CAGcast #173: Life is a Type 6 Stool

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][img-l=4668]3078[/img-l]Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck talk Tokyo Game Show, review Halo 3: ODST, discuss PSP Go, and highlight a ton of other games. We've also got your questions and comments from the CAGbag and Twitter and oh so much more!

[podcast]82[/podcast]
Download - 117 minutes, 49MB

Review us on iTunes![/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Photos:

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the outro music.

Update: Also Shipwreck does a really good job with all the reviews, and I respect his dedication.

I'm glad Shipwreck adds editorial to the site. Plus on the show he keeps you guys on track.
Finally...he's from the midwest (we went to the same VGL), so that makes him 100x cooler.
I'm sorry to hear about your cat... :( I have 3 cats I've had for over a decade, and while they're still in good health, I'm dreading a few years from now.

I think Cheapy D isn't star struck in the slightest by video game designers because he doesn't take them very seriously, just something for fun but nothing serious...as you can tell by his TGS coverage ;]

And hearing Cheapy talk about Bayonetta kinda reminds me of him talking about LBP :p btw Shipwreck is a nice man

I don't think anyone who cares about Tokyo Game Show coverage was exclusively following CheapyD's twitter.

Also love when Shipwreck is on.

The 360 warranty is 3 years from the original console purchase, or 75 minutes or so bitching on the phone to Microsoft about fixing their faulty hardware for free.

Shipwreck talking about Nintendo games fills a gap in the podcast that has been gone since...Shipwreck was last on the podcast. HUZZAH!

My stool is usually a type 3. Is that good or bad?

EDIT: Oh right, I almost forgot. Cheapy's mattressfucking experience was awefully funny.

Great show.. laughed hysterically at Cheapy's little story =P.

Also, I love Shipwreck, he's a lovely redheaded man and his reviews are absolutely excellent.

The best moment of every CAGcast is when Wombat drops a video game reference that CheapyD fails to get.

and The PSP go has a different memory card than the PSP.

Shipwreck has the best reviews on the planet.

shipwreck is so awsome he made a shipwreck.
and his the only one in the internet that i actually listen to his reveiw.
and i love g.i joe too!

[quote name='KingBroly']The 360 warranty is 3 years from the original console purchase, or 75 minutes or so bitching on the phone to Microsoft about fixing their faulty hardware for free.[/QUOTE]Why do people bother call the 1-800 number? Just use the online support on xbox.com. I'ts a hell of a lot faster and I've never had a problem. Even got the cardboard shipping coffin when other people were reporting that had ended.

Well I figure I might be deserving of the copy of Dissidia seeing as I was the inspiration for the title of this CAGcast as well as one of the more humorous pieces during the podcast. For you see, I am Coctopus on twitter. Had it not been for me, all of your lives would be emptier in that you would not be able to scientifically describe your poos. So by enriching your lives, specifically those of Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck, I should recieve FF: Dissidia.

Helloz, just finished listeningz. ^_^

Great show, lol I like how cheapy did what he did a TGS.

PS. Can I haz Dissidia too plzs-sorz :bouncy:

I think you left out one target audience for the PSP Go. People that don't own a PSP and hate the UMD format. Yeah, it's probably a small group, but I'm in it. I owned a PSP about 2 years ago, but found I hated the UMD format. Also, wasn't that keen on the PSP itself, a little too wide and thick (that's what she said.) So, yeah, I'll be getting a PSP Go. I want to play some the games I've missed out on over the last couple of years.

Enjoyed the show, having three commentators was really good. Reminded me of Monday Night Football. Maybe last years crew, where Cheapy plays the part of Tony Kornheiser, bald, Jewish, and doesn't really pay attention to the subject at hand. Also, Shipwreck is no Jon Gruden. That's the only nice thing I could think of for the Ginger boy.

Shipwreck is the Icing on the cake!!! Always informative and precise! That was awesome!!! Keep up the continued use of Poop and masturbation stories... they are HILARIOUS!! Can Wombat or Cheapy get Shipwreck to drop an F-Bomb on the show? We were unsuccessful on ours :(. Keep it up guys! U make my morning commute to work worth the long trip with 2 hour CAGcasts!

I was upset at seeing how light the show is in the description, but then I saw that the length is close to two hours!

F' Yeah, Cheapy and Wombat! I hope Wombat rips apart Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.

coors light + late night taco bell = type 7 stool :)

i normally dont comment but man do i want dissidia. i think shipwreck should become a regular on the show. the chemistry between the 3 of them sounds friendlier/funnier than when its just cheapy and wombat.

Cheapy, i feel so bad for you. why didn't your wife offer to give you a handjob or a blowie? so sad...GREAT STORY tho! I loled. *hugs*

btw, Shipwreck is one dayam fine sessy red-head.

Can't wait to listen to a new show. I just starting listening last week on a business trip. Listened to about 10 shows in 2 days while waiting or flying. Iphone is great for downloading anywhere.

Cheapy...try taking melatonin (3 mg) the next time you fly. It helps with jet lag.

You guys should figure out a way to get a third person on more often. Not all the time, wouldn't want to screw up the good thing you've got going, but gives the show a little extra energy from time-to-time.

Plus, I miss hearing Shipwreck's velvety voice when he isn't doing his show with Mrs. Ship.

ODST is definitely a good game but to me it has the weakest campaign of the Halo franchise thus far. The action is disjointed by the hub world since each mission literally drops you into each fight. You might as well be the Chief in each one since you pretty much take on a horde on your own. The team AI is useless anyway so you'll find yourself alone more often than not. On top of that, there are some pretty poor design decision like not being able to use bubble shields even though the enemies do and no dual wielding which I honestly don't understand why it's missing.

The hub world itself would be better if you didn't need to have night vision on almost all the time. It really takes away from the scenery and reduces it to outlines which while neat destroys the purpose of building this solitary atmosphere. Worse is the fact that while sometimes the game encourages stealth it doesn't matter when some enemies can see you in the fucking dark. I mean really. What's the point if that's going to happen? On top of that, the forced fire fight sections in the hub world feel completely out of place since it pretty much gives the impression that the Covenant know you're wondering around but choose to attack you intermittently.

At $40, it is a solid buy which luckily is the case at a lot of online retailers. For $60, however, it isn't worth it. The story of the ODSTs is shallow at best and very predictable. However, the audio logs scattered about the city tell a great parallel story with some interesting characters thrown in. I actually recommened hunting them down since it is done quite well.

I hope Shipwreck does a full review of the game since he's a great reviewer. He always seems to find something he likes about a game instead of bashing it into the ground. Nice job, ship. ;)

Dreams come true on twitter...unless your dream is to be considered as legitimate media coverage

The point of the PSPGo is to sell PS3's by making it look like a better value

The mattress sex story had me in laughing for awhile. Also I don't know who's been dissing Shipwreck because he's awesome on the podcasts. I like hearing him *shoot the shit* and not just about reviews of shitty games. He adds a nice dynamic that is sometimes lost between Cheapy and Wombat.

Shipwreck was on FIRE!! I am glad he came on the show for this week. He should come on the show more often. I like to get a three person perspective.

Great show, guys! Don't know what type it is, but I always enjoy the "No mess" stools. Like opening a present, except this present is nothing on the paper!

I think Shipwreck brings a lot to the show and I hope to listen to more Cagforeplay real soon! Shipwreck is awesome! I also know what it's like putting down a cat you've had forever. Mine had to be put down when I was in college. We had the cat 20 years. Ever since I was in preschool. :(

I do want to say seeing Shipwreck return in ANY capacity is a good thing as I too miss his usual podcast. Especially considering I spend 40 hours a week in a cubicle and as such listen to a LOT of podcasts. Missing out on that one in particular makes my usual roundup feel a little less full. Oh well, cannot drag the feedback down too much.

I did want to address something and I know I'm probably going to get a third quote on the cast making me sound like a douche but whatever, I want to address the PSP Go. You see, I'm the kind of guy the system was targeted at. But there IS a problem, of course. Consider for a moment the following picture.
pspcollection.jpg

That was from around a year ago and I have since added about 10-15 games to that selection, including the imported Macross 7 game. You see, despite this massive collection of UMD games, I WAS looking forward to PSP Go for many reasons. I long ago accepted that my collection is just not going to tranfers to Go. I mean LOOK at it. Will 60-70 games even FIT on a 16GB PSP Go? Especially when you add the additional content like all the free DLC for Wipeout Pure, Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce, and all my Traxxpad save files? Doubtful.

But truth be told, I would gladly take the opportunity to have a dedicated PSP machine for the various pieces of PSN content. I've learned something of myself and it's that I hate lugging around DS carts and UMDs. I try to stick to 2-3 games when I travel. But already I have several games I bought on PSN forcing me to look into an 8GB MS Pro Duo here pretty soon. I wasn't looking at Go as a replacement for my PSP mainly because my collection is too vast and regionally diverse (I have nearly 20 import games... SCEA is very unlikely to give me credit on Play-asia purchases through your website), I was looking at it as a companion machine. Someplace to download Unbound Saga, Thexter Neo, Pixeljunk Monsters, Crash Bandicoot, and Final Fantasy VII. In other words, I'm the idiot Sony is targeting. I love my PSP and keep fighting the temptation for a Go.

And because I love my PSP, there is another issue people keep forgetting when bashing the Digital Distribution initiative of PSP. Have you been to a PSP section in a store lately? Pardon my french but it's fucking depressing. Meijers has two rows of games, nine rows of Daddy Day Care and Anaconda. Gamestop has officially reduced their PSP selection to smaller than Gamecubes area (and only 25% of that is not used). Best Buy and Walmart have the most robust selections and even that focuses on Greatest Hits. I wanted Steambot Chronicles Day 1, no store in town, a college town where gaming is big, stocked this Atlus RPG. NONE. By the time I gave up the chase seven days later, Amazon was on backstock for the game and I had to wait. For a PSP enthusiast, that's where we are at. Reduced only to internet shopping because no stores support the platform in a respectable way. So yes, when you buy Digitally, you lose trade-in value... but c'mon, it's a PSP game. I'm sure people are really upset over the $5 you can't get back when you're done with Dissidia. And that becomes a game feeding a store that refuses to stock NEW PSP games and laughs when you go in to preorder Soul Calibur (screw you, gamecrazy). I would prefer Sony switch to the digital method with PSN as opposed to the alternative, the very real threat of platform death outside of Japan.

So with that, why am I not buying the Go despite many reasons for the platform? Because SCEA seems hellbent on making PSP Go a horrible value proposition. Think of it this way, SCEE gives you GT PSP, and three other PSN games. With that, I'd be VERY interested in the $250 price tag. Without it, not buying until it drops. If SCEA was smart, every PSP Go would have $40 instore credit the first time they log into PSN. It would give people a chance to explore the variety of offerings. I know that would be enough to push me over. But for now, I'm giving SCEA six months to find out what they really want to do with PSP. Maybe if it's $200 in March, I'll snag one. In the meantime, I have to wait for an 8GB MS to arrive in the mail, it has an October 1st delivery date...

shipwreck is the coolest. honestly i'm a little jealous of him: he gets free games, lives in the chili capital, married to someone who loves games, and stars in a podcast.

also, shipwreck has a cool nickname

bread's done
Back