Official Amazon Quick Picks FAQ - READ 1st POST

• Please log in to reply
1549 replies to this topic

#91 nintendofan9999

nintendofan9999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:00 AM

Does it have to be in the Today's recommendation? Or can it just be in what they recommend for the game's to possibly be in the quick picks?

#92 Nirron

Nirron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:40 AM

If you're talking about Today's Recommendations For You bar that appears after you click on the recommendations hyperlink at the top of the page, then those tend to be the same recommendations you get daily. In other words: those may reflect your recommendations, but they may not be what determines your Quick Picks

When you click the recommendations button, click on the tab that says "Recommended for You" (this link should take you there). The items there seem to be the determinant for Quick Picks.
Posted Image

#93 lllGurulll

lllGurulll

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:04 AM

This must be somewhat outdated. I have done all of this for the past week and I can't get anything in my box at all.
PSWii60 FTW!!!

#94 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:34 AM

:ds: A Witch's Tale
:ps3: Modnation Racers
:ps3: Bayonetta

ok got

:ps3: ModNation Racers

in quick picks today...

Nice find! Looks like brand spankin' new ones too, thanks.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#95 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:39 AM

UPDATE: Alright, it showed up! I got 1 item - Ghostbusters blu-ray. I will now go do all the recommended suggestions in the FAQ to try to get some sweet deals, lol.

Good luck. ;)

Does it have to be in the Today's recommendation? Or can it just be in what they recommend for the game's to possibly be in the quick picks?

You want them to be in your full recommendations list. Make sure to follow the link to 'see all recommendations' and you'll be there.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#96 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:46 AM

This must be somewhat outdated. I have done all of this for the past week and I can't get anything in my box at all.

Is the game(s) you're trying to get on our confirmed list? It's generally a big red flag that the game is ineligible for quick picks if you've done everything to a T and the game you want still isn't showing up. I can try to help you with more information.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#97 lllGurulll

lllGurulll

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:49 AM

trying to get Halo ODST and the god of war collection to show up. Others have done it but I just can't get it to go at all.
PSWii60 FTW!!!

#98 rgd2blck

rgd2blck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:10 AM

This thread has absolutely blown my mind. I came in here trying to figure out how to pre-order Demon's Souls for as cheaply as possible and I ended up learning so much I never knew. For YEARS I didn't understand why I was getting text books as my recommendations based on incredibly old purchases. THANK YOU Jodou and every contributor to this thread!

I am a little confused about the process of getting a game to show up in quick picks based on recommendations of games that aren't out yet. For example, I got Demon's Souls on my recommendations list by adding a couple games coming out in a few months to my shopping cart and "pre-ordering" another.

Would my chances of getting Demon's Souls to show up in my quick picks go up/down if I instead marked the games in my shopping cart as "owned" despite them not being out yet?

#99 Nirron

Nirron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:47 AM

Would my chances of getting Demon's Souls to show up in my quick picks go up/down if I instead marked the games in my shopping cart as "owned" despite them not being out yet?

It should go up if you pick the right games. For a lot of games, it would be tough to do without adding unreleased games. Amazon doesn't have any kind of logic filter; they just see that you own a game (and have it 5-star rated hopefully) that corresponds to a game that - *gasp* - you want. Heck, I've probably got about a half dozen games or more right now that I claim to own and rated 5 stars that don't even come out this year. Some don't even have release dates for next year, yet they all helped me to get some games in my Quick Picks.
Posted Image

#100 rgd2blck

rgd2blck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:34 AM

It should go up if you pick the right games. For a lot of games, it would be tough to do without adding unreleased games. Amazon doesn't have any kind of logic filter; they just see that you own a game (and have it 5-star rated hopefully) that corresponds to a game that - *gasp* - you want. Heck, I've probably got about a half dozen games or more right now that I claim to own and rated 5 stars that don't even come out this year. Some don't even have release dates for next year, yet they all helped me to get some games in my Quick Picks.

"Logic filter" was the phrase I was looking for! I didn't know if Amazon's brain would prefer to give me quick picks from my recommended games list based on unreleased games being in my shopping cart versus being marked as owned. Thanks for clearing that up!

#101 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:04 PM

Apparently they just added a ton of linking over at amazon. My recommendations page was somewhere in the 20's lastnight, and it more than tripled now with a ton of new games and ps3 hardware stuff.

Got psp gran tourismo, wii dead space extraction, ps3 fragfx controller then additional tmnt film collection on blu-ray and a star trek replica kit in my quick picks. Every single item appeared in my recommendations overnight, lol, as well as another 40 more I just deleted.

#102 Nirron

Nirron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:33 PM

My recommendations went from something around four to something like forty. Apparently they tied a hell of a lot of Lego-related games to New Super Mario Bros Wii, and stuff like Gran Turismo PSP.

On the bright side, my Gold Box today had Monado, Boy and his Blob, Resident Evil PSP, and a new one for the list:

:psp: Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines

Still no Brutal Legend or FF13 though :-(

I still have one ECA code I saved once I heard about the free membership, since I knew I was going to order Brutal Legend + at least two more orders before the 30th, so I guess if I don't see it in the next 12-14 days, I'll just go ahead and get Brutal Legend so I can ensure Release Date Delivery. I would miss the $2.85 Quick Pick savings, but I've already saved so much thanks in small part to my early detection of a few methods and thanks in large part to this thread :D

Edit: Oh man Jodou, you're getting me thinking about those games now. Those are probably my two biggest anticipated games of 2010 (or maybe 2011 if Rising doesn't make it) but I'm running out of games I want for Quick Picks, so I need those asap :-P I would e-mail them about it, but it seems a bit odd to e-mail a retailer that they're slow in putting up a pre-order for games that won't come out for a year or more. Guess I can get to work on trying to get the PSP version of LittleBigPlanet in my Gold Box.

Edited by Nirron, 13 September 2009 - 04:20 PM.

Posted Image

#103 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:38 PM

Apparently they just added a ton of linking over at amazon. My recommendations page was somewhere in the 20's lastnight, and it more than tripled now with a ton of new games and ps3 hardware stuff.

Got psp gran tourismo, wii dead space extraction, ps3 fragfx controller then additional tmnt film collection on blu-ray and a star trek replica kit in my quick picks. Every single item appeared in my recommendations overnight, lol, as well as another 40 more I just deleted.

I was just about to post this; I hate it when this happens overnight! What a waste of a quick picks, but they were all games (also got Gran Turismo PSP, as well as some old ass games). The least they could have done was add entries for Metal Gear Sold: Rising and Castlevania on PS3. :bomb:

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#104 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:31 PM

:psp: Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines

Added, thanks!

Edit: Oh man Jodou, you're getting me thinking about those games now. Those are probably my two biggest anticipated games of 2010 (or maybe 2011 if Rising doesn't make it) but I'm running out of games I want for Quick Picks, so I need those asap :-P I would e-mail them about it, but it seems a bit odd to e-mail a retailer that they're slow in putting up a pre-order for games that won't come out for a year or more. Guess I can get to work on trying to get the PSP version of LittleBigPlanet in my Gold Box.

Haha, yeah. Those games will eventually be added, but I'm getting them in my quick picks on 360 for now.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#105 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:43 PM

trying to get Halo ODST and the god of war collection to show up. Others have done it but I just can't get it to go at all.

I had Halo ODST at one point, because I fake pre-ordered Halo Reach (Batman: AA, MW2, and Uncharted 2 will also help get it in your quick picks) so definitely do that one today and you should get ODST tomorrow. God of War: Collection is super easy as well, just pre-order GoW III. Soon as you get the two you're after, just cancel the pre-orders. Also, click on fix this for both the games you're trying to get and unrate everything that shows up. Then go back and rate them 5-stars again. It sounds weird but it shakes up the list and gives Amazon a fresh look at what to give you.

Fingers crossed for ya mate!

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#106 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:48 PM

This thread has absolutely blown my mind. I came in here trying to figure out how to pre-order Demon's Souls for as cheaply as possible and I ended up learning so much I never knew. For YEARS I didn't understand why I was getting text books as my recommendations based on incredibly old purchases. THANK YOU Jodou and every contributor to this thread!

Thanks! The praise should go to many before me that discovered and pioneered the process. I'm simply passing along my knowledge and expertise in the matter.

I am a little confused about the process of getting a game to show up in quick picks based on recommendations of games that aren't out yet. For example, I got Demon's Souls on my recommendations list by adding a couple games coming out in a few months to my shopping cart and "pre-ordering" another.

At this time, nobody has spotted a Demon's Souls quick pick in a while, so your chances won't change right now. Soon as it becomes eligible, I'll comment on how to get it in your quick picks.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#107 gamer1233

gamer1233

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

I had Halo ODST at one point, because I fake pre-ordered Halo Reach (Batman: AA, MW2, and Uncharted 2 will also help get it in your quick picks) so definitely do that one today and you should get ODST tomorrow. God of War: Collection is super easy as well, just pre-order GoW III. Soon as you get the two you're after, just cancel the pre-orders. Also, click on fix this for both the games you're trying to get and unrate everything that shows up. Then go back and rate them 5-stars again. It sounds weird but it shakes up the list and gives Amazon a fresh look at what to give you.

Fingers crossed for ya mate!

Wait, so if I make a pre order for halo reach, you think odst will show up in my list tomorrow? The funny thing is I preordered ODST yesterday and reach is in my gold box today. Think I could still get odst to show up in my gold box by canceling my preorder for odst, then pre order reach?

#108 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

Wait, so if I make a pre order for halo reach, you think odst will show up in my list tomorrow? The funny thing is I preordered ODST yesterday and reach is in my gold box today. Think I could still get odst to show up in my gold box by canceling my preorder for odst, then pre order reach?

Definitely. Go cancel your ODST order now and it should show up for you tomorrow (don't forget to rate Reach and unrate ODST if you rated it)!

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#109 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:36 PM

If you cancel an order with something that has a goldbox discount, let's say after the day it appeared, is that discount gone for good unless you get it back in your quick picks? With eca codes out(though looks like more on the way), I'd love to consolidate orders sometimes but of course losing the additional 5% off wouldn't be better.

#110 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:44 PM

If you cancel an order with something that has a goldbox discount, let's say after the day it appeared, is that discount gone for good unless you get it back in your quick picks? With eca codes out(though looks like more on the way), I'd love to consolidate orders sometimes but of course losing the additional 5% off wouldn't be better.

The day after, the discount would not still be locked in. It sucks, especially since you can't put quick pick orders into one transaction.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#111 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:59 PM

It sucks, especially since you can't put quick pick orders into one transaction.

You mean over multiple days right? I am putting quick picks together from the same day.

#112 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:08 PM

You mean over multiple days right? I am putting quick picks together from the same day.

Can you get them all in your checkout with the discounted price at the same time? I assumed this was not possible.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#113 Nirron

Nirron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:09 PM

Can you get them all in your checkout with the discounted price at the same time? I assumed this was not possible.

It is. I did it today with four separate items (in one large order), all of which were in my Quick Picks. It was interesting to see, as I've never seen a Gold Box Discount that large before :-P

I just wish Amazon had something in place where, due to Quick Picks obviously occuring many times over several days, that if I place multiple orders, all having ECA codes applied, I should be able to combine them and then get the ECA code back from at least one order. Guess that's more an observation that struck me though rather than something actually pertinent to this thread, but we are talking about discounts and I dare not enter the wasteland of the ECA thread.
Posted Image

#114 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:15 PM

It is. I did it today with four separate items (in one large order), all of which were in my Quick Picks. It was interesting to see, as I've never seen a Gold Box Discount that large before :-P

Word, Amazon flat out lies that you can only have one discount per day then or it's a leftover rule. Thanks for clearing that up!

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#115 y2jasper

y2jasper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:56 PM

my gold box was overflowing with games today! too bad i either didn't want them, or didn't want to pay that much for them:

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)
Resonance of Fate (PS3)
Halo Reach (360)
Hero's Saga (DS)
Ace Attorny Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (DS)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (WII)
Earth Defense Force & Samurai Warriors 2 (360)
No More Heroes 2 (WII)

also had a strategy guide for episodes from liberty city. i'm expecting to have 2 weeks of no games no in order to even this out.

#116 gamer1233

gamer1233

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:57 PM

Definitely. Go cancel your ODST order now and it should show up for you tomorrow (don't forget to rate Reach and unrate ODST if you rated it)!

Ok just did those steps, will let you know how it goes for me. Thanks

#117 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:29 AM

Jodou, I open my deals page. For each quick pick I want, I right click the add to cart button and open in new tab(or window if your browser doesn't do tabs).

I DON'T THINK you can get more than 1 quick pick item normally, you have to like leave the original page open. Might be good to add in your faq to open new windows for everything they want to purchase for that day.

I just wish Amazon had something in place where, due to Quick Picks obviously occuring many times over several days, that if I place multiple orders, all having ECA codes applied, I should be able to combine them and then get the ECA code back from at least one order.

You can "combine" orders on your account page, but for whatever reason anything with free shipping isn't applicable. Since that's all I use I don't know the specifics of how combining works, tried the other day only to find out fsss wasn't supported with it.

Guess that's more an observation that struck me though rather than something actually pertinent to this thread, but we are talking about discounts and I dare not enter the wasteland of the ECA thread.

=P

#118 Drkirby

Drkirby

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:43 AM

Hey, maybe my efforts paid off. Amazon has added a bunch of new things to my recommendations (On top of the 150ish things left on the list when I went to bed last night), I'll have to go though it again later tonight. Its offering me some really odd things though since I said I said I owned a Kirby Plush, but it is right in that I do want that Metaknight one...

Here is my quick picks for today:
AR Tonelico: Melody of Elemia (5% off) [PS2]
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (10% off) [PS3]
King of Fighters 98: Ultimate Match (5% off) [PS2]

#119 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:52 AM

Yeah read back some posts, we all got a bunch of new stuff linked in our recommendations over night. Maybe by paying attention long enough we can find out how often they do this or a schedule. Sucks for some of us, like me, I had 5 quick picks ALL from my recommendations, but all new things that got in there over the night =P not things I hand picked.

#120 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:17 AM

Jodou, I open my deals page. For each quick pick I want, I right click the add to cart button and open in new tab(or window if your browser doesn't do tabs).

I DON'T THINK you can get more than 1 quick pick item normally, you have to like leave the original page open. Might be good to add in your faq to open new windows for everything they want to purchase for that day.

Oh, it's already in the FAQ but I didn't realize that you could get them all in the cart at the same time as well. I just assumed they had to be separate orders.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg