Official (2014-2015) College Football Thread Florida State#1

• Please log in to reply
3001 replies to this topic

#2941 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

"Big 10 talk buzzing again. (Virginia) being mentioned often as likely to join. Georgia Tech still in the mix. UNC, the big domino, has an offer," Jeff Ermann of InsideMDSports.com tweeted.

North Carolina is a program both the Big Ten and the SEC likely covet due to its athletics, location and academic standing.

If the league were to offer another program, there are two trains of thought. Virginia is a more logical geographical fit after the league added Maryland and potentially North Carolina. But the Big Ten supposedly covets the Atlanta market and Georgia Tech.

Another domino may be tipping in the never ending game of college football realignment.

Thanks to whatever cheap magazine site got me a 5 year ESPN sub.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#2942 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Nothing new then as most of the Twitter buzz was started by Ermann.

He was one of the (if not the) first to break the MD story, so he does at the least have good connections to UMD sources.

Seems pretty clear the B1G wants to expand. Only question is whether the ACC can come up with a way to keep teams from leaving. Which is tough as they've failed at getting the votes needed for a Grant of Rights and there's nothing they can do to get their TV money up to the B1G level--or other major league level--as they just don't have the markets and fanbases or their own conference cable channel etc.

#2943 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Any of those teams would be an awesome pick up for the Big 10.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#2944 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

The other question is how big the B1G wants to go. Stop at 16? 18? Clear to 20 eventually as some rumors suggest? My guess is they take two and stop at 16 for now. Then wait and see if the SEC and Big 12 grab more ACC teams in hopes that forces ND to finally join the B1G--if nothing else they could probably get them as a partial member like the ACC has them now for the time being if the ACC falls apart.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. With a four team playoff it makes sense to get to four major conferences that contain all/most of the major teams. Just have some hard to achieve process for the lower conferences teams to get in (especially if they play off goes to 8+ teams down the road) and things are pretty much set.

Edited by dmaul1114, 20 February 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#2945 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

I think the results of the lawsuit the ACC has with MD is going to affect the stability of the ACC.

However, even if MD has to pay ACC a fine for leaving the conference. The amount of money they will make in the B1G will render that moot.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2946 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

I think the results of the lawsuit the ACC has with MD is going to affect the stability of the ACC.

However, even if MD has to pay ACC a fine for leaving the conference. The amount of money they will make in the B1G will render that moot.

Agreed. However, if the judge rules in favor of MD then the ACC is in definite trouble. It would mean that FSU could leave without having to pay an exit fee because they also voted against having the exit fee implemented.
Xecutioner
CML

#2947 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Agreed. However, if the judge rules in favor of MD then the ACC is in definite trouble. It would mean that FSU could leave without having to pay an exit fee because they also voted against having the exit fee implemented.

Exactly, if the judge rules in favor of MD, the ACC will probably be unrecognizable.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2948 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

Looks like the Big East is no longer going to be called the Big East.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#2949 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

FSU isn't exactly sounding committed to the ACC with the their AD talking about discussions of options in other leagues etc.

http://espn.go.com/c...minoles-program

Pretty big departure from that statement of solidarity they ACC presidents issues a couple months back. I think we could really see some movement once the ACC-UMD lawsuit and exit fee issue is settled.

#2950 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Is there a ballpark time frame for when when the ACC-UMD lawsuit will wrap up one way or the other?
-Trying to think of something creative.-

#2951 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

FSU isn't exactly sounding committed to the ACC with the their AD talking about discussions of options in other leagues etc.

http://espn.go.com/c...minoles-program

Pretty big departure from that statement of solidarity they ACC presidents issues a couple months back. I think we could really see some movement once the ACC-UMD lawsuit and exit fee issue is settled.

Pretty much the same stance as last year. If SEC comes a knocking, we might bolt since costs are low, revenue is high, and still playing in same area of country as before (for our fans). If they don't, we will stay due to those costs he stated.

#2952 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Bunch of stuff on the Big East/Catholic 7 stuff the past week or so.

The 7 Catholic schools are officially out this summer, they are keeping the Big East name and MSG for the conference basketball tournament. They will add 3 teams for the 2013-14 season to get to 10--probably Xavier, Butler and Creighton. Dayton and St. Louis are rumored as likely to join the following year to make a 12 team league.

I like how that worked out as Big East basketball has always been awesome. It won't be the same with Syracuse and UCONN gone--as well as Pitt and Louiville (though they weren't in the league as long), but still a very strong league overall.

The Big East football schools have to pick a new name--America 12 was rumored but shot down as the ADs didn't like having a number in the name (which is a dumb thing to do with all the realignment waves). They get to keep $100 million of the $110 in exit fees the Big East has/will have in the coffers--which is why they let the C7 schools leave for next season.

Finally, ND is moving to the ACC for basketball and olympic sports for the 2013 season as well now. The football scheduling agreement (5 games a year) will still start in 2014 as planned.

#2953 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Some more smoke. Duke has put out an article about their future in the changing college landscape.

http://www.goduke.co...&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Reads like a statement reassuring their fans they'll be fine if the ACC gets raided and even if the top 60-70 football schools break away from the NCAA. Can't imagine they'd put that out if there wasn't a lot of truth to the ongoing rumors of the ACC getting picked apart and lots of schools talking to other leagues.

The newest wrinkle on that front is rumors on a few sites that FSU has sent a plan for getting AAU membership to the Big 10. I can't see that happening--but who knows, maybe the Big 10 ins planning on going to twenty and wants a southern pod.

The other side of the rumor is that all that could fizzle out and the ACC may survive (or just lose a couple teams and replace with Cincy/UCONN) and do some kind of scheduling alliance with the Big 12. I'd be up for that if it meant teams like Pitt and VT were back on WVU's schedule with some regularity.

I hate being stuck on the island in the Big 12 and not playing many teams (other than UMD) in our region, having lost rivals off the schedule etc. So I'm not that excited about the Big 12 potentially adding a bunch of southern ACC teams so none of the rumors have really done much for me fan wise. Maybe if the Big 10 does go to 20 with FSU, UNC, GT, UVA or whatever then maybe the Big 12 could get some teams like L'ville, VT (they'd probably go SEC if that happened though), Pitt etc. I guess. But I think that's an extreme longshot, and adding teams like Miami, Clemson etc. which are rumored more often doesn't do much for me, and doesn't help WVU's travel woes.

Edited by dmaul1114, 18 March 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#2954 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

Sorry dmaul, looks like the Big 12 and Big 10 will have to find new recruits elsewhere.

http://espn.go.com/c...-okd-presidents
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#2955 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

Yep. Sucks for WVU as we're stuck on an island 900+ miles away from other conference members indefinitely.

Oh well, only other option was getting left out and being stuck in the shitty AAC now.

#2956 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

I'd be careful with the AAC bashing, your old buddies at Cincinnati, South Florida and UCONN might be the Big 12's only options should they choose to expand.

That round robin schedule produces less teams with double digit wins and that hurts the conference regardless of how strong the teams actually are. I don't know if the Big 12 expansion itch will go away just because they can't pick up ACC teams now.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

#2957 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

I wouldn't mind them joining at all. Just wouldn't want to be stuck with them in the AAC with the rest of the lousy teams there. No team from that league will ever make the football playoff, so getting stuck there would have pretty much been a death sentence for WVU football. The travel woes in the Big 12 pail in comparison to that alternative.

But Cincy and UCONN would be decent adds for the Big 12 for WVU--beatable teams that are much closer to WVU and would help improve Big 12 basketball. USF not so much as they're still too far away (which I was never excited about the Clemson/FSU rumors as that wouldn't help WVU's travel woes) and suck at basketball.

#2958 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

That was a smart move by the ACC.
Things should settle down a bit now.

#2959 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

FSU representing! Proud of my school getting 11 players drafted. The season can't come soon enough.

#2960 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Happy to see Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey end up on the same team. They complement each other very well, and should be great paired with Sam Bradford.

Feel bad for Geno Smith falling into the 2nd round, and even more so with landing with the mess that is the Jets.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2961 Fatality

Fatality

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

The SEC Network to launch in August 2014.
AT&T U-Verse is the first TV service provider to agree to distribute the network
SEC Network will air at least 45 football games, more than 100 men's basketball games, 75 baseball games and 60 women's basketball games each year
http://espn.go.com/e...ec-network-2014

#2962 fatmanforlife99

fatmanforlife99

I need a weapon.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:14 AM

http://www.rotoworld...left-the-school

Apparently he got caught cheating on finals. haha

There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now?

1237720547_chuck_norris.gif

#2963 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

Golson leaving Notre Dame could be a blow to the Irish.
They still have Rees but we'll see in a few more months.

Also, fatmanforlife99:
^What's going on in that GIF in your signature?
Is there a woman with a wired keyboard in the background?

#2964 fatmanforlife99

fatmanforlife99

I need a weapon.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Also, fatmanforlife99:

hahaha, I am pretty sure it has to do with this. It is a pc track and field game.

There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now?

1237720547_chuck_norris.gif

#2965 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

Ha! That makes a lot more sense now. :rofl:

#2966 Chitown021

Chitown021

CAG, I'm back babeeeeee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

Also, fatmanforlife99:

I saw that breaking news pop up while I was at BWW watching UFC 160 and the Blackhawks stave off elimination for one more night. Just when we were starting to get back to past glory. At least they're a school that sticks to their high academic standards. If it were, oh I don't know let's say Alabama in the SEC, they'd probably cover it up, pump him full of deer antler hormones, and pay him to stay.
[URL="https://www.playfire.com/Chitown021"]Posted Image[/URL]PSN Gamercards

#2967 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

Golson's issues the heels of Kiel's exodus to Cincinnati was really bad timing for Notre Dame. I read that Golson is hoping to be eligible again in the Winter 2014 term, though that won't help the Irish much in the present.

As for the NHL, I was watching that game as well but hoping for a different outcome. I'm pulling for the Redwings to close the door on Chicago tonight. Let's go Detroit!

#2968 Chitown021

Chitown021

CAG, I'm back babeeeeee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

Yeah, I wonder if Keil can "de-transfer" and stay? Everyone started leaving because they knew with Golston being an underclassman and coming into his own they weren't going to get to start. I'm guessing Rees will be the starter next year. I'm not too excited about that. He's a decent QB, more of a game manager as long as he's got top tier talent around him at the other skill positions and a strong running game. Not sure any of that's going to be in play next season.

As far as hockey goes I'm pretty sure Detroit will close things out tonight although things will get really interesting if it were to go to a game seven. When I found out the Hawks were going to face the Redwings I had a feeling they'd lose the series.
[URL="https://www.playfire.com/Chitown021"]Posted Image[/URL]PSN Gamercards

#2969 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

I wouldn't want Gunner Kiel anywhere near my team. He's shown himself to be so unreliable. How many schools has he ditched now? Indiana, LSU, Notre Dame, possibly Cincinnati.

#2970 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:52 AM

^ I agree. I think that the Irish are better off going with Rees than hoping for Kiel.

And the Wings just lost to the Hawks, game seven it is!