CAGcast #174: Shoplifting Grapefruits and Other Tasteless Metaphors

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#91 RCD

RCD

Team Drift Fusion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:13 AM

i never sold anything on ebay but how much does it cost to post something up for sale

BTW

wombat is the best
America = Made In China™ « ®©Ð »

#92 Microshock

Microshock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:24 AM

That was a decent show. I want to address Wombat's comments about super hard games. Just because they are really hard does not mean they are bad games, it just means a certain user cannot beat it, it's not a testament to the quality of it.

Now just like movies, there are different types of GAMES. Not all of them have to be easy and simply to go thru, some like a really hard challenge and apparently Demon Souls offer that, and its very rewarding indeed. And also like movies, some require patience to get the rewards. Now I AM NOT that type of gamer, I am not a patient gamer, I just want pure simple fun.

Wombat, don't review difficult games, now we know that you'll simply give it a lower score because you got really frustrated at it.
Thank you Shipwreck for not reviewing it, its better than giving it a skewed score.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - July 1, 2011 (was AWESOME)
STEAM- Microshocky Origin/Battlelog Microshock

#93 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:12 AM

The NBA 2K10 locker description sounds like they just took the GTA IV CE lockers that didn't sell and repackaged them.

Wombat was wrong about the South Park XBLA game. It's fun and has a lot of fan service, too.

Doesn't Forza 2 let you switch to the car(s) that an event requires without going back to your garage?

Capcom's ripping you off with re-releases of the same game with new content? Impossible.

Good show. Shipwreck should stay on every week so he can be the Tony Reali of the show and keep you two from spreading too much misinformation.

#94 terpkristin

terpkristin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:13 AM

I still <3 shipwreck on the podcast.

And I thought this week's episode was freaking great.

And I might be drunk

/tk
terpkristin
Find me on XBLA and PSN as terpkristin
Wii: 4059 1919 9282 7625
Now Playing: trying to go through the stack of games...
Trying to update the blog regularly.. http://gimpygal.blogspot.com
http://kristin.seidelmann-owners.com/

#95 donkeydrop

donkeydrop

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:20 AM

What was Wombat's comment about "100 guys" referring to? It flew right over my head. Do I really want to know?

#96 soccerstud652

soccerstud652

J-E-T-S JETSJETSJETS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:32 AM

Thank you all for your input / advice on MUAII. I think I'll skip this one and pick up Wolverine instead.
My eBay link.
I am PayPal verified and have 100% feedback since June 2004.

#97 dopa345

dopa345

All around nice guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:42 AM

Nice show. I also was not the biggest fan of MUA so like Cheapy I have zero interest in MUA II.

I also completely agree with Wombat about reviewing difficult games. Any game that is so hard as to be unplayable for the majority of gamers without any option to lower the difficulty should be dinged appropriately.

#98 Alandrafts

Alandrafts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:55 AM

Wombat -- that Fisher-Price ball popper is the worst!! We have two of them because each kid got one for a birthday gift and won't give it up. So I get to chase 20 balls around the house to that God-awful music. The upside is that eventually the kids jam the ball chute with something and you get a bit of a breather until the guilt kicks in and you fix it. For what it's worth, PIzza Elmo is a close second for annoying kid toys (he sings, then his pizza sings -- it's pretty freaky).

#99 SithRico

SithRico

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:02 AM

I don't know if I can trust Wombat about the William's Pinball HOF.
I trusted on buying I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES!!!1NIT!!!1
It was fun until the song was over. Then I wasn't having fun anymore.
Felt like it was never going to end. I really love pinball games. But, with the buy 2 get one I might just get it.

#100 I Am ProZac

I Am ProZac

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:09 AM

Shipwreck should keep coming on. The third person really does make the show more interesting, and he works well with Cheapy and Wombat.

Also, in regards to the question of "Can you review Demon's Soul if you can't progress through the game because it's too hard?" Well, yes. It's perfectly fine to offer initial impressions and what you thought of the difficulty. A person's opinion is exactly what a 'review' is. The trouble is in review numbers. A number can't really convey a good impression of how a game is, especially when you haven't played a large portion of it. There's just no way to express that on a scale. Recently, I've been avoiding reviews completely, and my 'reviews' come from listening to various podcasts (RebelFM, CAGcast, Giant Bomb, etc). I feel I get a much better idea of what people think of a game like this, and it's much easier to make a decision on if I would like it or not. Audio reviews: the way of the future.
"It is not enough to succeed; Others must fail."

#101 hufferstl

hufferstl

Get your symbols kid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:20 AM

I really dig the show when shipwreck joins in on the fun. I''m going to start torrenting Season 1 of Sons of Anarchy as soon as I catch up on True Blood.

The old bridge used to be called the new bridge.

card.png

#102 Treythalomew

Treythalomew

Add me on PSN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:23 AM

Wow hearing Shipwreck say my name was about as startling as possible. Nothing like driving in the car and listening to the podcast and realizing that you just hear your name 20 seconds late.

I knew I should have been watching Sons of Anarchy. It seems like the kinds of things that CheapyD likes, I usually like. I just said a week ago that I should try watching that show but now that it has the official CheapyD stamp of approval, I must watch.
Posted Image

#103 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:35 AM

Here's something I don't understand:

You guys (Cheapy and Wombat, anyways) have Wiis, yet you haven't turned them on nor played them in weeks or even months. Why do either of you still have the console if you're not going to play them? You should at least unplug them (if you haven't already) to save on energy costs.

Why not try to sell the consoles, or are you both waiting for that hella-sweet Wii game to come around. Are there any Wii titles that either of you are excited about, and which will force you to finally resume playing that console that you've been neglecting/ignoring for so long?

You should trade in your consoles or sell them to get money for games that you'll at least play!

#104 Hbomb5

Hbomb5

Cross Border Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:47 AM

I don't know if I can trust Wombat about the William's Pinball HOF.
I trusted on buying I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES!!!1NIT!!!1
It was fun until the song was over. Then I wasn't having fun anymore.
Felt like it was never going to end. I really love pinball games. But, with the buy 2 get one I might just get it.

Well, IMAGWZII is only 80 MS points, or $1. For a $1 it's not bad. It does its job.

Oh, Wombat, you were really awesome on the CAGcast this week for some reason. One of your best in awhile. It seemed like you had much more energy.
Cross Border Gaming Podcast- http://crossbordergaming.com Discussing the latest games, busting Cheapy's chops, and hating on Jack White. (Blue Orchid sucks!)

Hblog- http://hbombgames.com
The Internet's newest home for gaming news, reviews, commentary, and community.

I am NOT on the glue!

#105 Droogs

Droogs

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:19 AM

I enjoyed the show again but was sad that there was no poop talk in this episode.

I don't know why you guys keep saying the William's Pinball Collection costs $30. It costs $40 everywhere besides Amazon.

#106 jaystaeb8

jaystaeb8

Too Little Time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:20 AM

Good show, nice to hear shipwreck becoming a regular. His ability to play an obscene amount of games versus those of us with kids gives good insight into what may or may not be worth our money.

Wombat I agree that the ball popper is annoying, but the kids love it so much how can you deny them such a simple pleasure. Our kids liked theirs so much that both grandmas bought one for their house. What is the most difficult thing to get out that your daughter has stuck in hers. My son stuck a car in there and it wedged into the curve perfectly and took some heavy force to get out.

#107 liberaltugboat

liberaltugboat

Don't Tug on Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:51 AM

Wombat needs to crack more jokes... his humor is awesome in this episode.
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/LiberalTugboat

Liberating the world... one Tug at a time.

#108 Shivy

Shivy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:13 AM

I really like having Shipwreck around on the show. The more you can have him pop in, the better. He kinda evens out the types of gamers that Wombat and Cheapy are. It's a true gaming Trifecta with you three joining forces.

#109 SSPrelude

SSPrelude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:00 AM

Another great show guys. I hope Shipwreak would be a regular on the show. Keep up the good work.

#110 calmdude95

calmdude95

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:47 AM

Another great show, I love it when shipwreck comes on the show.

#111 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:03 PM

Shipwreck, as soon you read this post, play Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2's Ultimate Ninja Mission #1. I suggest you get a stopwatch, because I request a time.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#112 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:49 PM

I knew I should have been watching Sons of Anarchy. It seems like the kinds of things that CheapyD likes, I usually like. I just said a week ago that I should try watching that show but now that it has the official CheapyD stamp of approval, I must watch.

I forgot to post a link to the book I recommended. Will add it to the OP now too:

Under and Alone: The True Story of the Undercover Agent Who Infiltrated America's Most Violent Outlaw Motorcycle Gang

#113 jalopez86

jalopez86

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:49 PM

Cheapy's "Chicken George" accent was suspiciously good. I don't really know what to think about that. I'm definitely picking up Pinball Hall of Fame for the PS3 though. Shipwreck was, as always, solid.

#114 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:31 PM

Wombat you're poo story was funny, poor Tai.

Great show it kept me entertained during my 2 hr commute

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#115 Jazar

Jazar

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:00 PM

CheapyD you were wondernig how CAG will enjoy Demon's Souls when they get their hands on it, People seem to be enjoyinig it quite a bit: http://www.cheapassg...ewpost&t=199633

You bring up the question about "what's the point of a game if it's not fun". It makes me think about movies and entertainment as a whole. Why do people watch scary movies? Sometimes the "fun" is experiencing the tense and frightening moments and then coming out the other side.

I think people have made a big deal about the game's difficulty. The reason why Demon's Souls is getting so much attention and affection is because these days games have become more or less a walking tour of environments and scenarios. There's no challenge. Checkpoints are either on demand or extremely frequent. Death has no repercussions. You just go from A to B, checking out the levels and action set pieces. Demon's Soul's enjoyment comes from learning the mechanics and mastering the game. That's where the fun is. The gameplay is humbling at first but there's no greater satisfaction then taking out a boss, getting your body back, then later revisiting the level and wiping the floor with the competition who previously made you whimper in a corner. Also, it's not about grinding with Demon's Souls (for the most part). Your knowledge of the combat system and level design is what makes revisiting levels so fearless. Now I'm not saying every game should be like this but it's a breath of fresh air to have a game like DS come along after so many games that just trod along with no real satisfying challenges that aren't in the crazy tedious nature like some achievements.

#116 Sega dude

Sega dude

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:09 PM

Great show! Its always funny and very informative!

#117 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:48 PM

Ship

I found links to the Firecore console you were talking about on buy.com
http://www.buy.com/p.../212208382.html

How about that handheld? Was this? $44
http://www.buy.com/p.../212208387.html

Here's a system that plays Nes/Sega games
Nes/Sega $40
http://www.solidsign...NX1293)&c=Retro Gaming&sku=892044001293

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#118 SideburnMan

SideburnMan

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:10 PM

Show was great. I love that Shipwreck is on now. It's nice to have a 3 man show. Thankyou guys for your input of Marvel Ultimate Alliance. I've been meaning to play the first one, and now I have to go find a copy and try it out.

edit: And I love the Magna Carta Box art. I just hope we see those kind of melons in game.
I should go.

#119 Big Ev

Big Ev

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:11 PM

Great show guys, just a quick comment on Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.

MUA2 was not developed by Raven, but Vicarious Visions. Vicarious did the Wii port of the first Ultimate Alliance game, and then were tasked do MUA2. I don't know what happened in the hand off between developers, but MUA2 doesn't seem to be as engaging and fun as the original MUA.

Once again, great show, and I'm looking forward to the next CAGcast.

#120 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:50 PM

Great show. The conversation about whether a game can get a bad score for being too difficult got me thinking. Personally, I do not believe that a game that I find difficult should be held against the game. I suppose I see difficult games as a matter of different taste. Some games are more demanding than others, and for the people who are willing to invest their time in it, they enjoy it. Naturally, I expect a game like Demon's Souls is not something I can speed through.

May not be a perfect analogy, but there's a saying when it comes to books: If you didn't understand a book and you think it's your fault, the author must be a good writer, but if you think it's the author's fault, the author must be a bad writer. So I suppose it really depends on the person whether or not a game's difficulty is a bad thing.