Goldeneye unlikely for XBLA

Spybreak8

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Couldn't find the thread talking about Goldeneye, thought it was here somewhere, but it looks like Goldeneye is not coming to XBLA. :cry:
Recently, Rare, the creator of Goldeneye, addressed the issue in its newsletter. A reader asked about talks between Rare and Nintendo/Microsoft, and how close they all were to reaching an agreement to include the game on their systems. Below is the response:
"That was some time ago, my friend. Fate was against us that day. Destiny conspired to raise the hurdles even as we attempted to clear them, resulting in unpleasant groinal injury. I suspect we’re long past the stage where an agreement was on the cards, but you never know. Stranger things have happened… somewhere… probably.”
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/699332/Goldeneye-For-Wii-XBLA-Looking-Unlikely.html

I thought I saw a thread, too...must've been another forum.

Anywho, why would Perfect Dark be getting an XBLA rerelease and not Goldeneye? Does Nintendo own the rights to Goldeneye or something?

[quote name='ProggleRock']Anywho, why would Perfect Dark be getting an XBLA rerelease and not Goldeneye? Does Nintendo own the rights to Goldeneye or something?[/QUOTE]

It should be pretty plainly obvious how the licensing situation for a game developed by Rare, published by Nintendo, and based on a long-expired license from a film distributed by MGM that was produced by EON Productions and that is the intellectual property of Danjaq LLC, is slightly more complex than an original property like Perfect Dark, which is a fully-owned Microsoft property that they can easily do whatever they want with.

If you want Goldeneye's multiplayer on XBLA, 2 words for ya: Perfect Dark

Licensed game: Goldeneye
Original IP: Perfect Dark

Who owns Bond movie license: Sony
Who owns Perfect Dark license: Rare

This gets more and more complicated as it goes on, so I'll stop there.

[quote name='KingBroly']Who owns Bond movie license: Sony[/QUOTE]

Technically that isn't really a wholly accurate statement, just FYI.

[quote name='ProggleRock']Anywho, why would Perfect Dark be getting an XBLA rerelease and not Goldeneye?[/QUOTE]

Because Perfect Dark is a better game?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It should be pretty plainly obvious how the licensing situation for a game developed by Rare, published by Nintendo, and based on a long-expired license from a film distributed by MGM that was produced by EON Productions and that is the intellectual property of Danjaq LLC, is slightly more complex than an original property like Perfect Dark, which is a fully-owned Microsoft property that they can easily do whatever they want with.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the film license has nothing to do with it. Activision holds the videogame license for the franchise. And it seems they're not even the problem. I think it's just a struggle between Microsoft and Nintendo. But your post is entertaining nonetheless. ;)

[quote name='bardiya27']Why is this an issue? We are getting the superior N64 FPS this Christmas.[/QUOTE]

This. Plus, both games have the Facility multiplayer map, and as long as that's still the case, I don't care which game we get. Putting proxy mines in the urinals never gets old. :p

[quote name='JStryke']This. Plus, both games have the Facility multiplayer map, and as long as that's still the case, I don't care which game we get. Putting proxy mines in the urinals never gets old. :p[/QUOTE]

Multiplayer-speaking, sure, since PD offers a lot more. But I'd still love to see a rerelease of Goldeneye for the single-player, considering the memories I have with it. And let's face it, Perfect Dark's campaign (or story, rather) was pretty awful.

[quote name='ProggleRock']Actually, the film license has nothing to do with it. Activision holds the videogame license for the franchise. And it seems they're not even the problem. I think it's just a struggle between Microsoft and Nintendo. But your post is entertaining nonetheless. ;)[/QUOTE]

The film license has plenty to do with it. No one, not MS or Nintendo or whoever, would be able to republish Goldeneye, without the approval of the movie studios that control the Goldeneye IP.

[quote name='freshzen']OMG everybody get excited for FPS games that were outdated 5 years ago!1!!!!![/QUOTE]

Great games never age my friend. You're just hallucinating. ;)

But see if you have both PD and GE. People will play GE single player and PD multi player.MS makes more off multi player, this PD is the only thing that matters.

[quote name='freshzen']OMG everybody get excited for FPS games that were outdated 5 years ago!1!!!!![/QUOTE]

The fact that you apparently play Raiden would make me hope that you could understand why game designs being "dated" doesn't make them any less awesome.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']The fact that you apparently play Raiden would make me hope that you could understand why game designs being "dated" doesn't make them any less awesome.[/QUOTE]

I hold a personal grudge against Goldeneye because I didn't have a N64 and I would always get my ass kicked when at friends' houses.

[quote name='freshzen']I hold a personal grudge against Goldeneye because I didn't have a N64 and I would always get my ass kicked when at friends' houses.[/QUOTE]

Awe, someone should have been nicer to Santa.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Lol because I want to play Goldeneye single player and have to shoot that damn soldier like 5 times before he dies! ^^[/QUOTE]

Don't you have to shoot things, like, 50 times in Halo to kill something? Apparently those games are still pretty popular.

[quote name='ProggleRock']Don't you have to shoot things, like, 50 times in Halo to kill something? Apparently those games are still pretty popular.[/QUOTE]

lol, contrary to popular belief, russian soldiers don't have overshields nor armor to penetrate. It's an inside joke really.

So because it's...unrealistic? I thought the Covenant were actually in a bit of recession lately and couldn't afford overshields...? Oh wait, it's in the future. Yeah, they'll be out by then.

bread's done
Back