

Prepster

The Bulls are Back!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

People keep saying that NIU lost to Iowa. Big deal, it was the first game of the season and Jordan lynchs first ever game as starting quarterback. NIU went and won 12 straight after that. Fyi Florida State has 2 losses, not one. And I love how people all seem to have crystal balls and know exactly how the games are going to play out.

Chi-Town Forever baby!

Posted Image

#2730 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

Congrats boys.

When that rule was put into place, teams like Boise St, TCU, and Utah beat good AQ schools. NIU hasn't done that. They survived Army by a 1pt and were beat by 4-8 Iowa. They beat Kent St who was slaughtered by 2-10 Kentucky. Do these guys stand any chance against 12-1 FSU.... No way. Luckily Fisher calls off the dogs at a certain point or this would be extremely ugly.

The other BCS games... more of the same; games that will be over by half. The only good out of it is Oregon finally gets their hands on Kansas State (who backed out of their game this year).

Actually the rule was put in place to allow for non AQ schools to get access to BCS bowl games which seems fair considering that the ACC and Big East Champs get automatic bids. Personally I don't think it's that big a deal. Everyone knew the rules before they started playing under the current system. Also, a one loss ND team gets an at large bid to a BCS bowl. ND essentially has two outs to get to a BCS game, one loss or top 16.