Help with Final Fantasy III

Spybreak8

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Got this game with the 20 buck 2 DS deal walmart.com had a while ago. Man this game is killing me over and over and I've played other RPGs before along with the popular FF title on the SNES. Ok so I have the full four party members and am tasked to enter the cave in the North with the Airship which I acquired. I die every time in that cave and I think I need to lvl grind or something, where's a good spot to do this and then how will I know if I'm ready. I want to like this game but its hard to get into. :bomb:

Any help would be appreciated, I've looked at a few guides but there is only so much you can gain from text maps and such lol.

Yeah, it has been a long time since I played this. What are your character levels, what equipment do you have and what classes ?

Probably the answer is "grind."

This was pretty fun though, I thought. Messing with all the classes was great.

I think the answer to almost everything in FFIII is "grind." I had to quit at the end because I needed another 5-10 levels to survive the endgame. :p

[quote name='botticus']I think the answer to almost everything in FFIII is "grind." I had to quit at the end because I needed another 5-10 levels to survive the endgame. :p[/QUOTE]

Quitter!

yeah, any FF title... grind somewhere is required.

[quote name='botticus']I think the answer to almost everything in FFIII is "grind." I had to quit at the end because I needed another 5-10 levels to survive the endgame. :p[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I still got my money's worth though, because I played it a ton.

Hmm no I have regular armor and longswords, plus I know you can change your job but can't figure out how to do it so all of my party members are freelancer. I'm fairly in the beginning but I did some grinding in the north east cave, where the game starts, after I acquired all four team members. Design wise this lacks in the info to give to the player like oh you can't go into that cave yet since you're not strong enough.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Hmm no I have regular armor and longswords, plus I know you can change your job but can't figure out how to do it so all of my party members are freelancer. I'm fairly in the beginning but I did some grinding in the north east cave, where the game starts, after I acquired all four team members. Design wise this lacks in the info to give to the player like oh you can't go into that cave yet since you're not strong enough.[/QUOTE]

You've just been spoiled by RPGs nowadays where they actually tell you that. To be honest, if you keep dying, that should just be your hint that you need to go level up some more. That's how it was done in the old days, and shouldn't be any different now. Why does the game have to tell you you're in the wrong place. If you keep dying, you're in the wrong place. Go train some more.

[quote name='Squarehard']You've just been spoiled by RPGs nowadays where they actually tell you that. To be honest, if you keep dying, that should just be your hint that you need to go level up some more. That's how it was done in the old days, and shouldn't be any different now. Why does the game have to tell you you're in the wrong place. If you keep dying, you're in the wrong place. Go train some more.[/QUOTE]

You're talking to a gamer but more importantly a game art & design alumni. Yes the game should give the player a hint or a warning that they are going the wrong way or are not tough enough to face off in the dangerous cave. If you design the game so the player just keeps dying because they aren't ready numerous gamers are going to get frustrated and walk away. Its not uncommon to think that the Japanese market is more adapt in this area as the seriousness of JRPG players would just do what you said die and die and keep doing the trial and error.

I've been level grinding a bit but seriously there are so many other games to play that I'm leaning towards others atm.

Like Squarehard said, gamers today are spoiled. So many things have been "watered down", games damn near hold your hands nowadays. Especially in a jrpg, a lot of the fun was exploration/discovery. I mean you go into a new area and get obliterated, howmany times are you going to REPEATEDLY keep trying that. Once or twice you should figure out you're underleveled/need upgraded equipment, or jobs, or whatever.

I've been playing the new Ys Seven. Wandered into an area fairlyy early...some big dinosaur type creature killed both my party members with 3,000-7,000hp attacks (I was level 3 with under 200 hp). Made me LMAO, not frustrted, just figured out I wasn't supposed to be there yet.

[quote name='Spybreak8']You're talking to a gamer but more importantly a game art & design alumni. Yes the game should give the player a hint or a warning that they are going the wrong way or are not tough enough to face off in the dangerous cave. If you design the game so the player just keeps dying because they aren't ready numerous gamers are going to get frustrated and walk away. Its not uncommon to think that the Japanese market is more adapt in this area as the seriousness of JRPG players would just do what you said die and die and keep doing the trial and error.

I've been level grinding a bit but seriously there are so many other games to play that I'm leaning towards others atm.[/QUOTE]

Just remember that this game is a remake of the FF3 released in 1990 on the NES. You have to judge it by 1990 standards, and learn from it. It's the same with literature; if you take Huckleberry Finn, for instance, you can see how race relations were when it was written/set, and compare and contrast it with today.

So, either accept that this is how FF3 is, or move on and give it away to a friend, trade it, or sell it. And that is fine too.

I wouldn't mind the ambiguity of the the game but then when I forget to save or didn't save in the right place and get my ass handed to me, redoing parts of the game gets to be like a chore.

But there is one advantage with the DS version. You have the exit spell. When you seem be doing a little bad, just get out and save.

[quote name='Spybreak8']I wouldn't mind the ambiguity of the the game but then when I forget to save or didn't save in the right place and get my ass handed to me, redoing parts of the game gets to be like a chore.[/QUOTE]

Save early and save often. Its one thing I have picked up quite well from all of my years of playing RPGs. May not apply as much to many RPGs nowadays since some games lets you save practically everywhere. But its a nice habit to have.

bread's done
Back