CAGcast #174: Shoplifting Grapefruits and Other Tasteless Metaphors

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][img-l=4668]3078[/img-l]Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck unite again to cross the boundaries of good taste, discuss a slew of games, industry and game shopping news, your questions and comments from the CAGbag and Twitter and oh so much more!

[podcast]83[/podcast]
Download - 110 minutes, 46MB

Review us on iTunes!

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$6.95 domain = CAGDOMAIN
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Photos:

Last edited by a moderator:
Been excited all day (and waiting all night ;)) for this podcast
EDIT: Oh fuck it, I'll be listening the rest of the night

I'm glad I checked the site cause I was about to go to bed XD Downloading it right now, can't wait to listen to it.

I'm looking forward to the Ship/Wombat MUA2 review, and for some reason I have an urge to buy William's Pinball HOF...

Also, I agree with Cheapy's and Wombat's views on Super Street Fighter IV. But it would be more convenient if it was available as both a new game; for people who haven't bought it yet, and as DLC/patches; for the hardcore fans.

Nice, another show!

Shipwreck should become a regular, he's a great addition to the podcast.

Batman/Superman is pretty good. Lots of pandering towards the nerd audience. They even showed/talked about villains I've never heard of.

When Wombat mentioned the fun Mickey Mouse games of the past he said Capcom made them. They made some but Sega and Sony made some nice ones.

Shipwreck said he can beat Ninja Gaiden pretty easily, but I recall him saying he didn't get past the Chapter 3 boss in Ninja Gaiden 2. That being said Shipwreck, what's harder: Ninja Gaiden 2 (Not Sigma) or Demon's Souls?

Oh, and Wombat just made my list for that Uncharted revelation.

Good show, nice to see Shipwreck back again.

I will say that I'm enjoying Demon's Souls, it is difficult and does have a learning curve but I've found that I'm really having fun. It is not your brainless hack and slash which is quite refreshing, I've not played a title this seriously for quite some time.

I will say the Pinball hall of fame was an excellent title, I picked it up on the PS3 and decided to beat the Williams Challenge and eventually did the forth attempt. Firepower was the only table that just did not behave.

I enjoyed this weeks show but it just didn't seem like a CAGcast.

Shipwreck appearing on the show is awesome but I'm used to him appearing on the CAGcast to report on his experiences at trade shows. It just doesn't feel right having him on during the regular shows. Maybe I could get used to the change but it's just not a CAGcast to me with a third member, three really is a crowd.

[quote name='KingBroly']Shipwreck said he can beat Ninja Gaiden pretty easily, but I recall him saying he didn't get past the Chapter 3 boss in Ninja Gaiden 2. That being said Shipwreck, what's harder: Ninja Gaiden 2 (Not Sigma) or Demon's Souls?

Oh, and Wombat just made my list for that Uncharted revelation.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, it's a different skill set. I actually progressed pretty far into Ninja Gaiden 2 on the 360 before hitting a hard section and then getting distracted by something else (plus I thought the game was a big let down from the original game). I did get stuck on that Chapter 3 boss for a little while until I figured out the pattern and what weapons/Ninpo to use. I don't have any doubts that I could get through the remainder of that game if I went back to it though.

I think it's the structure of Demon's Souls and having to repeat large portions of the game if you don't block or dodge a single blow that makes it much more difficult than the Ninja Gaiden games.

You must not have played more than 60-90 minutes of Hakuna Matata, Cheapy. At that point you do a "big game shoot" to get a photo of a hunting cheetah. After that mission, the game totally opens up, you get to drive the Jeep yourself wherever you want, and you get new equipment and cameras. You basically went through the tutorial section with the shitty camera. You should give it another try and experience the parts where they've taken the training wheels off a bit.

I was craving a new episode!

I really liked the show this week, guys, keep doing what you're doing.
Shipwreck is a good addition to the show, he should be on at least every second podcast.

Wow this intro music threw me back to being smaller haha Batman I believe?

Also I am all for that Manga Carta 2 cover :]

Shipwreck ought to be on more frequently because he's the one person of the three of you who is actually aware of what games are coming out on what system. Cheapy and Wombat, I'm afraid you're often clueless of new and upcoming releases unless they come in a translucent green dvd box.

Related to a brief quip from last week, Cincinnati chili is superior to both of y'all.

Great show. I enjoyed Ultimate Alliance2 a lot. Just beat it on Legendary.

Wombit please stay away from Web of Shadows. Not very good.

[quote name='mik']You must not have played more than 60-90 minutes of Hakuna Matata, Cheapy. At that point you do a "big game shoot" to get a photo of a hunting cheetah. After that mission, the game totally opens up, you get to drive the Jeep yourself wherever you want, and you get new equipment and cameras. You basically went through the tutorial section with the shitty camera. You should give it another try and experience the parts where they've taken the training wheels off a bit.[/QUOTE]

Wow, how embarrassing. Also, Demon Souls is SUPPOSED to be hard, Cheapy. It's all about co-op and other folks leaving clues on how to beat the game. Remind me again why this guy does a podcast on video games. Maybe it should just be Wombat and Shipwreck doing the podcast, Cheapy is becoming the third wheel. Do a little bit of research on the games you're going to discuss first.

Companies aren't your friends, companies are out to make money. if Capcom followed what you accused them off, shouldn't there be have been a Super Bionic Commando? It's not in any release lists now is it? I think we've been spoiled, we're always expecting everything for nothing. If this trend is so troubling, maybe we should be serial renters rather than owners of games.

if no one buys LP2 or Dark Void, there will be no "super" version of either.

Then fellas I'd like to pose this question. When is it the right now to release a new iteration/sequel?

But hey if you're really that mad, start a petition maybe capcom will give you a free trip.

PS: Also Capcom hasn't even given details to what the incentive will be for current SF4 owners.

I turned off the 1st transformers movie after about 30 minutes. It made me embarrassed to be human.

Guys I know demon souls is hard, but that should not make the game score go down. Its a great game. If you get mad and have to kill someone just killem. Sometimes you gotta kill someone.

Cheapy, Wombat or Shipwreck,

You should, as a joke, send the 17 people who preordered the PSP Go from CAG a UMD game. Tell them to enjoy it!

Great show guys, always funny to listen to. Forget about the real news, we want the coments of the CAG trio! If only Mrs. Shipwreck could particpate also, it would be even better :p.

Speaking of "old" games, just got Red Faction: Guerrilla because of all the praise it got from Cheapy and Wombat, and I'm really enjoying it, almost done with Dust so far. It's your comments that makes me want to buy a game, not some biased review on the Internetz.

Great show!
I really liked the discussion about difficulties, because my roommate and I disagree on whether difficulty should factor into a games review.

Good to have Shipwreck back. He keeps people talking about games, which is essentially why I'm listening to the podcast (especially now that 1UP Yours is officially dead).

That being said, you can't beat Cheapy and Wombat banter. Shipwreck is just great in terms of keeping things topical. Not that I don't love it when two grown men talk about baby shit.

Why don't you folk read iTunes reviews anymore? I wrote one three times before it actually got published. Turns out comparing Wombat to Jesus was something of a no-no. Regardless, it was still an entertaining review, and worthy of a read. Maybe challenge listeners - whoever writes the most awesome five star iTunes review gets read on the show?

Or whatever. I don't really care. I'm just posting because I need some games for my new PSP Go, which I am enjoying despite its self. If it's your first PSP, then most of the negatives are moot. I don't mind the outrageous price point - I just needed something more travel sized. Regardless, HIoPB:WDIDTDT? looks interesting, so please put me in the running.

Great Show!! Need to get Shipwreck on more.

Its getting to be that time to bring back the hype wagon for all the new fall releases.

Just to let you know, I'm buying an iPhone just so I can have the CAG app. (That's not exactly true, but let's just pretend that CAG is always the only reason to buy anything).

I thought I heard a doorbell during the CAGcast when Ship was talking about that Genesis player. Was I hearing things? I was (dead) spacing out at the time... lol.

Geez guys, of COURSE being too difficult isn't necessarily a qualification of a bad game. Some people like games that are hard, even punishing. It's a matter of whether or not the game quality or not and how well it serves the people who will like it. Of course it could just be crap and no one would like it, but obviously Demon's Souls isn't one of those games.

I'm much more concerned with games being too easy these days. I'm not looking for super punishing since I'm not a kid who has the attention span and time to sit all day practicing, but when something like Super Mario Galaxy comes along and gets great reviews it makes me a little sick. Sure the graphics are fantastic and the gameplay is pretty good except for some camera issues and a needlessly low jump, but it's clearly been designed for babies it's so damn easy.

As entertaining as Cheapy and Wombat usually are, it's always Shipwreck with the 6th man award. I agree that ship is more aware of the new releases and plays a lot more games. I wonder what'll happen when Mrs. Ship pops out Baby Ship, lol.

I really do like when Shipwreck is on the show too. The main things I like to listen to are the reviews on new releases because I just don't have the time to research them myself. Cheapy and Wombat do a great job with their input on the new releases, but Shipwreck usually does have more experience playing those games.

Anyway, great show! I wish you had shows more than once a week!

Great show this week. It's always good to hear from Ship.

I agree that many reviewers tend to leave out important information on the circumstances of their reviews.

Full disclosure is always the best policy and I appreciate how sites like Destructoid aren't affraid to tell it how it is (Shipwreck too).

It's too bad publishers are hoping more reviewers don't finish the game so they can boast their inflated Metacritic ranking on their next product or in their advertising materials.

There should be a better way ...

ship's addition to the podcast is good and should be more frequent. Also, if anyone actually buys that palin 360, they should get their asses kicked.

The mental image of cheapy taking a dump with Tai hanging out in the bathroom will be forever burned into my skull.

I am really enjoying the new addition of shipwreck to the show, he makes a nice third man.

I really enjoyed the show but I do agree as some posters have stated that a game can be very hard and you might never beat it, but you could still enjoy it and give it 9/10 or whatever.

I have an idea: Have you ever thought about expanding into the realm of Saturday morning cartoons? There's something about your voices, personas and your nicknames that are extremely evocative of an old Saturday Morning Super-Hero cartoon. CheapyD could be Cap'n Cheapy, Wombat could be Jewish Marsupial-Man, and Shipwreck could be Sidekick Shipwreck you'd try to fight a video game themed villain every week that neither Cheapy nor Wombat could defeat or "finish" and Shipwreck would come and trounce him, but at the end of the day he must continue being the sidekick and living in the limelight.

Just a thought, maybe worth a chuckle.

Anyways love the show and keep it up.

bread's done
Back