Gazelle Trade-in FAQ and Discussion Thread

RedGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Gazelle.com

As the weeks have gone by, I have noticed discussion of Gazelle.com trade-in's within the Amazon Trade-in thread. I have decided to take it upon myself to create a thread solely for the purpose of discussing Gazelle.com and posting information pertaining to it.

This post will be updated to look.. spiffier with a full-fledged FAQ within a day or two, when I find the time.

For now, I'll list some basic information about Gazelle.com.

Credit Increases:

+5% Amazon Gift Card TIV: When trading in at Gazelle.com, if you choose Amazon Gift Card as your payment method, you will receive 5% more for your trade-in's.

Promotional Codes (entered during Checkout) ALL CODES ARE ONE-USE PER ACCOUNT, DO NOT STACK:
gazellebonuscode.jpg

*Credit to no_exit for above picture.

Flipping to Gazelle

Flipping refers to buying items at one place and trading in or selling them elsewhere at a profit (however, sometimes it is done to transfer credit from one place into credit at another or pure cash.)

FAQ

Q) What is Gazelle.com?

A) Gazelle.com is a site where one can trade in items ranging from Electronics to Video Games to Cell phones.

Q) Are there TIV's any good?

A) Some of their TIV's are -very- good, some are average and, like any other trade-in site or establishment, some trade-in values are poor.

However, from my experience and from the experience of other CAG members, I'd say the TIV's are above-average. Especially when one takes into account promotional codes or the +5% Amazon Gift Card TIV. To note, they seem to match Amazon.com's trade-in values on video games. However, they lag behind by around a day or two. So if a value plummets on Amazon, you can still lock it in at Gazelle.

Q) Is Gazelle.com a reliable place to trade-in games?

A) Many members of CAG have used Gazelle for trading in un-needed items and have had good experiences.

TIMING

Q) How long do I have to send in my items?
A) You have 30 days to get your item postmarked according to Gazelle. Don’t always wait because they won’t want to continue to offer 30 days if everyone takes that long & your post office may not want to send your stuff out.

Q) What happens if I send the item after 30 days?
A) You get the TIV as of that day.

Q) How long does it take to ship to Gazelle?
A) From West Coast up to 3-8+ days, usually about 6. From East Coast about the same, though frequently a day or two faster.

Q) How long does it take them to verify the item’s condition?
A) A few days, but can take longer.

Q) How long does it take to receive Paypal/AMZ credit email after item is approved?
A) Usually 1-4 days, but can take up to 10.

Q) I submitted a game but it did not show up on gazelle or email me...
A) It can take up to 24 hours for it to show up, but it's usually less than a minute.

SHIPPING

Q) Who pays to ship to Gazelle?
A) Gazelle pays.

Q) Do they give you a box?
A) If you want one but only for orders that have ~3-6 games (forget exact amount), they will mail you a priority mail box (but they give you parcel post label…). The box will arrive in ~3 days-1.5 weeks.

Q) Why did I get an email saying I’ll get a box when I did not request one?
A) When you delete games from a large order it will then default to giving you a box. Just un-request it.

Q) Can I cancel a shipment after I get a box?
A) Yes, but don’t abuse this or face possible sanction.

Q) Does Gazelle insure your shipment?
A) They claim they do, but no one has run into this problem yet.

Q) Shipping label does not fit on box, what do I do?
A) Set your printer to print 5x8 postcard and this will work fine & fit bubble mailers.

Q) Should I open my games before sending in if they’re new?
A) Does not matter.

Q) Why was it delivered to Cockeysville instead of Hunt Valley, MD?
A) They get them shipped to both of these addresses, which are streets away from each other.

WHAT TO INCLUDE/CONDITION

Q) Do I need to send the instruction manual?
A) No, but again don’t send everything without manuals if you want this policy to stay the same.

Q) Can I print out my own cover art or use generic?
A) Yes, possibly YMMV, again don’t abuse, and try to send cover art that has UPC label that matches the UPC for the game. To check this punch the UPC into Amazon searchbox.

Q) Will they take games without UPC Label on artwork and still give you full value?
A) Yes, YMMV though, as 2 people had this work but both sent in sealed games.

Q) Can I use a generic case?
A) YMMV, again don’t abuse.

Q) How picky are they over game condition?
A) Less picky than Amazon.

MISCELLANEOUS

Q) If I reject the new TIV they give me who pays to ship it back?
A) You do.

Q) How does Amazon credit get sent?
A) You will get a redeemable code much like an Xbox Live or PSN network DLC code. You just redeem that as a gift card on Amazon.

Q) Can I cancel games that I submitted on their site?
A) Yes, you can cancel games individually without the values of the others affected.
*credit to J7.

TC Notes: Please post about your experiences with Gazelle or anything else you think should be added to this post, I'm always up for more information. I apologize for not keeping it as up to date as I should.

~Thanks, RedGamer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took my Gazelle trade ins down, because they scammed me out of some serious referral money. I will never, ever use them again.

Nothing is bad about them, everyone should already have some laying around :) you can go to USPS.com and have them send you pallets full for free :)

It delays your order 2-3 days in waiting too.
I think I read on another thread that someone said it took 15 days from the time they shipped to receive their credit.

I'm trying to use Gazelle for the first time to offload some of my games, but I cannot find anywhere to enter the promo codes during checkout? I went as far as submitting the trade after giving them my info and it says that the shipping label is being generated and will be sent to my email add soon. Did I miss it?

It's not real obvious where to enter the code.

On the page where you select your method of payment, there is a link to enter the code (see image below)...

gazellebonuscode.jpg

I recently got an Xbox so traded in my Wii and two Wii games to Gazelle.

It was great. It took a while for them to process everything (they received my stuff on 9/28 and only inspected the last of the three items this past Wednesday or Thursday and should pay early next week), but they gave me the full price they offered, and with the bonuses for the TWEET code and the Amazon gift certificate payment, it was a very sweet deal, I thought, especially as they saved me the hassle of dealing with Ebay or Craigslist and paid for shipping.

I'd recommend them for sure and am wishing I had more stuff to trade in!

Nice, definitely will be checking back.

Question - they ask about disc condition (I've traded in about 9 different complete games to Gazelle, all marked "Perfect" and they've taken them without any problems), physical box, and game art (front/back covers). What about game manuals? (I wasn't able to find the answer to that, but I gave it a shot with my most recent trade-in, perfect condition without manual)

For the OP wiki/info regarding times: A few of the trade-in times I've had -

Shipped Mirror's Edge 8/11, got payment 8/24 [13 days]
Shipped Eat Lead 8/19, got payment 9/1 [13 days]
Shipped Monsters vs Aliens 9/18, got payment 10/5 [17 days]
Shipped X-Blades 9/27, got payment 10/5 [8 days!]

Hope this helps :)

[quote name='wynams']Nothing is bad about them, everyone should already have some laying around :) you can go to USPS.com and have them send you pallets full for free :)

It delays your order 2-3 days in waiting too.
I think I read on another thread that someone said it took 15 days from the time they shipped to receive their credit.[/QUOTE]

yeah i think your probably talking about my post wynams :). yeah i traded in an order and it took 15 days from when i sent the package out and when i finally received the credit. what i do like about them is the communication though. the instant chat on their site is helpful since you don't have to wait a few hours for a response.

i sent my second order out yesterday (10/9), so i'm assuming to get my credit around the end of the month.

but i'm also glad a gazelle thread was finally put up! maybe we can add any good flips like the Amazon thread used to have.

I've updated the main post with length for payment information. I've currently put as few as eight or as many as seventeen for the time being.

From now, when listing shipping/payment times, please post what payment method you chose.

EDIT: No_Exit, can I use that picture in the FAQ? (I'll credit you.) I'd like to use it, at least until I put up a full picture-by-picture walk-through of trading in at Gazelle. (I'd like this thread to be as thorough as possible. :p)

[quote name='no_exit']It's not real obvious where to enter the code.

On the page where you select your method of payment, there is a link to enter the code (see image below)...

[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I missed that the first time so I resubmitted the same trade a second time to get the additional $5 credit... now am I allowed to cancel my first transaction? sorry for the questions but I'm trying to find out how on the Gazelle site regarding cancelling but it doesn't seem to have any help on that (or am I no allowed to cancel?)

EDIT: Ooops... found out I can actually cancel by logging into my Gazelle account (didn't create one when I did my first trades).

I updated with a "Flipping to Gazelle" section.

It's -really- bare-bones for now. Just a heads up, Ghostbusters (360 and PS3) is $19.99 this week, as far as I know, at GameCrazy/Hollywood Video.

There's a promotion going on at Hollywood Video for $5 off select new games, so one could potentially get Ghostbusters (360 and PS3) for $15 and flip it for $23 to Gazelle.

Here is the link to the topic discussing the prices: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239043&highlight=ghostbusters&page=8

Here is the link to the Hollywood Video topic that discusses the $5 off select new games promotion (ends 8/12):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235408&page=10

The HWV deal is especially nice, Ghostbusters for $15, trade in for $23. (you could go for cash and still come out quite a bit ahead.)

My Suggestion: Buy for $15/$20, beat it in a day or two while Gazelle sends you shipping box. Trade in for $23 base TIV. Win-win.

[quote name='RedGamer']No_Exit, can I use that picture in the FAQ? (I'll credit you.) I'd like to use it, at least until I put up a full picture-by-picture walk-through of trading in at Gazelle. (I'd like this thread to be as thorough as possible. :p)[/QUOTE]
Sure, feel free to use the pic.

Thank you for taking the initiative to start this thread.

Does the code "TWEET09" require some kind of minimum trade in? Like.. can I trade in a single game us it to get the additional bonus?

They are not dead.

Please note, under the GameStop section, each game states "Online-only" or "In-store".

(when in-stock) refers to Online. Technically, Muramasa could come back in stock, online, at any time.

If you can find MUA2 at a GameStop near you, similiar situation.

Trade-in Values are still the same on those two games. (And on that note, if in the case of MUA2 (PS2) showing up in stock ONLINE, then one could actually flip it better. With CAG16,SAVER, and Edge, the online stock of it would come out to a little less than ~$17.00. Just a heads up.)

[quote name='mis0']Does the code "TWEET09" require some kind of minimum trade in? Like.. can I trade in a single game us it to get the additional bonus?[/QUOTE]
Yes, you can use the code on a single game to add an extra $5. I did this exact thing about a month ago.

umm . . .

PS2 MUA2 is trading at $13 right now.
Muramasa is trading at $19 right now.

[quote name='RedGamer']They are not dead.

Please note, under the GameStop section, each game states "Online-only" or "In-store".

(when in-stock) refers to Online. Technically, Muramasa could come back in stock, online, at any time.

If you can find MUA2 at a GameStop near you, similiar situation.

Trade-in Values are still the same on those two games. (And on that note, if in the case of MUA2 (PS2) showing up in stock ONLINE, then one could actually flip it better. With CAG16,SAVER, and Edge, the online stock of it would come out to a little less than ~$17.00. Just a heads up.)[/QUOTE]

of course I understand what flipping is. I'm just updating the thread with the current Gazelle TIVs, which are substantially lower than what was posted last night. have you actually checked the Gazelle TIVs this morning or are you just going under the assumption that I'm an idiot?

regardless - thanks for starting the thread. there are solid flip opportunities at Gazelle (for ca$h too). we just need to find them and move fast.

[quote name='RedGamer']... I don't think you understand.

-Buying- from GameStop. -Selling- to Gazelle = Flipping.[/QUOTE]

From what I understand, Gazelle is very lenient on the definition of Perfect. I see that you used the "Good" condition for your condition basis.

I'll see what I can do about this.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm saying that the TIV for a complete, "perfect condition" Muramasa = $32.

The prices on the bottom graph refer to the "Good" Condition.

Dunno why.. but I'm kind of skeptical about this site. I did submit a Trade In however for :ps2: Monster Lab. just to try them out.

$2 (TIV) + 5% (Amazon Bonus) + $5 (TWEET09) = $7.10.

I dunno if they'll process this or not because my game is valued so low. I picked up the game for $2.30 at Amazon when they had it for hella cheap.

Question: Do I HAVE to use a box to submit the game.. or can I use a bubble mailer? Already bummed that I have to drive to my UPS store when there's a USPS just 1/2 a mile from my house.

Also.. are "TWEET" and "TWEET9" one time use per account, or one time use.. per trade in? If it's the latter, doesn't that sweeten the deal like crazy? The OP says it's "one-use" but it's not too clear about the restrictions. Thanks in advance.

The codes are one use per account, but you don't even have to register to trade in (they only need an email address). If you never confirm your account, I don't see anything stopping you from using the codes N number of times. Where N is the number of email addresses you have access to.

I have 2 confirmed accounts. I trade in on my primary email to my home address. My wife trades in on her primary email to her business address. I have used both codes on my account, and my wife still has TWEET09 available.

Thanks.

I've updated the OP to reflect these comments. (It now states "one-use per account".)

The OP is still a bit ragged, but I'm hoping to spiff it up a bit more today. I've been a bit.. out of it though. Tired as hell.

ahh - I didn't realize you were talking about perfect. my apologies. guess this would be a good flip if you can find a mint condition used game for the wii or PS2 at GS. gulp! good luck everyone.

[quote name='RedGamer']From what I understand, Gazelle is very lenient on the definition of Perfect. I see that you used the "Good" condition for your condition basis.

I'll see what I can do about this.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm saying that the TIV for a complete, "perfect condition" Muramasa = $32.

The prices on the bottom graph refer to the "Good" Condition.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mis0']

Question: Do I HAVE to use a box to submit the game.. or can I use a bubble mailer? Already bummed that I have to drive to my UPS store when there's a USPS just 1/2 a mile from my house.[/QUOTE]

See, and this here is why I request a box (as opposed to someone's suggestion earlier of using your own). The one time I've just printed a label it has been a UPS label - though that was on a smaller submission where it didn't qualify for them sending a box.

It seems we need to sort this out and add it to the OP. When do they differentiate between UPS and USPS shipping? What's the cutoff between having them send you a box ot not (and is that the difference between UPS and USPS)?

I'm -pretty- sure the cut-off is $30, but I'll go try out different prices and find out for you guys.

EDIT:

You get a free box on orders of $30 or higher trade-in. On the issue of Free shipping, I think they pay for free shipping, no matter how little the trade-in is. If anyone finds out differently, please tell me how long the trade-in was so I can better service you guys.

I've tested an order of $29, it didn't get a box. I tested an order of $30, it did. I tested as low as $7 to check what the minimum was for the free shipping label, and as of now, I don't know. I don't think there is a minimum for free shipping, just for the box.

[quote name='mis0']Dunno why.. but I'm kind of skeptical about this site. I did submit a Trade In however for :ps2: Monster Lab. just to try them out.

$2 (TIV) + 5% (Amazon Bonus) + $5 (TWEET09) = $7.10.

I dunno if they'll process this or not because my game is valued so low. I picked up the game for $2.30 at Amazon when they had it for hella cheap.

Question: Do I HAVE to use a box to submit the game.. or can I use a bubble mailer? Already bummed that I have to drive to my UPS store when there's a USPS just 1/2 a mile from my house.[/QUOTE]

They will give you the promo, regardless of TiV. Yes, I only use bubble mailers (I only do 1-2 games at a time), have had no problems since I started trading into Gazelle.

The gift card you get from Gazelle for Amazon is just a code that can be applied to any Amazon account, correct?

[quote name='io']See, and this here is why I request a box (as opposed to someone's suggestion earlier of using your own). The one time I've just printed a label it has been a UPS label - though that was on a smaller submission where it didn't qualify for them sending a box.

It seems we need to sort this out and add it to the OP. When do they differentiate between UPS and USPS shipping? What's the cutoff between having them send you a box ot not (and is that the difference between UPS and USPS)?[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I've noticed I get a lot of UPS labels from them.

I saved a copy of some the shipping labels when I can, just in case... Here are some details (all TiVs before bonus/promo codes) for completed trades:

X-Blades - $13 - UPS, bubble mailer
Monsters vs Aliens (x3) - $51 - UPS, re-used an Amazon box
Eat Lead - $18 - UPS, bubble mailer
Mirror's Edge - $14 - UPS, bubble mailer

[quote name='Moravagine']The gift card you get from Gazelle for Amazon is just a code that can be applied to any Amazon account, correct?[/QUOTE]

Yep! They send you an email with the code once it's all done and you can just copy/paste that into your Amazon account for credit.

edit: Loosely related - I've even had the system "forget" to apply the extra 5% on one of the orders through some small glitch in the checkout process, so the printout of the packing sheet only reflected the base price. (I think I tried putting in the old extra 10% code that expired and used the back button or something dumb on my part) I mailed it in anyway, and when the credit came, they automatically applied the extra 5% to the amount... good stuff :)

Thanks, EvilPotatoGuy.

It looks like Trade-in's that you don't use -their- box, they print you out a UPS label.

I've heard the box they give you is a USPS Priority Mail box, from a few people. I'd like to confirm this if anyone can. Once this is confirmed/detailed on, I'll put it up.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I will be using a bubble mailer. As for the one time codes per account, I'll just use my girlfriend's address. :D

[quote name='evilpotatoguy']Yep! They send you an email with the code once it's all done and you can just copy/paste that into your Amazon account for credit.
f :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I've used Gazelle twice before but always applied the credit to an Amazon account that had the same email address as my Gazelle account. I assumed not but wanted to make sure they weren't linked in some way because this time they will not match.

I've put up a referral link at the bottom of the OP, stating my intent of its use.

If you're uncomfortable with it, I will take it down.

On that note, I read through the FAQ on Gazelle's site and I saw a paragraph about shipping.

"
Do I have to go to the post office to ship my item?

If we have sent you a prepaid box, you must drop it off with the USPS, either at a Postal facility or with a Letter Carrier.
If you have printed a UPS shipping label, you can drop your box off at any UPS location nationwide."

It looks like, if you print a label, it is by UPS. If you get a box, its by USPS.

[quote name='RedGamer']I've put up a referral link at the bottom of the OP, stating my intent of its use.

If you're uncomfortable with it, I will take it down. .[/QUOTE]

Referral links are generally frowned upon outside of sigs and the dedicated area for them. I personally don't mind as much but it seems to be the only link you included. Including the standard link and separately including your referral link and mentioning that would be more OK with me; but that's just me.

[quote name='io']See, and this here is why I request a box (as opposed to someone's suggestion earlier of using your own). The one time I've just printed a label it has been a UPS label - though that was on a smaller submission where it didn't qualify for them sending a box.

It seems we need to sort this out and add it to the OP. When do they differentiate between UPS and USPS shipping? What's the cutoff between having them send you a box ot not (and is that the difference between UPS and USPS)?[/QUOTE]

I was playing around with this more today.

I was under the impression that the customer could chose, but it does appear that if you print your own label that Gazelle assigns UPS to orders less than $60. Orders > $60 you get to choose, and if you request boxes, Gazelle will ship you a pre-printed USPS Priority Mail label, pre-printed invoice and a USPS Priority box (all free of charge).

I prefer USPS myself, and have tons of Priority Mail paraphernalia around. I wish there was an option on the smaller orders to send First Class or Media Mail (like Amazon/TRU has for their trade ins!).

actually i just had a quick question which could probably be answered by those who use USPS more often. both times i did a gazelle order, i had them send me a box, and along with the box they send these Priority Mail stickers too, but what are these for? at the post office they told me i don't need to put them on priority mail boxes, can i put them on regular boxes and have them treated as priority mail?

@y2jasper YES!

I thought it was funny when Gazelle sent those stickers. Totally unnecessary to put on a USPS Priority Box lol

Those stickers are for what you said, putting on customer boxes/mailers when shipping Priority. The labels help the carriers know that the parcel is PRIORITY! The caveat is your postage has to be priority ... i.e. you can't pay for media mail, put the PRIORITY label on and get PRIORITY service ... probably even a federal crime to do so

@RedGamer

I would mention the referral bonuses in the FAQ. We like Gazelle, and we will like them staying around. If all of us CAGs are introducing folks who don't know what a CAG is (i.e. they do not read this thread) that is win-win!

[quote name='RedGamer']I've put up a referral link at the bottom of the OP, stating my intent of its use.

If you're uncomfortable with it, I will take it down.
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately its still a form of solicitation and a big no-no for the Game Deals sub-forum. We do have a Referral Links subforum on this site and im not too sure but you could be the first with a gazelle thread in there...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69

Gazelle is giving $36 for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 on 360. I locked it in but i am going to hold on to it for at least a week. Goozex has been really good to me and its worth 1000pts there. Amazon could also start a new trade in promo on the 17th so thats another option. Decisions.....

No problem, I'm removing the referral link from the OP.

I've noticed the high trade-in values of MUA2: PS3 and 360, and I'll be keeping on eye on prices.

[quote name='RedGamer']I'm -pretty- sure the cut-off is $30, but I'll go try out different prices and find out for you guys.

EDIT:

You get a free box on orders of $30 or higher trade-in. On the issue of Free shipping, I think they pay for free shipping, no matter how little the trade-in is. If anyone finds out differently, please tell me how long the trade-in was so I can better service you guys.

I've tested an order of $29, it didn't get a box. I tested an order of $30, it did. I tested as low as $7 to check what the minimum was for the free shipping label, and as of now, I don't know. I don't think there is a minimum for free shipping, just for the box.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't offered a box, and I sent in almost $200 worth of stuff (the Wii + games mentioned in my earlier post). I feel robbed!

.. Really? That's odd. I haven't seen anything to the contrary.. at all.

Maybe it's because to the extent of the size of your trade-in, they didn't have big enough boxes?

bread's done
Back