Official (2014-2015) College Football Thread Florida State#1

• Please log in to reply
2997 replies to this topic

#2881 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Thanks for the info on the hoops thread. I kinda' figured that might be the case as far as activity level.
I really would be interested even if Michigan wasn't playing so well, of course that doesn't hurt either! ;)
-Trying to think of something creative.-

#2882 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

http://espn.go.com/c...cks-sources-say

Chip Kelley decided to stay at Oregon rather than go to the NFL.

Good move as I'm not sure his offense would work well at the next level. Plus Oregon is a fun team to watch, so good for the college game that he's sticking around.

#2883 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

Go to the Browns and try to run high speed spread option that has yet to be proven in the NFL where everyone is fast with Colt McCoy, Brandon Weeden, and Trent Richardson and slowly build the roster with a couple big stars each year.... or.... Use Nike money to have the best facilities, equipment, and a never ending stream of flashy uniforms to lure in the fastest kids from all over the country.

Chip Kelly: Uhhh yeah, I'm staying at Oregon.

Probably not anything like how it really went down, but that's the way I see it.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#2884 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Sure that type of thinking was part of it.

Wasn't just the Browns though as the Eagles and Cardinals were also interested.

#2885 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

Actually that might be how it went down in a nutshell!:lol:

#2886 Chitown021

Chitown021

CAG, I'm back babeeeeee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

Jeez, it's clear who the refs are rooting for! Not that it's going to make a huge difference if Notre Dame can't stop the run but good lord! Yeah, wait until the ball is practically in your lap, then call fair catch, and get interfered with BY YOUR OWN GUY!!!!
[URL="https://www.playfire.com/Chitown021"]Posted Image[/URL]PSN Gamercards

#2887 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

That was the worst call ive ever seen. Took a guaranteed 3 points if not 7 points from notre dame and gave it to alabama

#2888 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

This game looks like it's going to be over by halftime.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#2889 Chitown021

Chitown021

CAG, I'm back babeeeeee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

I couldn't believe they didn't at least review that one catch from Eifert. In regular season games they review just about anything but in the BCS title game not? What are they on a tight budget and are paying a per review fee or something?

#2890 Chitown021

Chitown021

CAG, I'm back babeeeeee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

This game looks like it's going to be over by halftime.

Unfortunately you're right. Damn you SEC and damn you Baylor! If you had just lost to Kansas State they'd be in the title game!

#2891 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:28 AM

You might as well add a "Damn you Ohio State" also. They finished undefeated and would have been in the title game (assuming they would have won the Big Ten championship) if they hadn't been on post season probation.

#2892 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

and damn you Baylor! If you had just lost to Kansas State they'd be in the title game!

Because Notre Dame would have a chance to beat another crap Big 12 team and claim a title they wouldn't deserve?

Yeah, I'd rather watch Alabama beat the shit out of them instead, thanks Baylor.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

#2893 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

Figured Bama would win pretty easy, but didn't expect this level of domination.

Digging watching on ESPN 3D on my new plasma as well.

#2894 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

Digging watching on ESPN 3D on my new plasma as well.

I'm jealous. How's football in 3D?
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

#2895 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

I'm jealous. How's football in 3D?

It's pretty neat. The depth helps with telling how far away coverage is on pass plays etc.

Added benefit of not getting many commercials, mostly just highlights and game pics with some ads forother espn 3d stuff like the winter X games.

Edited by dmaul1114, 08 January 2013 - 03:53 AM.

#2896 fatmanforlife99

fatmanforlife99

I need a weapon.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:37 AM

This is the most sorry championship game I have ever watched. Too bad Oregon is not in this game, ND and manti teo are the most overrated team/player ever.:fridge:

There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now?

#2897 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

http://espn.go.com/b...pansion-targets

Big East considering UMASS and Tulsa since Boise is out and San Diego State will likely jump ship as well.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

#2898 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:22 AM

And this ladies and gentlemen, is why we need an eight team playoff.

Scrub teams hanging onto a long-dead legacy like ND would get bounced early on and we could see something along the lines of a rematch between Georgia and Alabama.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#2899 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

Well that wraps up the college season, I'm sure the traffic on this thread will die down quite a bit now. I'm glad I stumbled over it this year and look forward to upcoming posts and future seasons. Good Night! :)

#2900 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

I don't know if I've ever heard Musburger get that excited.

#2901 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

I don't know if I've ever heard Musburger get that excited.

That's pretty much the game last night. Hot girl with an old man gawking at her.

So the BCS gave us 4 of 5 blowouts. Thanks for such a quality system.

Since Oregon was brought up... They would have lost too. Maybe not by 28 but still it would have been bad. How do I figure? Oregon struggled against a good defense Stanford and lost. Oregon offense doesn't work against top defenses as proven by history. Alabama is #1 in scoring defense.

Until the BCS goes to at least 16 will we finally see competitive big bowl games. This top 4 stuff won't give us that.

#2902 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

That's pretty much the game last night. Hot girl with an old man gawking at her.

So the BCS gave us 4 of 5 blowouts. Thanks for such a quality system.

Since Oregon was brought up... They would have lost too. Maybe not by 28 but still it would have been bad. How do I figure? Oregon struggled against a good defense Stanford and lost. Oregon offense doesn't work against top defenses as proven by history. Alabama is #1 in scoring defense.

Until the BCS goes to at least 16 will we finally see competitive big bowl games. This top 4 stuff won't give us that.

I'm confused as to how a 16 game playoff would have given us more competitive games. The first round of the playoffs would have been the same blowouts. The problem this year was that there really weren't any great teams besides maybe 'Bama. Just my 2 cents.
Xecutioner
CML

#2903 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, the more teams you put in the playoffs the more blow outs you get.

And no guarantee you get a good title game. Look how many Super Bowls have been blow outs over the years. Some years there's just a team or two that's way better than everyone else.

Alabama vs. Oregon would have been a much better match up. Alabama's defense isn't infallible against explosive spread offenses. See their loss to Texas A&M as case in point.

Well that wraps up the college season, I'm sure the traffic on this thread will die down quite a bit now. I'm glad I stumbled over it this year and look forward to upcoming posts and future seasons. Good Night! :)

Yeah, the thread will die off until August unless there's some more realignment news or something. I don't expect much of anything to happen until the Maryland-ACC lawsuit is settled and we see how much of the $50 million or so buyout they have to pay.

Only other thing will be MWC expanding--San Diego State will probably re-join Boise at the least, and maybe they grab a couple other Big East leftovers or incoming members.

Edited by dmaul1114, 08 January 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#2904 munch

munch

la tĂȘte de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

Yeah, the more teams you put in the playoffs the more blow outs you get.

And no guarantee you get a good title game. Look how many Super Bowls have been blow outs over the years. Some years there's just a team or two that's way better than everyone else.

Alabama vs. Oregon would have been a much better match up. Alabama's defense isn't infallible against explosive spread offenses. See their loss to Texas A&M as case in point.

Yeah, the thread will die off until August unless there's some more realignment news or something. I don't expect much of anything to happen until the Maryland-ACC lawsuit is settled and we see how much of the $50 million or so buyout they have to pay.

Only other thing will be MWC expanding--San Diego State will probably re-join Boise at the least, and maybe they grab a couple other Big East leftovers or incoming members.

The last super bowl blowout was 10 years ago.

#2905 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

I stand corrected. Haven't paid a ton of attention to the NFL since the 90s, and back then it seemed like it was always the Cowboys or 49ers blowing someone out.

I don't think the college game will have that kind of parity though. NFL has the hard salary cap, where as there are HUGE money and resource differences between the elite programs and everyone else even when just looking at the power conference teams.

So there will always be some mismatches in 8 or (especially) 16 team playoffs as champs from weaker conferences get in etc. and get stomped by the huge money programs like Bama, Oregon etc. that can afford all the fancy facility things to entice recruits, pay top coaches 4-5+ million to stay around etc.

A 4 team playoff would probably have the least amount of blow outs. But there will still be cases where a team like ND that played a weaker schedule runs the table and gets in while stronger 1 loss teams get left out.

#2906 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

I'm confused as to how a 16 game playoff would have given us more competitive games. The first round of the playoffs would have been the same blowouts. The problem this year was that there really weren't any great teams besides maybe 'Bama. Just my 2 cents.

If it happened this year A&M would be left out. They might be the best team out there. Their two losses combined for only 7 points. They were the first game of Johnny Football career and the other against top 10 LSU. 16 would cover the good teams and allow everyone to prove their spot. Giving us competitive games in the 2nd, 3rd, and Championship Game.

#2907 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

The last super bowl blowout was 10 years ago.

Keep in mind that correlation does not equal causation. Furthermore, there is no correlation that playoffs =/= blowouts. The reason we have witnessed less blowouts in the Superbowl has to do with parity, which can be attributed to the greatest QB era in the history of the league.
Xecutioner
CML

#2908 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

A 4 team playoff would probably have the least amount of blow outs. But there will still be cases where a team like ND that played a weaker schedule runs the table and gets in while stronger 1 loss teams get left out.

Not this year... Florida was the #3 team and they were hammered by Louisville ranked #20 in Week 15. ND couldn't show up in Alabama so who says they favor any better against Oregon. So both games potentially blowouts. Oregon again struggles against real defenses so Alabama still wins with blowout.

With 16, you get teams like A&M, Oklahoma, Clemson, and of course my Noles. All teams which on a given day can take down the giants.

#2909 munch

munch

la tĂȘte de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

Keep in mind that correlation does not equal causation. Furthermore, there is no correlation that playoffs =/= blowouts. The reason we have witnessed less blowouts in the Superbowl has to do with parity, which can be attributed to the greatest QB era in the history of the league.

I wasn't making any correlations, just responding to the post that said that there has been a lot of super bowl blowouts. Of course you won't get magical parity in ncaaf because of a playoff. But you will more teams that have a chance to play.

A playoff isn't going to fix the most significant problem with college football, which is that these kids need to be financially compensated.

#2910 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

If it happened this year A&M would be left out. They might be the best team out there. Their two losses combined for only 7 points. They were the first game of Johnny Football career and the other against top 10 LSU. 16 would cover the good teams and allow everyone to prove their spot. Giving us competitive games in the 2nd, 3rd, and Championship Game.

I'm a proponent of a playoff system because it affords more teams the ability to compete for the title but I have no illusions that it will result in a more competitive field. There is no guarantee that those additional games would have been more competitive. Many folks, including quite a few people on this board, thought Oregon vs KSU was going to be a competitive game but it wasn't. The idea that somehow you can guarantee more competitive games is simply false.
Xecutioner
CML