CAGcast #176: Uprage!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][img-l=4668]3078[/img-l]Cheapy and Wombat talk Borderlands, Uncharted 2, Forza 3, and bunch of other stuff, mostly involving video games. We've also got industry and game shopping news, your questions and comments from the CAGbag and Twitter and oh so much more!

[podcast]85[/podcast]
Download - 100 minutes, 40MB

Review us on iTunes!

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$6.95 domain = CAGDOMAIN [/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Photos:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rattlemonster']Best of luck to you and your family, Wombat. Sorry about the news.[/QUOTE]

Very much so. Thanks for the new episode guys, will listen to tomorrow.

Ha, it's funny you guys brought up GiantBomb because on their podcast they talk about your 7 patty Whopper video near the end of their show.

I also think Wombat needs to do that thing he did with Josh from iFanboy (where he told a similar story about being brushed off) and somehow get Jeff to appear on the show!

I almost forgot - I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather as well, Wombat. My grandmother passed away this summer, so I know how it feels. It's like you realize that life is finite, but you obviously still feel bad either way.

Hi Cheapy,

I use my 6 month old iMac as my PC gaming machine by having a dual boot OS (hold down option key on boot). I installed a pre-release build of 7 and it was more than powerful enough to run Crysis...the video I made is here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PushPixel#p/a/u/0/m9PIR6VGIYo

I couldn't handle more wires, plugs, mice and keyboards...I like the minimalist setup, but I also wanted to keep in touch with PC gaming.

If you can justify it get the new 27" monster iMac with the ATI4850 gfx card (which is the same as in my machine).

BTW...I think there are a bunch of issues trying to use the new mac as a monitor with mini display port in...unless the signal is coming from a displayport out...no dice. Guess converters may be released but yet another box/wire!! argh!!!

Was it just me or did this CAGcast seem a little...boring?

Just seems like everything was really straight-forward with very little funny personal stories told.

[quote name='DarkZion']Was it just me or did this CAGcast seem a little...boring?

Just seems like everything was really straight-forward with very little funny personal stories told.[/QUOTE]

It seems they can't win. When they tell too many personal stories, everyone seems to complain that they need to stick to game news and such.

It's probably a good idea to put the Netflix trial link somwhere in the shownotes.

David you sharted

Cheapy, it's pronounced "gooz-ex," not "goose sex." I can't believe Wombat didn't comment when you said "everybody loves goose sex." Perhaps he was too drunk. Great show as always. Thank you.

Great show guys :D. I would of course be honored if either of you kicked me in the balls and stomped on my neck if I ever tried to introduce myself to you...

Since you mentioned the disturbing FatalFarm DuckTales parody video, you should go check out the rest of the TV intros that are on FatalFarm's site. There are a few that are even more... "out there." (for example, the Zoobilee Zoo one)

http://www.fatalfarm.com/tvthemes.html

CAGTrade, no. CAGMarketplace, no.

CAGeXchange, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope I get a free game out of it.

Good discusion of Public Enemies, the other super hero working for the governemnt is Major Force. My son and I really enjoyed watching this a few weeks back. There battle midway through that is a who's who of DC Supervillians. It gets silly by the end, but overall great direct-to-dvd release. The Green Lantern one was pretty good as well.

Also, a little factoid on Blue Moon, it is brewed by Coors, but has an interesting history, it was originally developed as a microbrew that was to be brewed and sold at Coors Field. Anybody try the new BL Wheat? I imagine this will be pretty close to Blue Moon, but haven't tried it.

Another great Wheat beer, but I am not sure if it has made it nationally yet, is Boulevard Wheat out of KC.

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn-hw.liveleak.com%2Fs%2F11%2Fmedia11%2F2009%2FOct%2F27%2FLiveLeak-dot-com-7e040882bda1-modern_warfare_2_airport.fl

Hey Cheapy... way to say $60 and less on the BB deal, it's 59.99 and less... Ass :p

Oh yeah, great Podcast btw, one of the few I can actually listen to!

for some reason the mp3 was only an 1hr min long when I downloaded the first time. That was right when cheapy claimed he had to take out the garbage and there was silence until I realized the mp3 finished playing.

this cast dragged in the beginning especially with the whole comic book stuff.

sorry to hear about your granddad Wombat. hope your family is doing well. i can't believe Cheapy doesn't know what a hospice is.

firestorm wasnt in that dc comics movie. it was another guy who was kinda like captin atom and as far as black lightning being a token character and not doing much he created a force field to hold in the radioactive power of the guy in orange while captin atom absorbed it not to mention kicking some ass alongside the other heros on luthors payrole. the movie was alot better than cheapy described it and was loaded with fights and action ( way more than i was expecting) and alot of the jokes between batman and superman were funny.

the show coulda used some shipwreck though.

I heard CheapyD mention that he recently got a Kindle int. I just recently got one as well and figured I'd share a tip. There are a lot of web articles which I never finish because it's too much of a hassle to read them online. Eg the article on Gamasutra about the Last Express (they discussed it some time ago on Idle Thumbs, which was why I looked at it). Converting it and putting it on the Kindle made for a lot more pleasant experience than reading in a browser.

First, get http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/
which is a free (open source) ebook converter for Windows, Linux and Mac. Get the article and save the "print all' version of it and convert with the tool.

So now I'm on the hunt for more good (longer) articles to read, does anyone have any tips on that?

(The Last Express article is at http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3862/the_last_express_revisiting_an_.php.)

Cheapy, another feature of the Facebook app (although I have no way of verifying it) is that you can view XBL profiles of your facebook friends if they're not on your XBL friends list. So it could be used if you guys wanted to setup CAG game nights easier in the future if you added facebook friends.

Wombat, it was announced that you can share tracks online for Excitebike World Rally. Only 4000 digit friend codes required!

Now that we've seen drunken Wombat on the show, what variations will come next?

Nice Cagcast, I like the alcohol from Wombat, lets see some more drinking next week! Also look forward to your halloween stories...hope there are some this year :)

Also, I think now that the show is over it is time for the Jimmie Mac appearance on the Cagcast w/ an interview or something! Come on Cheapy!

PS-> You mentioned before meeting up w/ Him and Tek in NYC, did that happen???

I don't think Wombat should really comment on the number of PC gamers the MW2 shit affects. People on the PC love COD. People on the PC pay money for their hardware and basically what is a more complex experience than consoles FOR an EXPERIENCE they cant get on consoles.

That experience ladies and gentlemen is called dedicated servers, community and mods. Dedicated servers are important because communities have a singular (or many, if a certain community has many) place to go to. That means you basically can play with a group of people you like on a daily basis which wouldnt work with IWnet and simple matchmaking.

How dare Infinity Ward, who started the franchise on the PC, and gave COD4 such robust tools, then spit in our faces. It must be Activision who saw they cant make extra money for Bobby Kotick's plastic surgery and tried to lock down the pc platform to charge for map packs.

It's bullshit and i suggest PC gamers stray far away from it until they fix it. We're not bitching, I'm personally getting it on the PS3, but a console is a console and the PC is a PC, and whats the point of playing on a PC if you get a console style experience.

AND THE GAME IS fuckING 60 DOLLARS! FOR LESS FEATURES THAN COD4!

Hey Wombat sorry to hear about your grandpa not being well. My mom had hospice at home when she passed away from cancer last year. It's always tough to see a loved one so close to death and not be able to do anything about it.

Here's Power Girl for the curious:

sweet-power-girl.gif

[quote name='mik']Since you mentioned the disturbing FatalFarm DuckTales parody video, you should go check out the rest of the TV intros that are on FatalFarm's site. There are a few that are even more... "out there." (for example, the Zoobilee Zoo one)

http://www.fatalfarm.com/tvthemes.html[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I just had to find out what they were talking about. Man, that video is sure messed up.

Seemed like a less than epic show guys. I would know because I usually listen to each show twice. Your enthusiasm totally died toward the end of this one with the CagBag questions. Next week had better be the super shipwreck spectacular like you mentioned!! Also, I'm still searching for that ducktails video.

Edit: Oh shit I should read the forum before I post next time, thanks mik!

A big thumbs up to Cheapy for admitting he didn't know anything about the removal of dedicated servers for MW2 and then not commenting on it.

There's been a lot of coverage about how no dedicated servers means no mods, but it's a lot more basic than even that. I played about 40 hours of CoD 4 multiplayer on the PC, and most of that time was spent on servers with 20, 30 or 40 other people, with little-to-no lag. The large scale of the battles was a huge part of the fun.

Because MW2 will be using P2P matchmaking, PC gamers who buy it will be stuck with a maximum of 16 players with lag depending on the connection of whoever is hosting the game. Check out what the founder of Infinity Ward had to say about the importance of dedicated servers just before CoD 4 was released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMfTR8PBrsE

[quote name='Curufinwe']A big thumbs up to Cheapy for admitting he didn't know anything about the removal of dedicated servers for MW2 and then not commenting on it.

There's been a lot of coverage about how no dedicated servers means no mods, but it's a lot more basic than even that. I played about 40 hours of CoD 4 multiplayer on the PC, and most of that time was spent on servers with 20, 30 or 40 other people, with little-to-no lag. The large scale of the battles was a huge part of the fun.

Because MW2 will be using P2P matchmaking, PC gamers who buy it will be stuck with a maximum of 16 players with lag depending on the connection of whoever is hosting the game. Check out what the founder of Infinity Ward had to say about the importance of dedicated servers just before CoD 4 was released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMfTR8PBrsE[/QUOTE]

*sniff* That video brought a tear to my eye. It was like activision cared :(
I think Bobby took that man and slept in his organs shortly after.

I was going to suggest exChAnGe as well, pro: CAG Exchange- the word exchange lends itself well to a logo, with the letters CAG inside of it.

I look forward to seeing what Cheapy says about Borderlands. It's a neat game, just started it. I don't find the story compelling, but then again nobody promised it would be. I would like it to have more depth in that respect, even if the jobs are go kill, go fetch.

It's funny how both of you CAGhosts have switched to mostly single player gameplay from the online stuff you guys talked about doing more. How do you think that having kids has affect you guys with respect to your gaming habits?

I can say that I cherish solid non-violent games, although there are few of them that I want to play. I also like 'family' games like 'Nintendo' titles for play with the kids. I hate to foreshadow, but when your kids are around 5, you may just play with your Wii or whatever Nintendo console is around at the time. Nooo!

bread's done
Back