Dead or alive 4/ Soul calibur 4

SonicJ

CAGiversary!
I love both of these games, they are my favorite fighting games of all time over anything else released so far. To me they were both unique and just plain awesome, but I rarely see anyone play either game online. Dead or alive 4, I understand that was a launch title so I wouldn't really expect too many people to play at any given time, but what about soul caliber 4? Were these just games people simply didn't like? I don't have my 360 anymore, im still planing on going to gamestop to pick up a copy of DOA 4 anyway, I loved that game too much to be separated from it ;_; too bad it's now on ps3 (Except for DOA2, but I have no BC). So yeah, what do you guys think of these games?

This is more of a blog post, I think.

Personally, DoA was more "graphically" appealing although there were points in the match where me and my cousin would keep hitting "counter" at the same time which was kind of funny and ridiculous. Soul Calibur was more enjoyable for me back on the Dreamcast and never got into it in later iterations.

And IMHO...
Street Fighter: 3rd Strike is to Chess as Dead or Alive is to Hungry, Hungry Hippos

DOA4 does not look better than SCIV. You are crazy.

But, I love both. DOA retains a soft spot for me, because it was my first fighting game I got seriously involved in. Every other fighting game would just make it to second base.

It looks like a blog post? o_O?
Also I have an account on 8wayrun, but that place is just *not* my scene. Im glad there is an active community , but from my experience most of the people I ran into were elitist jerks anyway. Also bag on nightmare TOO much. He's awesome , they always have to put him down. For shame *SMH*

I used to like both series.. but they've honestly stopped evolving long ago.

There was a huge improvement between DoA and DoA2 but 3 & 4 really weren't much of an improvement. Soulcalibur was fantastic and Soulcalibur II improved upon but it, again, 3 & 4 were just superficial updates.

Of course, this is a trend common in most fighting games. The first 2 or 3 are good, and after that the rest feel pretty much the same.

I never had a chance to try DOA 4 online (my disc has a scratch in it which plays fine, but freezes if I try going online), but I usually had success in finding matches for Soul Caliber. Granted there weren't a lot of people on at one time, but it seemed to be a fairly consistent stream of them. However, I haven't played it in a couple months, so don't know if it's still that way or not.

IMO.

Soul Calibur IV was decent, but I liked 2 and 1 way better (from a competitive standpoint).

Dead or Alive 4 was horrid. There isn't a scene.

It's not about the scene as it was the endless hours you personally could enjoy from it. I bought my 360 uder the pretense of just playing halo, but when I got dead or alive 4, I ended up logging more hours to that game. The only pity was online, fairly consistent in pre 2008/2007 fighting games were the net code seems to underwhelming.

theyre both boring as is tekken. i know they always say each new version has all these great enhancements and better graphics but they all feel look and play the same to me. still waiting for the day fighting games advance. the last fighter i played that i really enjoyed was naruto ulitmate ninja storm for the ps3. if they had had added more movies and gotten rid of that awful story mode and added online play that game could have been the greatest new fighter ever. also should have had bigger fighting areas and fighting stages set in diff areas of the narutoverse.

Dead or Alive 2 on the Dreamcast kicks ass. I felt they nerfed DOA2U, but it was still fun. DOA3 was only a slight step back from DOA2. DOA4 is quite poo. I never really got into DOA1, but other than the ridiculous tit physics, I thought it was poo, too.

Soul Calibur 1 wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. SC2 is kind of poo. SC3 home is very poo, but the arcade version isn't bad. SC4 is quite poo. Soul Blade/Edge, though, is the shit. I still play that game, and I wish Namco would have just kept the rest of the series more like it.

I have fond memories of DOA4. Its cool to see someone else who appreciates that game.
Story: One morning I was very very hung over and my wife (girlfriend at the time) decided to try it out. She had only played Zuma on the 360 before this.
I ended up laying on the couch nursing my hangover for about 7 hours while she proceeded to play dead or alive 4 so much that she unlocked almost every costume for every female character. It was pretty cool seeing someone who is not into gaming get so into a somewhat hardcore fighting game.

I played a fair share of DOA2 and SC2, but I can't really get into any other iterations from either series. Same with Tekken 3 (and its series).

[quote name='Ecofreak']Street Fighter: 3rd Strike is to Chess as Dead or Alive is to Hungry, Hungry Hippos[/QUOTE]

SF3 is clunky old chess.

DOA2, when you reach a certain level that most people never bothered to do, is Chinese chess.

It's amazing how far other DOA games fell after DOA2. DOA2 was tight as hell. About the only thing broken about it was Jan Lee having very predictable almost always high zone combos. Too bad DOA3 mildly nerfed on its premise, and DOA2U completely neutered it. Then DOA4 was like the offspring of something that couldn't reproduce if it could reproduce. It reproduced with all the reproducity of something that can't reproduce.

bread's done
Back