Gazelle Trade-in FAQ and Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1303 replies to this topic

#121 chuckywang

chuckywang

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:29 AM

I think I just blew a trade in for you guys. I emailed Gazelle about how I can trade in GTA: Lost and Damned since it's downloadable only and they said they will investigate. Then they emailed me again saying the game has been removed from their catalog and will not be accepted.

Whoops.

#122 Nirron

Nirron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:33 AM

Do they send you a shipping box automatically, or do you have to request it yourself? I submitted a trade and it's pretty unclear.

When I submitted an order, from the screen they had (something like let me do it myself or they'd send me a box) it sounded as if they'd mail you a box to use if the trade is over $30. Not really relevant, but I declined that offer seeing as how I didn't really want to take the time to have them mail me something as simple as a box and I suppose if I really wanted I could simply request a bunch of free ones from the post office.
Posted Image

#123 cheeky

cheeky

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

I think I just blew a trade in for you guys. I emailed Gazelle about how I can trade in GTA: Lost and Damned since it's downloadable only and they said they will investigate. Then they emailed me again saying the game has been removed from their catalog and will not be accepted.

Whoops.

I don't think I would've traded that game in anyway, but c'mon man. That's more than a whoops. That's something only a complete moron would do.

#124 chuckywang

chuckywang

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:25 PM

I don't think I would've traded that game in anyway, but c'mon man. That's more than a whoops. That's something only a complete moron would do.

So what would you have done? Just try to trade it in (card only) and have it investigated, rejected, removed from catalog, and then mailed back to you? It's not like trading it in is any more or less subtle than an email. You would have alerted Gazelle of the item either way.

At least I didn't have to waste time sending in something I know they will reject. BTW the trade in value was $16.

#125 cheeky

cheeky

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:27 PM

So what would you have done? Just try to trade it in (card only) and have it investigated, rejected, removed from catalog, and then mailed back to you? It's not like trading it in is any more or less subtle than an email. You would have alerted Gazelle of the item either way.

At least I didn't have to waste time sending in something I know they will reject. BTW the trade in value was $16.

Briefly, yes. I'd have traded it in at the risk of the game being returned to me. You've already reaped maximum utility from the card. Your risk is minimal.

Trading it in is far more subtle than an e-mail. It takes a bit more brainpower to answer a policy related e-mail than it does to judge the condition (or trade-ability) of a game.

Thanks for the question. I'd advise you pose any further questions of this nature to this thread, as opposed to company representatives. Wouldn't want to ruin everyone's experience every time a tricky situation dawns on you, would we?

#126 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:56 AM

Any new promotional codes for gazelle?

#127 MarcSparks

MarcSparks

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:33 AM

This one's been out there awhile so I dont know how much longer it will hold up, but here's a nice flip for you GS to Amazoners:

Bomberman: Act Zero (360) is $2.99 Used/$4.99 New at Gamestop. Trades for $7 base to Gazelle.

I was able to get 2 surprisingly mint used copies from gamestop.com awhile back, OOS online now. Turned ~$5 GS credit into $19.70 with TWEET09 promo and Amazon bonus.

I have one other monster flip in progress that has been accepted, but I'm not mentioning it until I get the Amazon code in hand. :bouncy:

#128 Tryxx

Tryxx

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:58 AM

Update on a trade submitted to Gazelle about a month ago:

They rejected an old MP3 player I submitted. In their online review of the item, they claimed it didn't power on.

They offered to recycle it, but I asked them to return it, as it worked fine when I sent it in and still has use as a backup hard drive, albeit a small one.

A week later, the package arrived. They had not returned the ac adapter or the software disc. But even on battery power, the player powered on just fine.

I contacted customer service. They then claimed that they couldn't reformat it, and that's why they rejected it. I never tried to reformat it, so I have no idea if that would be a problem, but I do know it worked just fine when I shipped it off, and it seemed to work fine when I got it back.

But whatever. It was worth less than $30 as a trade-in, and as long as I got it back in the same condition I sent it, I didn't care.

Except, of course, I didn't get everything back. They apologized and said they'd return the ac adapter and software, but it took me two more messages before somebody actually moved on this promise.

At which point they said they "couldn't find" the software disc. They offered me no compensation for it and said only "You can find the files on the Internet." I don't need the files, but I think it's lame that they requested the software when I submitted the item only to lose it and offer me nothing but "find it online if you need it."

They did return an ac adapter a week later, along with some funky attachment that wasn't mine and indicates the ac adapter probably wasn't mine, either. But at least they did finally send that.

Overall, I found this a pretty disappointing experience, to say the least, and I would think twice before sending anything to them again even though I made a few hundred bucks in earlier trades without a hitch.

Mostly I'm glad I've already traded all my stuff in so won't have to deal with them in the future.

#129 beerme

beerme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:30 AM

How long does it usually take them to send you the Amazon credit? They "accepted" my stuff on Nov. 4th and said to expect payment in 3-5 days, but no word yet.

#130 MarcSparks

MarcSparks

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:48 AM

Sorry to tease everyone with that "monster flip" comment, as I have received quite a few PMs on the subject. Alas, it does not matter as Gazelle has corrected the TIV I took advantage of, after accepting my trade(s) last night. And it was not a gamestop flip anyway.

I believe I mentioned this outrageous TIV on about page 2 or 3 of this thread, so you can figure it out from there.

#131 PontiusPilate

PontiusPilate

Climbing People's Soapbox

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:33 PM

Sorry to tease everyone with that "monster flip" comment, as I have received quite a few PMs on the subject. Alas, it does not matter as Gazelle has corrected the TIV I took advantage of, after accepting my trade(s) last night. And it was not a gamestop flip anyway.

I believe I mentioned this outrageous TIV on about page 2 or 3 of this thread, so you can figure it out from there.

Gazelle-tease :roll:

That wasn't much of an option for me as I couldn't find any via any outlet to even attempt it. I've been trying to go for the bigger profit margins as I've been able to make some money doing that. I still wish we could find something like the Amazon TIV tracker for Gazelle, because I know from what I've found there are tons of TIV's waiting to be exploited. They don't do a very good job of maintaining their TIV's and they don't seem to be interested on improving upon that either.

#132 RedGamer

RedGamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:19 PM

Yeah.

I sent in a basically perfect copy of Arkham Asylum (360). They downgraded it from Perfect to Good.

So.. I went from $34 + $5 promo to $20 + $5 promo. I'm not too happy about them dropping me $14 down. -_-;.

#133 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:40 PM

Yeah.

I sent in a basically perfect copy of Arkham Asylum (360). They downgraded it from Perfect to Good.

So.. I went from $34 + $5 promo to $20 + $5 promo. I'm not too happy about them dropping me $14 down. -_-;.

Wow. I've never had that happen to me. They sometimes will downgrade to good for internal purposes but pay me the full "perfect" amount.

They are supposed to email you first and if you don't agree, they will send it back to you.

In my experience, gazelle is 10x better than NorAm and the way they handle your games.

#134 y2jasper

y2jasper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:48 PM

Yeah.

just to make sure, did they actually say their dropping your value? since like confoosious said they usually change the condition but keep the TIV the same.

#135 RedGamer

RedGamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:45 PM

Yeah, they dropped the value. And I got paid the dropped value. (As mad as I was, I don't feel like getting back the game and shipping it off somewhere else. I wanted to have all my trade-in's squared off before Black Friday, so I have some spending funds.)

#136 Zarkon

Zarkon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:48 PM

Is the 5% on only one order, or is it a 5% lifetime bonus?

#137 estofan

estofan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:51 AM

Is the 5% on only one order, or is it a 5% lifetime bonus?

If you're talking about the 5% boost if you choose Amazon GC, it's valid on multiple orders (until Gazelle decide to take it down, I guess). So right now, it's a lifetime bonus.

If it's the 5% boost from using the promo code (TWEET), it's one time use only.

#138 Zarkon

Zarkon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:17 PM

Okay, thanks.

#139 MarcSparks

MarcSparks

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:13 PM

Gazelle-tease :roll:

That wasn't much of an option for me as I couldn't find any via any outlet to even attempt it. I've been trying to go for the bigger profit margins as I've been able to make some money doing that. I still wish we could find something like the Amazon TIV tracker for Gazelle, because I know from what I've found there are tons of TIV's waiting to be exploited. They don't do a very good job of maintaining their TIV's and they don't seem to be interested on improving upon that either.

Well I am happy to report I received my credit today, so here's what I did. I guess it's not that big for some of you crazy flippers, but for me, it was huge.

Got 2x MUA Special Edition Platinum Hits from buy.com for $58 total. And turned it into a $154 Amazon giftcard with the Amazon and TWEET 5% bonuses.

Last time I checked copies of this were still available at buy.com, but Gazelle quickly dropped the TIV from $70 to $16.

#140 PontiusPilate

PontiusPilate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:33 PM

Well I am happy to report I received my credit today, so here's what I did. I guess it's not that big for some of you crazy flippers, but for me, it was huge.

Got 2x MUA Special Edition Platinum Hits from buy.com for $58 total. And turned it into a $154 Amazon giftcard with the Amazon and TWEET 5% bonuses.

Last time I checked copies of this were still available at buy.com, but Gazelle quickly dropped the TIV from $70 to $16.

Nice flip.

It'd be nice to somehow coordinate our big flips, because I get a feeling we could potentially step on each others toes. For example, I spent $140 on some flips today that I am going to get $250 from Gazelle. In all likelihood these are some flips that others have seen out there too, and when Gazelle catches wind of my order they have been dropping the TIV's like a rock. That means that anyone who didn't lock-in before I submitted my order will come up empty handed, similar to this situation with MUA.

I know we all want to protect our piece of the pie, but if we had a coordinated effort we could all get in on the deals too. I'm not one to coordinate people, but it's something to consider for those of us who are doing frequent flips to Gazelle.

#141 estofan

estofan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:24 PM

Does anyone know then if Gazelle limits the number of copies per game for trade? I know Amazon (or rather NorAm) restricts one to just 3 trades of the same game (presumably to discourage flips or dealers getting in on the deals).

#142 PontiusPilate

PontiusPilate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:17 AM

No limits that I have encountered, and I've traded in 12 copies of the same title once and ~10 copies a number of times all at once.

#143 Ocajavati

Ocajavati

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:21 AM

Fair warning.

They work really, really slow in general. Longer if you ask for Amazon gift card.

#144 chuckywang

chuckywang

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:02 AM

How do you guys even find out about these huge flips? A video game that trades in for $70?

#145 PontiusPilate

PontiusPilate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:02 PM

It's hit and miss. They used to have a lot of gems out there that were completely out of whack. Games you could find in the clearance bin for $5-10 and they'd give you $20. You can still find 2:1 and profitable flips but not as many since they caught on when people like me submitted them in bulk.

#146 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:05 PM

It's hit and miss. They used to have a lot of gems out there that were completely out of whack. Games you could find in the clearance bin for $5-10 and they'd give you $20. You can still find 2:1 and profitable flips but not as many since they caught on when people like me submitted them in bulk.

sending in 12 of the same title is just retarded.

#147 pokadotpowerpuff

pokadotpowerpuff

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:50 PM

Did anybody ever have a problem with Gazelle not receiving packages? I live in Hawaii so i don't get free shipping and I had to ship my own stuff in but I checked my delivery confirmation and it said that there was noone at Gazelle to accept the product and now it's being held at the post office. Anybody else ever had this problem before?

#148 PontiusPilate

PontiusPilate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:06 AM

sending in 12 of the same title is just retarded.

Compared to Ebay, yes, but I think I have a psychological condition that prevents me from selling on Ebay right now. I'm happy to run to a couple of stores and make $100 for 1 hour of "work" grabbing a few games. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't do it.

Did anybody ever have a problem with Gazelle not receiving packages? I live in Hawaii so i don't get free shipping and I had to ship my own stuff in but I checked my delivery confirmation and it said that there was noone at Gazelle to accept the product and now it's being held at the post office. Anybody else ever had this problem before?

Not my experience, sorry to hear it.

#149 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:21 AM

Not because of ebay. But because that's just killing the TIV for everyone.

#150 PontiusPilate

PontiusPilate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:43 AM

Not because of ebay. But because that's just killing the TIV for everyone.

I do have my selfish side when it comes to flipping. However, I was also the person that suggested a remedy to that very issue, so I'm not heartless about it. It's a form of hoarding, and while some people act holier than thou about such activity, I'm not going to apologize for something that people have equal access to. I'm not going to get in a moral battle over this though, so I probably should just leave it at that. You can have the last word, I'm sure you'll take it.