Questions about game of the year and greatest hits editions GOTY

slowdive21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Ok I have some questions. I do not buy many new games, so I would like to know a few things about game of the year editions/greatest hits on PS3.

Which ones have new content other than Fallout 3?

If you buy the original can you download the additional content for free when the GOTY is released?

Is there a list somewhere that compares the different versions of games?

thanks in advance

No, you can't download the extra content for free when the GOTY is released if you have the original. You have to pay for it. The extra content included in the Fallout 3 GOTY is the extra downloadable stuff from XBL or PSN and costs money.

Most GOTY editions are just meant to entice the gamers that have yet to jump in on it to finally bite, the Little Big Planet GOTY edition ended up giving you a free extra $30 worth of DLC for free so it was a good deal and Fallout 3 gives you all the DLC that is available to date.

As far as I know, the only games on PS3 that have the extra content is the GOTY Fallout 3 and GOTY LBP.

I'm not sure about there being a list either, sorry.

EDIT: Okay, there's also Oblivion and COD 4 GOTY editions on PS3.

They both add extra content, too and are easier on the wallet.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^Thanks for responding!

Do you know if there is any difference between Uncharted and its greatest hits version?

Also is there 2 versions of Bioshock on PS3?

Not that I'm aware of, most of the PS3 Greatest Hits editions are the same game with the red case as far as I know. And there is, kind of two versions of Bioshock. You can either buy Bioshock alone, or buy it in a two pack with Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

[quote name='QiG']Just for the record, COD4 GotY doesn't have added content.[/QUOTE]

Correct. When it first came out it had a voucher for a free download of one of the map packs, but that was a limited time only thing.

[quote name='Puffa469']Correct. When it first came out it had a voucher for a free download of one of the map packs, but that was a limited time only thing.[/QUOTE]
Seriously? That's crap! The people at GS totally lied to me then when I almost bought it the other day!

Man, I'm glad I didn't buy now.

General rule of thumb is GOTY editions of games have some sort of content that wasnt included in the initial launch of the game (like Fallout and the extra content or Gears and the map packs), greatest hits editions of the games are normally re-packaged and much cheaper but are the same as the original launch of the game , like Uncharted greatest hits doesnt come with anything different than it did day one.

The only semi-exception is when it comes to Special/Limited editions of games. They usually have something extra and usually it is in the form of content outside of the game like Making Of's and art books/soundtracks and such. It's rare when you get in game content that others wont have access to at some point. Another new approach is giving the people who buy these editions something in game that usually takes a while to get. It's a crapshoot, sometimes you get some really cool extras (like the Fallout 3 special edition or Batman Arkham Assylum's batarang) or you get some lame stuff (like the street fighter 4 lame anime and download coupon for extra costumes.)

Greatest Hits = Usually nothing extra
Game of the Year Edition = Usually some content that was released after initial release
Special Edition = Usually for fans of the series with extra content that normally doesn't effect gameplay too much
Usually wikipedia will have some blurb on there if there are different versions of the game and they usually say if a particular title has reached "Greatest Hits" status.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Seriously? That's crap! The people at GS totally lied to me then when I almost bought it the other day!

Man, I'm glad I didn't buy now.[/QUOTE]

CoD4 is a great game, and I recommend that you play it. But if you want to play it online, your pretty much going to have to buy the two map packs, unless you don't mind getting kicked from the server each time the map changes to one you dont have.

You can get the game for $20, and the two map packs for $15 0r $20 (I think the first one may be half priced now). So for $40 you have imo the best multiplayer FPS to ever hit consoles.

Also, don't EVAR listen to Gamestop employees. Their job is to get you to spend money and give them interest free loans (preorder $5), not to dispense reliable information.

bread's done
Back