Official Amazon Quick Picks FAQ - READ 1st POST

• Please log in to reply
1549 replies to this topic

#61 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

Do you...want my carrots?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:04 PM

I thought I had a good one yesterday, but today is all games too (and quite a few I've been waiting on):

Spoiler

Posted Image

SSBB: blue - 4897-5594-5432
MKWii: Jason - 0344-9687-4928

#62 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:13 PM

Which, brings up my next question... If you check uninterested on one of the platforms (in the case Alpha Protocol for the PS3) will Amazon still try to tempt you with the 360 version or are you shooting yourself in the foot?

That's a very good question for which I don't have a definitive answer, but I would have to say it should not rule out another platform. I have the 360 version of FFXIII marked as such, but I still have the PS3 copy in my recommendations. If I get it in my picks, we'll know for sure.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#63 Nirron

Nirron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:39 PM

Dunno how I didn't see this thread immediately when it popped up (I had a blog about Amazon Quick Picks a week or so ago) but I definitely learned me some new stuff.

Yesterday I FINALLY had two games pop up that I was trying to get in there: Super Mario Galaxy 2 and A Witch's Tale.

Now I'm trying for Brutal Legend something fierce. I "pre-ordered" Dragon Age: Origins CE, BioShock 2, Dante's Inferno, and Assassin's Creed 2, while rating and saying I owned Wet.

Edit: And to answer the question you were trying to answer Jodou, I can confirm that it does not rule out that other platform. I've had it happen with both Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno. Both appeared in my Quick Picks on one platform (PS3 in this instance) while their 360 counterparts were marked Not Interested.

Edited by Nirron, 11 September 2009 - 06:26 PM.
I'm an idiot

Posted Image

#64 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:00 PM

Well I guess that sums it up. 1: Either fake pre-order or actually pre-order games. 2: Make sure the games you want are actually showing up in quick picks.

Timeline:
9th: Ordered Demon's souls deluxe and brutal legend, without quick picks
10th: Got heavy rain and 2 junk items
11th: Got Resonance of Fate, Professor Layton and the diablolical box and real triggers for a ps3 controller(triggers and resonance are in my recommendations)

Oh and quick edit, I'm going through my "not interested" list taking some things off it now that I've gotten the majority of games I wanted. Maybe I can get upcoming games to pop up if I decide I want one of them later. But I am seeing the new professor layton, which did appear in my quick picks today, in my not interested list.

So even marking something as not interested doesn't necessarily preclude it from your picks as I just got uncharted 2 in there the other day after checking "not interested" on that weeks ago.

Edited by Vortextk, 11 September 2009 - 05:30 PM.

#65 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

Looking for my padded cell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:14 PM

That's a very good question for which I don't have a definitive answer, but I would have to say it should not rule out another platform. I have the 360 version of FFXIII marked as such, but I still have the PS3 copy in my recommendations. If I get it in my picks, we'll know for sure.

Yeah, I went ahead and said not interested in Alpha Protocol for the PS3 but most, if not all, of the PS3 games that drop in are exclusives... (which is pretty much all that I want.)

I'm tempted to cancel my Demon's Souls Deluxe preorder... and try to get it into my gold box but they have dropped the price on it since I preordered it and I'm not sure I really want to play that game as I'm not sure how long its been sitting at 66.99. (I actually wrote them asking for when they would have it the same day Atlas announced the Deluxe edition... My Asian copy went on eBay soon after that. :lol: )

Tempted to do the same thing with a few other games but, well, I'm not sure I want to take the chance...

#66 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:32 PM

I'm tempted to cancel my Demon's Souls Deluxe preorder... and try to get it into my gold box

I'd caution you that they may have remove this for gold picks eligibility since it has not been seen in a while. There's no harm in trying save for having the locked in price of $66.99. I've been trying to do the same with Star Wars: TFU Sith Edition PS3 for a while now and it's just not eligible yet.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#67 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:53 PM

Oh and quick edit, I'm going through my "not interested" list taking some things off it now that I've gotten the majority of games I wanted. Maybe I can get upcoming games to pop up if I decide I want one of them later. But I am seeing the new professor layton, which did appear in my quick picks today, in my not interested list.

So even marking something as not interested doesn't necessarily preclude it from your picks as I just got uncharted 2 in there the other day after checking "not interested" on that weeks ago.

You have a bizarre quick picks, because I've never had that problem. It's funny, but I'm doing the same today by removing Metal Gear Solid: Rising and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow from my not interested list. Before I had a full grasp of the system, I just eliminated everything from my recommendations that I wasn't specifically targeting at the time. Now that I'm more enlightened, I'm pre-ordering Halo Reach to get MGSR, which will then get me Castlevania. Should be an interesting couple of days.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#68 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

Edit: And to answer the question you were trying to answer Jodou, I can confirm that it does not rule out that other platform. I've had it happen with both Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno. Both appeared in my Quick Picks on one platform (PS3 in this instance) while their 360 counterparts were marked Not Interested.

Excellent, I'll add this to the FAQ. Thanks!

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#69 Drkirby

Drkirby

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:11 AM

Right now going though all my recommendations to try and get rid of a bunch of junk. Like I told it it to stop looking at the textbooks I bought and such. Here is what I got today if its of any use also:
Final Fantasy I & II Dawn of Souls
Wii Sports Resort
Metroid Prime Trilogy Collector's Edition
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

#70 Tomeeboy

Tomeeboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:42 AM

My Quick Picks were doing awesome on two different accounts and then they got stale. It went back to showing me complete junk that has nothing to do with my interests. I've tried tweaking my recommendations, owning/rating more items, etc.. but can't seem to get it back to where it was showing me 5 or 6 upcoming games per day. Then again, I did order most of them to lock in Goldbox + ECA, so maybe I've simply run out :)
Currently Playing: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 :360:, SWTOR :pc:, Random XBLA Games :360:

#71 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:53 AM

My Quick Picks were doing awesome on two different accounts and then they got stale. It went back to showing me complete junk that has nothing to do with my interests. I've tried tweaking my recommendations, owning/rating more items, etc.. but can't seem to get it back to where it was showing me 5 or 6 upcoming games per day. Then again, I did order most of them to lock in Goldbox + ECA, so maybe I've simply run out :)

You're correct, there comes a point where you simply will run out of games eligible to show up. The days where you get 5-6 games are because you've got a ton of stuff for it to build that list from. When you narrow down what you're after, it slows to 0-2 a day. I prefer getting want I'm after the next day rather than 5-6 games I don't want.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#72 flameofdoom666

flameofdoom666

3D Dot Game Link!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:24 AM

With Jodou's advice (I appreciate it!) I was cleaning up my recomendation. It was flooded with textbooks and such.

Many games I am interested in are available such as Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, and even Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story. The one game I really wanted to be there, Super Mario Bros Wii, isn't coming up! So frustrating!

#73 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:35 AM

With Jodou's advice (I appreciate it!) I was cleaning up my recomendation. It was flooded with textbooks and such.

Many games I am interested in are available such as Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, and even Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story. The one game I really wanted to be there, Super Mario Bros Wii, isn't coming up! So frustrating!

Ha, getting those started will be rough because they're all linked. What I mean is, if you order any one of those you should see the rest pop up the next day. My advice is to pre-order Super Mario Galaxy 2 for now and rate it. I can almost guarantee you will get one of the other three, if not all of them, the next day. Once you do, order them and cancel SMG2 so it can show up the day after. If it doesn't show up, I'll give you a free ECA account lulz!

Good luck mate!

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#74 flameofdoom666

flameofdoom666

3D Dot Game Link!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:39 AM

Ha, getting those started will be rough because they're all linked. What I mean is, if you order any one of those you should see the rest pop up the next day. My advice is to pre-order Super Mario Galaxy 2 for now and rate it. I can almost guarantee you will get one of the other three, if not all of them, the next day. Once you do, order them and cancel SMG2 so it can show up the day after. If it doesn't show up, I'll give you a free ECA account lulz!

Good luck mate!

Preordering on amazon.com isn't charged until the order is actually sent- right? So if I preorder Super Mario Galaxy 2, it won't even appear on the credit card- right?

#75 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:44 AM

Preordering on amazon.com isn't charged until the order is actually sent- right? So if I preorder Super Mario Galaxy 2, it won't even appear on the credit card- right?

You got it.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#76 unopepito06

unopepito06

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:01 AM

Okay... I think I'm going crazy. There seems to be one glaring problem that I can't overcome: I don't see "Quick Picks" anywhere! I go to the Gold Box page, the page linked in the very first part of the FAQ, this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

I see "Deal of the Day", then "Lightning Deals" to the right, featuring all the timed deals coming up today, then below that there's a horizontal scroll bar labled "Best Deals", and I can limit it to just video games, but that just gives me 4 crappy video game deals on a singstar mic and Spongebob. Then below that it just list a bunch of recent forum threads.

As it says in the FAQ -

I keep hearing about 'gold/quick picks'; what are people talking about?
This is refering to the Amazon Gold Box page which lists personal quick picks just below the gold box deals.

Looking just below the gold box deals and not seeing any "Quick Picks". Wtf. :bomb:

Ok, so maybe I'm lloking at the wrong thing; so I go to the top of the page and choose "recommendations". In the loaded window I choose "See all recommendation", which gives me this page

http://www.amazon.co...=pd_ys_tdy_recs

Then over on the left I limit the view to video games. Here I do see a bunch of games for pre-order, but there's no discount, they're all full price.

Good lord, it's been a long day. I know I'm doing something wrong, but I just followed the links and am just not seeing what I'm looking for. And I read the FAQ 3 times. Again, I think I'm going mad. Thanks in advance for any help.

#77 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

Looking for my padded cell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:57 AM

I'd caution you that they may have remove this for gold picks eligibility since it has not been seen in a while. There's no harm in trying save for having the locked in price of $66.99. I've been trying to do the same with Star Wars: TFU Sith Edition PS3 for a while now and it's just not eligible yet.

Cool. I'll just hold pat at my current price, which is still an awesome price, as its WELL worth it! Best JRPG this generation... easy.

Got my God of War Collection today. 8-)

BTW: SW: TFU, even in a new wrapper, isn't worth a whole big chunk of change....

#78 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:42 PM

Bingo, got Metal Gear Solid: Rising today! All too easy. ;)

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#79 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

Lost Planet 2 and WM+ for me today, both I added into my recommendations yesterday with a few ratings. Is that really ps3 only? Hm. Don't really want the game even for 50$ and so little uses WM+ right now, but it was half a test as well as stuff that I kinda want =P

Found out yesterday that resonance of fate was ps3 and 360 though, thought it was ps3 exclusive. Might have to get the 360 version in my quick picks, we'll see.

#80 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:56 PM

Okay... I think I'm going crazy. There seems to be one glaring problem that I can't overcome: I don't see "Quick Picks" anywhere! I go to the Gold Box page, the page linked in the very first part of the FAQ, this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

I see "Deal of the Day", then "Lightning Deals" to the right, featuring all the timed deals coming up today, then below that there's a horizontal scroll bar labled "Best Deals", and I can limit it to just video games, but that just gives me 4 crappy video game deals on a singstar mic and Spongebob. Then below that it just list a bunch of recent forum threads.

As it says in the FAQ -

I keep hearing about 'gold/quick picks'; what are people talking about?
This is refering to the Amazon Gold Box page which lists personal quick picks just below the gold box deals.

Looking just below the gold box deals and not seeing any "Quick Picks". Wtf. :bomb:

I've clarified the FAQ to include below Best Deals, as well. The only reason you should not be seeing your quick picks is because you're not logged in. If that's not the reason, try opening it in another browser. If it still isn't showing up, I'd contact Amazon technical help.

Ok, so maybe I'm lloking at the wrong thing; so I go to the top of the page and choose "recommendations". In the loaded window I choose "See all recommendation", which gives me this page

http://www.amazon.co...=pd_ys_tdy_recs

Then over on the left I limit the view to video games. Here I do see a bunch of games for pre-order, but there's no discount, they're all full price.

This is the area you will want to see games you're trying to get in your quick picks. Remove anything you're not interested in and if you follow the FAQ to a T, you should start seeing the games you do want.

Hope this helps!

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#81 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:00 PM

Found out yesterday that resonance of fate was ps3 and 360 though, thought it was ps3 exclusive. Might have to get the 360 version in my quick picks, we'll see.

Speaking of exclusives, I just found out Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is also not exclusive to the 360, but Amazon doesn't have a listing for the PS3. GameStop doesn't have a listing at all, so am I missing something? Anyone know if this game went exclusive?

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#82 Drkirby

Drkirby

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:06 PM

Maybe I overdid it on twiking my recommendations. Only thing listed today is Chrono Cross for $1 off :lol

I did try to put in a bunch of Info for Live Arcade games, I want to see if its possible to get one of them to show up in Quick Picks.

#83 Nirron

Nirron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:20 PM

Speaking of exclusives, I just found out Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is also not exclusive to the 360, but Amazon doesn't have a listing for the PS3. GameStop doesn't have a listing at all, so am I missing something? Anyone know if this game went exclusive?

They announced it as 360/PS3, so it's definitely still going to the PS3 Amazon has been doing this a lot oddly. They still have MGS: Rising listed with only the 360 version, where it's also headed to PS3 and PC.

On a Quick Pick note, I don't know why this happened, but they actually gave me a game I said I owned (Uncharted 2). I have like 15 games rated for Brutal Legend and Final Fantasy XIII, but somehow it has a bunch of Beatles stuff, Fossil Fighters (don't know WHERE that came from), and Uncharted 2.
Posted Image

#84 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:53 PM

They announced it as 360/PS3, so it's definitely still going to the PS3 Amazon has been doing this a lot oddly. They still have MGS: Rising listed with only the 360 version, where it's also headed to PS3 and PC.

Oh word, guess I'll cancel my 360 order once they list it.

On a Quick Pick note, I don't know why this happened, but they actually gave me a game I said I owned (Uncharted 2). I have like 15 games rated for Brutal Legend and Final Fantasy XIII, but somehow it has a bunch of Beatles stuff, Fossil Fighters (don't know WHERE that came from), and Uncharted 2.

Something is funky about Uncharted 2, since you're the second person to have this happen. As for Brutal Legend and FFXIII, they're not eligible to show up yet. I'm keeping an eye out for when they are and you guys will be the first to know.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#85 Nirron

Nirron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:58 PM

Interesting idea on the ineligible part. I guess quite a few are trying to get both to show up and having no luck, so that makes sense. I may just have to order Brutal Legend soon if that's the case, since I'm not sure when they cut off Release Date delivery. I just wonder why they'd flag those two games as ineligible, especially when one is just 1 month away.

Edit: Also, to add to your awesome list of eligibles on the first page, figure I'll give a couple (though I doubt many will care about one or two)

:ds: A Witch's Tale
:ps3: Modnation Racers
:ps3: Bayonetta
Posted Image

#86 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:58 PM

I've been getting fossil fighters a lot, or atleast I was, when trying for both ffxiii and brutal legend too.

#87 Raikoh

Raikoh

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:47 PM

This may be a stupid question, but how exactly did some of you guys get Mass Effect 2 in your gold box? I've added dragon age, fallout 3, and fable 2 as items I own, and it shows Mass Effect 2 in recommendations among other games, but I get NO games whatsoever in my gold box. I've even deleted all non-game recommendations to make sure.

#88 Nirron

Nirron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:53 PM

This may be a stupid question, but how exactly did some of you guys get Mass Effect 2 in your gold box? I've added dragon age, fallout 3, and fable 2 as items I own, and it shows Mass Effect 2 in recommendations among other games, but I get NO games whatsoever in my gold box. I've even deleted all non-game recommendations to make sure.

Have you tried doing any fake pre-orders (pre-ordering related items with no intent to purchase, cancelling after you get what you want)? Amazon seems to listen to your wallet more than anything.

Also, you can try adding more items that make ME2 recommended for you. I've been finding out which work and which don't by doing this:
1. Open quite a few pages for products under "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought"
2. Go to Your Browsing History and delete the game you want (ME2 in this case)
3. Go to Recommended For You and click on Browse Recommended
4. You should see the game you want listed there, and click on Fix This. Whatever games show up that you haven't rated or said you own, doing so should make the game more recommended.

Your account can also seem to stagnate. A few months ago, I hadn't bought games off Amazon for over 6 months, and it took my Quick Picks a while to get good games in there, namely after I had done quite a few fake pre-orders and made sure that I had rated quite a few games that related to what I wanted. Of course, it was far from instant. Amazon is a fancy lady; you can't just take her home the first night, but once you get the gates open and maintain them, it can go quite nicely.
Posted Image

#89 unopepito06

unopepito06

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:12 PM

Well, I tried opening the page in firefox, still no luck. I'm definitely signed in. Guess I will contact amazon as you suggested. Thanks for your help, man!

UPDATE: Alright, it showed up! I got 1 item - Ghostbusters blu-ray. I will now go do all the recommended suggestions in the FAQ to try to get some sweet deals, lol.

Edited by unopepito06, 13 September 2009 - 03:09 AM.

#90 Afflicted

Afflicted

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:25 PM

ok got

:ps3: ModNation Racers

in quick picks today...