Official Amazon Quick Picks FAQ - READ 1st POST

• Please log in to reply
1549 replies to this topic

#241 craven_fiend

craven_fiend

It Gives You Wings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

Nothing doing again today. Going through my recs, and its taking forever. Any way to just wipe them and start over?
Posted Image

#242 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:49 PM

The "fix this" link, if something is being used that you don't want used at all. If it's just that a few video game ratings/purchases are making TOO many other games and items appear, then no, you just gotta go through and get rid of each thing you don't want in there manually.

#243 craven_fiend

craven_fiend

It Gives You Wings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:57 PM

The "fix this" link, if something is being used that you don't want used at all. If it's just that a few video game ratings/purchases are making TOO many other games and items appear, then no, you just gotta go through and get rid of each thing you don't want in there manually.

Thanks. I was afraid of that. I've knocked about 200 items from my recs and have about 1400 left to go through. I think that may be why there is so much disparity in my picks. Though I really only have media related recs, but somehow get crap in my Quick Picks.
Posted Image

#244 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:06 PM

?!?!?!?!? 1400? It's all gaming related? How many games HAVE you rated? After buying like 12 now through pre-ordering and rating/i own around another dozen, my entire not interested list is at about 500. I guess if you're hardcore trying to get games for every console and pc listed that could bump it up, I've mainly been focused on 360/ps3.

#245 craven_fiend

craven_fiend

It Gives You Wings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:12 PM

?!?!?!?!? 1400? It's all gaming related? How many games HAVE you rated? After buying like 12 now through pre-ordering and rating/i own around another dozen, my entire not interested list is at about 500. I guess if you're hardcore trying to get games for every console and pc listed that could bump it up, I've mainly been focused on 360/ps3.

Not 1500 recommends for games, but overall. I generally get recommends for toys, books, computer storage (not sure why), and movies, along with games. I think I really went overboard on some stuff.
Posted Image

#246 TruthinessFC

TruthinessFC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:49 PM

I've gotten :ps3: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and :ps2: Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection in my quick picks in the last week or so.

Despite that success, I can't seem to get Demon's Souls, MW2, FFXIII, or Versus to show up despite all of them being on the first page of my recommendations list. :cold:

Now Playing
:ps3: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
:pc: Dota 2, Diablo III: RoS, Heroes of the Storm

:wiiu: Mario Kart 8

#247 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:55 PM

Not 1500 recommends for games, but overall. I generally get recommends for toys, books, computer storage (not sure why), and movies, along with games. I think I really went overboard on some stuff.

All that stuff just for tie-in to video game purchases? You're sure everything else is marked as "do not use for recommendations"?

As for the last poster, Versus has shown up. DS deluxe hasn't for awhile and I haven't read about people getting XIII either. I think MW2 is MIA on quick picks as well.

#248 craven_fiend

craven_fiend

It Gives You Wings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:56 PM

This is some of the crap I get daily on the Quick Picks

http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_ys_iyr59

http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_ys_iyr60
Posted Image

#249 craven_fiend

craven_fiend

It Gives You Wings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:06 PM

All that stuff just for tie-in to video game purchases? You're sure everything else is marked as "do not use for recommendations"?

Not really, just wanting a broad range of media (books, games, and movies) in my quick picks. Then suddenly, I get craptastic stuff like my previous posts.
Posted Image

#250 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:06 PM

Not really, just wanting a broad range of media (books, games, and movies) in my quick picks. Then suddenly, I get craptastic stuff like my previous posts.

Thing is, you need to be focused on what you want or else you'll get junk day after day. When I tried just having a general range of items for it to put in my picks, I'd have little to no success the first day after and then nothing for weeks. I finally figured out that if I wanted something the next day, I'd need to go after it specifically and hard. I've completely abandoned just owning/rating stuff and instead only make pre-orders then rate them. I always try to make sure I have three games ordered that will recommend what I'm after.

I want to say that after even one day, all your efforts the day before are reset. However, there are bursts where Amazon will update their recommendations and you will get a bunch of games (that you generally don't want). I've found this usually happens over the weekend in the early morning.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#251 Tech Star

Tech Star

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:22 AM

How do you guys get the 5% discount on the games in your recommendations? I click on: "We have recommendations for you" and then I place it in my cart its still $56.99 and no discount is applied.
Posted Image

#252 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:13 AM

It's not recommendations, it's the quick picks on the bottom of the "today's deals" page.

#253 craven_fiend

craven_fiend

It Gives You Wings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:48 AM

Thing is, you need to be focused on what you want or else you'll get junk day after day. When I tried just having a general range of items for it to put in my picks, I'd have little to no success the first day after and then nothing for weeks. I finally figured out that if I wanted something the next day, I'd need to go after it specifically and hard. I've completely abandoned just owning/rating stuff and instead only make pre-orders then rate them. I always try to make sure I have three games ordered that will recommend what I'm after.

I want to say that after even one day, all your efforts the day before are reset. However, there are bursts where Amazon will update their recommendations and you will get a bunch of games (that you generally don't want). I've found this usually happens over the weekend in the early morning.

Alright. I'll go back through and get the preorders I am looking for and nothing else in my recommends and see what happens over the next few days.
Posted Image

#254 y2jasper

y2jasper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:47 AM

hm does anyone know a easy way to uncheck something i've put down as "not interested"? because the only way i can figure out is to go to improve your recommendations and then go through the list of items i've marked as not interested. problem is that i have almost 2000 items there, so its a real hassle to find a game i get interested in later. for example, at the moment i read previews of Crackdown 2, and it piqued my interest, but now i'm going to have to dig through all these items to find it in this huge list.

edit: i found it, it was only item number 1453 :cry:

Edited by y2jasper, 20 September 2009 - 08:08 AM.

#255 craven_fiend

craven_fiend

It Gives You Wings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:58 PM

hm does anyone know a easy way to uncheck something i've put down as "not interested"? because the only way i can figure out is to go to improve your recommendations and then go through the list of items i've marked as not interested. problem is that i have almost 2000 items there, so its a real hassle to find a game i get interested in later. for example, at the moment i read previews of Crackdown 2, and it piqued my interest, but now i'm going to have to dig through all these items to find it in this huge list.

edit: i found it, it was only item number 1453 :cry:

May have actually been easier to go to the game page and check you own it and highest level of interest.

So I narrowed my recommends down to a nice low number, in the 20s or 30s. I get a lot of stuff that I want today, but it just happens to be mainly DVDs. I did get Nostalgia and Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, but the rest were all tv series, which is still cool.
Posted Image

#256 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:03 PM

Amazon is playing hard to get with GoW:C, so I'm experimenting with multiple orders now. I already have GoW III, TLG, and Heavy Rain pre-ordered with the gold box discount so rather than cancel those to get one game, I'm ordering them again. This should go a long way towards proving whether or not quick picks are based on the most recent purchases or not.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#257 Nirron

Nirron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:28 PM

Amazon is playing hard to get with GoW:C, so I'm experimenting with multiple orders now. I already have GoW III, TLG, and Heavy Rain pre-ordered with the gold box discount so rather than cancel those to get one game, I'm ordering them again. This should go a long way towards proving whether or not quick picks are based on the most recent purchases or not.

Good luck good sir. I've had it show up once or twice (as I keep going schizophrenic over whether to ACTUALLY keep it or not) but it almost seems random compared to my efforts. I'm currently having the same problem with Dante's Inferno - one of the games I mentioned earlier that apparently had no ECA code applied to it.

Good luck in your pursuit, solely in the name of SCIENCE.
Spoiler

Posted Image

#258 namster1337

namster1337

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

Finally got Halo 3 ODST! Also got Scribblenauts.
Now to get Amazon to apply the HALOODST promotion :D

#259 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:35 PM

Damnit amazon, thinking about uncharted 2 now. I wasn't going to get it before, I liked the first game but I doubt I'll play the MP of the second, but they just added another 5$ off next video game purchase to it. I guess I'll order if it shows up in my goldbox. Judging by the first game, I won't EVER get the second one for sub 30 for a very long time anyway, even used.

#260 Jerkapotamus

Jerkapotamus

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:22 PM

Something really strange happened today. Both GT5 and Uncharted 2 appeared in my Gold Box today despite the fact that I've had them both pre-ordered from previous Gold Boxes. I checked my orders and they're both still listed. I was under the impression that this wasn't possible.

#261 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:59 PM

Usually isn't possible. Uncharted 2 is now notorious for showing up when it shouldn't.

#262 y2jasper

y2jasper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:04 PM

May have actually been easier to go to the game page and check you own it and highest level of interest.

but if i did this won't it not show up in my goldbox anyway?

also was kind of surprised since it showed up in my quick picks today, after i just added it to my recommendations last night.

#263 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:16 PM

. . .they just added another 5$ off next video game purchase to it.

Haha, nice! This brings my total to $33.63 w/ free release date shipping after all the discounts! Amazon rocks!

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#264 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

Something really strange happened today. Both GT5 and Uncharted 2 appeared in my Gold Box today despite the fact that I've had them both pre-ordered from previous Gold Boxes. I checked my orders and they're both still listed. I was under the impression that this wasn't possible.

It does happen, but it's rare and usually only select games.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#265 LBJC

LBJC

Lvl99; CAG+100

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:47 PM

I keep getting crap, no games in Quick picks. Any remedy or do I just have to hold out a day or 2 for games to start showing. Its so annoying.

#266 Spoit

Spoit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:57 PM

Bah, I also want to order Uncharted 2 now that the $5 deal was anounced, but my gold box just went to crap with a whole bunch of random junk. Fake preordered R&C and AC2, and I'm getting things like twilight and a toaster

#267 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:09 PM

I got Halo ODST in my quick picks a few days ago, added to my cart, but didn't order. Will I ever get it in there again?

sig.gif

#268 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:15 AM

I keep getting crap, no games in Quick picks. Any remedy or do I just have to hold out a day or 2 for games to start showing. Its so annoying.

I need more information to give advice.

Bah, I also want to order Uncharted 2 now that the $5 deal was anounced, but my gold box just went to crap with a whole bunch of random junk. Fake preordered R&C and AC2, and I'm getting things like twilight and a toaster

Try adding Demon's Souls: Deluxe Edition to that mix.

I got Halo ODST in my quick picks a few days ago, added to my cart, but didn't order. Will I ever get it in there again?

It can appear again, but it's probably not worth the risk of missing out on the $15 back + $5 in MP3s + the exclusive DLC code. If you're hellbent on trying to get it, then make fake pre-orders for Halo Reach, Assassin's Creed 2, and MW2 for the 360. Make sure you remove ODST from your cart and rate the pre-orders 5-stars. GL!

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#269 craven_fiend

craven_fiend

It Gives You Wings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:25 PM

Only got 4 things today. However, they're all games.

Magna Carta 2 (XBox 360)
Halo Reach
Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road (DS)
Phantasy Star Portable (PSP)

Anyone had any luck with Dragon Age CE or Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition?
Posted Image

#270 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:48 PM

Well I'm stumped with GoW:C. It refuses to show up and I'm plum out of ideas, so I'm going to let my picks sit and reboot. Pretty sure people are still reporting it as showing up, so I've ruled that out and I've personally already had it in my picks once (canceled it because it's no fun having nothing to work towards).

Dragon Age hasn't been spotted yet and Fallout has only shown up in my recommendations IIRC.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg