Borderlands 39.96 at Wal-Mart [Canada Only]

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

#61 game_fanatic

game_fanatic

I Heart Ribs

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:36 AM

Apparently an e-mail has been sent to EB employees about this, they will NOT be price-matching. Something about not letting Wal-Mart bully them just in case they pull this kind of stuff on other AAA titles. But no mention of Future Shop, so maybe they're not aware about Future Shop doing this as well? So it's still up in the air, but it looks to be 90% sure they won't be price-matching with Wal-Mart.

Looks like EB will be having a lot of pre-orders switched to something else, then! :booty:
Posted Image

Posted Image
Looking for Trade-in Values?

#62 blackric

blackric

Domo Arigato Mr.Roboto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:08 AM

BB has dropped borderlands to 39.99 too so if you want it, preorder it while you can

PS3
http://www.bestbuy.c...gon=L&langid=EN

Xbox 360
http://www.bestbuy.c...754&catid=23374
Posted Imagehttp://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/393/BulletSmoke.pn

Posted Image
Join Goozex.com and never pay full price for games again!

#63 TripleQ

TripleQ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:43 AM

Yay, I was waiting for BB to match this. Got 3 and used a $10 off ($100+ purchases) Pizza Pizza coupon too! PIZZZ010205416642606

#64 firehawk12

firehawk12

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:53 AM

Ah, never mind. :lol:

#65 CrushEm

CrushEm

Stay Classy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:55 AM

Thanks blackric, grabbed myself a copy. Been looking forward to this game for awhile now. Says it won't get shipped arrive till the 26th but meh, I got enough backlog to occupy my time until then.

#66 Ranzo

Ranzo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:00 AM

EB will not be price matching this...

#67 Afrodiziak

Afrodiziak

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:45 AM

Ordered from Best Buy. Will be switching my T3 to Bioshock 2 or Assassins Creed 2.
[URL="http://psnprofiles.com/JasperAvenue"]Posted Image[/URL]

#68 xaznboi

xaznboi

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:47 AM

will this price be effective on tues. also?

#69 Afrodiziak

Afrodiziak

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:49 AM

Some are saying yes, some are saying no.

#70 Jouvert

Jouvert

Don't Stop Believin'

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:14 AM

BB has dropped borderlands to 39.99 too so if you want it, preorder it while you can

PS3

Xbox 360

I just loooove competition. Thanks Wal-Mart and keep it up with the price drops.

#71 pika

pika

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:46 AM

PS3

Xbox 360

Thanks, just preordered. I hope I don't see a cancellation email in the morning lol.

#72 snuter

snuter

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:53 AM

Man, I love the internet! Preordered a Canada only deal while I am vacationing in the USA! Free shipping on orders of $39.99, price matched at $39.99. Awesome, it'll be waiting for me when I get back.

#73 saad77

saad77

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:06 AM

I went to the FS website late last night (wed) and saw it was reg price, but put it in my cart anyway just in case they were going to match the price. When i logged on in the morning the price dropped but was already sold out and the one in my cart disappeared. :(

Right after that I called the FS near me and asked if i could preorder it and they said yes, just stop by. So I did, and now i'm happy i'm able to get in on this deal! :) The staff at FS said they had 20 copies of the game coming in and nobody else had preordered a copy before I did. I just hope walmart keeps this up and that FS keeps matching them.

#74 cswloo

cswloo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:07 AM

Ordered one from Best Buy with free shipping :D. There were 7 left when I completed my order a couple minutes ago.
Posted Image

#75 kyle071785

kyle071785

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:09 AM

i put a pre-order in @ BB (missed the chance to throw one in for FS)

I'm taking off on vacation until the 31st so hopefully this arrives while I'm away (which i assume it will)...when i get back I'll read some reviews and decide to keep it or return it

it looks good from early previews so far though

#76 kathos

kathos

Wooooooooo.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:33 AM

Grrrr why won't EB match this :(.

Also does anyone know if this is releasing on PC retail? Apparently the retail PC version has been cancelled.
Ex-Futureshop slave, ex-EB Games slave driver. Now Home Depot dreg.
Posted Image

#77 snuter

snuter

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:38 AM

Hey Kathos, if you want to buy this game with EB credit, just buy the PS3 version of Fallout 3 (non GOTY edition) for $44.99 used with your edge discount and it'll come to $40.49. The game trades to BB and FS for $40. Overall it'll cost you just about few dollars more, cause you guys have to pay PST as well...

#78 kathos

kathos

Wooooooooo.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:52 AM

Hey Kathos, if you want to buy this game with EB credit, just buy the PS3 version of Fallout 3 (non GOTY edition) for $44.99 used with your edge discount and it'll come to $40.49. The game trades to BB and FS for $40. Overall it'll cost you just about few dollars more, cause you guys have to pay PST as well...

Yeah but without the PC version I'm sunk :(.
Posted Image

#79 Talus

Talus

Graphics Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:51 AM

Yes, that price is sitting around my sweet spot. I would buy MOST games on release day if they were priced this way.

I was interested in Borderlands but I certainly was not interested enough to get it on release day. I will be picking this up now :)

I'm sick and tired of $69 + tax games.

#80 r3n4ud

r3n4ud

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:28 PM

Yes, that price is sitting around my sweet spot. I would buy MOST games on release day if they were priced this way.

I was interested in Borderlands but I certainly was not interested enough to get it on release day. I will be picking this up now :)

I'm sick and tired of $69 + tax games.

I totally agree. At that price point I would also be picking up new releases day 1. Hopefully this will make publishers realize that this is the ideal price for newly released games.

#81 Grease_Bits

Grease_Bits

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:22 PM

Good Idea! I can't justify spending $40 out of my college fund when I have enough EB credit to buy pretty much any game that I want. This will definitely be my backup plan, though I will call FS before buying Fallout 3, that game seems to be one day away from having a HUGE drop in price.

#82 gamer602

gamer602

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:07 PM

People, PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS GAME FROM EB GAMES!!!!!

MAKE SURE YOU CANCEL THE PREORDER!!!!! Do not transfer the deposit!

Cancel and choose another game if you have to....what EB is doing is wrong!
PLEASE EMAIL ME: gamer602 at gmail.com
DO NOT POST ON RFD!:bomb:
WAY too many HOARDERS THERE!

#83 game_fanatic

game_fanatic

I Heart Ribs

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:28 PM

If EB is not going to price match, it's safe to assume that people will be getting it from BB/FS/WM. This is CAG, after all.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Looking for Trade-in Values?

#84 Median

Median

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:59 PM

Good Idea! I can't justify spending $40 out of my college fund when I have enough EB credit to buy pretty much any game that I want. This will definitely be my backup plan, though I will call FS before buying Fallout 3, that game seems to be one day away from having a HUGE drop in price.

What's EB's return policy on used games again? I'm in the same boat with tons of EB credit and I'd like to go this Fallout route, but I'm worried I won't be able to find a copy since I'm probably gonna have to find a copy downtown Toronto due to my lovely school schedule. Does the game have to have their sticker on it to be returned?

EDIT: NM, had a chance to go down myself. Good thing about this whole scenario is that if I can't grab the game at FS or BB, I can go back to EB (SHOCK HORROR) and add Fallout back to my credit. Goddamn University poorness :/

Edited by Median, 16 October 2009 - 06:18 PM.

#85 sirplue

sirplue

is truly, outrageous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:03 PM

hey, Canadian CAGs - anybody interested in NFS: Shift, and wanna do a trade for Borderlands?

#86 Ranzo

Ranzo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:04 AM

Just to throw this out there. Walmart and FS/BB are still buying this game at regular price. selling it at 39.89 is a huge lose in sales, if EB was to keep doing this like they did with batman they would go out of business fast. Big box stores have other high margin items to make up for it.

#87 bi-gE

bi-gE

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:20 AM

Grrrr why won't EB match this :(.

Also does anyone know if this is releasing on PC retail? Apparently the retail PC version has been cancelled.

Just do what I did, get in on a steam 4 pack for the game. $33.75 US cost me around $37 CDN after paypal fee and conversion. Still a good deal.

end of line.

#88 SickBoy

SickBoy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:44 AM

Given the way Wal-Mart does business, I wouldn't be surprised if they're buying this at a discount from publishers and offering some sort of kickbacks \. Whatever the case, I applaud it. I hope they're making a compelling case for lower first-run retail prices.

EDIT: Scratch that... I wouldn't be surprised if they're bullying publishers into supplying these games at a discount.

#89 kathos

kathos

Wooooooooo.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:36 PM

Given the way Wal-Mart does business, I wouldn't be surprised if they're buying this at a discount from publishers and offering some sort of kickbacks \. Whatever the case, I applaud it. I hope they're making a compelling case for lower first-run retail prices.

EDIT: Scratch that... I wouldn't be surprised if they're bullying publishers into supplying these games at a discount.

I wouldn't think so, games aren't like certain brands and supermarket items and shit, games can be sold ANYWHERE.

The pull with Wal-Mart is that "we will get your item out to the people because we have a lot of stores with a lot of people coming through... this'll cost you though."

Games though, people think BB, FS, EB, etc when they think video games. Wal Mart's coming up there and they need to get in on this "videotape pac man" while they can. They wouldn't be doing the publishers any favours by buying it at a lower price, this is just WM's way of getting people IN, and while you're there they're hoping you'll fall for their low low prices.
Posted Image

#90 Afrodiziak

Afrodiziak

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:43 PM

I wouldn't think so, games aren't like certain brands and supermarket items and shit, games can be sold ANYWHERE.

The pull with Wal-Mart is that "we will get your item out to the people because we have a lot of stores with a lot of people coming through... this'll cost you though."

Games though, people think BB, FS, EB, etc when they think video games. Wal Mart's coming up there and they need to get in on this "videotape pac man" while they can. They wouldn't be doing the publishers any favours by buying it at a lower price, this is just WM's way of getting people IN, and while you're there they're hoping you'll fall for their low low prices.

It works. Last time I went to Wal-Mart to pick up a cheap game I ended up spending $150 on groceries. :lol: