Photo
- - - - -

NY Videogame Stores

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 JOSHAROONIE

JOSHAROONIE

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:52 PM

Does anybody know any videogame stores in the manhattan - queens area that Sells videogames early and if you know how early do they sell

#2 Shimrra

Shimrra

Hello Ladies !!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:15 AM

I doubt it those days are over. All these mom and pop stores are afraid of getting caught since competition is tough. Your best bet is to get all friendly with someone who works at one of the major retailers.

A beautiful 35-year-old ain’t as as good lookin’ as an ugly 19-year-old. Women expect us to like them but they don’t even like each other” Patrice O’neal

Shimrra74.png2rfy52g.jpg

#3 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:48 AM

I heard that there's some stores in the Bronx...

#4 jza1218

jza1218

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:02 AM

There's a place on Steinway in Astoria that does. Two places actually. One is between Broadway and 31st avenue, near Starbucks. The other is near 23rd avenue. I cant recall the names.

#5 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:57 AM

Try Chinatown (Elizabeth Street), though they might charge you more than the retail price for it.

#6 flameofdoom666

flameofdoom666

3D Dot Game Link!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:32 PM

Video Game Central on CrossBay BLVD, queens will. They usually charge $5 more than the MSRP on everything though.

EX: I got the SAW II dvd about 2 and a half weeks before release.

#7 Chanpuru

Chanpuru

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:24 PM

Video Games New York (formerly St. Mark's Place)
Neighborhood: East Village
202 E 6th St
(between Cooper Sq & Taras Shevchenko Pl)
New York, NY 10003
(212) 539-1039

#8 kevinthechemist

kevinthechemist

Rhymin' And Stealin'

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:24 PM

Press Start in Maspeth, Queens.
Posted Image

#9 Cliff254

Cliff254

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:56 AM

as mentioned above, video games new york

#10 idkblah00

idkblah00

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:32 AM

There's a place on Steinway in Astoria that does. Two places actually. One is between Broadway and 31st avenue, near Starbucks. The other is near 23rd avenue. I cant recall the names.

where on 31st? i have never seen it but always hear about it?

#11 Cinderellaman108

Cinderellaman108

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:43 AM

Naw try in the Bronx. Theres a few spots that put out the games early on 149th and 3rd ave. GameBox and Game Express were both selling Modern Wardare 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 a week and half before it dropped. Sometimes they sell it for 5 bucks cheaper too.

#12 superdry

superdry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:16 AM

where on 31st? i have never seen it but always hear about it?

It's called Game Champ...it's practically next door to the Gamestop on Steinway btwn broadway and 31st ave.

VideoGameBuddy is the other store on steinway st. and 23rd ave.

#13 gantt

gantt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

Video Games New York (formerly St. Mark's Place)
Neighborhood: East Village
202 E 6th St
(between Cooper Sq & Taras Shevchenko Pl)
New York, NY 10003
(212) 539-1039

Just wanted to thank the CAGs for the tip about Video Games New York. Was able to drop by while visiting NYC. Great place packed to the rafters with stuff, from recent to historic, both games and hardware. Prices are steep to say the least (MGS collection $50? Really, it's worth $20 extra to buy it here vs. Amazon?) but for hard-to-get stuff and nostalgia this is a find. The owner seems cool.

#14 Chanpuru

Chanpuru

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:47 PM

Now I feel bad for leaving out the Play 'N Trade location in Union Square
Between 3rd and 4th Avenue
137 East 13th Street, New York, NY 10003
(212) 674-0200

They have a crazy selection.

#15 JackRabbitStudios

JackRabbitStudios

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:21 AM

Do you mean Game Champ and Videogame buddy?

Funny, Game Champ was originally shut down because they were selling ames early, and they recently re opened.

#16 jza1218

jza1218

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:48 AM

Now I feel bad for leaving out the Play 'N Trade location in Union Square
Between 3rd and 4th Avenue
137 East 13th Street, New York, NY 10003
(212) 674-0200

They have a crazy selection.

Whoa, did not know that. Once I start going back into work, I might have to check it out, since I'm on 9th avenue. They carry NES games, right?

#17 jza1218

jza1218

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:49 AM

Funny, Game Champ was originally shut down because they were selling ames early, and they recently re opened.

Yeah, I think thats right. I know one the one near 23rd avenue is called Videogame buddy, and Game Champ sounds right.

#18 superdry

superdry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:43 AM

Interesting.

From my experiences, I like Game Champ. The employees seem pretty cool, their selection is decent and the prices on the used games are quite fair for a retail store. I recently bought Fire Emblem for the Wii for $29+tax. And, if a used game is scratched and you don't like it, they'll buff the disc for free (not bad!).

It's definitely nice to have an alternative to Gamestop in a neighbourhood.

#19 chrislisting

chrislisting

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:06 PM

fordham man, of course......hey who remembers corner store? lol
(edit: missed manhattan queens, but fordhams not far, just take the 4)
(edit 2: also really check out fordham/jerome stores uptown, also yonkers has a lotta pre selling)

Edited by chrislisting, 03 April 2010 - 03:42 AM.

#20 chrislisting

chrislisting

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:38 AM

oh btw, all you guys gota check out videogamesnewyork.com, but not for the site, use that as a base to go to their store on e6th in the village, its the coolest, most extensive retro game store ive ever seen...prices are standard, tho they do deals, but its the shit they got thats amazing (from atari, to neo geo, turbo graphics, dreamcast, master systm, sega cd, dreamcast, etc....) EVERYTHING including imports and all of the limited/speecial edition games

#21 chrislisting

chrislisting

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:39 AM

oh scuse me, someone already posted that, my bad

#22 gantt

gantt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:45 AM

oh scuse me, someone already posted that, my bad

Nah, stores like Videogamesnewyork are so rare it's worth reposting their existence every so often.

#23 chrislisting

chrislisting

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:54 AM

lol cool,yeah i love it, i just go in and hang wit dan sometimes, hes a cool dude (tries to sell "afrika" as tje import thinkin u wont know its just a Natgeo pic show lol), but still cool people, real cool people, and stuff u didnt thinkw as around except ebay or somethin. i just got back from there a coupple hours ago actually, i wonder if anyeons gona buy the 750 ffxiii ps3 (actually probly some upper west sider if they dare lol)

#24 digital83

digital83

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:56 AM

yeh videogamesnewyork is the shit ive gotten some rare dreamcast games there...they have practically everything! definetly worth a visit just for the museum aspect of it!

#25 chrislisting

chrislisting

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:12 AM

my pops is around 50, and hes off the boat, but when i took him in yesterday to check out the shop instead of him usually waitin outside while i run in (u know the parkin sit), he was like "wow,i remember the kids had that before you even knew what nintendo was"...., nostalgia for anyone in their 20's 30's, and the people are cool, they know ur not there to always buy , it is like a museum, but i swear, if im ever in a manic spending frenzy, i better stay away from the village. if anyone wants their card, i can scan it, but someone will have to post it cuz i dont konw how to.....any gamer in the tristate area should check itt out, definite tourist attr. for gamers, too....its amazin how the holes in teh wall have all the shit. man, if ur a gamer (Which i didnt consider myself one till i got a ps3 and 12 games within 3 months lol), and ur from NYC, u been missin out...and theyll trade nearly anything...

#26 rpgfan

rpgfan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:14 AM

Press Start in Maspeth, Queens.

How are the deals in that store?

#27 lmz00

lmz00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

Are there any places in NYC that modify consoles, specifically the N64 RGB video mod?

#28 kevinthechemist

kevinthechemist

Rhymin' And Stealin'

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:41 PM

How are the deals in that store?

Non-existent
Posted Image

#29 Corsico

Corsico

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:28 AM

Trust me, those days are NOT over.

#30 worldwarx

worldwarx

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:37 PM

come to J&L game store in 28 elizabeth street in chinatown.

i remember buying dissidia (english version) 2 months before it was released in the states
the people there are nice you will get good service there.