Photo
- - - - -

CAGcast #175: The Citizen Kane of Podcasts

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#121 Jicky Jacks

Jicky Jacks

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:39 PM

anybody else get the feeling from that last show that wombat and cheapyd were kinda jealous about all the freebies shipwreck is getting?

Maybe jealous that they're not getting as much attention of publishers and getting stuff early, but not the fact that Shipwreck is getting things for free. Cheapyd makes good enough money to afford business class plane tickets to the States. I hardly think he'd be jealous of not getting freebies. Maybe Wombat, but I doubt it.

#122 thenexus6

thenexus6

more human than human

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:56 PM

Good show, I like you guys.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#123 Davestation

Davestation

Dont Cross The Streams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:42 AM

That may be your opinion, but the fact remains that speed remains a factor in over a third of all traffic fatalities. I think what is a far reach is you accusing me of backseat parenting. I'm not telling them how to rear their child. I'm telling them how to drive, which is actually called backseat...driving. My main point is it's not something to make light of, which I believe is a reasonably fair point.

I'm sorry, but I didn't make my self clear on agreeing with you on being an uptight prick. Not because of your speeding views, but because of your backseat parenting. Backseat parenting is referring to you lecturing Wombat and Mrs. Wombat on their driving, they are both adults. Comments like this:

Not only was she endangering the lives of everyone else on the road that day, but you had your daughter with you!...

and this:

She should be embarrassed and ashamed of herself...

and this:

Wombat, you also shouldn't be joking about it. You wouldn't joke about your wife driving drunk with your child in the car, you shouldn't in this case either.....

and this:

You're not teenagers anymore (not that it's right then either), so slow down....

So that sounds like a parent talking to kids. I never said that I thought speeding was right, I just did not like the way you went off and started to lecture Wombat. I never see Wombat respond to criticism like this. Speeding is wrong yes, but I do not think that Wombat needs the lecture you gave him. Wombat is a grown man and who are we to lecture him on something that his family does wrong?

I fear I may be deemed an uptight prick after this comment...

:applause:Agreed:applause:

But you dont seem that bad of a guy, just way over cautious witch is fine :)

Edited by Davestation, 19 October 2009 - 01:54 AM.

[IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG][IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG]

#124 Holy_Headshot

Holy_Headshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:49 AM

Cheapy I am so sorry, my heart and prayers go out to your family, I just heard the news today. If there is anything I can do, please let me know, although I'm sure your wife has more lawyer connections than I would. Don't sweat it, I'm sure you'll beat the charges, thank God Tai was in the attic and not in the balloon, but for heaven's sake----find something better to do with your time, play some X-Blades instead of letting him climb into anymore weather balloons! Great show, keep up the great work guys, Ship has been awesome on the cast, and no that comment isn't associated with any contest.
Posted Image

#125 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:31 AM

Cheapy I am so sorry, my heart and prayers go out to your family, I just heard the news today. If there is anything I can do, please let me know, although I'm sure your wife has more lawyer connections than I would. Don't sweat it, I'm sure you'll beat the charges, thank God Tai was in the attic and not in the balloon, but for heaven's sake----find something better to do with your time, play some X-Blades instead of letting him climb into anymore weather balloons! Great show, keep up the great work guys, Ship has been awesome on the cast, and no that comment isn't associated with any contest.

Wow, I was really confused for the first half of the post and it wasn't until the end when the joke was explained. :bouncy:

#126 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

Speeding is not that big of a deal. The problem is in-attentive, drunk, and distracted drivers. I'd rather people go speeding by me than having them drive and trying to text and end up crashing. To imply that she put her daughter in harms way is a far reach. Mrs. Wombat will get points deducted and if she continues this trend than she will get more points deducted until her license gets suspended. It would be one thing to argue that she was speeding thru a construction or school zone, but on a highway with probably other speeders? Thats reaching far and don't throw things around like she put her kid in danger, back seat parenting is realy fucking annoying....She got one ticket, we all make mistakes and if she goes to trial for the ticket the judge will take past incidents (if any) into consideration. Also, the insurance company is going to bump rates up too so I am sure that Wombat is just trying to make lite of what happened.

Speeding is a big deal and a moronic thing to do, especially when you have a baby in the car. How the hell can you justify otherwise?

Edited by ratzombie, 19 October 2009 - 09:49 AM.

#127 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:44 PM

Speeding is a big deal and a moronic thing to do, especially when you have a baby in the car. How the hell can you justify otherwise?

You can't justify it, but to defend my wife we were on a Major Highway (the LIE), and it was empty (close to the east end at 9am on a Sunday). Also the she was not going as fast as the cop said she was, I would say she was doin 77ish in a 65, not over 80. But still speeding. But at what point does it make that big a difference is 80 that much faster then 65? 65 is still very fast and dangerous, should we have stuck to service roads and driven 25 the whole way?

#128 Jicky Jacks

Jicky Jacks

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

You can't justify it, but to defend my wife we were on a Major Highway (the LIE), and it was empty (close to the east end at 9am on a Sunday). Also the she was not going as fast as the cop said she was, I would say she was doin 77ish in a 65, not over 80. But still speeding. But at what point does it make that big a difference is 80 that much faster then 65? 65 is still very fast and dangerous, should we have stuck to service roads and driven 25 the whole way?

Well let me apologize for criticizing your wife's driving when I should have been criticizing Wombat for lying on the show. I imagine Mrs. Wombat is not too happy with you for saying she was going 25miles over the speed limit (you said she was doing 80 in a 55), when it was actually more like 12. While it's still speeding and shouldn't really be joked about, it's quite different than what you said on the show. Don't know if you were trying to go for dramatic effect on the show or what.

#129 primesuspct

primesuspct

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:34 PM

Ok I am a long time listener and this is the first time I'm posting some show feedback While listing to cagcast# 175 I heard wombat COMPLAIN about DJ Hero and complain about the "MASHUPS" DUDE what kinda DJ Game would it be if there wasn't MIXES/Blends/Mashups or w/e you wanna call them I mean do u expect just to play one song?? that's what rock band/guitar hero is for!! This is coming from a real DJ I'm excited about this game and as a hip-hop head I'm happy that the genre is being incorporated into a game

#130 Davestation

Davestation

Dont Cross The Streams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:25 PM

Let me rephrase what I meant:

"Speeding is not that big of a deal compared to inatintive, drunk, and distracted drivers."

I never said speeding was right and just mentioned that there are worse things out there to do on the road. Everyone has speed at one part in there life. It doesn't warrant someone lecturing them on a video game deal forum over it. Also your telling me that if you where in Kansas and a tornado was tailing you that you would stick to the speed limit of 55? Speeding is warranted in some rare cases, but I hardly doubt that the Wombat's where running from a tornado. Another time I speed is when everyone else does it around me, I am not going to take the chance of another speeder not paying attention and rear end me at 75 with my kids in the car.
[IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG][IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG]

#131 Conboy

Conboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:42 PM

Let's keep the podcast somewhat Ginger free. Sorry Shipwreck.:D
Posted Image

Posted Image

#132 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:50 PM

It's not as bad as you made it out to be on the show. But it's a still reckless thing to do.

Lets put that in a form we can all appreciate, is $80.00 that much more than $65.00? In regards to speeding, it is significant because of how much your reaction time is diminished, and there can always be unexpected situations when driving that you may need to respond to quickly enough.

Don't be ridiculous, going the speed limit is fine. You don't have to take it to such an extreme on either end of the spectrum, all I'm saying is you should be a little more careful, especially with a baby in the car.

/high_horse

#133 Jicky Jacks

Jicky Jacks

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:18 PM

Let me rephrase what I meant:

"Speeding is not that big of a deal compared to inatintive, drunk, and distracted drivers."

I never said speeding was right and just mentioned that there are worse things out there to do on the road. Everyone has speed at one part in there life. It doesn't warrant someone lecturing them on a video game deal forum over it. Also your telling me that if you where in Kansas and a tornado was tailing you that you would stick to the speed limit of 55? Speeding is warranted in some rare cases, but I hardly doubt that the Wombat's where running from a tornado. Another time I speed is when everyone else does it around me, I am not going to take the chance of another speeder not paying attention and rear end me at 75 with my kids in the car.

The point is really moot now cause Wombat actually grossly misrepresented the facts in his retelling. However, IF she had been going 25 miles over the speed limit and Wombat joked about it on the show, it would have been something serious and worth criticism. Going that far over the limit would be stupid and just as dangerous as inattentive, drunk, or distracted driving. You do realize that many states would consider that Reckless Driving and she would have likely had her license suspended. But, like I said, it matters not because it didn't happen and going 12miles over the limit within a faster posted speed limit than 55 is drastically different (still not recommended, but not nearly as bad).

Btw, I still have no idea why you called me a "backseat parent". I think you meant I was acting like I was the Wombats' parents, in which case "backseat parent" makes no sense. A backseat parent would be one who second guesses another party's parenting/child rearing, so I don't think the term fits for the point you were trying to make.

#134 Davestation

Davestation

Dont Cross The Streams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:39 AM

It was a bad pun referring to back seat driving and you lecturing Wombat like you are the parent. That's all and I am not worried about it at all and Wombat and I got into something awhile ago that he exaggerated. You need to exaggerate to the audience to make it more appealing. Than again Wombat is probably laughing at our rants back and fourth. It was not the speeding comments that you mentioned, but the lectures that I found annoying. Oh well, time to look forward to the next CAGcast in a few days...

#135 johnnyrocker360

johnnyrocker360

BROTHERRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:21 AM

man i didn't realize speeding would cause such a uproar. holy shit it's not like mrs. wombat dangled her baby from a balcony or something.
Blarg

Posted Image

#136 Jicky Jacks

Jicky Jacks

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:46 AM

It was a bad pun referring to back seat driving and you lecturing Wombat like you are the parent. That's all and I am not worried about it at all and Wombat and I got into something awhile ago that he exaggerated. You need to exaggerate to the audience to make it more appealing. Than again Wombat is probably laughing at our rants back and fourth. It was not the speeding comments that you mentioned, but the lectures that I found annoying. Oh well, time to look forward to the next CAGcast in a few days...

Yep, I think we both agree then that it's all Wombat's fault. No surprise there.;)

#137 Henry Gondorff

Henry Gondorff

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:15 PM

As an English teacher in Seoul, I've got to say that CheapyD would be a great teacher. I never use Korean in my class because the laughter would be a huge distraction. As far as my students know, I don't speak any of the language. Futhermore, nobody seems to expect me to learn it beyond the basic ability I have.

Korean students get plenty of grammar lessons already so I really don't get into it much. Once in a while I will get a student trying to trip me up with grammar questions. The way I see it, I'm here to teach them how not to talk like a robot.

It doesn't pay very well and you have to put in a lot of hours to prepare, so you probably don't want to give up CAG for English teaching.

p.s. Ducktales for NES is awesome!

#138 bjkrautk

bjkrautk

Now with Added Sarcasm.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:23 PM

I only skimmed the thread, but I didn't see anyone reference Cheapy's "I speak English good" / 'learn them some English' (paraphrasing the last bit). That was some delightfully-underplayed humor there, which doesn't happen that often on the podcast.

Hearing the SMBSS theme for probably the first time in 20+ years made my day; had to post to thank you for digging it up off YouTube.

I'm fine with Shipwreck being a part-time contributor to the podcast, but I don't know that I want him to be on every show (if only because that would serve to emphasize how many games he really plays during the week).

Metroid Prime holds a bit of a special place in my gaming heart. The GameCube was the first console that I had ever hooked up to a receiver / surround system, so playing that game that way for the first time, and the environment that Retro Studios had created....really emphasized the sense of isolation that I felt as the character. (I think I noticed it right around the mid-point in the game, after you get the grapple beam back....somewhere around the crashed spaceship.) That the game conveyed real emotion with an economy of language (none at all, unless you count the scan visor), and did so better than any game I had played before or have played since. The "Citizen Kane" comparisons may be a bit overblown, but in terms of the video game as art, this is one of the few games that I could really feel and react to.

Finally, Duck Tales is also one of the first NES games that I remember having beaten. I don't know why Scrooge's cane doubles as a pogo stick, I just know that it was a ton of fun to play.

#139 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:27 PM

Why hate on NeoGAF, Cheapy? I'm a regular there and it's full of the same people who visit CAG on a daily basis. Sure, some forum members are jerks, but it's not any different than most other large video game forums. Alot of people from the gaming industry also post in that forum frequently so it' not a bad place to chat with some developers and game site editors.

Btw, there were lots of people who posted CAGcast as one of their favorite podcasts in that GAF thread (including me). Did you happen to skip those posts? ;)
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#140 cr_blah_blah

cr_blah_blah

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:48 AM

Of course you use the crossfader and scratching, they're not just there for looks. It'd be ridiculous to think you're just tapping 3 buttons with 1 hand and that's it. You switch between songs and can even rewind sections to play them again for more points. Here's a couple of videos of the harder levels that show the other elements:

#141 xPolakNinja

xPolakNinja

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:32 PM

Hey cheapy
I was just wondering cos im not sure what day does the podcast come out ?
I have them but just not sure what day
Thanks

#142 spoo

spoo

Wood for your sheep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:22 PM

On the issue of Shipwreck; I do enjoy him on the show but I would like it better if he was on for just part of the show (during the video game discussions) instead of on throughout the whole show.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Cos by Ozzkev55 | Cock by OTM
The original CAGaming lagoon thread.

#143 Microshock

Microshock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:32 AM

Yeah, and after that whole Demons Souls thing he did where he claimed the game was harder for the US release and then finding out his info was wrong just made me question his info in general.

I like Wombat and CheapyD alone, and Shipwreck once in a while on every 20 or so shows? Just bring back Foreplay, i think you guys can make it work somehow, there has to be a time when you 2 can do it.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - July 1, 2011 (was AWESOME)
STEAM- Microshocky Origin/Battlelog Microshock

#144 agentxricky

agentxricky

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:35 PM

Yeah, and after that whole Demons Souls thing he did where he claimed the game was harder for the US release and then finding out his info was wrong just made me question his info in general.

I like Wombat and CheapyD alone, and Shipwreck once in a while on every 20 or so shows? Just bring back Foreplay, i think you guys can make it work somehow, there has to be a time when you 2 can do it.

Yeah, I can see how someone making a mistake would just be the worst thing in the world.

Totally offsets the fact that he's a nice guy, a great straight man for the other two, and probably the best informed gamer of the podcast.

Geez.

#145 Khalid

Khalid

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:57 PM

Wow! Come on somebody makes a mistake and you question his info in general.
But I do agree about CheapyD and Wombat, I prefer this team. I think Shipwreck knows a lot more about video games than half of the people on CAG. I hope we will see CAG Foreplay again.
I listen to CAG Foreplay for info on video games and CAGcast for entertainment.

#146 Holy_Headshot

Holy_Headshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:11 AM

Sheesh, there's a lot of Wombat haters here! The guy shares a funny story, and everyone jumps down his throat, WTH? So what have you learned Wombat? No personal stories, seems everyone likes the show drab and boring. And wrap that baby in bubble wrap, cuz otherwise you'll have a horde of CAG's pouncing on your every mistake. lol
Posted Image

#147 baldisthenewhair

baldisthenewhair

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

During your Nintendo talk you touched on the fact that the black version of the Wiimote and Nunchuck are making their way stateside, and I had a flashback to the days before the Wii came out when it was still called the "Revolution".

In 2005-2006, Nintendo's marketing people went on and on about how this console was going to take a departure from the standard white/black/gray and come in a wide variety of colors, at launch right? I specifically remember photos showing the Revolution/Wii in red, green, silver, etc.

So now a full 3 years Nintendo is throwing us a black Wiimote as the only color option. Does anyone else think that this is really lame? I mean, we occasionally get a colorful DS model but the Wii has been stuck in white for 3 years and they led everyone to believe that they were going to give us more options for the hues of our consoles.

I'm not really complaining, and I don't care that much about Wii colors, I guess I just wish that when games/consoles are announced and bragged about at tradeshows that these companies would follow through and deliver on the features that are supposed to make their products great.

This is exactly the same as Microsoft promising that the Live Marketplace would be a place you could make REAL money, or SONY talking about cross-game invites on the PS3. These companies can get away with delivering some of the features at launch and then once they've made their money, they haphazardly throw us the features they talked about in the beginning.

Here's an Engadget post from 2005 - http://www.engadget....ndo-revolution/

Also, if anyone cares about colored Wii consoles I guess you could go to http://www.colorwarepc.com and get that done but I'm sure most people would rather have the choice up front.
www.danalmasy.com | www.goodgameguys.com

#148 Davestation

Davestation

Dont Cross The Streams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:59 AM

To be fair out of all the times I have listened to Shipwreck that is the only mistake I've heard him say. His knowledge of video games is way more than either of the two hosts. He even came on the following week and acknowledged his mistake. He is only bad to have on when Cheapy is talking about drugs imo.

#149 Microshock

Microshock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:19 AM

I think people took it the wrong way, but the problem with that info was that he made all 3 hosts rage about how Demons Souls supposedly had higher difficulties.

Yeah, i take back what i say about questioning his info now, he does know a lot, Wombat and Cheapy make a hell a lot more mistakes.

Not a permanent host, just every once in a while to spice it up
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - July 1, 2011 (was AWESOME)
STEAM- Microshocky Origin/Battlelog Microshock

#150 sinewav

sinewav

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:32 PM

CheapyD I know you've heard this a lot already but I thought I would add my vote to to the, please give us more Shipwreck on the CAGCast! I would love to hear more from him in the future, gracias.