Official Amazon Quick Picks FAQ - READ 1st POST

• Please log in to reply
1549 replies to this topic

#1201 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

I've noticed that if you preorder any game, you will get other preorders in your quickpicks.

Today I got:

Otomedius Excellent

Golden Sun
Unchrated 2 GOTY

#1202 karatebear

karatebear

I'll Take The Deal!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:47 AM

I just checked my Quick Picks for the first time and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is there. I don't know if this has been posted but I thought I should mention it.
Posted Image

#1203 azngtlman

azngtlman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:07 PM

I finally got a video game today and it was Uncharted 3. Pre-ordered it anyway to get the slight discount, figured I'd get any promotional credits down the line added on anyway. So it's worth a shot.

#1204 Ardrid

Ardrid

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:22 AM

So after some extensive testing, I can conclude that: we're both right. Modern Warfare 3, for example would indeed cancel out other platforms if I marked even one of them not interested. However, when the new Oblivion anniversary games showed up in my recs, I was able to remove both PS3 and 360 without losing my recommendation for PC. Furthermore, it showed up in my quick picks immediately after. I will revise the OP to reflect that there is no longer safety in marking just one not interested and that you will need to test it yourself before removing recs.

I figured out what's going on, though I obviously can't explain why Amazon is doing it. Multiplatform games (or games with collector's editions) that Amazon allows to be selected from within the product page are the ones that get swept together when rated/checked off; multiplatform games that have individual product pages (of which I can't find many) can be rated/checked off without affecting the other platform SKUs.

For example:

Resident Evil: Raccoon City Operation

If you notice on the product page, you can select which platform you want. For whatever reason, games with that type of product page are the ones that are getting lumped together, in spite of their unique ASIN numbers.

Contrast that with:

Oblivion 5th Anniversary Ed.

You'll notice you can't select which platform you want from within the page, despite the fact that the Oblivion is obviously a multiplatform game. Because of that, if you indicate you're not interested in the 360 version, you'll still get the PS3/PC versions in your recommendations/quick picks.

Why Amazon changed the way they do things is beyond me, but at least we know which games we can now safely rate/check off without impacting the other SKUs.

sig.gif

Video Game Spending Tabs: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

#1205 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

Ah, that makes sense now. I've cited your post in the OP and updated it once again.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#1206 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

You tell me where to be

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

Got today:

:psp: Persona 2: Innocent Sin
:ps3: No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise
:wii: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo Selects)

Ryuukishi634.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#1207 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:01 PM

So I've had one person claim they got PSV wi-fi in their picks the other day. I tried desperately to get it this morning but failed. I can't get it in my recs no matter what I do, so just a heads up because I'd imagine this would get taken off the list pretty quick once Amazon finds out (if it hasn't already).

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#1208 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:21 PM

I got ico/SOTC went ahead and ordered it. $37.04

#1209 Ardrid

Ardrid

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:07 AM

So I've had one person claim they got PSV wi-fi in their picks the other day. I tried desperately to get it this morning but failed. I can't get it in my recs no matter what I do, so just a heads up because I'd imagine this would get taken off the list pretty quick once Amazon finds out (if it hasn't already).

Same here. Tried everything possible to manipulate my quick picks with no success. Whoever got it got extremely lucky by the looks of it.

#1210 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

Got the 3G/wifi PSV in my recs today, but no dice on a pick. Either it only works for the wifi system or they took them off the list quick. Getting $15-20 off at launch would have been amazing.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#1211 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:05 PM

Twisted Metal 56.99
White Knight II 56.99

#1212 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:10 AM

where is the 'rate this item' section step 2 outlines that your suposed to click on. It says:
". Visit each game's product page and scroll down until you see a section 'Rate This Item to Improve Your Recommendations'. Tell Amazon that you own it and give it five stars for good measure"

but i dont see that anywhere. Im actually trying to get the new Fruits basket dvd set in my box, but when i click on the recomended links (like fruits basket viridian collection) i dont see this option anywhere

#1213 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

Looking for my padded cell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

Got two games today...

:ps3: Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One
:360: Transformers: Dark of the Moon

#1214 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

where is the 'rate this item' section step 2 outlines that your suposed to click on. It says:
". Visit each game's product page and scroll down until you see a section 'Rate This Item to Improve Your Recommendations'. Tell Amazon that you own it and give it five stars for good measure"

but i dont see that anywhere. Im actually trying to get the new Fruits basket dvd set in my box, but when i click on the recomended links (like fruits basket viridian collection) i dont see this option anywhere

You're right, they removed it. There's a new way to do it but requires doing a search, so it's added step now. I'll update the OP with the new system. Good catch.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#1215 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:52 PM

Today I got:

The Last Guardian

#1216 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

You're right, they removed it. There's a new way to do it but requires doing a search, so it's added step now. I'll update the OP with the new system. Good catch.

Tnx Jodou, i'll check the update. One question btw. Today i somehow wound up with a bunch of screwed up stuff in my gold box deals A coffee pot, and junk like that. When i browsed around in 'recommendations' i noticed it was linked because of kingdom hearts re:coded' o_O i guess sometimes stuff is linked randomly like that? I only had like 2 games, everything else was nonsense links

I was actually wondering if theres an easy way to get rid of bad picks straight from the gold box page? A 'fix this recommendation' thing or something. I dont seem to see one. I think the only way might be to actually go to the recommendations page and manually hunt it down and delete it? Thats a huge pain since i have hundreds of them. Plus it doesn't seem to indicate what item brought it up. I need to see why todays pick was so jacked up

Edited by Kenshindono, 12 June 2011 - 09:57 PM.

#1217 Ardrid

Ardrid

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:59 PM

Just got :ps3: Metro: Last Light

sig.gif

Video Game Spending Tabs: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

#1218 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:29 AM

Tnx Jodou, i'll check the update. One question btw. Today i somehow wound up with a bunch of screwed up stuff in my gold box deals A coffee pot, and junk like that. When i browsed around in 'recommendations' i noticed it was linked because of kingdom hearts re:coded' o_O i guess sometimes stuff is linked randomly like that? I only had like 2 games, everything else was nonsense links

I was actually wondering if theres an easy way to get rid of bad picks straight from the gold box page? A 'fix this recommendation' thing or something. I dont seem to see one. I think the only way might be to actually go to the recommendations page and manually hunt it down and delete it? Thats a huge pain since i have hundreds of them. Plus it doesn't seem to indicate what item brought it up. I need to see why todays pick was so jacked up

I don't think there is a way to correct that other than checking do not use this for recommendations. I always get cat food and litter because I buy RPGs. I hate cats.

EDIT:

Got FF Versus XIII 56.99
Resistance 3 56.99
Uncharted GOTY 26.59

#1219 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:33 PM

Your first question is actually answered in the maintenance section and the second one you can do on your recommendations page. It's called exactly what you wanted, so you should see it right away. Keep in mind anything you mark 'don't use for recommendations' might kill some legit games popping up, too. Unless you bought some cat food or something, it's better to just mark the items you don't want as not interested. Again, this is all covered in the OP.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#1220 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:13 AM

hmm tnx guys. Is there a way to see why an item was put into your goldbox quick pick? I.E. the 'recommended because you bought..' page? I cant find it straight off the item. I have a second day of absolute shit. With a bunch of webber grill stuff for no reason. And 1 anime dvd, thats it. Im flabbergasted as ive ordered nothing but anime, games and artbooks for the past few months. I even went in over 200 items into the recommendations page and did NOT see the grill items or what prompted them to show up

isn't there a way to see what the heck recommended the garbage you dont want? Like i said i tried digigng in the recommendation page, but over 200 items in i still saw nothing. Is that the only way? If so my list will probably be ruined for a long time. Ive gotten unrelated crap for 2 days in a row now. It seems kindom hearts re: coded was adding a lot of random stuff, but not the latest grill items. Id really like to know what put the garbage on my list and get it the hell off. I would find it strange if they didn't put a way to do that with easier access

#1221 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

Looking for my padded cell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:05 AM

hmm tnx guys. Is there a way to see why an item was put into your goldbox quick pick? I.E. the 'recommended because you bought..' page? I cant find it straight off the item. I have a second day of absolute shit. With a bunch of webber grill stuff for no reason. And 1 anime dvd, thats it. Im flabbergasted as ive ordered nothing but anime, games and artbooks for the past few months. I even went in over 200 items into the recommendations page and did NOT see the grill items or what prompted them to show up

No, but its a feature i wish was there.... You pretty much have to go through your recommendation page(s) till you find it...

Note: sometimes you have more than what Amazon will show you. Keep clearing till you see less pages than the max

Note 2: Sometime, but not often, you can see what the hang up by going to the offending item page and looking at what other people bought... Maybe one of those purchases is close to something you bought.

No games for me today... but I've been working on other things so and I got a bunch of them today. :D

#1222 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

ungh tnx INMATEofARKHAM.. that is REALLY dumb that theres no way to directly remove or see what caused a quick pick. I have another bs pick today. All random stuff that means nothing. stuff like Shany Professional Cosmetic Brush Set with Pouch..., and King Kooker 36JR Stainless-Steel 36-Hole Jalapeno Rack with Corer!

WTF! i tried your trick of clicking on the offending item and looking but i see absolutely nothing that i bought in the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" page. Im actually pretty damn annoyed right now since i spent 30-40 minutes the other night sorting through the recomendations page as suggested on the main page and clicked 'do not want' on tons of stuff. I even found 2 strange offendors that seemed to be adding grill items and other weird stuff: Dead space 2 collectors edition, and kingdom hearts Re:coded so if anyone bought those recently watch out

i just removed those two entirely and im still getting these weird things? I went through over 500 pages worth of crap! this is WAY too time consuming. Why doesn't Amazon streamline this? I cant even find a way to do a search on the recommendations page, unless its in the 'rate these items page' there appears to be no search page. That is a HUGE pain since you cant do a 'fix this recommendation' from there. The only option is to manually pan over hundreds of pages of items and check each one for linkage. Honestly this whole system seems like a complete mess the more i try to actually use it

Blea i think i may just give up. I read the first page and tried my damndest to get Fruits basket LE in my cart
http://www.amazon.co...08083710&sr=1-2

but even clicking i own it and rating 5 stars to just about everything in the 'people who bought this' tab has NOT put it in my recomended page. Yet im getting kitchen stuff, and grills, and even cosmetic garbage that doesn't appear to have ANY linkage to the items im buying? Im really flabbergasted

#1223 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

Quick Picks manipulating is not a science, try not to get too frustrated as you may never get the item you seek. Its just the way it is
Posted Image

#1224 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

Blea i think i may just give up. I read the first page and tried my damndest to get Fruits basket LE in my cart
http://www.amazon.co...08083710&sr=1-2

The caveat to gaming the system like this is your item just might not be eligible. No matter how hard you try, if Amazon doesn't have it on their list then it will never show up. We've proven this with items like game systems. If it still doesn't pop up in a few days, then there's nothing you can do unfortunately.

I will work my magic and see if I can't get it tomorrow and then tell you how.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#1225 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

You tell me where to be

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:57 PM

that is REALLY dumb that theres no way to directly remove or see what caused a quick pick.

*snip*

Why doesn't Amazon streamline this? I cant even find a way to do a search on the recommendations page, unless its in the 'rate these items page' there appears to be no search page. That is a HUGE pain since you cant do a 'fix this recommendation' from there. The only option is to manually pan over hundreds of pages of items and check each one for linkage. Honestly this whole system seems like a complete mess the more i try to actually use it

I think you're kind of missing the point. Amazon does not want it to be easy or convenient for us to manipulate the Quick Picks to get exactly what we want, when we want it. They are trying to spur impulse purchases on random items that you might be interested in. It's not supposed to just be a free 5% discount on any item you pick and choose. It makes sense for them to make manipulation unwieldy and unreliable, to the extent that it's possible at all.

Ryuukishi634.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#1226 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:26 PM

Well Kenshin, the bad news is I couldn't even get the item you want in my recs. I spent half an hour toying with a few pre-orders and just marking stuff as owned, but your DVD never showed up. Then I tried using an alt account just in case I had ever marked it not interested; no dice. The reason you're getting junk is likely because you don't have any recent purchases, your recs simply have too many items, or it's just plain luck of the draw. I made it very clear that you're never guaranteed anything, but that these methods are proven to work (when the item is eligible).

Bottom line is it doesn't look like what you wanted is eligible, but now that you're experience with picks it may help you get something in the future. Best of luck, friend.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#1227 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:45 AM

The caveat to gaming the system like this is your item just might not be eligible. No matter how hard you try, if Amazon doesn't have it on their list then it will never show up. We've proven this with items like game systems. If it still doesn't pop up in a few days, then there's nothing you can do unfortunately.

I will work my magic and see if I can't get it tomorrow and then tell you how.

Ahhhhh, i see. I wasn't aware of that, i thought just about anything could be made to go in the list. Its possible this item just wont go no matter what. .. and as i see from your follow up post it seems that thats the case =(

Well Kenshin, the bad news is I couldn't even get the item you want in my recs. I spent half an hour toying with a few pre-orders and just marking stuff as owned, but your DVD never showed up. Then I tried using an alt account just in case I had ever marked it not interested; no dice. The reason you're getting junk is likely because you don't have any recent purchases, your recs simply have too many items, or it's just plain luck of the draw. I made it very clear that you're never guaranteed anything, but that these methods are proven to work (when the item is eligible).

Bottom line is it doesn't look like what you wanted is eligible, but now that you're experience with picks it may help you get something in the future. Best of luck, friend.

Ya thank you for trying, i do appreciate it. It appears i can not get that item. The thing im concerned about now is why im getting garbage that is not game or BD/DVD related. As to why im getting such random crap as grill items, makeup, ect.. hmm Its not for lack of purchases. Ive bought 23 different items this month so far alone. All games and anime dvds. I suppose my rec list is rather large, but i didn't see any of the crazy stuff when i dove over 500 items deep into it. Should i go in and just click 'do not want' on most of those? The thing is i MIGHT want them at some point. I'll try to go clean it up a bit. If i click 'i already own this' will that add even more stuff to the list though? Thanks again for taking the time to double check on that item btw. Saves me the time of messing with it myself any more. Id still really want to get rid of the screwy pics im getting though

I think you're kind of missing the point. Amazon does not want it to be easy or convenient for us to manipulate the Quick Picks to get exactly what we want, when we want it. They are trying to spur impulse purchases on random items that you might be interested in. It's not supposed to just be a free 5% discount on any item you pick and choose. It makes sense for them to make manipulation unwieldy and unreliable, to the extent that it's possible at all.

Im not even asking them to let us manipulate it to get the exact item we want when we want it. Though that is nice. Im asking them to make it easier to get rid of garbage we DONT want. Like i said, for two days in a row now ive gotten nonsensical BBQ items and cosmetics, and tools and junk in my box. I have no idea why as theres no way to verify what item caused it the way its layed out right now. The only method is going into the recommendations page and going item by item to try to see if something is linked to it, which takes forever. They really need to have a search option in there, or at the very least let you see the offending item, or remove items that are way off on the quick pick page. Maybe i'll get tampons in my box tomorow at this rate o_O

My only guess is that maybe for fathers day some screwed up stuff got thrown in there, but i removed the 2 biggest offenders. Kingdom hearts RE:coded, and Dead space 2

#1228 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:10 AM

just a heads up because i saw it mentioned earlier in the thread but i was going through and cleaning out my list of recomendations, and i DO see the vita wifi listed there. I think theres 2 versions so i dont know which one this is (just says PlayStation Vita - WiFi) So looks like its still being added. I didn't have time to go through any E3 junk last week so i dont even know wtf this thing is or what the 2 versions are =P guess i better start looking it up

#1229 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:31 PM

Yep, I've had the Wi-fi model in my recs for about 3 days now but it refuses to pop up in my picks. Guess Amazon caught it after the first day of people getting it. :\

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#1230 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

Usually I get a day of junk (non-gaming stuff) after I go through my recommendations. The next day it usually goes back to games.