World of Goo (PC), direct from the developers - name your price! Ends 10/25

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#151 ssssss

ssssss

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:45 PM

Thanks OP! I donated a dollar- more later if I like it.
I think it's a great marketing move for 2DBoy to make this sale. It's been a year since World of Goo came out; the market that was going to buy it has already bought it. Who's been waiting for the price to drop on this $20 PC release? The users who played it were 90% pirates, anyway. What does 2DBoy have to lose? They make some cash, and they get a good reputation, or just add to the good one they already have.
Kudos 2DBoy.

#152 mramazing

mramazing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:45 PM

donated 5. thx

#153 tominater12

tominater12

Another Cheapass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:56 AM

Even with this deal I still feel glad I bought it for $10 at target a while back.

#154 jeepinillini

jeepinillini

Torque Obsessed Maniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:08 AM

Paid $7.50 for it. Enjoying immensely.
Posted Image

I'm not sure how many of you were still interested after the whole MILF thing, but knowing CAG, I'm sure it's a lot of you.

#155 chad2261

chad2261

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:22 AM

Donated what I thought was appropriate, got the email link within the minute and have been playing off and on since last night--just started level 4. very neat little game and the "pay what you like" option is really great. even if they don't make a killing on it, I'm sure word of mouth will spread like wildfire and folks will remember this next time the devs release a game. I know I will.

#156 scottman

scottman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:53 AM

At this point, I think most people who would buy this have already bought it, so I see any money people pay for this as pure profit for the developer, even the smaller amounts (assuming there is not some fixed processing cost per download). If you would have never bought this game otherwise, what difference does it make if you "donate" $.05, $0.50 or $5?

#157 icedrake523

icedrake523

Good News Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

I bought it for Wii. I'll get it for PC for $1 or $2.

#158 friedram

friedram

PC Game Box Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:29 PM

Thank you!
Core i7, Rampage II Extreme, HAF case, 300 Gig 10,000 RPM drive, 2x 1.5 Terabyte secondary, 6 Gigs Tri-channel ram, ATI 5970 2GB Dual video card - graphics, 8800GTS for PhsX, Logitech G13 & G15 Logitech Z-680's

24 in Dell 2407FPW Ultrasharp™ Flat Panel Monitor Wide

WD-62827 : 62"
1080p DLP™ HDTV

http://www.mitsubish...ls.html?cid=133

#159 whats_the_word

whats_the_word

That Broad!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:53 PM

Bought a copy for me & my friend..less than $.10 total :P

#160 Jmclark

Jmclark

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:06 PM

Paid $7.50 the other day. I won the Wii one in a contest, so I feel like I should at least give something back. Still waiting for it, since I paid with eCheck.

#161 RichardDRMC

RichardDRMC

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:42 PM

Picked up a copy last night for $0.50. Played for an hour or so. It is lots of fun.

#162 guessed

guessed

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:48 PM

Still up. I had forgotten about it until just now. Paid $1.
Will 'watch Family Guy with you and explain the pop culture references you don't understand' for food.

#163 FeathersMcGraw

FeathersMcGraw

Waterfowl Mastermind

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

Donated $5 to support indy game development and am enjoying many levels of entertaining goo-dness.

#164 Cheadyp

Cheadyp

asdjfaskjdlfhajklsdfhjkla

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:05 PM

Deal is extended until October 25. Here is a blog post going into detail on the results of the sale http://2dboy.com/200...y-sale-results/

Here's a quote from the blog post that people should consider when donating:
"For all purchases of around 30 cents and under, we actually saw no money, PayPal took it all...."
Posted Image

#165 Blackshear

Blackshear

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:12 PM

I paid $5.00 for this on D2D a few days before the special.. i just cant get into it. Glad i didnt pay 19.99
Currently playing:
Dead Rising 3, Battlefield 4, GTA V, GoW: Ascension, Starbound Beta

#166 Gothic Walrus

Gothic Walrus

Goo Goo G'Joob.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:39 PM

I went to your link and saw:

I am too stressed out. Try again in a minute or two. -the Server

:lol:

Deal is extended until October 25. Here is a blog post going into detail on the results of the sale http://2dboy.com/200...y-sale-results/

Here's a quote from the blog post that people should consider when donating:
"For all purchases of around 30 cents and under, we actually saw no money, PayPal took it all...."

Good job, guys. :roll:

Anyone who donated that little should man up and buy another copy, so the developers actually see the money.

Any chance of editing the thread title so that the new end date is reflected?

ah, a voice of logic in the form of a walrus

#167 CoffeeEdge

CoffeeEdge

Resident Communaut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

Done. Also making a note about the 30¢ threshold.
Hi...

DID SOMEBODY SAY "TOOT"?!?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image I WILL MOTHERF--KING BAN THE F--KING SHIT OUT OF YOU Posted Image

Posted Image

#168 Justin42

Justin42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:33 PM

Anyone who donated that little should man up and buy another copy, so the developers actually see the money.

No kidding, I'm surprised 30 cents is even the threshold, but seriously -- throw them at least a couple of bucks, the game is awesome, they put NO DRM on it, they're doing everything we want good PC developers to do... let's reward them for it and prove we're willing to put our money where our whining comes from. ;)

#169 icedrake523

icedrake523

Good News Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:57 PM

It sucks that they don't make any money from any donations less than 30 cents, but they're the ones who allowed people to donate that little. So I don't really feel any sympathy for them since they knew this going in.

#170 vherub

vherub

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:59 PM

at least they don't lose money on the 1 centers, right?
paypal fees are all of the 1st 30 cents, or is it a flat 30 cents per transaction?

#171 menikmati

menikmati

Isolation, self-damnation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:05 PM

Donated $10, was originally going to do $5 but then I found out that there's no DRM on it.

#172 scottman

scottman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:07 PM

Maybe they didn't want to taint the "experiment," but if they just posted that they don't make money under 30 cents in the first place, more people might have given more.

at least they don't lose money on the 1 centers, right?
paypal fees are all of the 1st 30 cents, or is it a flat 30 cents per transaction?

I just checked paypal, and it says there is a flat 30 cents + %:
https://www.paypal.c...side&countries=

I'm guessing paypal just takes whatever the value is for < 30 cents, since 2dboy said paypal probably lost money on the 1 CENTers.

But since this was a "donation," I wonder if they at least paid no fees for those who sent from a paypal balance or checking account.

Edited by scottman, 20 October 2009 - 07:20 PM.

#173 Gothic Walrus

Gothic Walrus

Goo Goo G'Joob.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:24 PM

Maybe they didn't want to taint the "experiment," but if they just posted that they don't make money under 30 cents in the first place, more people might have given more.

I do agree with that. Maybe it was ignorance on their part, but extending the sale and publicizing the fact now (especially since the $0.30 story ran on Kotaku, Joystiq and who knows how many other sites) might help to recoup some of that.

I just checked paypal, and it says there is a flat 30 cents + %:
https://www.paypal.c...side&countries=

I'm guessing paypal just takes whatever the value is for < 30 cents, since 2dboy said paypal probably lost money on the 1 CENTers.

2D Boy lost money on the jerks who paid a penny, too - remember, they've got to pay for bandwidth for that download.

Judging from the charts, I would guess that they're probably in the 2.2% fee category.

ah, a voice of logic in the form of a walrus

#174 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:00 AM

If I had known they only made .70 on the dollar I would have upped it to $2 or 3 instead of $1.

fs_overall.png

#175 boredasfook

boredasfook

Let's Get Weird!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:40 AM

thanks the game is awesome i feel sad that i bought it for a cent though...

Currently playing:
:pc: League of Legends/Titanfall
:3ds: Pokemon Y
:ps3: Okami HD

:ps4: NBA 2K14

#176 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:18 AM

If I had known they only made .70 on the dollar I would have upped it to $2 or 3 instead of $1.

There are processing fees that the merchant has to pay any time you use a credit card to purchase something. That's why many stores offer a discount if you pay cash, or enforce a minimum amount for credit card purchases, though they can get in trouble for this.

#177 jeepinillini

jeepinillini

Torque Obsessed Maniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:19 AM

thanks the game is awesome i feel sad that i bought it for a cent though...

Then buy another copy for a friend for a few bucks.
Posted Image

I'm not sure how many of you were still interested after the whole MILF thing, but knowing CAG, I'm sure it's a lot of you.

#178 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:32 AM

I paid full price for this on WiiWare. Totally worth every cent.

...I've been debating with myself if I should buy it again, but I don't know if I want to... I'm too cheap. (Yeah, I know I can pay next to nothing so the developer gets nothing, but that's not me. If I see another physical copy on clearance, I'll pick it up.)

#179 KyRoen

KyRoen

The Boss Luigi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:47 AM

Dang, I can't even get it, paypal declines my card... :bomb: arg it looks like a cool game too...

#180 Edge

Edge

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:58 AM

I actually wish they didn't use Paypal, since it's really a pain for fees and I hate to think that such a large portion of the donated money just ended up going to Paypal. Still, think I might have to put a few more dollars in and gift it to a friend.

I wonder what percentage Steam takes when a copy is sold on there...