Captain Lou Albano (1933-2009) memorial wrestling topic

neocisco

CAGiversary!
Feedback
313 (100%)
Due to his passing (and JJSP's suggestion) I'm transitioning this into a Lou Albano memorial topic. My strongest memory of him is when he was managing The British Bulldogs when I was a wee lad but that was at the end of his career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Albano

Louis Vincent Albano (July 29, 1933–October 14, 2009),[2] better known by his ring name Captain Lou Albano, was an American professional wrestler, manager and actor. With an over-the-top personality and a penchant for boisterous declarations, Albano was the epitome of the antagonistic manager that raised the ire of wrestlers and incited the anger of spectators. Throughout his 42-year career, Albano guided 15 different tag teams and four singles competitors to championship gold. A unique showman, with an elongated beard, rubber band facial piercings, and loud outfits, he was the forefather of the 1980s Rock 'n' Wrestling Connection. Collaborating with Cyndi Lauper, Albano helped usher in wrestling's crossover success with a mainstream audience. Capitalizing on his success, he later ventured into Hollywood with various television, film, and music projects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0IFXq7iFCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_vwhT5psrI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zKj9zmLAjs

Ravishing Rick Rude wrestling topic

There may have been a Rick Rude topic once but it's been so long that it doesn't matter at this point. Rude had a pretty long career so you can read his wiki page for a synopsis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rude

Rick Rude knew how to work a crowd to the point that they absolutely hated his guts. IMO, one of the best heels of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gA9NbyvPe4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEMrxa__a6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhphKNs0Kac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESJ45su-N-c&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF-jFQU1cME&feature=channel_page

Last edited by a moderator:
His best promos were in the WWF and his best in ring work was in WCW. He cut his hair 5-7 years too late. One of the many who could have been champ if Hogan wasn't an egomaniac who had to hold the title for 5 out of 6 years and face fat slugs the whole time.

Rude was pretty awesome everywhere he went. Even as an announcer in ECW, he did a great job selling the talent.

Rick Rude was amazing and was one of the most in shape wrestlers of his time....which made it easy to cal all of us fat lol
R.I.P

Oh man, I rememeber hating Rude as a kid just because he was "Rude."

Aside from bits and pieces, this SD was really good. Loved the Rock promo and the Eddie tribute.

Excellent OP for the thread. Hard to believe that hair was acceptable, even attractive at one point though.

On a very unrelated note, I'm reading through Jericho's book now and loving it so far. Why haven't I read it by now? I ask myself that after every chapter. I guess his next book is sometime this year.

I remember that one night where Rick Rude was on WWF AND WCW AT THE SAME TIME! i was like damn, you can tell that shit is taped...

[quote name='TruthinessFC']Excellent OP for the thread. Hard to believe that hair was acceptable, even attractive at one point though.[/QUOTE]

Wrestling has always been years behind the curve on haircuts. Exhibit A: Matt Hardy.

Just popped in the WWE Greatest wrestling stars of the 90s DVD I took out from the library, and man am I glad I didn't plunk down the money for this. It's awesome and shitty at the same time. Too short for the truly great wrestlers (i.e. The Rock, HBK, etc.) and not in depth enough or too long for the wrestlers the were good and memorable (Yokozuna). This is all in respect to the duration that they could fit on the DVD and true rationing of time they should have dealt out. Also, what's even more disappointing is a lack of mention for Vader or pretty much any ECW wrestler. Bah. At least the majority of the matches are really good. Man do I miss 90's wrestling. Hopefully the 201X wrestling era will not suck as much as this past era.

Also, I would have watched more of Smackdown tonight, but Star Wars Clone Wars was awesome and it coincided with Dollhouse. Plus, I saw too much midget, Michael Cole, and what seemed like a dumb party.

[quote name='TheRock88']Best thing about Rude, the airbrushed tights. My favorite is the one with his face on it.[/QUOTE]

My favorite was the ones with Jake Roberts' wife's face on them.

I remember watching the derobing of rude. Those were the days when I'd stay up at 2am to catch the WWF shows. And on a slight tangent, where's Val Venis?

[quote name='mykevermin']I doubt they would have put the title on someone of Rude's size.[/QUOTE]

He was 6'3, 250 and ripped to shreds. Taller than Steve Austin and about the same weight.

I don't think his size was the reason he never got a run with the title - Hogan was pretty much THE guy at that point, and they just weren't comfortable with heel world champs.

The guy was just so unlikable, and drew genuine heat. There's no doubt he'd have been world champ if he'd peaked five years later. Anytime outside of the Hogan run, he'd have been world champ based on his physique alone. And he had so much more to offer besides that.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I remember watching the derobing of rude. Those were the days when I'd stay up at 2am to catch the WWF shows. And on a slight tangent, where's Val Venis?[/QUOTE]
I think / hope that they wished him the best in his future endeavors.

Rude was way too lean to be considered for WWF Champion at the time, plus, he didn't really hit his peak as a heel until '92. And he kinda got a world title in WCW anyway in the form of the B-level WCW International World Title, so I didn't mind him not having the WWF Title. He got to hold Big Gold, and that was good enough for me. He was also the WCCW World Champion, although the World Title-ness of that belt is up for debate given the company's decline by the time he held it. I've been fortunate enough to see his work from every era, and except for his earliest work in Mid South, he always seemed to have that X factor - including during his first big push in Memphis.

SD thoughts repost from the dead thread -

The show started off great with an awesome video package, then Batista and Kane had a bad match highlighted by Batista doing a slow walking Batista bomb while Grisham acted astonished. The party stuff was amusing. I thought Jericho's wacky facial expressions were among his funniest ever, and Shieky being either humbled or Heimliched by Hurricane was funny. Vickie's return was done pretty well, and I like that she'll be used to try and get a new guy over. Escobar didn't say much, but had some kind of presence to him, so that's good. Punk declaring this the PROHIBITION ERA of SmackDown ruled.

Match-wise, this wasn't such a great show outside of the main event, which was a good, old school-style match highlighted by Orton just beating the daylights out of Cena with a million forearms to the chest. While the matches mostly underwhelmed, the promos didn't - it was a night of awesome mic work. Rock's promo was a classic, and really highlighted just how sterile most promos are now. His was full of life and put the PPV over as a bigger deal in five minutes than WWE had done in weeks. Just mentioning Dolph and Punk in this epic promo raises their stature a bit - sure, he mocked them, but he mocks everyone, and didn't mention anyone else by name except for 'Taker. Speaking of which, his promo was really good, and made it seem like not only will he win the title on Sunday, but he'll massacre Punk in the process.

Screens -

Quotes -

Grisham - WHAT A WAY TO OPEN THE TENTH ANNIVERSARY OF SMACKDOWN CELEBRATION! BATISTA VERSUS KANE!
J.R. - Kane is attacking the NON-DOMINANT ARM OF BATISTA!
(after a slow walking Batista Bomb)Grisham - WHAT AN ATHLETIC FEAT OF EPIC PROPORTIONS!
Brawler - HOW ‘BOUT DEM YANKEES!?
Long - Sorry, but I’m not a Yankees fan.
(after Horny slaps Maria’s ass)Cole - VINTAGE HORNSWOGGLE!
Long - I’ll have a Diet Pespi.
Finlay - Diet Pepsi? No. Hornswoggle, FOUR IRISH WHISKEYS!
Cole - VINTAGE FINLAY!
Punk - Don’t you drink that!
Cole - VINTAGE PUNK!
Punk - Aren’t you ashamed of yourselves? AS LONG AS I’M HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION, NO MORE ALCOHOL! PROHIBITION RULES! Watch the main event and find out why Straight Edge rules!
Vickie - EXCUSE ME!
Long - Thanks for coming.
Vickie - I cannot believe you lifted the Undertaker’s Hell’s Gate submission…some people just don’t have a backbone to run this show.
Escobar - I hope I’m not interrupting anything.
Long - Who and what are you?
Vickie - This is my hot, little boyfriend - Eric.
Escobar - I’m gonna introduce to the world…ESSSSCOOOBARRRRR!
Vickie - Don’t you know about him? This is your show - Mr. McMahon signed him today, and allowed me to return to SmackDown! You okay….
Santinotaker - THEODORE LONG! This is a great costume party!
Cole - VINTAGE SHRIMP!
Cole - Hornswoggle, get me more SHRIMP! GET IT!? (Horny kicks him)
MVP - SHEIKY BABY! I SHOW YOU!
Ryder - YOU’RE GONNA LET DA SHEIK IN AND NOT ZACH RYDER!?
Sheiky - YOU KNOW IT, JABRONI!
J.R. - Look who’s starting this match - the Miz and Morrison!
Grisham - I hope they’re still on each others’ Christmas card lists!
Grisham - Who has the advantage in the three-way? Is it Kofi with his fresh outta the gym hops!?
J.R. - I know that you’re seeing a man who WWE officials are looking towards as the future of World Wrestling Entertainment.
Grisham - The same can be said for Jack Swagger.
Grisham - Kofi, from Ghana, West Africa. Spends a lot of time in Jamaica.
Yoshi - SEXY BOY!
Funaka - I’M NOT YOUR BOY TOY!
Sheiky - IRAN!
Slaughter - USA! YOU MAGGOT! (Sheiky chokes, Hurricane gives him the heimlich)
Jericho - Hey! Hey! (tells Show to yell)
Show - HEY!
Jericho - We should be the guests of honor since we were on the debut of SD ten years ago. We have the most longevity in SD history. Start showing us the respect we deserve.
(after Cole pukes on Jericho)Styles - OH MY GOD!
Grisham - This is where the Declaration of Independence was read, J.R. 1776 - you were just a baby then.
Rock - Hello, DWAYNE JOHNSON has returned to Friday nights…that doesn’t feel right. The People’s Champion has found his way to the WWE…Nah…One more time…Hygenically, the great one’s breath has never been better…that’s money! That’s not the one. I KNOW! Spiritually, the Brahma Bull is one with nature. WOW! THAT SUCKED! Who in the blue Hell is Dolph Ziggler? Is that my latte? FINALLY! Wait… THAT’S IT! FINALLY! FINALLY! ON THE SHOW HE STARTED! HE PUT ON THE MAP! THE SHOW NAMED AFTER HIM! FINALLY THE ROCK HAS COME BACK TO SMACK DOWN! Take this mic, turn it sideways and shove it straight up your…10 YEARS SMACKDOWN HAS BEEN ON THE AIR AND ROCK WAS THERE WHEN IT ALL BEGAN! FROM THE DAY THE ROCK SAID THE WORDS THAT CHANGED THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE - LAYING THE SMACKDOWN ON ALL YOUR CANDY ASSES! UNLEASHING THE ROCK BOTTOM AND WHEN THE ROCK’S BABY LEFT HIM AND HE FOUND A NEW PLACE TO DWELL AT THE SMACKDOWN HOTEL! I KNOW I SOUND GOOD, I’M THE ROCK! From the first time the Rock walked out on SD as WWE CHAMPION AND EVERYONE FROM BERLIN TO BOSTON WAS CHANTING THE ROCK’S NAME…. NOW, TEN YEARS LATER…ROCK WANTS TO HEAR IT AGAIN! THEY WERE CHANTING THE ROCK’S NAME…. (fans chant Rocky) Now, 10 years later…who’s champion now? Some guy named CM Punk…(fans boo) Straight edge dude. Doesn’t drink, smoke, and sits down when he’s using the toilet. Don’t call him CM Punk, he should be called BM Punk. For Bowel Movement, which is what the audience wants to take when you start talking! The Rock has never faced Punk, but I have faced Punk’s opponent - THE UNDERTAKER! The Rock and the Undertaker have history - WE’VE MADE HISTORY! SOLD OUT ARENAS ALL AROUND THE WORLD! ROCK WAS WHOOPING THE UNDERTAKER’S ASS ALL OVER THE WORLD! Well, not technically. I won once. By disqualificationn. Let’s edit. Why? BECAUSE THE UNDERTAKER IS 6 FOOT 10 AND I DON’T WANNA GET TOMBSTONED. Are you arguing with me? COME HERE! Have you ever been tombstoned? SHUT YOUR MOUTH! You think it’s some kind of pleasant experience!? IT DOESN’T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK. Nice shirt, Prada. Shave that! THAT’S DISTURBING! But not as disturbing as this Sunday night. HELL IN THE CELL, THERE’S GONNA BE A NEW WORLD CHAMPION! THE ROCK SAYS THERE’S GONNA BE A NEW WORLD CHAMPION! A NEW ERA WILL BE BORN! BUT NO MATTER WHAT, THIS SHOW WILL ALWAYS BELONG TO THE JABRONI-BEATING, PIE-EATING, AND NOW THAT HE’S TRIED SMACKDOWN, IT’S TIME FOR HIM TO GUEST HOST RAW… THE ROCK WILL BE THE MOST ELECTRIFYING HOST THEY’VE EVER SEEN! THERE’S ONLY ONE…IF YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKING!
J.R. - Tell ‘em how they are.
Grisham - There’s Kelly, Maria…
J.R. - NOT THEIR NAMES!
Grisham- They’re smart, powerful…
J.R. - SMART, SEXY, AND POWERFUL!
J.R. - Kelly was drinking earlier - she won’t be driving home. They’re responsible young women.
J..R - Boy, I set you and no one can drop the ball like you.
Grisham - IT’S DIVAS, DIVAS, EVERYWHERE!
J.R. - We’re seeing a pier-six brawl!
Grisham - It’s like a Boston massacre!
Taker - CM Punk, you re about to enter the domain of the Undertaker. The domain of eternal suffering. A place where there is no forgiveness. I WILL RECLAIM THE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP and in the process, knock you from the black forest of self-righteousness. And the pills and alcohol that you despise you soon will crave. You soon will need. Welcome to Hell’s playground! Welcome to Satan’s structure! Welcome to Hell in a Cell!
Grisham - IT’S THE BIGGEST PARTY BOSTON HAS SEEN SINCE THE BOSTON TEA PARTY - THE TENTH ANNIVERSARY OF SMACKDOWN!
Drew - I’ve got something I wanna say! As the newest member of SD, I’d like to make a toast - here’s to SD - here’s to your future world champion. HERE’S TO DREW MCINTYRE! Here’s to the party just getting started! (Truth attacks)
Roberts - THIS IS THE BIGGEST 8-MAN TAG TEAM MATCH IN THE HISTORY OF SMACKDOWN!
Grisham - Why do WWE parties always end with a catastrophic ending?
J.R. - THIS SHOULD BE A MIND-BENDING 8-MAN TAG!
J.R. - WHAT A CHOP! Can I do that to you later?
Grisham - Um, you can try.
J.R. - THE WORLD CHAMPION GOT A NEAR-FALL ON THE WWE CHAMPION! HOW OFTEN DO YOU SEE THAT!?
J.R. - Cena LITERALLY WILLS HIMSELF OFF THE CANVAS!
J.R. - There’s no question that Legacy is a big part of WWE’s future - and the only question is WHEN WILL THAT HAPPEN!? WILL IT BE SUNDAY!? The sons of DiBiase and Rhodes - two of the most famous names in the annals of WWE history!
Grisham - RIGHT NOW, CENA APPEARS TO BE JUST A MERE MORTAL!
J.R. - HARLEY RACE HIGH KNEE!
J.R. - DOUBLE A SPINEBUSTER!
Grisham - IT’S A LONELY MAN’S ALLEY FOR RANDY ORTON!
J.R. - RANDY ORTON, ON THIS NIGHT, WILL REST IN PEACE!

[quote name='mykevermin']I totally agree with pitfallharry. That shit was outrageous when it first aired.

My, how much has changed culturally.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, putting the face of your hated rival's wife on your crotch still seems pretty outrageous to me.:)

We had a Rude topic years ago so its cool to have one again.

I remember that infamous evening when he was on Raw & Nitro almost at exact same time. He was the reason Vince made Raw be live mostly since that night. He had great mic skills throughout his career and I enjoyed watching him work.

I was always one to like the heels as a Kid and Rude was one of my favorites. He started getting my attention in WCCW managed by Percy Pringle (future Paul Bearer) and heading out to the ring with "Smooth Operator" playing. Rude was the shit. I think he held the WCW US title for a Year straight at one point. I didn't even notice at the time. He made the chase to get that belt off of him a major thing. I know that's what heels are suppose to do, but damn you just don't see it much any more and you don't see it like Rude made it EVER.

Rude wrestling Steamboat on one of the early Royal Rumble PPV's was awesome, and he had some great matches in WCW against Sting. Excellent choice for a topic.

One of the all time great heels, I remember hating him when I was a kid cause he would always find ways to keep the US belt and shit on Sting and Steamboat :)

lashley-1.gif

Oh, Bobby.

Random bit of trivia: Rick Rude went to Robbinsdale High School in Robbinsdale, MN along with Curt Hennig, Barry Darsow, Nikita Koloff, Tom Zenk, John Nord, and Brady Boone.

According to Wiki, he was also on the ECWTV show the same week that he did Raw and Nitro on the same night.

-

There's a spoiler out for the Bragging Rights PPV that says the main event will be a Smackdown vs. Raw "Ultimate Survival" match featuring the winners of the night's matches (sort of like Survivor Series 1990 where we got Hogan, Warrior, and I think Tito Santana against like 9 different heels).

Which reminds me, I miss these:

1990.jpg

I knew that there was a group of wrestlers from the Twin Cities who were all from the same general area. But I did have to google Brady Boone.

:rofl: Battle Kat!

[quote name='JJSP']Random bit of trivia: Rick Rude went to Robbinsdale High School in Robbinsdale, MN along with Curt Hennig, Barry Darsow, Nikita Koloff, Tom Zenk, John Nord, and Brady Boone.

According to Wiki, he was also on the ECWTV show the same week that he did Raw and Nitro on the same night.

-

There's a spoiler out for the Bragging Rights PPV that says the main event will be a Smackdown vs. Raw "Ultimate Survival" match featuring the winners of the night's matches (sort of like Survivor Series 1990 where we got Hogan, Warrior, and I think Tito Santana against like 9 different heels).

1990.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Ahhh yes, that was when the Undertaker debuted in the WWF/E.

[quote name='pimpster4183']i remember when Rude had Miss Elizabeth i believe airbrushed on his tights, that shit was classic![/QUOTE]

It was Jake the Snakes wife and, yes, that shit was classic. I was just starting to really watch WWF at that time and that feud was part of what got me hooked.

I can't remember the last time a mid card fued was that important in the WWE.

[quote name='JJSP']Random bit of trivia: Rick Rude went to Robbinsdale High School in Robbinsdale, MN along with Curt Hennig, Barry Darsow, Nikita Koloff, Tom Zenk, John Nord, and Brady Boone.

-

1990.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Who was the surprise person for that team?

[quote name='strongpimphand']Who was the surprise person for that team?[/QUOTE]

The Undertaker.

Also when I read about the Bragging Rights PPV concept I remembered this specific event, I actually like the concept a lot. Could be fun.

^I totally called the debut of the Undertaker.

To be fair, I didn't know his name or gimmick, but I *knew* it was going to be that Mean Mark dude from WCW.

My neighbor offered me tickets to the 1988 Survivor Series (the one with the 10 on 10 tag team match), but I couldn't go because my mom wouldn't let me miss dinner with the family. :(

So, R-Truth vs. Drew McIntyre was announced for the PPV. Strange, as they haven't built that storyline much for the past couple weeks. I guess any semblance of an R-Truth push is gone. This should be a glorified squash.

On he plus side, this could be a prime opportunity for someone to mess up R-Truth's intro by saying something besides "what's up."

Atleast the Truth will get a nice PPV check. I remember in high school one of my teachers was best friends with Road Dogg and he told me that Road Dogg would get a PPV check for $150,000 back in the DX hay day.

Not that anyone cares......

A friend of mine was at a show in PA this weekend that had some celebs like Ice-T and several random wrestlers.

He knew Ive got a super HUUUUUUGE crush on Tna's ODB...dont ask why...I cant explain it....Either way, I got a random phone call yesterday and as it turns out, he had her call me to chat for a few mins while the autograph line was slow. Funny part was she laughed he was gonna take a pic of her talking to me for shits an giggles and I told her she had to show off at least 1 tat....Ive got a thing for chicks with tats...

ODB1.jpg

ODB2.jpg

ODB3.jpg

She was really cool to chat with for a couple of mins but she had to go because Gorgeous George was next to her and she had to go pee...so they both had to go......

[quote name='Will']Not that anyone cares......

A friend of mine was at a show in PA this weekend that had some celebs like Ice-T and several random wrestlers.

He knew Ive got a super HUUUUUUGE crush on Tna's ODB...dont ask why...I cant explain it....Either way, I got a random phone call yesterday and as it turns out, he had her call me to chat for a few mins while the autograph line was slow.
.[/QUOTE]

I thought I was the only one who was into ODB. Haha. That's cool your friend hooked you up like that.

bread's done
Back