Rock Band 2 SE $99 @ Gamestop IN STORE

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 icedrake523

icedrake523

Good News Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:16 AM

The instruments themselves are the same. However, the compatibility between each game and instrument varies.

http://www.joystiq.c...ibility-Matrix/

#32 Sinnbox

Sinnbox

Garage-sale/Thrift KING!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:01 AM

I just picked it up myself, thanks to the trade 4 get $20 extra I traded in 8 games from the BBV B1G1 and paid only $5!! WOOT!

P.S how weird is it that I got $12 credit for a game I got at BBV for $2.50!?!? LOL

#33 johnsdoe00

johnsdoe00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:21 AM

Yeah guys. I meant the instruments. I already plan on getting both games... but I hated the Rock Band 1 instruments... the guitar sucked so much. Guitar Hero guitars have always felt better to me. Is the RB2 guitar a lot different from the RB1 guitar?
Right now I'm really leaning towards buying the RB2 set instead of the World Tour one...
Posted Image

#34 mkelehan

mkelehan

Xbox Live Arcade Fiend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:02 AM

Okay, folks. I play a LOT of music games. Here's my take on instruments.

For guitars, my favorites are the GH3 and GH5 guitars. They have a wonderful digital strumbar, and the buttons are very quiet, easy to feel, and easy to slide. The wired GH2 X-plorer is pretty good, too, but it's louder. I'm not a fan of the strum bars on the RB1, RB2, or GHWT guitars, nor do I love the buttons on the RB1 and RB2 guitars, but I'm sure one could get used to the buttons. The strum bars are too soft. Now, there is a problem with the GH3 guitars: the connection between the base and the neck gets weak over time, which can cause it to drop about 1% of notes. Not a problem for a beginner, but a huge dealbreaker for pros. I actually soldered mine on. So, the verdict here is the GH5 guitar.

Drums! The RB1 drums are loud and don't bounce very well. The RB2 drums are quieter and bounce very well. The important difference is that GHWT and GH5 handle the four-pad setup of RB drums a lot better than RB handles the 2-and-3 setup of the GH drums, so if you're only getting one set for both series (and I for one can't be arsed to have a bunch of drumsets around the house), go with the RB2 drums.

All mics are the same.

For software, Rock Band 2, hands down, no contest, take it to the bank. Then rent or borrow RB1 to rip its songs to the HDD. GH5 is a good deal because it comes with the best guitar on the market, and it's a fun game that's worth the money. RB2 is just worth way more.

#35 icedrake523

icedrake523

Good News Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:20 AM

Now, there is a problem with the GH3 guitars: the connection between the base and the neck gets weak over time, which can cause it to drop about 1% of notes. Not a problem for a beginner, but a huge dealbreaker for pros. I actually soldered mine on. So, the verdict here is the GH5 guitar.

The loose neck on the GH3 guitar is an easy fix. I did this before I started using it and have had no problems. And considering you can get 2 GH3 guitars and the WT game for $20, they're a good option.

I agree with the rest of your post. I do like the WT guitar though. I didn't notice a difference between its strum bar and the others.

#36 mkelehan

mkelehan

Xbox Live Arcade Fiend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:30 AM

The loose neck on the GH3 guitar is an easy fix. I did this before I started using it and have had no problems. And considering you can get 2 GH3 guitars and the WT game for $20, they're a good option.

I agree with the rest of your post. I do like the WT guitar though. I didn't notice a difference between its strum bar and the others.

I wasn't aware of that fix... interesting. That's a great preventative measure. It was too late for mine, though, so I had to use wire glue to glue the contacts on, since they had worn so hard on each other.

Where can you get 2 GH3 guitars for $20?

#37 crackers8199

crackers8199

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:09 AM

I wasn't aware of that fix... interesting. That's a great preventative measure. It was too late for mine, though, so I had to use wire glue to glue the contacts on, since they had worn so hard on each other.

I too am curious as to where you can get 2 GH3 guitars plus the WT game for $20...unless we're talking Target clearance, which is far from a guarantee. I've been to five Target stores over the past week and not one of them had any bundles left...

#38 heyheyhey11

heyheyhey11

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:16 AM

i feel like there still many of these rb2 set available in retail everywhere, so it may well have another universal drop, then i'll might get it. granted its a boring game playing alone(and sad) but i want to play drums on the metallica game

#39 Kamelot

Kamelot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:24 AM

It has been $100 for a while. I think I got mine for $89 several months ago at GS. It's an okay deal, the price has become the norm so I wouldn't jump on it like its the greatest deal of the century.
-
Posted Image

#40 crackers8199

crackers8199

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:29 PM

It has been $100 for a while. I think I got mine for $89 several months ago at GS. It's an okay deal, the price has become the norm so I wouldn't jump on it like its the greatest deal of the century.

not really...i don't know about where you live, but here in eastern PA best buy has it for $139.99, and target/walmart for $159.99. i'd hardly say that gamestop's $99.99 has "become the norm."

#41 icedrake523

icedrake523

Good News Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:55 PM

Target has the 2 Les Pauls w/ GHWT on clearance for $22.xx. YMMV. The one I went to only had 1 360 bundle and 1 PS3 bundle on the shelf.

#42 BluePotato

BluePotato

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:56 PM

Price is back up to $159.99. Deal is dead.

#43 crackers8199

crackers8199

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:57 PM

so much for this being a universal drop...damnit!

#44 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:04 PM

When I saw this thread again I thought to myself, maybe I should pick this up and sell my Wii version finally. Doh!

#45 Ketsui

Ketsui

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:58 PM

im so mad this deal was only temporary..100 dollars is still alot of money :bomb:

#46 DaFulla

DaFulla

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:28 PM

I noticed that the PS3 & Xbox 360 Guitar Hero World Tour full band kits are now $100 ($99.99 for Cheapy...)

#47 DaFulla

DaFulla

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:34 PM

It's back on! I noticed this morning that Gamestop lowered their prices on drums to $49.99, like everywhere else. On a whim, I searched for the whole set, and they have Rock Band 2 Special Edition sets priced for $100! I returned my drums to Best Buy, and bought the whole set with a price match. I think this is the best deal going right now.

#48 SMITTYBLAZE

SMITTYBLAZE

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:38 PM

Yea. When I first saw this thread I went to TRU and got the same deal. HUGE waste of money! I wasted 6000+ points on a bunch of songs and ended up selling the whole thing on craigslist for $70 in perfect condtion. Huge waste of money to me: I only play the drums and would rather play other things then sitting playing songs all the time.

Huge waste of money!! I love music, but I just stay away from these games now, I don't even let myself get tempted. I want RB Beatles, but I know it's just a waste.

#49 ctrek3

ctrek3

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:24 PM

Huge waste of money!! I love music, but I just stay away from these games now, I don't even let myself get tempted. I want RB Beatles, but I know it's just a waste.

then don't buy/play them

does anyone think that these will be cheaper on black friday? i have RB2 but use the GH:WT controllers, and this is the cheapest way to get the RB2 controllers, which i would like to have.
Posted Image

#50 ctrek3

ctrek3

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:30 PM

They won't be any more expensive on Black Friday I'll tell you that much.

thats probably true. :wave:
Posted Image

#51 nintendofan9999

nintendofan9999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:54 PM

Hmmm I wanted the Ps3version bt they only have 360 version in stock... decisions decisions

#52 ctrek3

ctrek3

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:04 PM

Hmmm I wanted the Ps3version bt they only have 360 version in stock... decisions decisions

i would go with the 360, if its anything like GH, i had nothing but trouble with the ps3 version, and you don't need a usb dongle for the 360.
Posted Image

#53 PopCall

PopCall

Proud Member

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:09 PM

Yea. When I first saw this thread I went to TRU and got the same deal. HUGE waste of money! I wasted 6000+ points on a bunch of songs and ended up selling the whole thing on craigslist for $70 in perfect condtion. Huge waste of money to me: I only play the drums and would rather play other things then sitting playing songs all the time.

You're one strange fellow - why would you spend points on songs instead of playing for a while first? You say you want something but then say it is a waste, so that to me would mean you don't really want it? Anyway, most everyone I know loves these games and for 99 it's about as good of a price as I think it will ever be. I could see it at around 80 if they are at a point where they want to get them all off of the shelves.

#54 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:56 PM

I've got the Wii version along with a lot of points. I'm struggling with whether or not it's worth selling the Wii version and getting the 360 version.

#55 MillerTime2523

MillerTime2523

FUN TIMES IN CLEVELAND

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:00 PM

I saw the game for PS3 new for $20 today. Online still has it listed at $50 and the used price in store was $35, so YMMV.

cavs1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifcle1-sm.gif
Now Playing

:360: FIFA 14

#56 gryphter

gryphter

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:15 PM

In for 1! ugh, this plus BB's B2G1 starting tomorrow leaves my wallet very empty

#57 icedrake523

icedrake523

Good News Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:32 PM

I'm definitely unique.

Let me give you a little history:
I bought Rock Band 1 Special Edition Bundle on release date for XBOX360. I loved the game, played a lot, and downloaded lots of songs. Well soon enough, I got sick of moving the drums over and switching seats and then just sitting there playing through 1 game one time. It just really got old and I sold the game back to Gamestop and kept the drums.

Then, I bought RB2 (game only) on release date. I loved the game and played it a lot, but soon enough it got old and I was sick of having to pull out the drums all the time with them in the way so much. So I eventually sold the game back.

Last, being a huge music fan, I wanted to play a lot of the songs for download. So with it being $100 at TRU and I had a $20 gift card, so I went there and got it and sold my RB1 drums for $15. I really just wanted to play those new songs since I've played all the others before and so I spent a ton of points on the songs. After that I realized I wasted a ton of money spending $80 + a $20 gift card that I'd of rather used towards something more useful to me.'

Sorry to say, but it was only a huge waste of money only b/c you were pretty stupid. Why buy the special edition when you already had a drum set?

#58 Nyxaz

Nyxaz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:26 AM

360 version is probably the best. Least compatibility issues between Rock Band and Guitar Hero games and instruments. And also, more custom instruments and other accessories (fog/lights) only for 360. :drool:

Wii and PS3 both have lots more stuff that won't work with other stuff. :booty:Makes me wish I hadn't got the Wii versions a lot of times.

#59 tenchim86

tenchim86

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:47 AM

@Nyxaz: Check out RawkSD. It made me like my wii version a little more. I still kind of want to switch to PS3, but I've already spent money on all those songs...

#60 gindias

gindias

Cubs Still Suck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:28 PM

360 version is probably the best. Least compatibility issues between Rock Band and Guitar Hero games and instruments. And also, more custom instruments and other accessories (fog/lights) only for 360. :drool:

Wii and PS3 both have lots more stuff that won't work with other stuff. :booty:Makes me wish I hadn't got the Wii versions a lot of times.

The only issue I know of is with RB1 drums and those are not in this set. A DLC share group is a much better trade off than fog machines and lights.