King of the Hill Series Finale: 9/13

Mr. Beef

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
19700.jpg

Tomorrow night at 8 PM, King of the Hill ends its 12-year run with a one hour series finale. Afterwards, the 8:30 timeslot will go to "The Cleveland Show." FOX originally ordered 6 more episodes, but will only be airing the following two for the finale. The others will be shown (eventually) in syndication, possibly on Adult Swim.

8:00 PM: "The Boy Can't Help It"
Bobby becomes quite the ladies' man when several girls in his class consider him a potential date for the Homecoming dance. When he realizes the girls are just playing with his emotions and are not really that interested, he asks his pal Connie to the dance.

8:30: "To Sirloin With Love"
Bobby's new found passion for judging the quality of meat brings the Hill men closer as they bond as father and son for the first time.

I'm really going to miss this show. I've watched from beginning to end, and it's sad to see it go, especially to "The Cleveland Show."

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a real series finale? I heard Mike Judge on NPR saying that the last time they thought they were cancelled they wrote an episode that wrapped things up but they had to rewrite it after Fox picked the show back up.

I think there were six episodes made (including the two mentioned), but they finally decided to not renew it. The unaired episodes are eventually going to be aired in syndication.

'bout time!

I hold a grudge against King of the Hill since it forced the end of Married with Children

the show died to me once they killed off cotton he was one of the funniest characters they had not to mention i never got why they didnt do a follow up of hanks japanese brother like having him come to texas. the older episodes come on cn still so i wont miss it too much.

[quote name='lokizz']the show died to me once they killed off cotton he was one of the funniest characters they had not to mention i never got why they didnt do a follow up of hanks japanese brother like having him come to texas. the older episodes come on cn still so i wont miss it too much.[/QUOTE]
I think that was one of the things they did (Cotton dying) to tie up the series. Then they found out that they were going to keep going for another year or two.

I have no issue with King of the Hill ending. It sucks that we're not seeing a proper end (unless the four episodes are going to be a proper end) What I have an issue with is The Cleaveland Show being the replacement. What a horrible, shitty replacement for KotH.

[quote name='Rocko']I didn't even know Fox ordered more episodes. I thought the show was done.

Huh.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought I remembered reading a topic like this one last year...

It's not surprising (I expected as such eventually with Cotton's death that one season), but it is a shame that such a great show is ending. Why not stop American Dad or something instead? Hell, next thing we know, the Simpsons will end somehow and the 8-10 block will be nothing but Seth MacFarlane shows.

There was a toy collectables show in San Antonio awhile back and Jonathan Joss, who does the voice of John Redcorn, was saying that they were hoping and pushing to possibly get a spot for KOTH to comeback on ABC since they were trying to aim for a animated series. If I remember correctly The Goode Family was done to test the waters.

[quote name='JStryke']It's not surprising (I expected as such eventually with Cotton's death that one season), but it is a shame that such a great show is ending. Why not stop American Dad or something instead? Hell, next thing we know, the Simpsons will end somehow and the 8-10 block will be nothing but Seth MacFarlane shows.[/QUOTE]

Really it's just 1 McFarlane show.

American Dad is really just a rip-off of Family Guy with different characters, but similar roles.

The Cleveland show will be shit. How long will it really last? One season? I just don't see it being very good and it will probably have the same old Family Guy/ American Dad humor that got Family Guy cancelled once already.

The thing about Cartoon Network is that they have already started repeating episodes of King of the Hill, just like they do Family Guy, (TBS is even worse). I figure they only have rights to certain seasons or something, since DVD collections are still selling and by making it all available for "free" no one would buy the discs.

Give it a few years and if Mike Judge wants to keep it alive, someone will bring it back, just like Futurama (and to a lesser extent Ren & Stimpy).

I'd watch the Cleveland Show over KOTH, I'm sure I'll get more laughs out of 1 episode than 1 season of KotH.

Someone really need to pay the Invader Zim guys a ton of money for their genius and bring it back.

………………_„-,-~~::::::':::::::::~-,~„
…………._,-:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::-„
……,,,..,-'::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
………,-'::::::::::::„:„„-~-~--'~-'~--~-~--~--~„:,'
……..,'::::::::::,~: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : '-|
……..|::::::::,-': : : : : : : : - -~''¯¯-„: : : : : :\
……..|::::::::|: : : : : : : : : _„„--~~-„: : : : : '|
……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~~~'''-„…_..„~'''''''¯¯|¯",
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|¯¯''|: ~---„_: |¯¯|
……..,~-,_/: : : |: :(o___ ): : |: : : :|:(o___): \.. |
……../,'-,: : : : : -,_______,-: : : : -„______\-'
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :whistle2:,: : : : : :\
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :: : ¯~~: ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :|
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: : : | ---------------- Dang it, Fox!
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :whistle2:------~: : : : : |
…………..|: :-,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :|
…………..',: : :-, : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ,'
……………| : : : : : : : : :_ : : : : : : : : : : ,-'
……………|: : : : : : : : : : '~----------~: :,'
…………._|: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :|
……….„-. '-,_: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ,'
……,-. . . . . ~-„_: : : : : : : : : : : : :,--„

Yeah, we need ASCII Hank.

If you watch the episode where Luanne gets married, it's pretty clear Judge wanted to end the series right then. All the secondary characters are attending (you see Duly, Dale's dad, etc), Cotton rehashes one of his first lines ("Mr. Kahn, I'll have a Mai Tai."), and the four guys gather at the fence for a beer to talk about "the enormity of it all." It's overwhelmingly clear that it was meant to seal everything up.

Then Fox asked for more episodes to be made. This is why they had Cotton killed off, amongst other small things.

I'm just glad the series gets a final ending point. It's a shame Fox doesn't understand anything about their own shows, but that's never stopped them before. So I'll be watching the finale and be happy with that.

Really, I just want the final seasons to be put on DVD. Why they won't do that bothers me to no end - I'm thinking the recent shift to Adult Swim has given the show a bit more broad appeal, so now would be the best time to do so. Oh well.

I couldn't really get into the Goode Family, but I had the same reaction with KoTH came out way back when. So I'll give it another shot, assuming the Wiki is right in claiming it will return on another network, since ABC has canceled it. ABC might be the only other network with a worse reputation with animated shows than Fox.

Mostly I just hate seeing so much change over time. No more KoTH, Cartoon Network is shifting away from cartoons, Syfy. Everything is just imploding under the weight of a bunch of idiots demanding that people want more reality shows since they cost so little to make.

What the fuck FOX.

Canceling the greatest show in their little cartoon lineup? Dumb move. Well.. probably not the best show, but I'm pretty damned sure that King of the Hill has a ton of loyal watchers (I know I'm one). I fucking love this show and I was hella pissed when I heard they were cutting it this season. If you ordered 6 episodes, might as well show the rest and give it the proper finale it deserves. I'll probably not be watching Fox anymore 'side for the occasional Simpson's episodes because I'm not a huge fan of Family Guy or any of the other shows.

Damn it, Fox.

[quote name='JolietJake']I always hated the show. I never got why watching a bunch of dumb rednecks was funny.[/QUOTE]

because its real in a fake kind of way. theyre al just avg people dealing with normal and sometimes not so normal things. its basically the oposite of the simpsons.

[quote name='Strell']Really, I just want the final seasons to be put on DVD. Why they won't do that bothers me to no end - I'm thinking the recent shift to Adult Swim has given the show a bit more broad appeal, so now would be the best time to do so. Oh well.[/QUOTE]
I'd love to have the rest of the series on DVD, but Fox's change to being as cheap as possible for the season 3 to 6 sets makes me a bit hesitant. They changed to making them double-sided DVD's, stopped doing commentary, and doing away with any other special features. The commentary was probably the most disappointing thing since they did something different with them by having the characters themselves talking about what's happening like they're just actors in a sitcom (Bobby, Luanne, and Peggy talking about the Mannequin Make out episode).

They really need to put out the old episodes, but not at the expense of the stuff that made the first two seasons a great purchase.

Well I have not had fox on my tv since they announced that Terminator was going to get canned. I guess I will have to watch tonight as I just started to get back into king of the hill thanks to adult swim. I have not watched since around season 3 or earlyer.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'd love to have the rest of the series on DVD, but Fox's change to being as cheap as possible for the season 3 to 6 sets makes me a bit hesitant. They changed to making them double-sided DVD's, stopped doing commentary, and doing away with any other special features. The commentary was probably the most disappointing thing since they did something different with them by having the characters themselves talking about what's happening like they're just actors in a sitcom (Bobby, Luanne, and Peggy talking about the Mannequin Make out episode).

They really need to put out the old episodes, but not at the expense of the stuff that made the first two seasons a great purchase.[/QUOTE]

I never really bother with extras, but I have to admit that the style you're describing sounds hilarious. I'll have to check them out.

"If we were a deck of cards, Bobby would be the king of hearts. 2 of us would be the jokers and one of us would be the card with the rules on it"

I lold hard at that line

"Team spirit. It's like the Holy Spirit, but more powerful."

Excellent ending episode. Boomhauer is some sort of police officer?

Now I finally know what episode Duff Goldman did voices in. I remember on his show that there was one where they did voicework, but I'd never seen it.

So long, Hank. You're not really going anywhere, but it's nice to know where you've been.

I figure the next time I ever watch Fox will be when the NY Giants or Astros are on.

I'm not too much into TV that isn't KOTH, South Park, Mythbusters, or UFO Files anyways.

When Bobby saw them delivering his own personal grill, that tugged at a heartstring.

So sad to see the series end, but definitely a good ride.

[quote name='kube00']It was kinda cool that everyone came over at the end.[/QUOTE]

Again, watch the episode where Luanne gets married. This sort of thing is 100x more pronounced in that episode.

I did think they did a good job ending it "a second time" in this episode though. I get choked up a bit when you hear Hank saying things like "That's the last one, Bobby," but then they start talking about "many more to come."

Will miss the hell out of this show, but I watch it so much on my DVDs that it'll be good.

I remember the wedding episode. There were so many cameos, it almost made my head spin. Even the character Bernie Mac played showed up.

[quote name='Strell'] Excellent ending episode. Boomhauer is some sort of police officer?[/QUOTE]
He's a Texas Ranger. Kind of funny, seeing as how the gang did so many dumb things over the years.

Sad to see it go, but it was necessary before the Simpsons syndrome set in.

[quote name='kube00']Well an an hr and a 1/2 of McFarlane..sigh what is the world coming too.[/QUOTE]
All the more reason to avoid Fox.

It seemed like a rehash of the wedding episode, but with more of a generic plot leading up to it. The whole "Is this hobby finally Bobby's thing?" plot, along with the "will this be the one for Bobby?" plot, is one they've done a lot, so it kind of soured the end a bit, but not enough to make the ending bad.

Wasn't the show on more something like 13 years? Everything must come to an end. This is one of the few instances were fox actually didn't screw everything up. So everyone freaking out should calm down.

Lots of excellent lines in both episodes. Is the last episode aired the last one produced? Or out of the four unaired episodes, is there more of a "final" episode?

Looking at the titles of the episodes (thanks to wikipedia), it's hard to tell if there's more of a "final" episode coming. I'm guessing that since they chose to air the other four in syndication, then the answer is probably "no."

One thing to note is that Dale (apparently) finds out about Nancy and John Redcorn in one of the episodes. I fully expect to hear "SH-SH-SHA" at least once.

[quote name='udabenshen']Wasn't the show on more something like 13 years? Everything must come to an end. This is one of the few instances were fox actually didn't screw everything up. So everyone freaking out should calm down.[/QUOTE]

Yep, while I'm sad to see it go. I'm happy they've had as long a run as they did. People always complain about Fox canceling shows, but the fact is Fox actually gave these shows a chance while other networks passed them up. If the viewership isn't there, the money won't be there so you can't blame them at all.

SOB! Was playing games and did not realize the last two episodes were being aired. caught the last 10 mins of the final episode and something about the way it ended with
Bobby grilling and then talk about how he'll be grilling for a long time and the the whole panning up to the Arlen Water thing, and then the credits/music playing off
just felt like the end without me even knowing it was the last episode.

it felt a lil sad even thinking it was the last ep. the show had its moments. but unlike some I do welcome the cleveland show.

They need to replace Family Guy with KOTH and Cleveland Show with Futurama. Then shove something in the AD spot that doesnt make my eyes bleed.

Of course there is 0 chance of this happening, but a man can dream

OH NO, LEAKED CONTENT TALK:
I watched The Cleveland Show's pilot and can easily say it is is complete, derivative, stereotypical garbage.

I already posted on the Goozex thread, but I thought the second to last episode was okay, but the last one ranks among the best episodes ever. Mostly because of the crazy meat examiners, but still. The ending was great, although a little cheesy, but the VERY end, meaning the last two words, was great. I saw the recycling of the plot some flack, but I didn't start watching religiously until two years ago; so I wouldn't know. but It's hard to believe that it was not originally intended to be the series finale (according to Judge).

BTW, did anyone notice this is the first time since '92 that Mike Judge has not had one show scheduled to air a new episode? And until Futurama is back, 60% of animated prim-time shows will be MacFarlane's? This gets more upsetting when I think into it.

King of the Hill was never really one of those shows that I liked...so I don't care if its gone

bread's done
Back