Square Enix President says Wii 2 in 2011

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#91 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:33 PM

I for one am not ready for a new Wii. I am perfectly fine with my Wii right now and I don't want to spend $300 on a new console in a year considering the Wii can still make excellent games. Also I could care less about HD, if I wanted to play a HD game, I got my PC. Another reason I don't want to buy a new Wii is because of how they like to Fuck over their users on their shop channel. (what was it like 2-3 years for super mario kart and pilotwings, give me a fucking break).

#92 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:00 PM

I'm only thinking of the Wii.... does the wii have anything that would need HD? Can the wii do HD now? Didn't they say that they wanted the Wii to be available to anyone and gameplay > game looks?

Nintendo's focus isn't on HD. I have never felt the "HD down throat expierence" besides Bluray movies on every fucking sony produced DVD. And guess what... IT'S NOT ABOUT GAMES!?!?!

if what you're saying is supposed gospel truth.. the Dreamcast should have wiped the floor with a late coming PS2.

There would already be a Dreamcast 32x Saturn edition already.... if HD was sooooo important.

Cripes man, Good graphics does NOT make a good game. Cannot sell crappy software.

huh? I didn't say it doesn't matter or nobody cares.

Just saying that Nintendo really doesn't need it now. They don't have the library or the infrastucture to do it, definately no support from the third parties.

I do enjoy local multiplayer and it's a blast, but that can't be said on the ps360 either...

It's just sad to see multiplayer as an illusion because really it's not getting people together like the Wii can, it's pushing people to their own living room to sit on a couch and sometimes pay something per month so they can play with someone else across town.

I remember playing games with my friends in the same room with a NES, SNES, and genisis... that can't be said now with the ps360.

Moot point, I agreed with you... why bring it up? you like just want to argue don't you?

Indeed, but there are plenty of games you need only 1 controller, can be split up to 4.

And I can probably guess that Natel and the Sony fairy wand will be pricey too.

How much are the DS3s? And most games don't require the nunchuck, and when they do it's mostly limited to 2 player games.

You compared a $20 gamepad... the Xbox pad at Target.... online I see them for $40, wow same as the wiimote... how much is the wireless, omg $50.... wait, the wiimote is wireless already!!

sure you can say you need the numchuck, but half the games don't need it... can you cut the 360 in half and pay only half of that?

software sales not hardware that makes money? Sure maybe for like Sony and MS... Nintendo is obviously spitting in that face.

Sure it's suppose to but gee, really doesn't seem like a bad idea or plan if you don't HAVE to make a loss on hardware and pray every day that software sales will make it up.

As I said, HD graphics are not necessary, but they help. And people want HD graphics. That's why HDTV sales are up so high, and why the format war between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray was so big. Whether you want to admit or not, people want HD.

And no, Nintendo doesn't need it now, but they will next generation, which is what we're talking about. I can't even tell you how many people have told me they wish the Wii had more online capabilities. The Wii is a big party system. It's awesome to have if you've got 20 people over. But what if you don't have any friends over at the moment? It would be nice to be able to play all your games online and get just as much fun out of them. And just because people play online doesn't mean they're isolating themselves. Some people don't have friends that love video games, or just happen to be alone at the time. It doesn't mean they're lonely, sexless losers who have nothing to do but play games.

And my bad about storage. I mis-interpreted your post. Just dis-regard my statement.

And most of the good games do require 4 controllers. (Like Mario Kart) And most games may not require a nunchuck, but what about the few that do? With a 360 or PS3, you buy the controller and you're done. With a Wii, you buy a Wiimote, then you might have to buy a nunchuck, then you might have to buy a Wii Motion Plus.

OK, so Nintendo is making money now on hardware sales. That's cool. What about down the line when everybody already has a Wii? They'll be dwindling in software sales, while Sony and MS will still be making money because they're still selling software while Nintendo isn't.

http://www.gamasutra...php?story=25740

"However, a closer look at the underlying figures suggests that Wii software sales really have slowed down throughout 2009, precisely in the period during which Wii hardware sales have also shown declines. It is also notable that Nintendo has not had a truly big first-party software release on the Wii this year."

Wii software sales are leveling out while the 360 and PS3 continue to grow. And these numbers don't affect online purchases, such as Arcade/PSN/VC games and DLC. The Wii is only on top now because it sold so many consoles so fast. But those numbers are beginning to level out, while PS3 and 360 console sales are increasing. And since the PS3 and 360 sell more games per system than the Wii, once the console numbers start rising, the PS3 and 360 will easily pass the Wii in software sales.

#93 fldash

fldash

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

I would only spend money on a new Wii console if it offered 100% backward compatibility with my current controllers, peripherals, and games.

#94 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

Ok, we are arguing different things, I think. I agree that the next gen Nintendo console is going to have HD graphics. Who doesn't? HDTVs are becoming ubiquitous so it now makes sense. Certainly, though, any claim that Nintendo is suffering for the lack of HD, HDD and better online on their current console is completely ridiculous, as I pointed out in excruciating detail with amazon's 2009 numbers. If it makes anyone feel better, you could argue that the 360 and PS3 are ahead of their time, at least in terms of graphics, storage and online play. Unfortunately for them, it hasn't helped. If anything, it looks like Nintendo is timing things perfectly. Just as sales start to slow (if they are/do - I don't think that's entirely clear), they will have their next gen console out.

#95 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

Wii software sales are leveling out while the 360 and PS3 continue to grow. And these numbers don't affect online purchases, such as Arcade/PSN/VC games and DLC. The Wii is only on top now because it sold so many consoles so fast. But those numbers are beginning to level out, while PS3 and 360 console sales are increasing. And since the PS3 and 360 sell more games per system than the Wii, once the console numbers start rising, the PS3 and 360 will easily pass the Wii in software sales.

Wii is in every home.... yeah they level out because not everyone is going to by a 2nd or 3rd wii. Eventually it's going to stay steady like the DS. New families, new wiis. No 3 million sold months of course, that makes sense.

And why are they slow for the Xbox and PS3, no software maybe me thinks? wasn't that a gripe for the PS3 for the longest time. No software to push the consoles.

And when comparing numbers of the consoles, the software sales won't matter because there is a bigger wii base out there. Nintendo isn't stopping the first party games, the bigger third party games like Sega isn't going to give up either.

Overall Nintendo is making money on hardware and software, while the other two is just on software alone, and that's not cutting it because there still isn't enough titles to make me buy either. The loss factor on RRODs and the slow to stalwart sales on Ps3, only surged because they release a revision...

Even if Wii 2 decides to come out... with HD, with storage, with more online abilities.... and still play Wii titles... what the hell is Sony or MS going to do?

I'm hoping for a late 2011, I really think the Wii has 10 years... but 7 is good enough too I suppose.

#96 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:32 PM

Ok, we are arguing different things, I think. I agree that the next gen Nintendo console is going to have HD graphics. Who doesn't? HDTVs are becoming ubiquitous so it now makes sense. Certainly, though, any claim that Nintendo is suffering for the lack of HD, HDD and better online on their current console is completely ridiculous, as I pointed out in excruciating detail with amazon's 2009 numbers. If it makes anyone feel better, you could argue that the 360 and PS3 are ahead of their time, at least in terms of graphics, storage and online play. Unfortunately for them, it hasn't helped. If anything, it looks like Nintendo is timing things perfectly. Just as sales start to slow (if they are/do - I don't think that's entirely clear), they will have their next gen console out.

No, obviously Nintendo isn't suffering that much now. I'm just trying to say, that if you look at this generation, the next generation Wii will almost have to have HD, an HDD and online capabilities to keep up.

#97 M-PG71C

M-PG71C

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

Should I try giving them a call then? It'd be nice if I didn't have to give up all the stuff I bought just because I got a new console (deactivated the old one, and gave it to another family member, and got myself another one). I've heard them deny people left and right for asking, but I guess it can't hurt to try.

There is ONE exception, if you deactivate your license on the Wii Shop Channel for any reason, you give up the rights to those games.

But as long as that license is still there and you have the serial number for both the old Wii and the new one, you can transfer them over.

Their customer service is typically pretty top-notch. That's the difference though lol :D
Posted Image

#98 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:44 PM

I would only spend money on a new Wii console if it offered 100% backward compatibility with my current controllers, peripherals, and games.

Posted Image

Good news, everyone! You can do this in stores right now!

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread