The Official "I got hosed on the Sgt. Johnson Code at TRU" thread

spideymike

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Post here if you got screwed from TRU (or other retailers) and didn't get the promised Sgt. Johnson code when you preordered the Halo 3: ODST game. We all had similar situations today, I'm sure. My TRU had the codes, but ran out this morning within 15 minutes of opening up. Most likely they gave them all away to everyone who bought the game instead of those who just preordered like I did. :roll:

Btw, here's Bungie's original post about the places to preorder for Sgt. Johnson.

Last edited by a moderator:
I preordered from TRU, when I came in at 10 (first one there) and asked about the DLC, the guy thought only Gamestop was giving away the codes.

Need a code here. Picked up game at 10 at TRU. They knew nothing of the codes. I read from some here that their stores were recieving them later on so just called back and spoke to 3 different people and still had no clue.

Need a code here. Picked up game at 10 at TRU. They knew nothing of the codes. I read from some here that their stores were recieving them later on so just called back and spoke to 3 different people and still had no clue.

i got lucky and bought the game at toysrus even though i pre ordered it at gamestop and the lady game me a code with no pre order so they probably gave it out to everyone which sucks for the people who should have got it but didnt

I had to ask them to speak with a manager. The preorder card (which you needed to pick up the game) listed it. The manager and employee were clueless, but checked all these Fedex, UPS mailers and found them for me. I assume you guys have gone back and asked?

I got mine at about 12:30, but I received no code, even though I took the time to pre-order.

I may go back and complain tomorrow, but who knows if that will be of any use.

Didn't pre-order, still got the GC but they were giving out Sgt. Johnson codes to anyone who bought ODST, they ran out of action figures pretty early too. I went around 12pm. Some of then didn't know about the code, one cashier did and said to try back tomorrow.

I was in line as the store opened. I was the last one to get a figure, but when asking about the codes the two workers looked extremely confused. I had ODST preordered at Gamestop too though and planned on canceling it after getting it at TRU. I drove over there and picked it up as well and ended up with 2 copies of the game. I planned on simply returning one, but my buddy really wanted it but didn't have the money so I told him to give me $60 flat for it over time.

But so yeah I got screwed out of the code by TRU but luckily Gamestop had plenty. : )

I got my code, but only after talking to the games girl (who had no clue), who radioed several other people (who had no clue), and finally as i was walking out the door the customer service guy finally had found them and gave me one (even though i didn't pre-order). It's okay though cuz my TRU in Fullerton only had 1 pre-order anyways.

Karma: as soon as i got home i opened my Rookie figure and his hand broke off as i tried to fit the gun into it (which seemed like it wasn't designed to fit)

I didn't get my code either (noted in the other thread) but I was later hooked up by a friend. I plan on calling them during my lunch break just for laughs and a bit of curiosity. I'll see if my TRU "found" them yet.

As I stated on the original ODST thread, it looks like most (if not all) the stores didn't know what to do with the "big card" that had the code. They were putting it out on a display cart instead of holding onto them (for pre-orders).

However, I was told every single TRU that had the game were given the SJ codes (and it looks like they came in on Friday/Saturday), so if your store didn't have any, here's probably what happened:

1. They put them out and got snatched immediately (especially when they were ringing up a "penny" as stated in my original post).

2. They are in the back somewhere in a box that no one has looked through yet. You might want to ask your TRU because if they find them, they will not put them out. They'll more than likely get thrown away.

3. An TRU employee screwed you and either snagged them all or didn't put out the box (so he/she can grab them at a later date).

Oh yeah, the gun that came with the figurine broke while I was removing it from the plastic.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']I didn't even know TRU had the code. I got the last rookie figure and the gift card so I was ok.[/QUOTE]
Be careful opening it. I was, and the gun still broke.

Some of you should be receiving a $10 off $75 coupon in the mail soon (effective dates 9/25-10/18). I got mine yesterday. Nice stack for your $20 GC.

I got screwed out of the code and figurine. The lady asked me "why didn't you come earlier?" and I responded "I shouldn't have to come earlier" and she didn't seem to understand that some of us have lives...

i arrived at TRU 10am with my preorder card in hand... i was 6th in line for ODST... they ran out of figures after 4 people.. the provided no code

Seems like TRU is pretty fast and loose with these cards. Glad I picked mine up at best buy with the case and the 10 off deal a month ago. Although Im not even sure if im going to use it. I guess well see.

Something has got to be done about the rampant promises of preorder swag.
Twice RECENTLY I have preordered games and have not gotten the item I was supposed to get as a reward for preordering. I did not even bother preordering this one because I had a hunch it was going to happen again.

It just seems like retailers are puming up their promises just to boost their presale figures. Then someone ends up dropping the ball, either the retailers, suppliers, or promoters.

I don't "need" to have things on day 1, so there is no real point in preordering anymore if this kind of thing keeps happening.

Things won't change if you keep buying from the place that doesn't give you the bonus you wanted. If they don't have what they promised you, just return it and try somewhere else. Then drop a call to corporate and let them know why they lost your $60.

[quote name='Cameron4All']Something has got to be done about the rampant promises of preorder swag.

I don't "need" to have things on day 1, so there is no real point in preordering anymore if this kind of thing keeps happening.[/QUOTE]

And that is the solution, stop paying them.

I preordered from TRU and didn't get a code either - they didn't know anything about it. Going to run by after work with a printout from the bungie site to see if that will jog their memory...

Long Story bare with me.

My Sister and I went to Tru about a week and a half ago to pre-order they knew nothing about the promo/ad ($20gc and ODST figure).

anyways fastfoward to sept 22. was searching around to see if TRU had a Midnight release i decided to go to TRU early. got there at 8am knowing that TRU opened at 10am i sat down and waiting at a local DD.

ok finaly TRU opened go in was the 3rd one online, handed her my pre order card, and i said Miss you guys also have that pre order promo, No thats only gamestop, ME: but miss your store is a participant in the pre order promo for the sgt johnson code. then some older lady said no thats gamestop sorry.

ok w/e made my purchase went home, went on cag to report that the northern boulevard TRU had no pre order codes and they knew nothing of them. but caught up on the other post saying they have receieved pre order sgt johnson codes. Right so i called up and i asked the customer guest rep. she transfered me to the R zone, they put me on the phone with the same girl that told me its gamestop only offer, OK i told her but you are on the official site. she said kept denying it. and i told her but other people haave the codes from TRU, she told me its IMPOSSIBLE.

finally angry (i know its just a pre order code but i preordered odst im intitled to get my code) i decided to just let it go, but my sister who also pre-ordered it said well why dont you call the other TRU, so i was like oh snap for reals.

she called them and she explained the situation to the tru guy and he said ok just come in and get the codes. GASP they do have it.

so i called up the TRU that i purchased odst from and told them hey listen to the customer service rep and she knew who i was he told me to hold and transfered me to Electronics :\ dirrent from R Zone. ok i expalined to her about pre order codes and she told me its gamestop only its what i heard i told her no you guys are participants i called up other TRU and they have them, and i explained to her that you should have receieved a FEDex shipment with them, early in ther morning. The lady said ok i will give my manager a message and tell them of the situation, please call back in an hour.

2 hours later i called up and got transfered to the girl who told me earlier that the promo is gamestop only. I told her i had called before and she said, (sounding tired and pissed) yes we have the codes, we got them in the morning but couldnt give them to anyone because we only had 7? STOP HAMMER TIME! what? so you lied to me i said. she said sorry we only had 7 we couldnt possibly give them out. ok then can i get my pre order codes? she said ok, but before i go over i remind you that i purchased two copies both preorders she said sorry i only have 1 left and my manager calle dme up saying some guy called up and we should hold his code. I am guessing you are him. iriate i said what about my sister? so she got screwed. sorry she reply do you want your code or not? WTF. i said hold it for me take my name ill be there in 30.

anyways TRU lied to me 3 times about not having the codes. never everf will i buy TRU even if its a sweet deal for a $20 and a poorly contructed action figure, mine broke as well when removing from the package.

i went to the other TRU and the guy didnt even ask for my reciept just 2 pennies. gave him 10 cents and i got my codes but i wasted $10 going back and forth to 2 different TRU's.

my advise is call up a different TRU they should have extra pre order codes. good luck guys.

Well, I called my local TRU to see if they found this mysterious fedex envelope. They kept telling me the same thing "Gamestop exclusive". If it's such an exclusive, why did Amazon.com, Buy.com, and Best Buy all offer the codes? These TRU employees really are clueless. Oh well, I tried to snag a code for you guys.

My best advice, go to a local Gamestop that you're cool with and tell them the truth. They may hook you up and understand why you went to TRU. I mean, who can pass up a $20 GC and shitty action figure? =)

Got my Sarge code, but I was the first person in the door on Tuesday and they had NO "Rookie" figures. At first I was told they were "out of them," which was ridiculous, and was later told they "never came in on the truck." I was finally told to check back Wednesday.

I went back Wednesday morning and got the same lines again: "we're out," "they never came in," and "check back tomorrow." I canceled my preorder at a competitor near my house and moved it to TRU across town for the free figure (giftcard was moot because I had one at the other store) so I'm more than a little peeved.

We'll see if the bait and switch complaint to TRU corporate gets anywhere ...

I just got back from my local TRU store and the store manager went up and beyond for me for customer service. He picked up for me a Rookie action figure for me from another store that had one available, and just now, after I brought in the ad for the Sgt. Johnson token, he called up Microsoft Xbox support and got me a download code from Xbox for me. Definitely one of the best cs experiences I've ever received. Btw, he told me that my local store only received in the mail from MS about 8 Johnson tokens. :cool: My suggestion is to bring a copy of the ad with you as well as your preorder card and hope you have as much luck as I experienced.

i too got no figure or code. (at beginning of the line too!) no stack of codes anywhere. this whole code thing got botched from the beginning. should have just included the codes in all first prints of the game or something.

I got friends at GS. They had a surplus of Sgt. Johnson codes, so they gave me one although I didn't buy the game.

With that being said, First person to PM me politely asking for the code gets it. I would try and trade for something, but really, I'd rather just make someone's day.

[quote name='Enkidou4Lyphe']I got friends at GS. They had a surplus of Sgt. Johnson codes, so they gave me one although I didn't buy the game.

With that being said, First person to PM me politely asking for the code gets it. I would try and trade for something, but really, I'd rather just make someone's day.[/QUOTE]

That's very awesome. Thanks for doing that.

I just called Toys in Portage, Michigan and they have the codes and if you bring in your reciept they will give you the code even if you didn't preorder it. I did take my receipt and I got the code. Hope this helps someone.

All these horror stories about TRU and/or other stores and their pre-order shenanigans! Sorry about that, guys (and gals)!

FYI, I have an extra code if you're willing to trade me, shoot me a PM!

bread's done
Back