Successful BB price match stories for TRU deal

The Triarii

CAG Veteran
Thought it would be nice if we kept all the successful (and not) Best Buy price match stories in one place. As you all know BB will sometimes PM and sometimes not.

My experience: I went in today with a copy of the TRU ad and my phone pulled up to the TRU website with the 1600 xbl pt cards highlighted as being a part of the deal. I was very polite and the price matched the 1600 pt cards no problem. These were not the plastic wrapped ones (which are the only ones accepted in the deal at TRU).

What else do ya'll have?

Edit: The Best Buy I went to was in Glendora, CA.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jon Bon']I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is?[/QUOTE]

Looks like a YMMV thread in case Best Buy has some stuff that TRU might not have or you live closer to a Best Buy than TRU or whatever and Best Buy MIGHT price match...

Just wanted to get an idea of the success rate people are having with Best Buy price matches. If the success stories are few and far between then we know it's probably not worth dealing with. Otherwise...

In for 3

You say that it's YMMV. By definition YMMV means that it is up to the particular store and situation. This means essentially that this thread is useless as no ones stories are going to give you a definite answer.

[quote name='Jon Bon']I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is?[/QUOTE]
It's a Best Buy discusion/bragging thread. So it should go here instead.

This thread is a deal.

The title should just be "Best Buy Price Matches B2G1 Free YMMV."

Nothing wrong with the thread.

[quote name='dcm1602']This thread is a deal.

The title should just be "Best Buy Price Matches B2G1 Free YMMV."

Nothing wrong with the thread.[/QUOTE]

Oh, can I make a thread

Target price matches TRU YMMV

then

Sears price matches TRU YMMV

then

Walmart price matches TRU YMMV

Don't think I need to go any further with my point.

[quote name='dmdragon']Oh, can I make a thread

Target price matches TRU YMMV

then

Sears price matches TRU YMMV

then

Walmart price matches TRU YMMV

Don't think I need to go any further with my point.[/QUOTE]

Except the OP actually went to a best buy and they price matched it for him.

And yes if Target or Walmart price matched B2G1 Free I think MOST people on here would like to know it .

Especially since TRUs game selection is rather weak, and it lacks hot new games like Demon's Souls which I KNOW many people on here are looking for a deal on.

[quote name='dcm1602']Except the OP actually went to a best buy and they price matched it for him.

And yes if Target or Walmart price matched B2G1 Free I think MOST people on here would like to know it .

Especially since TRUs game selection is rather weak, and it lacks hot new games like Demon's Souls which I KNOW many people on here are looking for a deal on.[/QUOTE]

And this still belongs in either the bragging thread or the TRU thread. This does not need it's own thread

[quote name='dmdragon']And this still belongs in either the bragging thread or the TRU thread. This does not need it's own thread[/QUOTE]

Why would a deal at best buy belong buried in a 200 page thread about toys r us ?

[quote name='dmdragon']And this still belongs in either the bragging thread or the TRU thread. This does not need it's own thread[/QUOTE]
You seen to be the only one thats really bothered by this. You know you could always just ignore this thread.

I'd like to thank you The Triarri. I do like to hear about successful price matching because it gives me hope that my local BB will price match.

(just ignore the jerks that bash every thread they can. They have nothing better to do in their pathetic lives than try to put people down)

[quote name='Brother Daz']You seen to be the only one thats really bothered by this. You know you could always just ignore this thread.[/QUOTE]

I'm bothered by it too. It's definitely deal discussion.

I never said it belonged here, did I? I was just pointing out you're the only person who has posted 4 times, crying about this post shouldnt be here, blah,blah,blah.

[quote name='Brother Daz']I never said it belonged here, did I?[/QUOTE]
Welcome to CAG newbs, I hope you feel welcome here.

I came here for a list of stores to see if anyone tried my local BB for a PM. Sure would be nice to know. Instead, all I see is thread officionados. How about we stay on topic, and if mods decide it doesn't belong we can merge later? Getting uptight about a thread is dumb.

[quote name='MuzykMann']I came here for a list of stores to see if anyone tried my local BB for a PM. Sure would be nice to know. Instead, all I see is thread officionados. How about we stay on topic, and if mods decide it doesn't belong we can merge later? Getting uptight about a thread is dumb.[/QUOTE]

i got a list for ya.

Y
M
M
V

[quote name='Brother Daz']I never said it belonged here, did I? I was just pointing out you're the only person who has posted 4 times, crying about this post shouldnt be here, blah,blah,blah.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, but saying it doesn't belong here follows the rules of the forum.

You complaining about my complaint is hypocritical. My posts serve to help people understand the forum rules better and to hopefully clean up the clutter by putting posts in the correct place. Your posts do nothing but complain.

I was advising the OP as to where this belongs so that in the future it won't have to be moved by a moderator, or outright deleted like this one just might be.

[quote name='MuzykMann']I came here for a list of stores to see if anyone tried my local BB for a PM. Sure would be nice to know. Instead, all I see is thread officionados. How about we stay on topic, and if mods decide it doesn't belong we can merge later? Getting uptight about a thread is dumb.[/QUOTE]

The point is that it doesn't at all matter if someone tried your store. If you go there and get a different manager, or a different csr, you will likely get a different answer. All this is going to do is make you tell them that it happened to someone else you know. At which point, the manager will put on his "care" face and tell you he's sorry.

[quote name='The Triarii']Thought it would be nice if we kept all the successful (and not) Best Buy price match stories in one place. As you all know BB will sometimes PM and sometimes not.

My experience: I went in today with a copy of the TRU ad and my phone pulled up to the TRU website with the 1600 xbl pt cards highlighted as being a part of the deal. I was very polite and the price matched the 1600 pt cards no problem. These were not the plastic wrapped ones (which are the only ones accepted in the deal at TRU).

What else do ya'll have?[/QUOTE]

It will be very helpful if you can point out which store and the location.

Anyone have luck trying in South Cal?

[quote name='dmdragon']Ahh, but saying it doesn't belong here follows the rules of the forum.

You complaining about my complaint is hypocritical. My posts serve to help people understand the forum rules better and to hopefully clean up the clutter by putting posts in the correct place. Your posts do nothing but complain.

I was advising the OP as to where this belongs so that in the future it won't have to be moved by a moderator, or outright deleted like this one just might be.

The point is that it doesn't at all matter if someone tried your store. If you go there and get a different manager, or a different csr, you will likely get a different answer. All this is going to do is make you tell them that it happened to someone else you know. At which point, the manager will put on his "care" face and tell you he's sorry.[/QUOTE]
ever heard of discrimination? Its all the rage these days and it gets people deals at retail stores.

Hey guys, I should have specified earlier that the Best Buy I had success at was in Glendora, CA.

Sorry if I put this in the wrong place. I'm new and just wanted to help people out if I could. Good luck everyone!

[quote name='The Triarii']Hey guys, I should have specified earlier that the Best Buy I had success at was in Glendora, CA.

Sorry if I put this in the wrong place. I'm new and just wanted to help people out if I could. Good luck everyone![/QUOTE]

Sorry if I came off wrong man. I didn't mean it that way, I was just suggesting where to put this in the future. We all start somewhere :)

I came in here expecting some stories about BB price matching TRU to get my hopes up. Instead, I got a bunch of whiners acting like they're the forum police. Thanks guys for ruining a potentially helpful thread.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I came in here expecting some stories about BB price matching TRU to get my hopes up. Instead, I got a bunch of whiners acting like they're the forum police. Thanks guys for ruining a potentially helpful thread.[/QUOTE]

boo hoo

This isn't a specific deal, it's discussion of the TRU B2G1 deal.

Therefore, it belongs in deal discussions.

To all the nice people that did nothing more than try to pad their post count and not report the thread to the moderators, shame on you all.

This thread needed to be moved to the Deal Discussions forum, and either PMing a mod or reporting the first post of the thread would have been a much more useful bit that the posts that were all deleted in here.

How can BB pricematching of the ToysRUS deal not also be a specific deal? A YMMV deal, sure, but all the more reason for a separate thread. No way anyone will find which stores it is working at in a 70 page thread.

[quote name='donkeydrop']How can BB pricematching of the ToysRUS deal not also be a specific deal? A YMMV deal, sure, but all the more reason for a separate thread. No way anyone will find which stores it is working at in a 70 page thread.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, but I guess it's more efficient to look in two forums rather than one?

This thread is no different from any other YMMV thread.

Spokane Valley, WA PMed B2G1 accesories for me. I brought in an actual copy of the ad, and the girl said it was no problem. She even did a return/rebuy for 2 accessories I bought last week.

I haven't PMed the TRU deal yet, but the way I plan on doing it is to first stop by TRU, try and grab an ad of their's, and then head over to BB with an extra precaution of having them look up the deal on their website if needed.

[quote name='donkeydrop']How can BB pricematching of the ToysRUS deal not also be a specific deal? A YMMV deal, sure, but all the more reason for a separate thread. No way anyone will find which stores it is working at in a 70 page thread.[/QUOTE]

Not only is it a matter of which stores will do it, but which employee at which store will. CSR Bob might do the price match while CSR Amy might deny it. A manager who may have been doing it might decide their store has lost enough money and stop. There are simply too many variables to keep track of.

[quote name='donkeydrop']How can BB pricematching of the ToysRUS deal not also be a specific deal? A YMMV deal, sure, but all the more reason for a separate thread. No way anyone will find which stores it is working at in a 70 page thread.[/QUOTE]The TRU B2G1 sale is a specific sale that is going on at all TRU's right now.

BB has specific provisions against matching a "free with purchase" deal, as discussed in this post made in the TRU thread:

[quote name='shrike4242']Here's a link to the BB PM policy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=cat10011&contentId=1118843518460&id=cat12098

However, BB can deny you a PM on the TRU deal, because they spell it out that they won't match a "free item" sale promotion:

[quote name='From BB PM policy']
spacer.gif
Best Buy Retail Store Price Match Guarantee

spacer.gif

If you find a lower advertised price on the same available brand and model prior to your purchase or during the exchange and return period, we will match that price. Simply bring in the ad of the local retail competitor or Best Buy, while the lower price is in effect and receive your price match.
The guarantee does not apply to our competitors' website pricing and the guarantee does not apply to our or our competitors':

• Offers that include financing, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors and mail-in offers
  • Items that are limited-quantity, out of stock, open-box, clearance, Outlet Center, refurbished/used items and items for sale Thanksgiving day through the Saturday after Thanksgiving
[/quote]The bolded section says that they won't match free item promotions, so any time you get a store to match a B2G1 sale or a "buy X and get Y free" sale, they're doing so at their discretion.

Don't expect them to do it, since the policy says they don't have to. If you get them to do it, consider yourself lucky.

The above post is for this section, as listed above:

[quote name='From BB PM policy']How do you handle a price match if the Best Buy price includes a promotional offer such as a free gift card or rebate?

The Best Buy net purchase price is calculated by deducting the value of all instant and mail-in discounts such as rebates, free offers and promotional gift cards. Existing rebates and free offers associated with a product purchased at Best Buy will not apply if a price match is executed.[/quote]

This is for rebates, instant discounts, bundle savings or free gift cards with purchase. The B2G1 sale doesn't fall into this category, since it's not a rebate or gift card. It's a weak association for this to work if it's used to try and get the B2G1 matched, since they clearly state they won't match "free item" promotions. This is where it falls into the gray area of store manager discretion.[/quote]

BB price matching the TRU B2G1 sale is completely YMMV, and isn't a specific deal, since not all BB's will do it. So, it doesn't belong in the VGD forum. It's part of the TRU deal, so it either belongs in the TRU thread, or in a separate thread here.

[quote name='shrike4242']

BB price matching the TRU B2G1 sale is completely YMMV, and isn't a specific deal, since not all BB's will do it. So, it doesn't belong in the VGD forum. [/QUOTE]

Since the rule you are applying is no YMMV in the deals forum it still seems arbitrary. Heck, there are huge posts like the Target clearance thread that apply only to some stores. 1600 views says the thread was of interest but its buried in a less frequented forum now.

How about a BB right across the street from a toys r us? I will try at the Hawthorne,CA BB and report results after work tomorrow....

bread's done
Back